Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC No Man's Sky Confirmed?

A post on NeoGAF claims there is a confirmation in the latest print issue of Edge magazine that No Man's Sky is a timed exclusive for the PS4 and saying the procedurally generated sci-fi game is also coming to Windows. This is not confirmed, as the scan the original poster claims to possess is not allowed on the forum. There are many who believe a Windows edition of this is inevitable, and it is one of the target platforms listed in Wikipedia, even though the citation for this is blank. Thanks DSOGaming.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 2, 2014, 11:05 harlock

jdreyer wrote on Aug 2, 2014, 01:48:
Well, we have yet to see gameplay, but I thought someone who named his avatar after a fictional space captain would be interested in something like this.

thats some pretty silly reasoning you have there, its like a toddlers level of associative thinking

but in case you need further edification, let me just assure you that i am not automatically interested in each and every game with a space setting simply because it has a space setting

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 2, 2014, 10:24 Redmask

I'm still interested, I have no idea how they will marry so many unlike gaming concepts but it should be neat to check it out.  

29. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 2, 2014, 01:48 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Aug 2, 2014, 00:40:
not sure why its so hyped either.. its all buzzwords and stylized graphics - sure the art direction looks interesting, but all the other talk is just hot air as far as im concerned

and yet the journos just lap it up like warm dogshit

Well, we have yet to see gameplay, but I thought someone who named his avatar after a fictional space captain would be interested in something like this.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

28. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 2, 2014, 00:40 harlock

not sure why its so hyped either.. its all buzzwords and stylized graphics - sure the art direction looks interesting, but all the other talk is just hot air as far as im concerned

and yet the journos just lap it up like warm dogshit

27. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 22:59 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 22:48:
Numinar wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 20:40:
NVIDIA and AMD might help a bit, but they don't have the warchest Sony has.

My "warchest" you're talking about Sony's $1.26 billion Q1 2014 loss? NVidia during the same period cleared $136 million.

You have to factor in the value of physical assets. Nvidia is fabless - all they have is IP and a couple of office buildings. Sony has manufacturing facilities all over the world - there's a lot more to corporate value than just quarterly profits. (Additionally, it's not Sony's gaming business that's losing money - it's mostly their television and computer businesses that are tanking, and they're basically getting out of the PC business as a result of the bloodbath they've gotten in that market.)

26. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 22:48 jdreyer

Numinar wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 20:40:
NVIDIA and AMD might help a bit, but they don't have the warchest Sony has.

By "warchest" you're talking about Sony's $1.26 billion Q1 2014 loss? NVidia during the same period cleared $136 million.

Edit: fixed typo.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2014, 23:27.

25. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 20:40 Numinar

McTurbo wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 12:18:
Its always bugged me when they do this....

its being programmed on a PC, tested on a PC, all the Art, Music, Programing, Networking, every single thing to do with the game is being done on the PC. THEN it is being optimized for the Console so that it runs there... Its made on the PC FIRST...so its not like its a struggle to get running for the pc

Because there is nobody in PC land willing to co-market the title. Hello Games would be stupid not to take advantage of that, if the game is good PCMR will eat it up a year or two after release anyway. NVIDIA and AMD might help a bit, but they don't have the warchest Sony has. Plus their products cost as much as a console.

My 4 year old GTX580 machine will cost MUCH more than a console to bring up to 2014 spec. It might already be more powerful than a Bone/PS4 but that doesn't mean anyone will spend a month or two of their development optimizing for my particular setup.

I hear Elite:D is old clunker friendly though, need to get the parents to send that last-century sidewinder over.

24. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 18:54 Seventyfive

I don't know what all the hype is about. This game looks like it would get boring in 15 minutes. And I don't know if I'm spoiled by having a PC but the textures look shitty, explosions look shitty....

I'd rather just skip all the "planet generation dinosaurs" and wait for Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen to get my sci fi fix.

23. Re: 4K TVs Aug 1, 2014, 18:49 Overon

Exercise critical thinking when discussing No Man's Sky. A new developer writing a game for PS3. Those are all red flags as far as PC is concerned. Also what they have shown is not impressive at all. Procedurally generated? Great. Where is the gameplay? I for one don't care if you make a game with the breadth of an ocean but one as deep as a puddle. You'd better have lots of interesting things to do in this ocean.  

22. 4K TVs Aug 1, 2014, 17:49 ColBlister

Because of the angular displacement of pixels at distances greater than about 2 meters, video content on a 4K screen looks little different to the average viewer from average TV viewing distances. The eye has to be much closer to the screen for it to make any real difference. If you thought the uptake of 3D TV was tepid, wait until you see the big yawn consumers give 4K.

The real market for 4K is computer monitors, where the viewer is close enough to distinguish each of those 8.2 million pixels. I use a 50-inch 4K TV as my computer monitor, and aside from the fact that games are limited to 30 FPS and many apps aren't written to cope with this brave new hdpi world, it is wonderful.

21. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 17:20 verybad1

SO far the game has some interesting (but limited) movies and an interesting game idea.

Probably for the best if it's PS4 first so if it's crap it will be console station crap.

I'd like for it to succeed, but something about it makes me think. Don't buy on opening day. It just has that "not gonna fulfill all the expectations" theme to me.

20. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 17:19 killer_roach

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 10:10:
I believe Hello Games said a while ago that No Man's Sky is only console exclusive on PS4. Unless Sony's funding their development (and they aren't), there's no way they'd go exclusive with them.

Sony funded their first game (Joe Danger) and it showed up on PC... I think they're partially funding No Man's Sky as well, but not sure on that one.

19. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 16:46 descender

Popular... with the niche hardcore gaming audience? Sure. Just like 120/144hz LCD's... but do you think even half of all LCD's sold today are higher than 60hz? A quarter? PC games simply aren't going to drive 4K TV's out to millions of homes. Broadcast TV content does that, and it always completely controls the adoption of new TV standards. 4K will be no different. Massive upgrades (both consumer and infrastructure) will be necessary to accommodate 4K content, and it's certainly not happening next year.  

18. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 16:07 Ozmodan

descender wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 14:24:
Until someone is delivering 100+ channels in 4K, I don't expect the adoption rate to be high enough to influence anything related to gaming. There will be another round of consoles before 4K becomes close to 'standard'. PC gaming has always outshone consoles, in every facet and any time period. 4k TV's aren't going to suddenly make people wise to that fact.

Yeah, I have heard that many times before. You should have seen the jaws drop on some console bigots the other day when my friend was running skyrim(which is not new by any means) on his 4k it really made the PS4 look bad running the same game.

4k TV's are going to be very popular in 2015, you watch. As to consoles, you will not see another iteration for at least 6 or 7 years if then. Even the pads will be much better than the consoles by then!

17. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 15:32 jdreyer

Tumbler wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 11:53:
I'll bet there is tremendous pressure behind the scenes to sideline pc versions of popular upcoming games because it's a no brainer to make these games available on the pc.

It seems all the fidelity people were excited about in game demos are turning out only to be on pc so if games like destiny and Watchdogs come out looking amazing only on the pc it's going to push more people to pick up pcs. Gamers dropped $400 plus on these likely to lay certain games in particular so it's not crazy to think they might spend $500 on a pc to get the best experience. And the prices on steam sales have got to scare them shitless.

I agree there is pressure, but Sony can't be THAT scared shitless of Steam. After all, they just launched a game rental site that rents game by the day for more than you can buy them outright on Steam. That doesn't strike me as worried.

16. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 14:24 descender

Until someone is delivering 100+ channels in 4K, I don't expect the adoption rate to be high enough to influence anything related to gaming. There will be another round of consoles before 4K becomes close to 'standard'. PC gaming has always outshone consoles, in every facet and any time period. 4k TV's aren't going to suddenly make people wise to that fact.

15. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 13:55 mellis

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 13:01:
I'm hoping for the best but this game is giving me serious Spore vibes.

Yep. "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!"

14. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 13:54 Ozmodan

The 4K TV's will doom the current consoles. It is inevitable. A friend has a really nice 4k tv that has a really nice gaming pc attached to it. There is no comparison between what games on the consoles look like and the PC. The PC makes them look bad.  

13. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 13:32 mag

It probably wouldn't make Sony happy if they came out and said, "Okay, it's not really an exclusive..."  

12. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 13:14 TheEmissary

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 13:01:
I'm hoping for the best but this game is giving me serious Spore vibes.

It does feel like a more fleshed out space phase. Based on the rumors and what the developers have said it appears to even have the same objective of trying to reach the center of the galaxy. Both games have procedurally generated planets and lifeforms that were either fetched from a database or created randomly. In spore the space phase was just the last phase of the game not the entire focus.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo