Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Firefall Launches

The Firefall website announces that Firefall is out of beta, marking the official launch of this free-to-play MMO shooter, offering a launch trailer to celebrate the news with a look at the game. Here's the news of the release:

We are excited to announce that the beta tag is gone and Firefall is now officially launched and available to play for free! This day has been a long time coming and we couldn’t be happier to finally be sharing Firefall with the world. However, just because we’re no longer in beta doesn’t mean that we no longer need your feedback. This is only the beginning of the journey, and only together can we make Firefall the game we all know it can be!

If you don’t already have the game installed, you can find a link to download it here.

New players should make sure to check out our updated New User Guide for information about some of the game’s basic systems.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 31, 2014, 10:35 eRe4s3r

shihonage wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 00:33:
I can't play this game because it requires I prioritize UDP traffic on port range 32000-65535.

Given how by default my traffic is Bulk, and is selectively elevated for each game, I cannot just give high priority to 33535 freaking ports.

Terrible and pointless coding decision on their part.

This bothers me in a lot of games... but what do you mean with "bulk" ? All my traffic is priority, some things are just higher priority (Websites/Stream) and some are highest priority (VOIP/IPTV)

What exactly are you doing with your traffic? Or is it your ISP?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 09:26 Quboid

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 00:01:
Indirectly paying real money for it does nothing to give you an advantage over not doing so, but saving you the time and trouble. That is not pay to win... To have any argument for P2W, it would have to be true that you could ONLY get high-quality gear by paying real money, etc.

I said earlier "IMHO even if the same gear can be bought with in-game currency, the integrity is shot" so it seems that this isn't the game for me. There are imbalances inherent in gaming, PC gaming in particular, but I draw the line at explicit advantages added by the game's developers.

Even if there wasn't a competitive advantage, paying real money to save time and effort is the same business model as Facebook games and has the same major problem: the developer has motivation to make their game worse in order to extort money out of gamers, and there are no developers who I can trust to avoid this. The most trustworthy devs are the Forza ones and that's because they actually admitted going out of their way to make their game worse in order to frustrate gamers into paying more money.

- Quboid

20. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 08:49 Omni

haha.

This game is fucking shit. Why would you even play this game when there is games like TF2 or Warframe.

19. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 08:24 Darks

OpticNerve wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 06:15:
I haven't played this in a while, but did the developers ever go back on their whole "permanent item damage/repair pool" thing with gear?

I remember that being a big bone of contention with various players and the developers being very stubborn about that "feature." A bunch of friends and I uninstalled the game since that felt like an artificial gimmick which forced players to endlessly grind and craft (ie. Thump) to stimulate the bare-bones AH economy since our gear was constantly damaged and would eventually be completely broken. Plus the whole developer attitude of, "deal with it, we're a small studio and can't constantly put out new content to stimulate the economy" was off-putting.

I played this for the first time last night to check it out. Over all I didn't think it was a bad game. I liked it way more then Wildstar. and yes, your gear does need repairing. I was disappointed to see that.

So, what was going on with this that pissed everyone off?

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

18. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 06:15 OpticNerve

I haven't played this in a while, but did the developers ever go back on their whole "permanent item damage/repair pool" thing with gear?

I remember that being a big bone of contention with various players and the developers being very stubborn about that "feature." A bunch of friends and I uninstalled the game since that felt like an artificial gimmick which forced players to endlessly grind and craft (ie. Thump) to stimulate the bare-bones AH economy since our gear was constantly damaged and would eventually be completely broken. Plus the whole developer attitude of, "deal with it, we're a small studio and can't constantly put out new content to stimulate the economy" was off-putting.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

17. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 04:22 jdreyer

So, which side of Free to Play does this really fall on? More on the Path of Exile side? Or on the new free to play Dungeon Keeper side?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

16. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 04:18 jdreyer

Jeez, FINALLY this game is ready. I mean, it's 2009 already and I've been hearing about this game FOR TWO WHOLE YEARS. I bought this 8800GTX just for THIS game and have been biding my time playing Crysis, UT 3, and CoD: Modern Warfare. But finally this is out! I hope it's good...

Oh, wait...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 02:53 LittleMe

I've been playing it some the past few days and I don't care for it so far. It just doesn't draw me in. It seems superficial. I don't care about thumpers or resources. The game just fails to try to connect to me. Instead it just plops me in the world with a steep learning curve (good) but no compelling reason to care to play. I can shoot stuff in lots of games, why play this one?

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

14. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 00:44 Endo

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 00:01:
To have any argument for P2W, it would have to be true that you could ONLY get high-quality gear by paying real money, etc.
I disagree. A lot of games have started using a new trick. You can get premium stuff with in-game currency... it just takes so much of it that the average player cannot possibly do it. You either have to spend about 100+ hours a week grinding, or buy it with real money. Or, in the case of premium consumables, a free player has to make do with less of them than paying players. This is no big deal in PvE, but I very much consider it pay-to-win in PvP.

13. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 00:40 jacobvandy

Frijoles wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 00:01:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 22:40:
Why do you play shooters?

For hats!

There actually are quite a few hats in this game, so...

12. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 00:33 shihonage

I can't play this game because it requires I prioritize UDP traffic on port range 32000-65535.

Given how by default my traffic is Bulk, and is selectively elevated for each game, I cannot just give high priority to 33535 freaking ports.

Terrible and pointless coding decision on their part.

11. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 00:23 SlimRam

Oh Fuck It, I think i'm going in. I'll be the guy named 'SlimRam' getting spanked every 10 seconds  

I'm bringing Sexy Back

Luckily, I kept the receipt

10. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 00:01 jacobvandy

Quboid wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 23:06:
I'd LOVE to hear any arguments about how being able to buy gear other people have found and put up for sale with real money (via Red beans -> Credits -> gear) makes it "pay to win." That gives you no advantage over people who are actually earning that loot, and you still have to put in the dozens of hours of playtime to progress your frame from 1-40 to be able to use that uber gear... Which honestly does not even give you that huge of an advantage over the crappiest quality junk you can cheaply craft in terms of sheer power, and then still relies on your skill to actually be able to use the thing.

There's your argument. "Not a huge advantage" implies some advantage.

Um, no... I was referring to the high-quality "uber gear," the blues and the purples, compared to white standard-quality stuff. That goes regardless of your method of obtaining them. Indirectly paying real money for it does nothing to give you an advantage over not doing so, but saving you the time and trouble. That is not pay to win... To have any argument for P2W, it would have to be true that you could ONLY get high-quality gear by paying real money, etc.

Asmodai wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 23:40:
JV is slightly wrong though, you can convert red beans to credits per the method I described (RB for crystite, crystite for credits).

You misunderstand me. Maybe I could have stated a little more clearly that red beans are DIRECTLY converted to credits. You'd be wasting a lot of value by trying to turn red beans into crystite, lol, as the only way I can think of is by buying slot machine tokens and getting like a few hundred Cy (literally the reward for killing a handful of enemies) as the base, guaranteed prize. The main reason I can surmise for them creating this buffer currency (credits, the only thing used in the marketplace), is to maintain that "you gotta earn it" value for crystite, which is required for all crafting. They don't let you purchase crystite in any worthwhile manner.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2014, 00:15.

9. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 00:01 Frijoles

Why do you play shooters?

For hats!

8. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 29, 2014, 23:40 Asmodai

It's not a huge advantage, the gear at a certain level is fairly flat between normal and epic (typically higher tier gear has more more slots but there is no flat +dmg mod, just ROF, which effects DPS).

JV is slightly wrong though, you can convert red beans to credits per the method I described (RB for crystite, crystite for credits).

I wouldn't worry about "pay 2 win" too much here, the advantage of gear is minimal. I can do lvl 40 content on a 28 recluse no sweat, so while you do grow in power, it's not the same as WoW where a 70 would have zero chance against a 90.

The game does have some storyline missions/instances, some are quite fun. Honestly, it's free to play and have a look at, if you think Tribes + mmo + lots of things to shoot sounds like fun, the only thing you have to do is download the client and install. ; )

7. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 29, 2014, 23:06 Quboid

I'd LOVE to hear any arguments about how being able to buy gear other people have found and put up for sale with real money (via Red beans -> Credits -> gear) makes it "pay to win." That gives you no advantage over people who are actually earning that loot, and you still have to put in the dozens of hours of playtime to progress your frame from 1-40 to be able to use that uber gear... Which honestly does not even give you that huge of an advantage over the crappiest quality junk you can cheaply craft in terms of sheer power, and then still relies on your skill to actually be able to use the thing.

There's your argument. "Not a huge advantage" implies some advantage.

- Quboid

6. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 29, 2014, 22:40 jacobvandy

Actually no, you cannot create crystite out of thin air, that is what has to be earned by playing. Red beans (and everything else on the player marketplace) are traded in credits. Credits are ONLY created by converting crystite. So any currency you tie up in player-to-player transactions is stuck there. So it's slightly different than say, GW2, due to the buffer between in-game currency and premium currency.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 22:39:
What's the main mechanic here? Questing? loot? Because if it's loot, then it having an AH is a major turn off. D3 dropped it for a reason.

Now if it ain't loot, how is the gameplay? What is long-term motivation in this? (Trailer tells nothing)

Loot is nice, but as I said it's the same old "vastly increased cost for tiny measure of better efficiency" end-game progression that you see in other MMOs. If you're a good FPS player, you can kill things with shitty gear just fine. It's really fun just as an actual MMOFPS for the PVE, in my opinion, which includes an end-game open world area that is being progressively expanded with player contributions toward "the war effort." Existing raid bosses and etc. there have not been uncovered yet, and more will be on the way. They also have this vast open-world PVP area where you compete for territory and resources, if that's more your thing.

Say what you will about the surrounding features, but they really did an awesome job with the core gameplay of shooting things with guns, that you don't need a standard MMO "main mechanic" to hinge on. Why do you play shooters? That's why you play Firefall, and it's fun enough to put at least some time into. I mean... It's free.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2014, 22:51.

5. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 29, 2014, 22:39 eRe4s3r

What's the main mechanic here? Questing? loot? Because if it's loot, then it having an AH is a major turn off. D3 dropped it for a reason.

Now if it ain't loot, how is the gameplay? What is long-term motivation in this? (Trailer tells nothing)

4. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 29, 2014, 21:41 Asmodai

Nah, it works like this.

Crystite - In game currency
Credits (used on AH) - Can only be purchased for crystite
Red Beans (cash currency) - Purchased via money from Red 5, or from other players with Crystite
Vouchers - Quest rewards in game, used to purchase gear from vendors

All gear in game is either drop, purchased from vendors with vouchers or bought from the AH with credits. Ostensibly, you could buy red beans, trade for crystite then trade crystite for credits to purchase stuff off the commodities exchange (not a typical AH), so technically yes, you can buy gear with "real money" if you are willing to do two exchanges to get it.

Red beans are only used for cosmetic items, boosts, naf in game shit like drinks and fireworks and VIP time, so you can grind crystite and sub for VIP time if you wish.

Unfortunately, despite the departure of Mark Kern (Grummz), the dev team is still playing fast and loose with major changes right up to (and I'm guessing beyond) release. They recently screwed around with quest XP for lower level frames in higher level areas because people were exploiting a static event to grind 1-40 rapidly afk. Now, even if you can do 40 content in a 25 (you can, I have), you get fuck all rewards for it, and so are consigned to the "appropriate area" until you get to the right level to proceed. Pretty annoying all up.

3. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 29, 2014, 20:52 Quboid

Slayblaze wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 20:17:
Best MMO available right now. Totally Free also - you can even buy the real-money currency with in-game free currency that you earn just by playing what has turned out to be a super-fun Release build of the game.

I noticed earlier today that The Elder Scrolls Online is £50 and that only includes 1 month. I can't imagine paying that sort of money without even a trial version AFAIK. I did try the beta but lost motivation after spending ages designing my character, just to have my client crash before saving it. (Also, why is it 30% more expensive than in the US?)

Free-to-Play doesn't have to be Pay-to-Win. Load Out does it pretty well, nothing that directly affects your performance can be bought with real money. You can buy a booster so you get more rewards at the end of games but other than that, it's all cosmetic stuff. Some of it was amazingly over priced but the gameplay was pure. You would never feel like you got beaten because someone spent more money, which is crucial to me.

Can you buy anything that affects your performance in Firefall? Weapons, armour, classes, that sort of thing? IMHO even if the same gear can be bought with in-game currency, the integrity is shot.

- Quboid

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo