Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite Dangerous Beta Begins

Elite Dangerous is now in beta testing as promised, with the premium beta having come to a close. This does not make the "regular" beta cheap, however, as buying access will cost $75.00 USD. Frontier Developments calls the beta a "significant milestone" in development of the space combat sequel, and offer a new beta trailer to show it off. Here's an outline of what's changed:

Beta 1 increases the number of playable star systems in the game by a factor of 10 compared to Premium Beta, and covers a greatly expanded 38,000 cubic light-year volume of Elite: Dangerous’ accurately modelled Milky Way galaxy centred around the Boötes constellation familiar to Premium Beta players.

The greater volume of Beta 1 space has an increased variety of celestial bodies, trading economies and star ports, and plays host to a large number of additional features and enhancements which together provide a richer gameplay experience over the whole expanded volume of space.

Significant Beta 1 additional features include:

• 55 star systems covering 38,000 cubic light-years
  • Initial online mission system functionality (to be further developed through Beta)
  • Player-to-player communication by text and voice
  • Friends management and matchmaking
  • Private Group play option
  • On-line single player option
  • Overview trade route mapping
  • The concept of fuel consumption
  • Docking computers to automate safe star port landings
  • Additional Viper heavy fighter and Lakon Type 6 medium trader ships

Beta 1 will be available in English only. Future builds will be localised in the following languages:

German, French, Russian, Polish, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Mexican Spanish, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian and Simplified Chinese.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

59. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Aug 1, 2014, 11:14 Ant

Need a Linux port.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 31, 2014, 23:37 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 06:18:
Wondering what it matters if it is all nothingness.......what is the point? If the game is so damn large, again, just empty space.

Honestly, I doubt the game actually contains a model of the entire galaxy, or even just of 38000 lightyears. Even if it contained nothing but vacuum, just the size of the list of coordinates alone would have to cause every system currently available to run out of memory?

There's undoubtedly some trickery going on somewhere.

Which is why I said the game is (currently) 55 systems large.

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 20:30:
Creston

I am a backer of both SC and Elite and to be honest with you I like the way Elite looks a lot more. It runs better on my system too.
Maybe I am just biased but the color scheme the way the ships leave those smoke trails, the visual effects of the heat wents and shield etc just gives me goose bumps.
Not to mention the sound effects and engine sounds, just kicks so much ass.

That's fair. I haven't played either, so it's hard to compare, but just from screenshots alone, I don't think E:D surpasses X-Rebirth. The graphics were the one thing Egosoft DID get right.

57. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 31, 2014, 15:25 jdreyer

gray wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 08:10:

I tried it last night, it is without a doubt the killer app of VR. No other gaming experience comes close, I don't even ... I don't have the words.

Stop. Just...stop. You're giving me wood.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

56. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 31, 2014, 08:10 gray

Bob wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 03:01:
Tumbler wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 16:27:
Anyone know if this works with Oculous or Oculous dk2? Once my DK2 gets here I think I'm going to have to buy this. Need stuff to try with it!

Well on the Oculus reddit forum quite a few people are claiming that ED in the Rift DK2 is the best gaming experience they have ever had.

Edit, just one example :
I stepped in to E:D last night with the DK2 and nothing can compare to the experience. I ceased to be a gamer and became a spacer.

It was my Contact moment - "No - no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should've sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea."

My first dogfight scenario left me speechless, the gorgeous cockpit lives and breathes around you, your head snaps upwards to track the target while lasers pulse illuminating everything, shields light up as they absorb the impact - and you're there, right in the middle of it all and its simply incredible.

If you have a DK2 or will get one - This, you MUST know this feeling

I tried it last night, it is without a doubt the killer app of VR. No other gaming experience comes close, I don't even ... I don't have the words.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2014, 08:16.

55. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 31, 2014, 06:24 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 06:18:
Wondering what it matters if it is all nothingness.......what is the point? If the game is so damn large, again, just empty space.

Reminds me of Starbond - they want millions of planets, but to what purpose?

Because, Space, the final frontier.

Also, because can.

Also, too, because everyuthing in this game is procedural, so even number 400 billion star system will have things to do. I kind of like the idea of a multiplayer game where I can go off and hide.

54. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 31, 2014, 06:18 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 11:29:
Theo wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 11:23:
Actually kinda true kinda not... in that if you chose to stay in super cruiser (light speed without a jump), you could point at a star leave your computer for a few years and it would get there....(the tech in super-cruise allows for that, even if real life game time wouldn't).

Oh, it would? Then I stand corrected.

I figured it'd just be the standard "you'd keep moving indefinitely as the game just conjures up empty space around you, but you'll never actually get there" box that space games use.

Reminds me of Starbond - they want millions of planets, but to what purpose?

/Thanks for the insights Theo.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

53. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 31, 2014, 03:01 Bob

Anyone know if this works with Oculous or Oculous dk2? Once my DK2 gets here I think I'm going to have to buy this. Need stuff to try with it!

Well on the Oculus reddit forum quite a few people are claiming that ED in the Rift DK2 is the best gaming experience they have ever had.

Edit, just one example :
I stepped in to E:D last night with the DK2 and nothing can compare to the experience. I ceased to be a gamer and became a spacer.

It was my Contact moment - "No - no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should've sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea."

My first dogfight scenario left me speechless, the gorgeous cockpit lives and breathes around you, your head snaps upwards to track the target while lasers pulse illuminating everything, shields light up as they absorb the impact - and you're there, right in the middle of it all and its simply incredible.

If you have a DK2 or will get one - This, you MUST know this feeling

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2014, 04:02.

52. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 23:06 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 22:11:
Holy shit is this thing going to grow.

From 55 Star Systems in beta to 400 billion as it states at 1:22.

And I'll be counting each one on my abacus.

Let us know when you're finished.

Skull

51. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 22:51 SpectralMeat

Zanthar wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 20:51:
Creston

I am a backer of both SC and Elite and to be honest with you I like the way Elite looks a lot more. It runs better on my system too.
Maybe I am just biased but the color scheme the way the ships leave those smoke trails, the visual effects of the heat wents and shield etc just gives me goose bumps.

I think it might be a bit early to count SC out.
At this point SC is not even close to Elite.
By 2016 proposed release I am sure SC will be great but we will be playing the 6th expansion pack for Elite at that point.

Steam: SpectralMeat

50. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 22:11 HorrorScope

Holy shit is this thing going to grow.

From 55 Star Systems in beta to 400 billion as it states at 1:22.

And I'll be counting each one on my abacus.

49. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 21:53 CJ_Parker

Zanthar wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 20:51:
Creston

True but Star Citizen is going to have to improve massively to even come close to the level of fidelity in ED.
I very much agree with Spectral Meat that ED just "feels right". Maybe it's because it's all made by one team unlike SC which is made by a half dozen studios across several continents.

I guess it also helps that Braben has a very clear and distinct vision plus a very healthy sense of realism like what can be achieved within a certain budget and timeframe.

While Chris Roberts... aaahh... nevermind. Anyone who has followed SC and watched a few videos with CR will know that incoherent babbling, brainstormfarting and "we'll put everything in this game that sounds remotely cool regardless of feasibility, just keep throwing cash at us" is the Roberts modus operandi.

In the end I hope I'm wrong and we'll end up with two awesome space sims but Mr. Roberts & co are going to have to focus on actually finishing and polishing shit instead of moving from one half-assed, half-finished module to the next.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2014, 22:04.

48. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 20:51 Zanthar

Creston

47. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 20:30 SpectralMeat

Creston

46. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 20:10 Zanthar

It's flight model is not heavily based on Newtonian physics like Elite 2 and 3 were. That model may be more realistic but much less fun IMO.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2014, 20:49.

45. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 17:35 DangerDog

Iurand wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 17:16:
Phasenoise wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 13:44:
At least the early backer perk is a lifetime DLC pass and not an in-game towel.

And half of Life Time Insurance.

Zanthar wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 14:47:
It's not Newtonian, but it's not arcadish either.

What do you mean "not Newtonian"?

DangerDog wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:20:
Yes it's a "paid" beta/early access but this is going to be a niche game and I don't think they're making mad money just yet unlike Star Citizen - which we'll be luck to see it in the same shape as the Elite beta in 2015.

Unlike Frontier, CIG two years ago didn't have team of 240, who used to work with themselfs, or working engine. Actually, they still don't have either former or latter...

I really hope they get there with Star Citizen, I just don't have that much faith in CryEngine taking them to where they hope to go, they're really going to have to get at the guts of it and have some really smart people make massive changes to it.

44. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 17:20 Iurand

Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 17:00:
In any case, E:D looks beautiful, but to me it's not the most beautiful space sim ever made.

Here's one picture and here's fragment of that picture.

Cobra engine is gloriousssss.

43. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 17:16 Iurand

Phasenoise wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 13:44:
At least the early backer perk is a lifetime DLC pass and not an in-game towel.

And half of Life Time Insurance.

Zanthar wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 14:47:
It's not Newtonian, but it's not arcadish either.

What do you mean "not Newtonian"?

DangerDog wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:20:
Yes it's a "paid" beta/early access but this is going to be a niche game and I don't think they're making mad money just yet unlike Star Citizen - which we'll be luck to see it in the same shape as the Elite beta in 2015.

Unlike Frontier, CIG two years ago didn't have team of 240, who used to work with themselfs, or working engine. Actually, they still don't have either former or latter...

42. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 17:00 Creston

Harrowing wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:46:
Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:40:
Harrowing wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:33:
http://elite.frontier.co.uk/media/

Just look at those in-game screenshots and tell me that's not the most beautiful space sim you've ever seen.

It's not the most beautiful space sim I've ever seen.

Please show me screenshots of this prettier space sim then

Well, this rather readily comes to mind, doesn't it?

And though it was a huge pile of poop on release (it's a bit better now, but still not that great a game), X-Rebirth is a gorgeously beautiful game. Some of the scenery in it (especially when you first see that busted-apart planet, and then realize you actually get to fly THROUGH it) is breathtaking.

Shame it wound up being such a terrible game.

In any case, E:D looks beautiful, but to me it's not the most beautiful space sim ever made.

41. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 16:30 SpectralMeat

Check here

40. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 16:27 Tumbler

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo