Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I saw a question in the forums about the next Payday 2 experience for me and the Monday night co-op crew. As it turns out there was not one, as after a discussion we decided this was not the game we'd expected and gave up for now. We were hoping to pull off slick stealthy Oceans 11-style heists, but as I've already described, every job was just a Heat-style bloodbath where we had to wipe out entire police forces to escape, and since our style of play is to just to play together and not level up when we are apart, it was going to take forever to get to the point were we could play the game as we wanted. I consider this a fault of the game that it does not have better beginner missions, but I also have to admit the possibility that if Payday 2 did play the way I envisioned it, it may just have been super-boring, but we'll never know. We decided to make sure we were set with a couple of other options for next week, and in the meantime actually tried a four-player Terraria game, which was fun, though a little odd, because I was the only one with more than a token understanding of the game. I think it would be fun to try that again, but on Monday I think we'll end up playing something with a little more action.

Heisted Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Bomb of Love.
Magic Runes.
Inkthings.
Link: Guy jumps off a building, slides down a roof and lands on stairs for fun. Thanks Creston.
Stories: Your ‘Craft’ Whiskey Is Probably From a Factory Distillery in Indiana.
L.A. TV Anchors Punk'd by Fake DWP Spokesman Louis Slungpue.
Science: Dept. of Energy hunting fault tolerance for extreme scale systems.
Media: Mike Tyson Mysteries - San Diego Comic Con 2014 Sneak Peek. Thanks nin.
New Trailer Debuts for Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar'.
Sin City: A Dame To Kill For - Redband Trailer.
When They Needed to Say Goodbye to Their Companion Cube, Incineration Was The Only Choice.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2014, 02:12 Ant

Blue, who do you play with?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2014, 13:14 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 13:50:
(I don't like PewDiePie much, IMHO he crosses over the line between silly and stupid, but he's certainly successful.)

I blame the Jersey Shore generation that thinks the crap on MTV is "Real Life" (see what I did there).

I don't know 1 person that actually knows who the F or what the F pewdiepie is. (or maybe who watches it - cause I would have to have a come to Jesus with them) I watched a few moments of a few videos. I couldn't stand it. (recently found out what and who it was)

And that guy makes money!? WTF!?

I like him. :p

In moderation, it's not as if I'll sit there and watch 30 minutes of him at once, but if I come across one of his videos, I'll giggle for a few minutes.

Not everything he does is great, of course, but seeing him play stuff like Amnesia is pretty damn funny.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 21:43 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 19:19:
Ever watch Thief with James Caan? Great flick.

So, is Heist, which has some of the most quotable dialog ever. Especially Danny DeVito: "Everybody needs money. That's why they call it money."

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 19:57 nin

peteham wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 18:25:
Had the exact same experience with Payday, playing with three friends. After our first couple of games after being detected immediately we were all like "clearly there's something we're not getting". But no. The main thing we weren't getting is that you basically have to unlock a bunch of stuff to do the missions "properly". The mission briefings like to rub "stealth is an option" in your face, but that doesn't seem to be actually possible until you unlock ECM jammers, silencers and a whole other bunch of stuff, maybe.. All I know is, we always ended up with a boring shoot-out within seconds.

And with the XP pace being this glacial (what were they thinking? It's a co-op game! How many times are most people going to bother doing the same heists??), we got to about level 10 with a single class before being sick of the game. Of 40-50 or so, based on what I can remember for the skill tree.

That sounds like a terrible design.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 19:19 Cutter

Ever watch Thief with James Caan? Great flick.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 19:18 jdreyer

peteham wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 18:25:
Had the exact same experience with Payday, playing with three friends. After our first couple of games after being detected immediately we were all like "clearly there's something we're not getting". But no. The main thing we weren't getting is that you basically have to unlock a bunch of stuff to do the missions "properly". The mission briefings like to rub "stealth is an option" in your face, but that doesn't seem to be actually possible until you unlock ECM jammers, silencers and a whole other bunch of stuff, maybe.. All I know is, we always ended up with a boring shoot-out within seconds.

And with the XP pace being this glacial (what were they thinking? It's a co-op game! How many times are most people going to bother doing the same heists??), we got to about level 10 with a single class before being sick of the game. Of 40-50 or so, based on what I can remember for the skill tree.

We got a hell of a lot more mileage out of L4D. At least it was cheap (steam sales 4 pack).

Isn't their an unlock everyone can use so they can get access to all the stuff and play the game the way they want to?

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 18:25 peteham

We got a hell of a lot more mileage out of L4D. At least it was cheap (steam sales 4 pack).

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 17:13 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 16:11:
(I don't like PewDiePie much, IMHO he crosses over the line between silly and stupid, but he's certainly successful.)

I blame the Jersey Shore generation that thinks the crap on MTV is "Real Life" (see what I did there).

I don't know 1 person that actually knows who the F or what the F pewdiepie is. (or maybe who watches it - cause I would have to have a come to Jesus with them) I watched a few moments of a few videos. I couldn't stand it. (recently found out what and who it was)

I guess The Youngs eat that shit up?

No accounting for taste... I heard of it and watched a few minutes, but I would never watch it with regularity or ever again at that. It's like batman says, crossing the line to full metal retard level. But hey, that sums up MTV pretty damn well so maybe there is a market for it...

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 16:37 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 16:07:
I love watching the Shack Tactical vids. I'd love to have the time to dedicate to joining a team and executing battles like that, but I just don't. It's so awesome to watch people who know what they're doing execute maneuvers like that.

Is that the ArmA guys? Their videos are exactly the sort of gaming that I wish I could do too. It must be so satisfying to pull off this sort of slick military manoeuvre. One video of theirs, a co-op raid on a village and neighbouring outpost in *heavily* modded ArmA 2, included the guy getting separated and him having to keep so quiet he couldn't speak so he keyed his radio (if I'm using the phrase correctly, he transmitted the button-press-crackle-sound) and commenting on narration that he didn't know if his team mates were dead or they just couldn't answer (or even key in reply) in case the AI overheard them. On VoIP. Dat shit's hardcore.

- Quboid

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 16:22 jdreyer

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For - Redband Trailer.

Not as red as I would have expected. Looking fwd to this.

Reminds me though, bought the original Sin City BRD at Christmas, and still haven't gotten around to watching it yet (seen the original in theaters and DVD).

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 16:17 Narf2029

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 12:23:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Pixel Piracy is released!

Chatted with Alex Poysky over Steam this AM - I can't say it enough, this is really a group of people that deserve support for the product they have released. I hope you all give it a chance.

50% off right now!

I just paid $11 something for it last night. Still worth it but man I hate that shit.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 16:14 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 16:07:
I love watching the Shack Tactical vids. I'd love to have the time to dedicate to joining a team and executing battles like that, but I just don't. It's so awesome to watch people who know what they're doing execute maneuvers like that.

I'm not familiar with those, but it sounds like the one thing I actually miss about (25 man WOW) raiding, which is seeing a large team of folks work together towards a goal. It's not always perfect, but when it comes together, it's fucking amazing to watch...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 16:11 jdreyer

I guess The Youngs eat that shit up?

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 16:07 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 09:35:
DrSquick wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 09:23:
I would definitely watch a four-player Let's Play!

Honestly, let's plays are my TV these days...I get home from work, do house stuff, get an hour or two of game time in, and then watch Let's Plays for dinner/relax before bed. Sometimes it's games I'm interested in, sometimes it's stuff I would never play, just to see what the fuss is about.

I have a coworker who doesn't understand this, and says that if I'm watching a game, why not just go play it. But to me, it's like TV - something to relax to, and watch other people goof around in (and sometimes produce hilarious results) (Rooster Teeth's/Let's Play of GTA are a fucking riot, where they plan/attempt to execute their own heists, in game).

edit: I'm sure part of it also comes down to the personality of the players, and if they're entertaining. But I'd definitely check out if Blue ever did anything like that...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 14:05 Quboid

That guy makes all the money.

I can enjoy silliness but also a few moments of him and it was pretty clear that this wasn't the "switch off brain" stuff I wanted. I don't think I could have switched my brain back on if I'd watched much more. NerdCubed does it right IMHO, I'm sure plenty of people would view his work in the same light but he comes across as somebody just mucking about and having a laugh. PewDiePie comes across as someone badly pretending to be a toddler.

- Quboid

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 13:50 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 13:39 Quboid

nin wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 09:35:
DrSquick wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 09:23:
I would definitely watch a four-player Let's Play!

Honestly, let's plays are my TV these days...I get home from work, do house stuff, get an hour or two of game time in, and then watch Let's Plays for dinner/relax before bed. Sometimes it's games I'm interested in, sometimes it's stuff I would never play, just to see what the fuss is about.

I have a coworker who doesn't understand this, and says that if I'm watching a game, why not just go play it. But to me, it's like TV - something to relax to, and watch other people goof around in (and sometimes produce hilarious results) (Rooster Teeth's/Let's Play of GTA are a fucking riot, where they plan/attempt to execute their own heists, in game).

edit: I'm sure part of it also comes down to the personality of the players, and if they're entertaining. But I'd definitely check out if Blue ever did anything like that...

I'm finding this too, to the point where I even watch YouTube stuff on my secondary monitor while gaming sometimes.

For me, these videos are a lot more about the personality than the game and I have no reason to believe that Blue is particularly suited to this. I'd certainly watch a stream on Twitch and chat but I wouldn't assume he can be the next PewDiePie just because he writes a good OotB. (I don't like PewDiePie much, IMHO he crosses over the line between silly and stupid, but he's certainly successful.)

If my kitten is running around letting off steam then highly involved gaming isn't practical as I need to keep an eye and an ear on him unless I want my carpet pee'd on. Civilization V is perfect for this as I can drop (** he literally just started digging at the carpet as I typed drop ... but he changed his mind and ran to his litter tray. Good boy! **) everything and deal with him. I can hear the video and won't miss anything in-game even if I don't have time to hit Escape.

He really tried to illustrate my point there, perfect timing! He doesn't understand that you can't see us, bless him. At least I hope you can't.

- Quboid

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 13:21 xXBatmanXx

Your ‘Craft’ Whiskey Is Probably From a Factory Distillery in Indiana.

Have a new place not far from my house http://www.norsemandistillery.com/ They had been doing only Vodka, waiting for them to do a batch of WHISKEY.

Know the difference (the article talks about whisKEY - the one I prefer).

/done spamming - nite all....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 12:23 xXBatmanXx

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Pixel Piracy is released!

Chatted with Alex Poysky over Steam this AM - I can't say it enough, this is really a group of people that deserve support for the product they have released. I hope you all give it a chance.

50% off right now!

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2014, 13:15.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 12:18 xXBatmanXx

Tim1_2 wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 10:58:
You guys could always try out DayZ for your Monday night sessions. It's always fun to hold up others or full-on ambush people for their gear. Plus the time spent trekking across the countryside provides ample time for random discussions.

So they can run around and do nothing for 4 hours? He just said he didn't want to do that....

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo