Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 30, 2014, 02:10 RenownWolf

You also have to setup a forced detected screen in Windows. That will make the GPU active. It's all a bit funky sometimes, but it does work, and you don't have to plug anything into the onboard stuff.

I currently have this setup running on 3 PCs and a Surface Pro. 2 PCs and the Surface run Windows 8.1 and the last PC runs Windows 7 (it is also the main streaming PC that contains 2x HDMI input cards).

If you want some help and that doesn't do the trick feel free to post in here and I'll drop some contact info.

http://www.renownwolf.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 29, 2014, 19:27 mag

RenownWolf wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 18:15:
You can use quicksync as long as the CPU has the inbuilt GPU and it's enabled in the bios.

You don't have to use the actual GPU for anything other than a forced hidden screen. You can then use it for transcoding (works ace with OBS).

This is not, in general, true. Even if you enable the integrated GPU in the BIOS, if you have a discrete graphics card it will be disabled, and you will not be able to use quicksync. This is by design.

Many older motherboards included a license to Virtu MVP for this exact reason--it's a software solution that re-enables it, and allows you to use the Intel GPU for quicksync even if you have a separate graphics card.

The most recent lines of motherboards have not included these licenses because Windows 8 had some subset of its functionality built in. So--it's true if you've got Win8, it's true if you have separate software, it's possible that there are certain motherboards that include workarounds, but in the most general case... you can't use quicksync unless that's the only GPU you've got.

(I actually half-remember that maybe if you plug a monitor into the integrated display ports as well as the discrete, to make it work, you might be able to get quicksync to work that way too. Not sure).

Anyway, this is my understanding. I've got Win7, I've got an i7 4770k with a GTX 770, I have the Intel graphics enabled in the BIOS, quicksync is not available in OBS.

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 29, 2014, 18:15 RenownWolf

You can use quicksync as long as the CPU has the inbuilt GPU and it's enabled in the bios.

You don't have to use the actual GPU for anything other than a forced hidden screen. You can then use it for transcoding (works ace with OBS).

But I am going to guess your desktop CPU doesn't have the GPU since it's o/c'ed.

Alternative is NVENC from Nvidia which is meant to have comparable results. This also works great with OBS. Though Vegas was mentioned and I don't know what it's level of support for NVENC is. It also requires getting access to the right .dll or getting access via nvidia. (The dll is posted a million times around the OBS forums and elsewhere.)

Nothing beats pure CPU power though for the best quality encodes though Speed however is another matter.

http://www.renownwolf.com

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 29, 2014, 17:15 mag

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 13:05:
Ozmodan wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 10:11:
I avoid Intel laptops, might have to look into the Kaveri based ones. Intel's best GPU on the cpu die just outright sucks. Can't tell you how many people I have had to add a graphics card and power supply on desktops because they won't play kids games.

Of course with a laptop you are stuck with what you get, hence some advice, if the laptop has a intel graphics chip, avoid it unless of course it is only for business and you are not doing any sophisticated business graphics.

I edit and render a lot of video and I SO wish Intel would decouple Quick Sync from its craptastic "GPUs." When rendering a project in Vegas, it's about 4x faster on my Core i7 laptop with Intel HD 4600 graphics than on my super overclocked i7 desktop with a GTX 770 because NVIDIA's purposefully gimped CUDA cores in anything beyond the 5xx series to try to push professionals to their insanely overpriced Quadro cards. The only way I can get Quick Sync on my desktop is if I use the horrendous Virtu MVP software to enable the on-board video at the same time as my GPU. That software is the absolute worst though and most of the time, the feature doesn't work.

I've heard that Windows 8(.1 Update) has the Virtu MVP functionality built in. People have at least claimed to be able to use QuickSync in OBS in Win 8, even with a dedicated card.

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 29, 2014, 13:05 Parallax Abstraction

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 10:11:
I avoid Intel laptops, might have to look into the Kaveri based ones. Intel's best GPU on the cpu die just outright sucks. Can't tell you how many people I have had to add a graphics card and power supply on desktops because they won't play kids games.

Of course with a laptop you are stuck with what you get, hence some advice, if the laptop has a intel graphics chip, avoid it unless of course it is only for business and you are not doing any sophisticated business graphics.

I edit and render a lot of video and I SO wish Intel would decouple Quick Sync from its craptastic "GPUs." When rendering a project in Vegas, it's about 4x faster on my Core i7 laptop with Intel HD 4600 graphics than on my super overclocked i7 desktop with a GTX 770 because NVIDIA's purposefully gimped CUDA cores in anything beyond the 5xx series to try to push professionals to their insanely overpriced Quadro cards. The only way I can get Quick Sync on my desktop is if I use the horrendous Virtu MVP software to enable the on-board video at the same time as my GPU. That software is the absolute worst though and most of the time, the feature doesn't work.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 29, 2014, 10:17 nin

I know, right?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 29, 2014, 10:11 Ozmodan

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo