Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed

Also noted in the EA financials below is a delay to Dragon Age Inquisition. The Dragon Age: Inquisition website tells us the action/RPG sequel is now due on November 18th in North America and November 21st in Europe, with executive producer Mark Darrah saying: "while this extra few weeks may not seem like a lot, I know the game you’ll play will be all the better for it." Here's more on the thinking behind the delay:

Since we began working on Dragon Age: Inquisition almost four years ago, our goal was to create the best Dragon Age experience ever. It was that goal that motivated many of our decisions: moving to Frostbite, bringing race choice and customization back, improving tactical camera, building a team of characters whose relationships evolve based on your actions, and most importantly, crafting an epic, nation-spanning story that both draws upon past games and takes you to many new places in the realm of Thedas.

I’m privileged to be a part of a team that has been working very hard to surpass every measure they’ve set for themselves. That has meant completing huge amounts of game content, fixing bugs both big and small, and improving the overall experience. This last bit of time is about polishing the experience we want you to see. Ensuring that our open spaces are as engaging as possible. Strengthening the emotional impact of the Hero's choices. And ensuring the experience you get is the best it can be in the platform you choose to play on.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 23, 2014, 08:58 Verno

I'll wait to see, preordering makes zero sense and these guys have a lot to prove after DA2. If other people want to be silly with their money then so be it  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2014, 08:29 Darks

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 23:13:
Darks wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 21:35:

Yes, we all are pissed about Da2. But you cant seriously compare this game to the priors. The two look and feel completely different. If you don't see that from watching the two E3 videos, then you must be blind.
As well know, there's no such thing as heavily scripted E3 videos or anything right? I mean just look at Watch Dogs.

Yes you are right. but I have a very good friend who works at Bioware, and he told me that every bit of that video is actual game play. nothing scripted. And yes, I saw this at E3.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

24. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 23, 2014, 05:34 Siygess

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 02:40:
<stuff that is generally true>

While I somewhat agree, I also think that the existing methods of showing the story in a game are also incredibly limited.. or rather they are usually implemented in a heavy-handed manner. In addition to the dialogue-heavy exposition, you also have:

1) In-engine scripted sequence (player still has agency) ala Call of Duty.

The limitations of the game engine often rear their head (player tries to interact with an entity participating in the sequence, to no effect). Also, since the player still has control, it's really easy to miss stuff like this because you were facing the wrong direction or busy poking around in your inventory, looking for cake.

2) In-engine scripted sequence (player has no agency) ala most games, ever.

By taking away control from the player and forcing them to Watch The Damned Story, you are addressing most of the issues with example 1, but the trade off is that you are frustrating the user by taking away their control and breaking their immersion.

3) The cut-scene!

Pre-rendered cut scenes can offer the most movie-like experience when it comes to relating the story but the results are often lackluster (visually) and there is usually a disconnect between what your understanding of the game world and what you see on the screen (I wasn't standing over there. I wasn't wearing that armour. Why can my gun suddenly kill a dude with one shot?) They can also go on for a really long time..

4) Quick-time events, ala Our Friend, the Console Port.

On the plus side, they allow a sequence of events that are normally not possible via the existing game interface and while they don't often impact the story telling (other than.. by preventing you from seeing more of it because you failed) they can be used progress the story in a cinematic way while adding a dash of exposition e.g.

The ship is sinking because, as part of the QTE, you pushed the captain away from the wheel of the ship, tore off the wheel and used it as a projectile weapon to defeat the monster.

Now we understand why the captain is mad and why the ship is out of control in the next scene.

5) Lore!

When pages of dialog just isn't enough, shove all your words in a virtual book that the player can chose to ignore! Now the player can be the kind of well-adjusted sociopath who only interacts with other people via his fist AND likes to read a good book now and then..

Now, all six groups have their detractors but I really don't think that any one of them is inherently bad (not even QTEs!), it just depends on the implementation and frequency within a particular genre of game. In an action RPG like Diablo, I'm fine with a combination of 3 and 5. In a first person shooter I'm fine with 1 - 3. With a third-person action title I'm happy with 2 - 4 and in an RPG? My preference is certainly 2, 5 and the interactive dialogue Bioware is so fond of

23. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 23, 2014, 02:40 Scottish Martial Arts

LittleMe wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 00:41:
Also it has to be introduced bit by bit, slowly, and those pieces need to seamlessly fit together. Movies and books often do a fantastic job of that. Games that overindulge in voice acted dialog such as DA:O (from what I remember of it), not so much.

Yup. I like dialogue in games and I enjoy interactive dialogue, but Bioware has been pretty bad at it for a pretty long time. The terms poorly-paced, long-winded, and overly-expository all come to mind. Many Bioware dialogues drag on for the better part of ten minutes; in how many well made films are their scenes of purely expository dialogue that goes on for that long? Not many. And that's the other problem: Bioware uses dialogue primarily to recount and explain events that either the player has already experienced, or which occurred in the NPCs past and explains their current daddy issues. Any writer that uses dialogue to explain plot really doesn't know much about dialogue or writing in general. Plot is a sequence of ACTIONS, and the strength of VISUAL media is that you can SHOW actions, rather than having to TELL your audience about them retrospectively through the mouths of your characters. Yet Gaider, Karpyshyn and co. seem perfectly content to interrupt gameplay with lengthy dialogue breaks that mostly consists of the following:

PC: What just happened?
NPC: The long ago prophesied evil has returned and begun to inflict its revenge!
PC: But why would they do such a thing?
NPC: Because they are evil and they have been in hiding for a long time, biding the centuries, waiting for their moment to return!
PC: Well what am I supposed to do about it?prophesized
NPC: You are the prophesied chosen one, and the only way the chosen one can defeat this evil is by collecting four items that will ultimately be proved irrelevant to the task of stopping this ancient evil after a plot twist you'll never see coming at the start of the third act.
PC: Oh okay. Do you have directions on how to get to where these four items are?
NPC: Of course, but first I must know: do you intend to stop the ancient evil so that all may live in peace and harmony, or will you defeat said evil only to coopt its power and use that power to murder puppies?
PC: The blatantly good (evil) option of course!
NPC: *Paragon (Renegade) points unlocked* Wise answer! Oh, and by the way did I mention that I really enjoy gay sex and you are exactly my type?

22. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 23, 2014, 01:26 NeOCidE

Bah, you can bet they needed the extra time to put 3 extra colours to the ending.  
Trent Reznor - Atticus Ross an incredible team.

21. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 23, 2014, 00:41 LittleMe

Yeah but it's still an action game and then when the action is interrupted by soap opera drama dialog is force fed any game can become tiresome with too much unnecessary dialog. I think the early Ultimas had that balance done better. SW:TOR and ES:O don't over indulge too much (just a bit).

IMO, letting the player _chose_ to pursue dialog rather than forcing it is best. Also it has to be introduced bit by bit, slowly, and those pieces need to seamlessly fit together. Movies and books often do a fantastic job of that. Games that overindulge in voice acted dialog such as DA:O (from what I remember of it), not so much.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

20. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 23, 2014, 00:26 PropheT

LittleMe wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 18:37:
Icewind wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 18:16:
They need the extra few weeks to tighten up that riveting romance dialog they are so famously known for.

lol yeah with multiple dramatic dialog options.. I like what the Unbended devs said about multiple choice dialogs in their FAQ page:

Actually, those Multiple Choice Dialogue systems tend to slow down the game flow while not offering anything relevant for the game content-wise.

Well said. I don't like how DA:O is so dialog-heavy and force feeds story. Keep the soap operas on TV please.

The multiple choice dialog systems require you to have interaction and involvement in the story so that you're participating in it and actually have to pay a bit of attention instead of just clicking past it and on to the next fight.

Unbended is also an action RPG, it's not even the same kind of game as Dragon Age. They're not saying multiple-choice dialog systems in general are bad for games, they're saying it's wrong for their game.

19. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 22, 2014, 23:32 Redmask

Yes, we all are pissed about Da2. But you cant seriously compare this game to the priors. The two look and feel completely different. If you don't see that from watching the two E3 videos, then you must be blind.

It has a new engine so of course it 'looks' different and given that you haven't played it you have no idea how it 'feels'. Marketing is marketing. People gave Dragon Age 2 the benefit of the doubt too.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2014, 23:13 Mashiki Amiketo

As well know, there's no such thing as heavily scripted E3 videos or anything right? I mean just look at Watch Dogs.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 22, 2014, 23:00 Paranoid Jack

Cutter wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 22:38:
Nothin' lasts forever
And we both know hearts can change
And it's hard to hold a candle
In the cold November rain

LMAO and then LoL!

16. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 22, 2014, 22:38 Cutter

Nothin' lasts forever
And we both know hearts can change
And it's hard to hold a candle
In the cold November rain

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 22, 2014, 21:43 CJ_Parker

Julio wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 18:47:
They need time to remove content from the current build to ensure DLC is ready for day one.

^ this and fuck them

14. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 22, 2014, 21:35 Darks

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 17:57:
More time out of the gate might improve my outlook. But after DA2, I'm still pissed off.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

13. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 22, 2014, 19:45 Slashman

They need time to remove content from the current build to ensure DLC is ready for day one.

Zing!!

12. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 22, 2014, 19:45 anime is great!

Hah! I want to play this game so bad that I'm so good with them delaying endlessly (up to 2 years, no DNF bs) to get it right.

11. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 22, 2014, 18:47 Julio

10. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 22, 2014, 18:43 Flatline

They need the extra few weeks to tighten up that riveting romance dialog they are so famously known for.

Heh. Actually I found the romance between Male Shepherd and Talia in ME2/3 to be pretty good. The whole damsel/in awe of how awesome you are thing felt creepy a little but the actual romance? Especially in ME3? Good stuff.

I think Talia was by far the favorite romance story too in the games if memory serves.

9. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 22, 2014, 18:37 LittleMe

lol yeah with multiple dramatic dialog options.. I like what the Unbended devs said about multiple choice dialogs in their FAQ page:

Actually, those Multiple Choice Dialogue systems tend to slow down the game flow while not offering anything relevant for the game content-wise.

Well said. I don't like how DA:O is so dialog-heavy and force feeds story. Keep the soap operas on TV please.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

8. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 22, 2014, 18:36 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 17:19:
Creston wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 17:17:
Noooooooooooo!!!!!!

... deep breath

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Cry

You vile, evil wretch.

7. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 22, 2014, 18:35 Drayth

There's still Alien: Isolation that day (well... as of right now).  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo