Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

VG247 - 8 things PC gamers are always wrong about.
They are so off on the first two it makes you think number three has to be true too.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2014, 19:20 Flatline

Prez wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 21:25:
What a stupid, stupid article.

Pretty much.

I just need to reply to point 8 though:

8. I don't have to spend 50 bucks a year to listen to 14 year-olds call me a fag and scream at me.

On that point alone I think PCs win.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Op Ed Jul 25, 2014, 08:07 ASeven

Gaming journalism, ladies and gentlemen! Give it a round of applause for what it has become.  

34. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 21:25 Prez

What a stupid, stupid article.  

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 11:08 JAGUART

That was like reading a fat chick's (with an annoying personality) commentary of a Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.

"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

32. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 09:26 Frags4Fun

The author is totally butthurt! LOL! Pathetic actually.

I wonder if he stormed off to his room and had a tantrum after. He sounds like he's put a lot of thought into trying to convince himself that consoles are better. He probably bought an expensive game and installed it on his moms computer and when it wouldn't run he had a fit.

31. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 09:08 Burrito of Peace

The back and forth between PC gamers and console gamers is almost pleasant compared to the things I've seen in the Linux community. Debian vs RedHat, Arch users vs Ubuntu users, KDE vs Gnome vs Cinnamon vs LXDE, FOSS versus non-free...those conversations get extremely ugly.  

30. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 08:36 HoSpanky

It never once mentions "oh by the way, your pc does a LOT of things other than gaming, so the added cost is diffused there". Granted, most people don't start with a tower, they have a laptop or tablet, so they're basically screwed if it can't run the games they want. Building a pc the first time is daunting, and if you're doing it on the cheap, something WILL probably go wrong with it in the first 6 months ("my $15 1000 watt PSU stopped working!").
Console gaming is just plain more accessible. Was at a customer's house yesterday who was having a hell of a time setting up an Xbox 360. That woman wasn't ABOUT to consider building a gaming computer.

PC gaming looks better but is more difficult and costly, if you start from scratch.

It's a clickbait article, for sure. At least each "reason" wasn't on its own page.

Stupid Xbone. Was all set to ignore the new consoles, then Forza Horizon 2 gets announced. Also buying The Club on Xbone. I know it's coming to pc but every pc racing game I've bought is a ghost town a month after release.

29. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 07:08 Redmask

PropheT wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 23:25:
He's right, though. Pretty much every story here about console games gets a "more dumbed down stupid console shit" post even though there are quite a few people who play games they like no matter what system they wind up on.

No he's not right. One or two idiots trolling does not mean the entire website has that attitude. PC gamers aren't the only ones who troll either.

28. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 04:28 NKD

Sepharo wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 23:30:
It sure seems worse now than it used to be [...]

Seriously? Platform/console-wars are nothing like what they used to be in my opinion. But that could just be because as an adult I'm more removed from them. Kids have more of a stake because they're often stuck with just one platform/console and feel they need to defend their (or their parents') choice.

And as far as Blue's goes, I seem to remember this place being far more staunchly PC in the past. These days the console topics are sometimes more discussed than the PC ones.

I think it's more an issue of being more removed from the subject than people getting any less ridiculous about platform of choice. If anything, it's worse. I was never threatened with violence for liking SNES over Genesis. At worst I was called a fag. I never had anyone send a SWAT team to my house becausely I publicly stated a controversial opinion on the subject, etc.

The little teenagers fighting the console wars these days are more vile and vindictive than ever.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

27. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 23:30 Sepharo

It sure seems worse now than it used to be [...]

Seriously? Platform/console-wars are nothing like what they used to be in my opinion. But that could just be because as an adult I'm more removed from them. Kids have more of a stake because they're often stuck with just one platform/console and feel they need to defend their (or their parents') choice.

And as far as Blue's goes, I seem to remember this place being far more staunchly PC in the past. These days the console topics are sometimes more discussed than the PC ones.

26. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 23:25 PropheT

Redmask wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 21:36:
This is a PC site so I'm not surprised. You're cherry picking to support a rant. I'm tired of reading about your bullshit problems with this board. Daily. On this site. But I put up with it, for now, because you take the good with the bad. So you can put up with a few people ranting about something that bugs them or being irrational, its the fucking internet what did you expect?

He's right, though. Pretty much every story here about console games gets a "more dumbed down stupid console shit" post even though there are quite a few people who play games they like no matter what system they wind up on.

It's the same thing on r/Games (r/Gaming is full of wacko Nintendo nuts for some reason), though. Gamefaqs is probably the dumbest gaming site on the internet, but it has a lot of spillover from PC gamers trolling console players even though it's a primarily console-oriented site.

Yeah, it's the internet and it's always had its stupid. It sure seems worse now than it used to be, though, and this article only has its audience because everyone has seen what he's talking about somewhere.

25. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 23:24 Sepharo

"3 things some PC gamers are sometimes wrong about"  

24. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 21:53 ChaosEngine

Loopy wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 21:43:
It really, really is. You may be able to build a respectable unit for not-a-million-pounds, but then you have the monitor, the keyboard and whatever else. Yes, you have to buy a TV to play console games on, but if you donít already own one youíre probably either over 90 years old or youíre some kind of book-reading Luddite (and thatís the worst kind of Luddite).

I'm neither 90 nor do I consider myself a Luddite. Should I take the average? A 45 year-old that just reads books???

The thing I find hilarious is people who complain about spending a few hundred bucks on a PC, but then brag about how they have a 60 inch tv. What is the point of spending all that money on a massive tv when you're going to plug a games machine into it that can't even do 1080p?

23. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 21:43 Loopy

It really, really is. You may be able to build a respectable unit for not-a-million-pounds, but then you have the monitor, the keyboard and whatever else. Yes, you have to buy a TV to play console games on, but if you donít already own one youíre probably either over 90 years old or youíre some kind of book-reading Luddite (and thatís the worst kind of Luddite).

I'm neither 90 nor do I consider myself a Luddite. Should I take the average? A 45 year-old that just reads books???

22. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 21:36 Redmask

Beamer wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 19:07:
I've seen stupid console players that think their console is untouchable, but I see far fewer of them than I see PC gamers convinced that they are the second coming of Christ because they prefer to be hunched over a desk.
On this site.
Daily.

This is a PC site so I'm not surprised. You're cherry picking to support a rant. I'm tired of reading about your bullshit problems with this board. Daily. On this site. But I put up with it, for now, because you take the good with the bad. So you can put up with a few people ranting about something that bugs them or being irrational, its the fucking internet what did you expect?

For my part I get where they're coming from because the PC platform was almost marginalized at one point and people had to endure a lot of 'so what, not enough sales' type of indifference from other people and the development community. Things are finally now in a good place thanks to digital distribution but that doesn't mean people forget over night.

You don't need to use a PC hunched over a desk by the way, that is some antiquated shit. I have a kickass PC that streams to my living room, shit is out of this world.

21. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 21:22 HorrorScope

I would say the only one they may have me at is the fiver. But if they are talking about just upgrading mb/chip/ram/vc... close and that would be stronger than current gen hw.  

20. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 21:16 Agent.X7

Wolfox wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 18:08:
Oh my. Talk about linkbait trolling. That was embarassing.

Also, VG247 is now in my blacklist. Next!

Right there with ya, man.

Tell you one thing, though: Destiny looks better on PS4.

Better than what? The non-existent PC version? Derp.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

19. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 20:17 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 19:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 19:51:
No no, evil blues, stop posting clickbait you know we can't resist clicking it! Or call the section click-bait? Hey... there is an idea

Not sure if article was serious or not, but I read at as an "sarcastic take" because... well duh, PC gamers are never wrong about ANYTHING. ^^

I don't think there's a site out there these days that DOESN'T have clickbait titles. Even formerly respectable sites like Wired and Ars do it these days.

Also, we PC gamers ARE never wrong about anything. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken.

Clearly you were not mistaken, you were just confused by nebulous effects to the mind. Because if you had been mistaken you clearly couldn't be a PC Gamer, because PC Gamers are never wrong So nothing they do can possibly be a personal mistake...

18. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 20:17 ChaosEngine

Honestly, I just laughed.

Sure, whatever you need to tell yourself to justify how you got ripped off buying the latest "shittier-version-of-a-pc" from sony or ms.

Meanwhile, I'll be over here gaming at 1440p. And oh look, I didn't have to throw out all my old games.

17. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 20:00 jdreyer

Also, the author as much as admitted the article was clickbait.

Fourth comment: "Iíve got nothing better to do, to be honest."

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo