Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The Gunnar-man and I both survived his bath yesterday, mostly. He's actually very cooperative about bathing, considering how little practice he has, but at one point he did manage to clunk me in the face with his head, which bent the crap out of one of those little nose pieces on my glasses. I got them back in working order, but I tried to be careful, because those little wires are delicate, so I plan on stopping by the eye doctor to get these fixed properly.

R.I.P.: 'El Mariachi' star Peter Marquardt dead at 50. Also worked on some video games including Deus Ex and Wing Commander IV.

Bent Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Hero in the Ocean 2.
Rodent Racer.
Science: Dark matter makes up 80% of the Universeóbut where is it all?
Media: Here's the First Mad Max Trailer, and It Will Make You a Believer. Thanks nin.
GOAT SIMULATOR (Teens React- Gaming).
Follow-up: Control restored to beleaguered sex gecko satellite. John Oliver missed the news.
Martin Pulling Back From GoT Season 5. Hanging around set another distraction.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: GRRM Jul 31, 2014, 20:40 Stormsinger

Verno wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 15:20:
Stormsinger wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 15:06:
Admittedly, the man's a slow writer, but I suspect that may have something to do with why his books are uniformly good.

Uniformly good? I wouldn't go that far haha.

I think the show has actually exceeded the books in many aspects but I worry about where they'll take it. Its clear he cannot finish the series as fast as they can film it (which is so messed up considering the jump he had on it) so now the concern is what they decide to do with the vague outline he gave them for the series ending.

Edit: spelling
You're correct, it is aboslutely clear he can't finish the series as fast as they can film it. And the blame for that belongs 100% on the heads of the studio. Martin didn't all of a sudden get slow when the movie rights were sold. He's -always- been slow as molasses. If the studio couldn't figure that out, they deserve to flounder and fail, which I have little doubt they'll do, once they pass him up.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2014, 14:39 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 14:54:
Holy blue flaming Jesus on a pogo stick! What a nightmare the last few days has been since moving into my new house. A total comedy of errors...without the comedy. From the useless dickbag movers to basically having to build a new PC to get online - which I'm still not and have borrowed a friend's extra laptop just to get net access for now. I,ve probably spent 500 bucks in the last 5 days going back and forth to the computer store and buying and retutrning all kinds of crap. Then there's the joy of discovering all those little things in the house that'll need to be changed and fixed and replaced. Remember The Money Pit with Tom Hanks?

Ommmmm....mamaste....*deep breaths*

At least you didn't get flooded in your first week of being in your new house like it happened to me.

I had the same issues getting online in a 20 year old house. Because the tech changed so much the past 20 years it's nearly guaranteed that you can't use ANY of the pre-installed shit. I had to drill new holes in walls to even get my internet from the basement (where it utterly kills my WIFI signal) to the first floor in a place where WIFI spreads properly...

Idiot owners sealed the cable shafts and idiot pre-owners laid analogue cables that don't work for gbit network. So I had to lay my entirely own network infrastructure through 3 floors just to get GBIT cable in the house in 3 rooms and WIFI where I wanted it...

Then I gave up when it came to smart-tv (was a really bad location, and would have to connect it to my router, so I just got powerline network adapters.. work fine No cabling needed anymore.

The stuff you can experience when moving to a new location is infinite. Especially when it comes to ANYTHING that is "pre-installed" ;/

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2014, 11:56 Creston

killer_roach wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 00:31:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 11:00:
Sigh, George RR Martin. He's going to pull a Robert Jordan on his readers, it's pretty much a given at this point.

So does that mean we get Brandon Sanderson to salvage this series too?

Speaking of that, how did that turn out? Has he finished it yet? Anyone read it?

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2014, 11:49 Beamer

1badmf wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 01:07:
also not a fan of tom hardy in the role. good actor, but they needed someone more masculine.

Wait, so the most masculine person in Inception, Batman and Warrior isn't masculine enough?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2014, 11:32 Mad Max RW

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 20:21:
I liked the Mad Max trailer. I heard they did a lot of physical stunts instead of trying to do everything with CG.

Almost everything is authentic from the stunts down to the 200+ individually customized vehicles and the huge explosions. Nothing similar to that was attempted in decades. Like the originals you will watch and wonder how nobody died.

I've been closely following production since the early 2000s. I know a hell of a lot of spoilers thanks to people on the crew who are very open with fans. Rest assured the new movie is definitely not some Michael Bay chickenshit CGI heap. It's basically Road Warrior with a massive budget. I'll always be bummed Mel Gibson missed out on his chance, however I don't think even the younger Mel from 20 years ago would have been up for what they just did.

After waiting years and becoming more and more cynical, the first trailer really alleviated a lot of my worries. I'm genuinely excited now. Also Hugh Keays-Byrne.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2014, 01:07 1badmf

if it's just a case of wrong-focused marketing a la bladerunner or kingdom of heaven, i'll gladly eat my words. but that trailer was just fluff to me that, as i said, didn't at all capture what made mad max great. i don't see why everybody's so excited about it. it might as well have been a trailer for michael bay's mad max turbo edition on mars. also not a fan of tom hardy in the role. good actor, but they needed someone more masculine.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2014, 00:49 Agent.X7

killer_roach wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 00:31:
Sigh, George RR Martin. He's going to pull a Robert Jordan on his readers, it's pretty much a given at this point.

Sanderson did well with RJ because he was aping his style anyway. He would totally shit up Martin.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2014, 00:31 killer_roach

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2014, 20:21 Silicon Avatar

I liked the Mad Max trailer. I heard they did a lot of physical stunts instead of trying to do everything with CG.  

17. Re: GRRM Jul 28, 2014, 18:07 Creston

Don't you mean "what took him 15"? They haven't gone into territory he hasn't already written...have they (I'm nowhere near current on the show)?

I'd read a report that said that by the end of season 5 they'd have caught up with him (since they're only doing 7 seasons) and from that point they'd realistically be on their own, since his new book is going to take another two to three years at least.

Admittedly, the man's a slow writer, but I suspect that may have something to do with why his books are uniformly good.

*chokes on water*

Yeah, they're really not. The last book was uniformly about 700 pages of absolute shit in which just about NOTHING happens. It's full-on Robert Jordan Syndrome. (who excelled at having entire books be about fucking nothing. I think it took the Aes Sedai army five books to walk back to their tower?)

Don't get me wrong, it's a good story, and (especially at the time it came out), it's a very different kind of fantasy and for that he deserves praise, but his work ethic is just terrible.

I've written things myself, and it's an enormous pain to finish a book, because eventually the joy of writing that story is already gone (as you've already gone over everything in your mind a hundred times at least) and then it's just really irritating work that you're doing.

On the flipside, as a writer who is enormously popular, you owe it to the people who bought your books / your fans to finish your damn story. And while he understandably gets pissed when people say that he'll likely be dead before he ever finishes it, the sad reality is that it's now more likely than not.

And as good as the show is, it couldn't (or at least is extremely unlikely to) have turned out so good if he hadn't written the story for them. Few screenwriters can create a story from scratch that measures up to those books.

Obviously, but the show is also so good because it cuts out a lot of the dead weight from the books. The show is almost razor focused on the main plot and keeps it moving.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2014, 17:57 Beamer

1badmf wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 17:53:
Stormsinger wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 15:07:
RoboNerd wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 11:21:
It's weird I just re-watched Thunderdome twice about two weeks ago, then this trailer appears. Just don't know about Mad Max without Mel. Policeman

I'm pretty "meh" about this one. Dunno if I've outgrown the genre or what, but I didn't find the trailer very interesting.

i'm with you man. what made mad max great was the Heart of Darkness type of journey he took to his own salvation. i didn't see that in the trailer, just 15(hundred) pieces of flare. i suspect they'll get it wrong, look good, play boring.

You mean the teaser that didn't have a hint of story because it solely showed action (did it even have dialogue?), left you cold because it didn't have a hint of story, just action?

The original director is doing this. Have a tiny bit of faith. And the action actually looked pretty good - mostly practical effects augmented by CGI rather than all CGI.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2014, 17:53 1badmf

It's weird I just re-watched Thunderdome twice about two weeks ago, then this trailer appears. Just don't know about Mad Max without Mel. Policeman

I'm pretty "meh" about this one. Dunno if I've outgrown the genre or what, but I didn't find the trailer very interesting.

i'm with you man. what made mad max great was the Heart of Darkness type of journey he took to his own salvation. i didn't see that in the trailer, just 15(hundred) pieces of flare. i suspect they'll get it wrong, look good, play boring.

14. Re: GRRM Jul 28, 2014, 15:53 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 15:20:

I think the show has actually exceeded the books in many aspects but I worry about where they'll take it. Its clear he cannot finish the series as fast as they can film it (which is so messed up considering the jump he had on it) so now the concern is what they decide to do with the vague outline he gave them for the series ending.

Maybe they'll do what they do when a popular anime exceeds the comic its based on... season after season of filler Get ready for 'The Erstwhile adventures of Hodor'!

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2014, 15:31 Fantaz

it looks cooooool!

12. Re: GRRM Jul 28, 2014, 15:20 Verno

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2014, 15:28.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2014, 15:07 Stormsinger

10. Re: GRRM Jul 28, 2014, 15:06 Stormsinger

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 12:43:
Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 11:38:
I can sort of understand him not wanting to be there. After all, it's gotta be rough watching other people do in five years what you weren't able to do in 15.

Or more likely all the sex and boobs, and the mother of dragons... are distracting him ;p
Don't you mean "what took him 15"? They haven't gone into territory he hasn't already written...have they (I'm nowhere near current on the show)?

Admittedly, the man's a slow writer, but I suspect that may have something to do with why his books are uniformly good. And as good as the show is, it couldn't (or at least is extremely unlikely to) have turned out so good if he hadn't written the story for them. Few screenwriters can create a story from scratch that measures up to those books.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2014, 14:54 Cutter

Holy blue flaming Jesus on a pogo stick! What a nightmare the last few days has been since moving into my new house. A total comedy of errors...without the comedy. From the useless dickbag movers to basically having to build a new PC to get online - which I'm still not and have borrowed a friend's extra laptop just to get net access for now. I,ve probably spent 500 bucks in the last 5 days going back and forth to the computer store and buying and retutrning all kinds of crap. Then there's the joy of discovering all those little things in the house that'll need to be changed and fixed and replaced. Remember The Money Pit with Tom Hanks?

Ommmmm....mamaste....*deep breaths*

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: GRRM Jul 28, 2014, 14:34 Agent.X7

GRRM - says fuck you to fans, then realizes fans are probably right and he needs to buckle down maybe just a little.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

7. Re: GRRM Jul 28, 2014, 13:02 sauron

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 12:43:
Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 11:38:
I can sort of understand him not wanting to be there. After all, it's gotta be rough watching other people do in five years what you weren't able to do in 15.

Or more likely all the sex and boobs, and the mother of dragons... are distracting him ;p

I rather like the sex and boobs. But the show does get pretty violent. Watching someone's hand get chopped off in closeup was a bit shocking, even though I used to perform amputations as part of my job.

But the sex and boobs? Hey, I got no problem with those. at. all.

Kittens!

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo