Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 22:16 Jivaro

She fell.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 12:02 Verno

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 21:11:
Yeah, people get that, but talking about safety directly after an assault has happened is crass and demonstrates a lack of decency.

I don't think that's fair at all. Its arguably the most important time to talk about it while its still fresh in peoples minds. People are capable of multiple emotions, I can empathize here while still using it as an instructional example for my kid.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

40. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 08:16 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 03:23:
NKD wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 02:17:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 01:57:
The suspect's story sounds plausible, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It's odd that he describes her as a "close friend" yet claimed that he thought she was 20, supposedly not knowing she just turned 17. On the other hand, if you only saw her in costume and makeup all the time, it might be easy to make the assumption she was older. I assume the guy who was arrested was the Project Cosplay guy that took the Daphne and Velma pics on her Facebook page.

If, like he claims, they aren't sexually involved, then he probably wasn't worrying too much about fact-checking her age.

Yup, although it looks like he was taking some pics of her in a hotel bedroom? Also, there's a weak implication with this pic that she's his girlfriend (although this could be just a pic to make the joke, too). I'll probably forget about this by tomorrow, but it would be interesting to know the final outcome of this case. Whoever did this to that poor girl seriously fucked her up. She deserves justice and the perp (whoever he is) deserves a long jail sentence.

EDIT: Actually, he calls her his girlfriend in his July 2 post:
Check out this awesome video From #ClubCosplay. Relly informative about getting the nerd culture on the club scene! also check out my awesome Girl Friend and I at at 0:54!
Here's the video where the girl kisses him at the :54 mark. It's obviously "Milly" in her witch costume (another, different bedroom shot). So even if he didn't beat her up, these charges will probably end up sticking: He was booked into San Diego County Jail at 11:20 am on charges of sexual contact with a minor and contributing to the delinquency of minor. Although, I will say that it's stupid that the age of consent for Cali is 18. If this had taken place in most other states, there'd be no charges filed.

Good internet sleuthing. So potentially either she or her boyfriend copped to the relationship when the police were talking to them, but she indicated he wasn't involved in what happened to her. That would explain how he'd be charged with those other things but not assault. But we really don't know I guess.

Though if he wasn't involved in this attack, I agree it's bullshit that the police are giving him a hard time. 16 and 17 are considered old enough to be making your own relationship decisions in virtually all of the civilized world and many states here in the US.

It's not like the dude is running around preying on little kids. Girl is taller and older looking than he is.

Luckily for this dude, in California, these statutory charges don't get you on the big bad sex offender list if they are at least 16. The prosecutor can also choose to charge it as a misdemeanor if they are feeling nice, and since she is not under 16 even if he gets hit with the felony, the penalties are a lot less.

But yeah, I worry that if this guy is not the attacker then they may never catch who did this. They could be in another state or country by now for all we know.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

39. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 07:17 Julio

Sad what happened to her, whoever did it should definitely pay. She definitely has learned what not to do in the future, but a tough lesson.

As for if this guy is her boyfriend, he should aim for a little older rather than being a pedo.

38. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 03:23 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 02:17:
The suspect's story sounds plausible, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It's odd that he describes her as a "close friend" yet claimed that he thought she was 20, supposedly not knowing she just turned 17. On the other hand, if you only saw her in costume and makeup all the time, it might be easy to make the assumption she was older. I assume the guy who was arrested was the Project Cosplay guy that took the Daphne and Velma pics on her Facebook page.

If, like he claims, they aren't sexually involved, then he probably wasn't worrying too much about fact-checking her age.

Yup, although it looks like he was taking some pics of her in a hotel bedroom? Also, there's a weak implication with this pic that she's his girlfriend (although this could be just a pic to make the joke, too). I'll probably forget about this by tomorrow, but it would be interesting to know the final outcome of this case. Whoever did this to that poor girl seriously fucked her up. She deserves justice and the perp (whoever he is) deserves a long jail sentence.

EDIT: Actually, he calls her his girlfriend in his July 2 post:
Check out this awesome video From #ClubCosplay. Relly informative about getting the nerd culture on the club scene! also check out my awesome Girl Friend and I at at 0:54!
Here's the video where the girl kisses him at the :54 mark. It's obviously "Milly" in her witch costume (another, different bedroom shot). So even if he didn't beat her up, these charges will probably end up sticking: He was booked into San Diego County Jail at 11:20 am on charges of sexual contact with a minor and contributing to the delinquency of minor. Although, I will say that it's stupid that the age of consent for Cali is 18. If this had taken place in most other states, there'd be no charges filed.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2014, 04:01.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

37. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 02:17 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

36. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 01:57 jdreyer

35. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 01:47 NKD

According to that link he claims she was found beaten in the pool area of the hotel? That doesn't make much sense. You'd think they'd have security cameras there. Earlier reports from her mother said she was found on the side of a road somewhere.  

34. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 01:26 Jivaro

I just got finished reading another "updated" report.

The dude who told the police she "just ran off" is the same guy they took into custody. He is a friend of hers and a cosplay photographer. He admits to having had a small verbal dispute with her. He says she "ran off" because she was done arguing with him about when they were leaving. Originally he was her ride home. He says he wanted to leave and she wasn't ready to go, they "disputed", and she "ran off". He posted his side of the story on his FB page, from the police station, and said he regrets leaving and not being there when she needed him.

Now, he hasn't been charged so he could very well be telling the truth....BUT...if this was sexual assault by a "friend" that changes the discussion quite a bit. Increased police presence or security is not going to affect something like that. Partying in groups, outfits, etc etc don't affect this. According to rainn.org, 2/3 of sexual assaults are committed by people known to the victim. A a Con, at a club, at a party, in a dorm...wherever.

Link: http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/30/5952709/san-diego-comic-con-cosplay-assault

If this "Project Cosplay" guy is telling the truth than I worry that whomever did this is going to get away with it.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2014, 01:33.

33. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 23:49 NKD

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 21:11:
Yeah, people get that, but talking about safety directly after an assault has happened is crass and demonstrates a lack of decency.

Alright, what's the appropriate waiting period after a crime before we're allowed to discuss proper safety precautions at major events?

It's not like we're having this discussion on the girls Facebook page. Her recovery and well-being are not impacted by people elsewhere having a discussion about safety. I'm sure she's got all the sympathy and support she could hope for during this shit.

Also, come to think of it, when the fuck else are we supposed to have the conversation on this site? I'm not going to go back and dig up this post a month from now and expect people to read anything I've posted. On Blue's, we can only reasonably discuss a topic on the post that actually brings it up. The forum part of the site isn't exactly popular.

32. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 22:47 jdreyer

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 20:20:
People have been calling for anti-harassment policies and strict anti-creeper rules at cons like this for a while and maybe this will be the very unfortunate incident that gets that kind of trash behavior put down.

They called for such policies at this Comicon too.

I don't care if a woman is wearing a G-String with pasties cosplaying Striperella. That's not an invitation FOR ANYTHING.

You mean like this cosplay of Witchblade?

I've been to SDCC several times both as pro and visitor and it has been a pleasant (though exhausting) trip each time. This report soils it and I hope they look at what went wrong and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Well, I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. 1000s and 1000s of people went and came home without incident.

31. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 22:07 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 18:48:
people still blame the victim in sexual assaults? is that still a thing? guess we haven't moved forward as far as i'd hoped. stephen a smith was just suspended by espn for a week for the same thing.

Unfortunately, victim-blaming is so prominent these days (mostly on the right, but even liberals do it) that there's a term for it: "slut-shaming."

30. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 21:33 Quboid

We're not in her hospital room lecturing her. People only talk about these things directly after they happen, if safety isn't discussed now it never will be (not that we're changing the world...).  

- Quboid

29. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 21:11 Silicon Avatar

28. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 20:34 Quboid

NKD wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:59:
It's not about blaming her or whatever, it's about using the situation to teach others. It seems to me this is exactly the kind of situation that reinforces the need to educate people on the buddy system and safety in numbers when attending events.

This could happen to anyone, not just teens, not just girls. EVERYONE needs to take basic safety precautions at these types of events.

It matters. If a little education can prevent more people from being victimized, it absolutely matters.

Well said, NKD.

There's an attitude in regards to sexual assault that because it should never happen, suggesting safety precautions is to blame the victim. The world is a shitty place and we all take some precautions, it's downright dangerous to treat sexual assault differently.

- Quboid

27. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 20:20 Silicon Avatar

People have been calling for anti-harassment policies and strict anti-creeper rules at cons like this for a while and maybe this will be the very unfortunate incident that gets that kind of trash behavior put down.

I don't care if a woman is wearing a G-String with pasties cosplaying Striperella. That's not an invitation FOR ANYTHING.

I've been to SDCC several times both as pro and visitor and it has been a pleasant (though exhausting) trip each time. This report soils it and I hope they look at what went wrong and make sure it doesn't happen again.

26. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 20:00 Redmask

people still blame the victim in sexual assaults? is that still a thing? guess we haven't moved forward as far as i'd hoped. stephen a smith was just suspended by espn for a week for the same thing.

That is what everyone is doing here, we're all blaming her for getting beaten up, you caught us well done.

25. No subject Jul 30, 2014, 19:35 Mashiki Amiketo

Crime triangle, it still works. Remove one element, and the crime will not happen. Shocking!

Let me know when you develop a method for preventing crimes that involves a single party.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

24. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 18:48 1badmf

23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 17:54 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 17:51:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 17:49:
Jivaro wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 17:13:
I don't know about the electric chair but I do think our legal system is entirely too lite on animals like the person who did this to her.

Yes, but share a few things on the internets and you'll be threatened with $10s of millions in fines and 35 years in jail.

IKR? Priorities...

It's a result of corporate interests writing the laws and controlling the government. Anti filesharing laws have billion dollar industries writing the text and funding their passage. Rape and assault victims don't. Get corporate money out of politics and equilibrium will return.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo