Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added

The Roberts Space Industries website announces an expansion of multiplayer access to Arena Commander, saying an additional 50,000 players have been granted star citizenship to this beta Star Citizen multiplayer module (you can see the module in action in this user-created video). Also, another update introduces the Origin M50 Racer, a new spaceship they are selling for $90.00 USD (actual game and happy endings not included). Just like with sports cars, the pitch here is to go fast and exclude women: "Perfect for the mercenary who prefers speed over armor in a dogfight… or the weekend warrior looking to impress the ladies." Back to where we started, here's word on adding more multiplayer testers:

And it’s all looking good! In addition to eliminating rubber-banding, it looks like the 12.5 fixes have dramatically increased the Arena Commander experience. Today, we made some additional fixes to our server from that data. We’re now comfortable beginning to expand the multiplayer rollout again!

As we head into the weekend, we are expanding the multiplayer base by 50,000 additional Citizens. If your Citizen Number is 250,000 or below, you will now have access to Arena Commander’s multiplayer modes. The team will sit down next week to review the data and make a call on a larger expansion.

This post will be updated as additional players are invited.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 5, 2014, 12:07 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 11:25:
Flatline wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 15:05:
Well depending on how optimistic you are that's either because "it's an alpha!" (which seems to be the blanket excuse, even for game design decisions) or the slightly more realistic cop that Chris Roberts has a hardon for a more simulator experience than a game, or the more cynical suspicion that the flight control model is intentionally obtuse because it's the dodge required to avoid the accusations of pay to win.
The handling is different to other games because the physics is modelled accurately, meaning when you turn you have to allow for deceleration from thrusters firing in the opposite direction. It also means that when thrusters are damaged the ship handling can be dramatically altered.

As for the game being more of a simulator than a game, the RSI forums are filled with people complaining that it's too dumbed down. Handling is something that is going to receive substantial work before release and each patch usually improves things. Personally I think it's a nice balance and what I expected given Chris Roberts' previous games.

1st. Bullshit. That means that in first person mode my head has fucking thrusters in it when I mouselook and get that atrocious rubber-band effect. The same "physics" as the ship.

2nd. Except that when the game was pitched to me and I paid for it I wasn't going for a hardcore Newtonian physics space sim.

I already had one of those called Independence War and it was interesting but not something totally amazing.

3rd. It's not even an accurate Newtonian physics model.

Oh wait that's right. I'm not allowed to criticize because it's an ALPHA which is a get out of jail free card.

Edit: 4th. Actually the design-by-committee by hardcore grognard neckbeards isn't a n enduring or promising thing. I can already see if shit hits the fan the scapegoat of "well this is what you wanted!" will be invoked.

I'll just leave this here:
http://www.themagazine.ca/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/homerfront1.jpg

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 5, 2014, 11:25 theyarecomingforyou

Flatline wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 15:05:
Well depending on how optimistic you are that's either because "it's an alpha!" (which seems to be the blanket excuse, even for game design decisions) or the slightly more realistic cop that Chris Roberts has a hardon for a more simulator experience than a game, or the more cynical suspicion that the flight control model is intentionally obtuse because it's the dodge required to avoid the accusations of pay to win.
The handling is different to other games because the physics is modelled accurately, meaning when you turn you have to allow for deceleration from thrusters firing in the opposite direction. It also means that when thrusters are damaged the ship handling can be dramatically altered.

As for the game being more of a simulator than a game, the RSI forums are filled with people complaining that it's too dumbed down. Handling is something that is going to receive substantial work before release and each patch usually improves things. Personally I think it's a nice balance and what I expected given Chris Roberts' previous games.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

63. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 4, 2014, 17:24 Kosumo

Off to get loan so I can collect all the internet spaceships.

(really just testing if I can post on Blues again after losing my password)

62. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 4, 2014, 15:06 saluk

Ryan Lange wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 20:33:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 20:27:
[snip]

Why is any of that so utterly important for an alpha release?

Edit: Hell, they could have chosen not to do a "public" alpha. You should be thanking them for giving you something to screw with your hate boner.

Edit #2: Here's a screenshot of StarCraft during development. What a piece of shit that game turned out to be. Oh, wait...

This is what I expect from alpha. Lack of graphical polish, focus on gameplay.

It's the OPPOSITE of what we are seeing in the Star Citizen alphas. A lot of focus on polish on weird features, and lack of any substance.

61. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 4, 2014, 15:05 Flatline

Optional Nickname! wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 22:05:
The current flying in Star Citizen is very peculiar.

It is as if all the flight modes you have used before, including the established Wing Commander ones have been purposely left out.

Because, reasons.

Well depending on how optimistic you are that's either because "it's an alpha!" (which seems to be the blanket excuse, even for game design decisions) or the slightly more realistic cop that Chris Roberts has a hardon for a more simulator experience than a game, or the more cynical suspicion that the flight control model is intentionally obtuse because it's the dodge required to avoid the accusations of pay to win. After all, if the fucking thing is too difficult to control, then yes, someone with some piloting skills will be able to take down a 500 dollar ship in a dogfight.

Of course, that ignores early dev statements that the flight model would be more familiar to us because fun games are better than pain in the ass simulators.

But then again not much of the original game design still exists at this point.

60. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 4, 2014, 14:56 Flatline

Ryan Lange wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 20:33:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 20:27:
[snip]

Why is any of that so utterly important for an alpha release?

Edit: Hell, they could have chosen not to do a "public" alpha. You should be thanking them for giving you something to screw with your hate boner.

Actually, when I kickstarted they were pretty clear that the DFM/Arena Commander release wouldn't be an alpha.

That being said, with all the billions of modules in this goddamn thing and all the stretch goals, I can't even begin to imagine the maintenance that will be required on this game. You'll have knowledge of the program spread out over like 20 different companies.

I really don't see this game *not* having either insane F2P style monetization or a subscription stapled to it. The logistics just to issue a patch is going to be insane.

59. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 4, 2014, 09:12 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 00:09:
Cutter wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 20:52:
SlimRam wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 20:34:
I once asked for a 'happy ending' after a massage and the masseuse leaned over, with a smile on her face, and whispered in my ear, "And they all lived happily ever after"

I once asked for one and she gave my nuts a titty twister and sailed out of the room laughing while saying 'You didn't specify happy ending for whom.'
If you had to ask you went to the wrong place from the start.

Remember 2 Live Crew - Me So Horny?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

58. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 4, 2014, 09:10 Ozmodan

Personally I think this has gotten way out of hand. It was nice to fund a decent game at first, but now it has become a never ending cash flow and cash sink.

I do hope all these investors won't be disappointed when they see the finished product, because you can bet it will never meet the expectations of most of them. Ok, if you have money to burn, but if you are investing your games budget, you are making a mistake if you ask me.

57. Re: Into the Black Aug 4, 2014, 04:26 Sleep

Slashman wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 22:54:
Ludomancer wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 22:20:
I haven't bought either of these mentioned products, I'm just a voice of reason that you won't listen to because you're too desperate for a nostalgic distraction from the shit day-jobs you were tricked into for the duration of your time on this planet.

Weigh your decisions with the evidence of history and the wisdom to project the outcome from past events.

I'm not big on Star Citizen myself, but if you'e not into the 'nostalgic distraction from shit day-jobs', then why would you even bother posting on a website dedicated to PC gaming? Shouldn't you have something better to do?

Haha too true. Ive bought into the KS for the game to the tune of lotsacash, and i wont be buying anything else until they actually model my scout. But if people want to, more power to them.

56. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 4, 2014, 03:05 Luke

90$....90$ Dunce  

55. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 4, 2014, 02:30 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 00:16:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 22:03:
Get your ships here!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge?search=package

To your point. While I agree this process is painful I prefer it to the publisher funded model.

I prefer crowd funding myself. What I don't like is how this whole thing is being handled. No one seems to be putting any breaks on it and it is reaching seriously absurd levels.

There is no way I would WANT to play a game where the developers are actively encouraging people to buy their way to the top of the food chain. That's if I was even interested in space sims as a multiplayer experience....which I am not.

There is no way you can tell me that doing things in this manner is the only alternative to publisher funding. Because then Divinity: Original Sin would never have been made.

54. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 4, 2014, 00:16 jdreyer

[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 22:03:
Get your ships here!

To your point. While I agree this process is painful I prefer it to the publisher funded model.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

53. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 4, 2014, 00:09 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 20:52:
I once asked for a 'happy ending' after a massage and the masseuse leaned over, with a smile on her face, and whispered in my ear, "And they all lived happily ever after"

I once asked for one and she gave my nuts a titty twister and sailed out of the room laughing while saying 'You didn't specify happy ending for whom.'
If you had to ask you went to the wrong place from the start.

52. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 4, 2014, 00:06 jdreyer

Dude you wuz robbed.

51. Re: Into the Black Aug 3, 2014, 23:59 jdreyer

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 19:24:

Seriously, people who can hate a game this much need to get a new hobby.
This is a new paradigm of game funding. No game has every been crowd funded at this level before. It causes a lot of sturm und drang.

50. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 3, 2014, 23:41 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 15:28:
90 bucks. Giggle

Fools and their money.
Hey devs gotta eat man. Also let the rich people fund the game for the rest of us.

49. Re: Into the Black Aug 3, 2014, 22:54 Slashman

Ludomancer wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 22:20:
I haven't bought either of these mentioned products, I'm just a voice of reason that you won't listen to because you're too desperate for a nostalgic distraction from the shit day-jobs you were tricked into for the duration of your time on this planet.

Weigh your decisions with the evidence of history and the wisdom to project the outcome from past events.

I'm not big on Star Citizen myself, but if you'e not into the 'nostalgic distraction from shit day-jobs', then why would you even bother posting on a website dedicated to PC gaming? Shouldn't you have something better to do?

48. Re: Into the Black Aug 3, 2014, 22:20 Ludomancer

[quote=
This may surprise you but it doesn't make sense to use fictitious future events as evidence for a current opinion. You call his opinion proof of an absence of taste, yours is proof of an absence of logic.
These "fictitious future events" don't come out of nowhere. Generally opinions against giving your money to those promising great things with very little to show come from personal history and experience, and we have a lot of history and experience to show that you have to be a fucking idiot to throw 150% the current cost, of an already-inflated game price, at a product that's not complete.

If you watch the industry at all you'd know how much money gets sunk into producing non-development aspects such as marketing, which if memory serves has been 80-90% of what these people have produced (forums, community management, a regular video 'interview' series, and lots of cinematics).

None of you will listen though. The game may even be a success, but that doesn't mean you have the foresight to predict good things and throw your money at them. If anything in this case it could very well mean hack-developers can cobble together something passable from a community of optimistic suckers, and succeed by letting said suckers feel good about it by patting themselves on the back and shitting on competitors.

47. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 3, 2014, 22:05 Optional Nickname!

The current flying in Star Citizen is very peculiar.

It is as if all the flight modes you have used before, including the established Wing Commander ones have been purposely left out.

Because, reasons.

Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, The Real Star Citizen

46. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 3, 2014, 22:03 [VG]Reagle

Get your ships here!

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo