Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek Gets Funds for "Transitional Phase"

There's a statement from Crytek on GamesIndustry.biz addressing a series of rumors of financial problems at the German publisher/developer, including reports of missed payrolls. After previously denying the validity of these reports, they now acknowledge they've had to secure additional funding as they work through a "transitional phase" from development studio to online publisher. Here's their statement:

In recent weeks, there have been repeated reports and rumors relating to financial problems at Crytek. Having already given an update to staff across all our studios, we are now in a position to share more details with members of the press and public.

Internally, we have acknowledged that the flow of information to employees has not been as good as it should have, however we hope you understand that communicating details of our plans publicly has not always been possible.

Like the games industry as a whole, Crytek has been in a transitional phase. Our evolution from a development studio to an Online-Publisher has required us to refocus our strategies. These challenges go along with an increased demand for capital which we have secured.

We can now concentrate on the long term strategic direction of Crytek and our core competencies. We kindly ask for your understanding, that we won't be communicating further details about our developments and progress.

Ultimately, with our organization, capitalization, portfolio and technologies we have now laid the foundations for securing Crytek's future - not just in the short term, but also long term.

Through this period of speculation, we are thankful for the support and encouragement we've received from our community and our partners, and for the contribution all of our staff have made. We remain committed to doing what we are best known for and trying to develop the best interactive experiences and technology possible for everyone who loves gaming.

We are confident that we will be able to share more positive news on Crytek's progress soon.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 27, 2014, 19:47 Slick

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 18:37:
Slick wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 11:07:
HOOO BOY.

crysis 2 was an improvement over crysis 1? graphics were better? farcry 2 and 3 had better graphics!? you need to go back to crysis and actually finish it. or don't who cares.
I absolutely stand by my statement. Crysis really wasn't as impressive as people like to make out.

as i've said, Crysis's only problem was that it was released too soon.
Or that it lacked any gameplay. It was just a giant sandbox shooter.

Kajetan wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 08:51:
I find both lacking ... well, but Crytek was never known for good gameplay design. They do tech. Nothing else. Becoming a game developer was not the brightest idea, because they had no game design talent. And they hired only mediocre game design talent. There is no vision in Cryteks games, no clear gameplay design. They just make the game up, as they go along and scrap everything they build for the next game, even in the same game. Do you really remember Far Cry? Playing on this beautiful island, battling mercenaries and suddenly these stupid monsters in corridors and this absurd, grotesque and just lazy designed end fight?
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying it was a classic. The dialogue was extremely cheesy, the checkpoints annoying and the ending was terrible. But in terms of overall games it had the better package.

What annoyed me about Crysis is that Crytek learned absolutely nothing from Far Cry. The biggest complaint was the ending and the supernatural shit, so what do they do? They replace mutants with aliens. Not only that but North Koreans as the enemy? What a joke. When I first heard about Crysis I was excited, until I read about the aliens and North Koreans. At with Crysis 2 they actually put in a narrative and had decent voice acting, even if they were still limited by the generic premise.

it's funny how you say how little dialogue, a silly premise, alien invasions, and armed guards to kill is = terrible game with no gameplay

perhaps you should revisit Half Life then re-appraise your words.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 27, 2014, 13:52 Ant

I still need to resume Crysis 1 and finish it!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

29. Re: Crytek secure funds for transition from life to death Jul 26, 2014, 22:40 Creston

El Pit wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 03:37:
I haven't played Crysis 3 yet, it's one of the 500 games on my backlist.

Crysis 3 is really good, but it's sadly waaaaaaay too short. Which is weird, because Crysis 2 is really long (when I played it the first time, there were several times where I thought the game would be over, and it kept on going.)

Crysis 3 also fixes about the only big issue I had with Crysis 2, which is the lack of open areas to fight in. It's definitely worth playing, I had a lot of fun. It's just over in roughly six to eight hours...

28. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 26, 2014, 18:37 theyarecomingforyou

HOOO BOY.

crysis 2 was an improvement over crysis 1? graphics were better? farcry 2 and 3 had better graphics!? you need to go back to crysis and actually finish it. or don't who cares.
I absolutely stand by my statement. Crysis really wasn't as impressive as people like to make out.

Or that it lacked any gameplay. It was just a giant sandbox shooter.

Kajetan wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 08:51:
I find both lacking ... well, but Crytek was never known for good gameplay design. They do tech. Nothing else. Becoming a game developer was not the brightest idea, because they had no game design talent. And they hired only mediocre game design talent. There is no vision in Cryteks games, no clear gameplay design. They just make the game up, as they go along and scrap everything they build for the next game, even in the same game. Do you really remember Far Cry? Playing on this beautiful island, battling mercenaries and suddenly these stupid monsters in corridors and this absurd, grotesque and just lazy designed end fight?
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying it was a classic. The dialogue was extremely cheesy, the checkpoints annoying and the ending was terrible. But in terms of overall games it had the better package.

What annoyed me about Crysis is that Crytek learned absolutely nothing from Far Cry. The biggest complaint was the ending and the supernatural shit, so what do they do? They replace mutants with aliens. Not only that but North Koreans as the enemy? What a joke. When I first heard about Crysis I was excited, until I read about the aliens and North Koreans. At with Crysis 2 they actually put in a narrative and had decent voice acting, even if they were still limited by the generic premise.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

27. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 26, 2014, 16:45 Jackplug

What you get for making shit games, this proves it that gfx doesn't make a game.  

26. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 26, 2014, 11:18 Timmeh

pointless rant removed.

25. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 26, 2014, 11:07 Slick

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 08:03:
Crysis was a poorly optimised tech engine with utterly mediocre gameplay. I've tried to complete it on numerous occasions but I just find it tedious. Far Cry was the better game.

As for Crysis 2, it was definitely an improvement. The suit powers were streamlined and the narrative was decent, even if nothing original. The biggest criticism is that it didn't make use of open environment, so it felt a bit restrictive. The graphics were better, plus the game was much better optimised.

The problem with the Crysis series is that Ubisoft surpassed it with Far Cry 2 and 3, which had better graphics, better gameplay and better narratives.

HOOO BOY.

the gameplay and multiplayer of crysis was tight, just not for everyone who enjoyed using real tactics in their MP gameplay. most people didn't even know that using MAX POWER your accuracy got twice as good, as your muscles absorbed the recoil much better, however now you were a glowing red target for your enemies.

I've been playing Crysis MP for years, the suit power switching is much more satisfying than the console-centric CRysis 2 and 3, which were basterdizations of the franchise and a big step DOWN graphics and technology-wise.

24. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 26, 2014, 08:51 Kajetan

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 08:03:
Crysis was a poorly optimised tech engine with utterly mediocre gameplay. I've tried to complete it on numerous occasions but I just find it tedious. Far Cry was the better game.

There is no game design talent at Crytek. Never was, never will be.

23. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 26, 2014, 08:03 theyarecomingforyou

As for Crysis 2, it was definitely an improvement. The suit powers were streamlined and the narrative was decent, even if nothing original. The biggest criticism is that it didn't make use of open environment, so it felt a bit restrictive. The graphics were better, plus the game was much better optimised.

The problem with the Crysis series is that Ubisoft surpassed it with Far Cry 2 and 3, which had better graphics, better gameplay and better narratives.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

22. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 26, 2014, 03:48 KilrathiAce

Online Publisher? what  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

21. Crytek secure funds for transition from life to death Jul 26, 2014, 03:37 El Pit

It's a shame to see Crytek go belly up. I loved FarCry and Crysis, and I even liked Crysis 2. I haven't played Crysis 3 yet, it's one of the 500 games on my backlist. I would have liked to play other games on pc, but I am not into MOBA or Multiplayer FPS. It seems I stopped being part of their target audience a while ago.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

20. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 26, 2014, 00:45 saluk

Maybe when the dust settles the ex-crysis developers can create a bunch of dueling studios and fight information wars with each other over kickstarter without actually making any games.  

19. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 25, 2014, 23:17 wtf_man

DangerDog wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 20:14:
I don't want Crytek to fail, I just want them to get back to making decent games again.

Dude, probably most of the folks that made Far Cry are long gone.

Just sayin'... it's not the same company.

18. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 25, 2014, 23:10 Slick

I also remember the day I received my shareware copy of Wolfenstein 3D, and I still put Crysis up there against it, DooM, Half-Life, painkiller.

Crysis has a special place in my heart, it was bigger than life in many ways, and the campaign is probably the last single-player FPS experience that has stayed with me so vividly.

17. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 25, 2014, 22:36 Creston

Online publisher. So, they're not going to develop games anymore, or they're just only going to be making online games?

In either case, I'm glad they got funding to continue to exist, so hopefully noone will lose their job.

16. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 25, 2014, 21:53 Acleacius

Aggressively and falsely attacked PC gamers. Enough said.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

15. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 25, 2014, 21:14 Kajetan

DangerDog wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 20:14:
As generous as their offer to make games with CryEngine is I just don't see there being enough talent to make that happen, not when everywhere you turn people are putting out tutorial vids on making games with Unreal Engine or Unity.
And there is a reason for that. Lacking support from Crytek for people interested in using the CryEngine. Arrogant behavior against people seeking help or asking for certain features. Lacking documentation. Not very intuitive tools require a hefty amount of work to produce something you can achieve with the UDK or Unity very, very fast. The CryEngine licensing business has failed. It's dead.

14. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 25, 2014, 20:14 DangerDog

I don't want Crytek to fail, I just want them to get back to making decent games again.

Making free-2-fail, quicktime even driven console drivel or some MOBA clone isn't going to cut it.

As generous as their offer to make games with CryEngine is I just don't see there being enough talent to make that happen, not when everywhere you turn people are putting out tutorial vids on making games with Unreal Engine or Unity.

13. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 25, 2014, 19:37 Beamer

Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 19:25:
Slick wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 19:08:
Still, Crysis 1 is one of the best classic FPS games ever made.
I would agree with that but I'm too old. I can remember Doom, Duke 3D, Quake, UT, Farcry and countless other FPS titles. By comparison Crysis isn't even a blip on my gaming memory.

I'd call Crysis as good as Far Cry. The early game was nearly as good, with a few fights I consider more memorable, and the late game was nowhere near as bad.

It wasn't as ground breaking, but it was a better game. Warface, Warhawk, whatever the expansion was, was near perfect.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 25, 2014, 19:32 Icewind

Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 19:25:
Slick wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 19:08:
Still, Crysis 1 is one of the best classic FPS games ever made.
The only way I could agree with that is if I was young enough to not have grown up playing Doom, Duke3D, Quake, HL2..hell even Farcry 1

Oddly enough, I responded to this after just leaving a GZDOOM session. But yeah, Crysis was not a classic. It survived two trips on my PC and some mild multiplayer before scrapping it. Crysis 2 didn't even last one trip. Figured they were so plain vanilla and devoid of anything new that I never bothered with the 3rd.

There are classic modern FPS's out there, like Stalker, Metro Last Light and the original Painkiller, but Crysis was never more than a benchmarking utility.

Call me callous and douchey, which I am, but I'm glad Crytek is floundering. They were very antagonistic towards their community and PC gaming as a whole, only coming back to us after Crysis 2 flopped and they had that big presentation about the tesselation/DX11 patch. Too little, too late.

Let them burn.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo