Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week

A new Elite: Dangerous Newsletter is online, with the latest on Frontier Developments' upcoming space combat revival (thanks Ten Ton Hammer). There's a note that they closed the Premium Beta program yesterday, and they are now selling access to the "regular" beta, which is $75.00 (down from $150.00 for the premium version). Word is this new beta phase begins one week from today on July 29th. Here's the rundown of what's up from the newsletter:

In this issue we talk about what we plan to do after the initial launch of Elite: Dangerous. This becomes very relevant for holders of the Lifetime Expansion pack as we give an insight into the features that the pass will be entitle you to.

We also have more GalNet news and look at the many 4k screenshots being posted and we announce the winner of our 4K competition.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 27, 2014, 02:38 Ant

And still no Linux port.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 25, 2014, 11:23 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 14:44:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 14:37:
commonperson wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 11:05:
... the technology behind the game so far is solid enough for an Alpha. ...

The CryEngine might not be robust enough to manage multiplayer space combat as intended. For example:

When you fire your lasers you drain ship energy. This energy drain impacts your engines and speed. This ship speed reduction is not modeled correctly (at all?) in the positional prediction algorithms which keep your local client ship in sync with the remote server ship.

As you can modify your energy usage on the fly, faster than the client-server can accommodate, this results in positional mismatching and all the artifacts that brings to the client.

Can this be fixed? CryTek is having difficulties and is probably in no position to assist any more than they are.

That's an incredibly simple/common problem for multiplayer games. You need to sync objects on every client. The multiplayer programmers will do their job and make it work... If you're going to go crazy about every small bug they're having, it's going to be a long development! But maybe the problem is deeper than you make it seem?

If it's incredibly simple to resolve why didn't they fix that in their alpha? They admitted it wasn't a "normal" alpha because it'd be so hyper-criticised so they went back and delayed the project for months re-writing and "testing" the net code so that all wouldn't be an issue because the crytek netcode sucks.

I finally installed the game since they first launched the hanger. My PC runs well above spec for the game and I saw the same muddy mess that I saw when I first ran the hanger. Only now with physics implemented I get motion sick too (and I rarely get motion sick in a game). I mean, in FPS mode you turn to look at something and your view swims past where you stop then snaps back. It makes me queasy.

28. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 23, 2014, 16:38 Stormsinger

Tim1_2 wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 07:52:
Stormsinger wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 21:57:
It just blows my mind that what used to be an expense for a developer (beta testing to ensure a working product) is now a major revenue stream. Paying $75, not to mention $150, to do their work for them is a mindset I simply cannot fathom.

Most people that buy into the early access thing (alphas and betas) don't really participate actively in testing. They just play the game.

Hopefully developers don't lose their incentive to actually "finish" games after making a pile of money on early access.... DayZ's been a top-seller on Steam since December and is still in the alpha phase. They could literally just stop development on it now and walk away having made a pile of money. Here's hoping that doesn't happen, and doesn't become a trend.

Agreed, I hope it doesn't become more common...however, history suggests that it will, and that exploitable conditions -will- be exploited.

But even more than that, paying 3-5 times the retail price for an unfinished game is just...odd, to say the least. My own experience with early releases have left me -very- skeptical of them...I've only had one that I found playable and fun. Even there, I suspect I've settled for less fun than I'd have had by waiting for a finished and polished game.

27. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 23, 2014, 12:58 SpectralMeat

They go into a little more details regarding the expansions in their latest newsletter.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

26. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 23, 2014, 07:52 Tim1_2

Stormsinger wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 21:57:
It just blows my mind that what used to be an expense for a developer (beta testing to ensure a working product) is now a major revenue stream. Paying $75, not to mention $150, to do their work for them is a mindset I simply cannot fathom.

Most people that buy into the early access thing (alphas and betas) don't really participate actively in testing. They just play the game.

Hopefully developers don't lose their incentive to actually "finish" games after making a pile of money on early access.... DayZ's been a top-seller on Steam since December and is still in the alpha phase. They could literally just stop development on it now and walk away having made a pile of money. Here's hoping that doesn't happen, and doesn't become a trend.

Currently playing: DayZ

25. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 23:16 Cutter

Well, one thing is for certain. You can land on and take off of planets in No Man's Sky.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 21:57 Stormsinger

23. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 16:29 DangerDog

They're pretty vague on what you get with the "Lifetime Expansion" thing, they've shown off extra textures for ships but I don't think that content falls under "expansion".  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2014, 16:06 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 15:56:
Rigs wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 15:29:
Have they said anything about the whole 'landing on planets' thing?

They said it's something they hope to implement "later." I don't think it ever got more precise than that.
It is one of the expansions after release.

Link

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2014, 16:25.

Steam: SpectralMeat

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2014, 15:56 Creston

Rigs wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 15:29:
Have they said anything about the whole 'landing on planets' thing?

They said it's something they hope to implement "later." I don't think it ever got more precise than that.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2014, 15:29 Rigs

Have they said anything about the whole 'landing on planets' thing? As an 'X' fanboy, I've always wanted this, but it's never been in the cards, even with Rebirth, though they got closer. I know Elite 2 and 3 had landing on planets (I still play them occasionally with the DX3D mod so my eyes don't implode) and I'd heard early on that this was going to be something considered for E:D but implemented later on. Have they given any kind of idea or timeframe?

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

19. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 15:22 commonperson

Harrowing wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:58:

I'm not too worried about Star Citizen (at least at this phase) they have had some communication problems but the technology behind the game so far is solid enough for an Alpha.

Where have you been? They overdid it on the physics and it lags everyone in multiplayer. They've been trying to fix it for weeks and still haven't been able to.
The technology behind the game can't carry it where they want them to go. Just wait and see at the other countless problems they're going to have with CryEngine.

As I said, it's fine for an Alpha. Alphas are rough at the best of times, if it moves to Beta in this state then I'll be concerned. It runs reasonably well on my PC but I've got a machine that's more than overspecced for the game. I'm not expecting them to be ready until at least 2016 and that is plenty of time to pull things together. I'm not a Roberts zealot, I'm not saying they wont fail, just at this stage their progress is reasonable enough for what I expect. As for the physics like I said, fine enough for me, not saying it's everyone's cuppa and I totally understand people may not enjoy it that's their right. I'm just holding out on serious criticisim for a while longer.

18. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 15:14 DangerDog

ItBurn wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:45:

I like what I read, but there's NO WAY they can deliver all that in Q4 2014... Not without huge sacrifices... I haven't really been following this project, but I do know how long it takes to make a good game.

It's really just down to how clever they can get with automating the mission/quest scripts into the game. The universe is just a giant spreadsheet of locations and items that you trade. I don't think there's going to be any massive audio recordings to go along with the procedural missions.

The release of the game will just be Elite with better graphics. The landing on planets and walking around your ship stuff will come later.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't hit the 30th anniversary date of Elite for release which is in September. Either way even when they do release it'll be a work in progress for quite some time.

17. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 14:44 ItBurn

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 14:37:

The CryEngine might not be robust enough to manage multiplayer space combat as intended. For example:

When you fire your lasers you drain ship energy. This energy drain impacts your engines and speed. This ship speed reduction is not modeled correctly (at all?) in the positional prediction algorithms which keep your local client ship in sync with the remote server ship.

As you can modify your energy usage on the fly, faster than the client-server can accommodate, this results in positional mismatching and all the artifacts that brings to the client.

Can this be fixed? CryTek is having difficulties and is probably in no position to assist any more than they are.

That's an incredibly simple/common problem for multiplayer games. You need to sync objects on every client. The multiplayer programmers will do their job and make it work... If you're going to go crazy about every small bug they're having, it's going to be a long development! But maybe the problem is deeper than you make it seem?

16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 14:37 Optional Nickname!

15. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 14:31 jdreyer

And as for Elite, looking forward to it, but gonna wait until it's complete.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

14. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 14:31 jdreyer

Harrowing wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:58:

I'm not too worried about Star Citizen (at least at this phase) they have had some communication problems but the technology behind the game so far is solid enough for an Alpha.

Where have you been? They overdid it on the physics and it lags everyone in multiplayer. They've been trying to fix it for weeks and still haven't been able to.
The technology behind the game can't carry it where they want them to go. Just wait and see at the other countless problems they're going to have with CryEngine.

So it gets delayed? So what? I don't really see what the problem here is.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 13:58 Harrowing

12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 13:45 ItBurn

ChomskyGuy wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:35:
Addressing some Elite: Dangerous misconceptions here:

• Elite: Dangerous doesn't play like EVE

• Elite: Dangerous does have goals, missions/quests with injected events and procedural story arcs.

• See more in this FAQ: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_FAQ

Also Elite will have

I like what I read, but there's NO WAY they can deliver all that in Q4 2014... Not without huge sacrifices... I haven't really been following this project, but I do know how long it takes to make a good game.

11. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 13:35 ChomskyGuy

Addressing some Elite: Dangerous misconceptions here:

• Elite: Dangerous doesn't play like EVE

• Elite: Dangerous does have goals, missions/quests with injected events and procedural story arcs.

• See more in this FAQ: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_FAQ

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2014, 03:17.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo