Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Next DOOM Details Next Year

The DOOM showing at QuakeCon was "to show something to [id Software fans] that gives them the confidence that it is still a viable studio that’s doing really cool stuff, that is making a game you want to play, and is treating Doom with the care and respect that you want," Bethesda's Pete Hines tells PC Gamer in explaining why they don't plan on revealing any more about the next installment in the shooter series before next year. He also throws cold water on hopes they will release the video of what was shown to attendees, saying, "I don’t think there's any way that happens." He says they normally would not show the game at this state at all to be "digested, and gone through frame-by-frame and getting nitpicked to death." Now having shown it to a select few, they will go quiet again until 2015. "And now we’re going to go away and go back to making the game," he explains. "But to be able to counter other people talking about us and we’re sort of just sitting here staying silent, or operating from this negative space of like, ‘Oh, it got rebooted, oh it’s in trouble.’ All of that stuff just bothered the hell out of me."

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 21, 2014, 20:23 Zombiegoat213

He says they normally would not show the game at this state at all to be "digested, and gone through frame-by-frame and getting nitpicked to death."

Well, that certainly never happens in threads populated by PC Master Race members, now does it? It certainly isn't happening in this very thread and every single other active one I've seen in regards to the announcement. Gamer nerds have officially gone full retard; they are criticizing the trailer for a video game that they haven't even seen yet! (cue the arguments of "OH YEAH well id hasn't done anything innovative since introducing true 3-D environments, blah blah retch.")

Personally, I am looking forward to this game, if for no other reason than to see what the id Tech 6 engine is capable of. I was already planning on upgrading the rig anyway, so this is simply the price of doing business as a PC gamer. Also, ludicrously violent has never turned me away.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 20, 2014, 17:56 Jerykk

Xero wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 11:22:
Sounds like the game is just going to be overhyped again using the Doom name but what more can it be these days in an oversaturated FPS market? Ok, so the game is going back to it's roots with some additions? Well, sh!t, if a million other Doom clones haven't already come out.
Again, if it didn't have the Doom IP behind it to use all the Doom character/monsters, it wouldn't be any different than all the rest. We've had awesome clones such as Serious Sam and Painkiller that were successful as their own series.
What is sounds like without using the reboot term is just Doom 1 using this new graphic engine. Whoopdidu. Nothing more than a few hours and your done and bored of it.

Are you really complaining about a modern run and gun shooter being released? How many of those do we actually get these days? I'd much rather get that instead of another military shooter.

32. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 20, 2014, 17:41 Jackplug

Doom will be a huge flop that will ave OTT gfx and gore and gameplay which will have most running for the puke bags!!

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2014, 03:14.

31. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 20, 2014, 15:45 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 14:24:
I didn't touch Quake 4.
Quake 4 was a solid, if unspectacular, shooter. Certainly it was better than Doom 3.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

30. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 20, 2014, 14:24 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 07:46:
Beamer wrote on Jul 19, 2014, 19:52:
I despised Doom 4. Despised.

I think you mean Quake 4? Unless it's a coded message to something I'm not deciphering?

No, I mean Doom 3.
I didn't touch Quake 4.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 20, 2014, 11:22 Xero

Sounds like the game is just going to be overhyped again using the Doom name but what more can it be these days in an oversaturated FPS market? Ok, so the game is going back to it's roots with some additions? Well, sh!t, if a million other Doom clones haven't already come out.
Again, if it didn't have the Doom IP behind it to use all the Doom character/monsters, it wouldn't be any different than all the rest. We've had awesome clones such as Serious Sam and Painkiller that were successful as their own series.
What is sounds like without using the reboot term is just Doom 1 using this new graphic engine. Whoopdidu. Nothing more than a few hours and your done and bored of it.

Currently playing: FarCry 4, Max Payne 3, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Heroes of the Storm Alpha, Battlefield 3, Outlast, Red Faction Guerrilla

28. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 20, 2014, 07:46 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jul 19, 2014, 19:52:
I despised Doom 4. Despised.

I think you mean Quake 4? Unless it's a coded message to something I'm not deciphering?

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

27. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 20, 2014, 06:49 Ray Marden

I hate to say it, but I'm certainly intrigued by D4 at the moment. The attendees at QuakeCon tend to act like religious zealots, but a number of the press members that were there also came away with positive impressions of what they saw.

It sounds like it's going back to being a faster-paced game, it's bringing out the classic monsters and weapons, embraces gore and demonic imagery, is giving the player a number of movement/control options, and going back to the older gameplay style (no regenerating health, access to all the weapons, etc.) In a lot of ways, at least initially, this sounds like it could be a sequel to Doom and Doom 2.

We absolutely need to see the video that was shown along with the general gameplay, but other than maintaining the art style from D3, I really like what I've read. I'm hardly a fan of id, but I am certainly intrigued by Doom 4.
Here is to hoping that removing the cancer of Carmack makes a good game.
Still wanting a sequel to the original Quake,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

26. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 20, 2014, 06:00 bigspender

deqer wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 04:47:
He's right for not wanting to show the video because he knows people are dumb. Despite having a "under development" message on the screen (of a video), he knows people are still too dumb to read or recognize/realize what that message means or entails.

Nevertheless, I still wouldn't show a video because first impressions are most important, and despite "under development" message, it's still important to have first impression be the best/accurate one.

Well in that case, don't make a teaser trailer saying "BIG REVEAL AT QUAKECON" to create hype for a trailer which you aren't going to release.

Also, if first impressions are important, then make your trailer good.

25. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 20, 2014, 04:47 deqer

He's right for not wanting to show the video because he knows people are dumb. Despite having a "under development" message on the screen (of a video), he knows people are still too dumb to read or recognize/realize what that message means or entails.

Nevertheless, I still wouldn't show a video because first impressions are most important, and despite "under development" message, it's still important to have first impression be the best/accurate one.

24. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 21:39 John

bigspender wrote on Jul 19, 2014, 20:07:
Wow. Way to disappoint your fans overseas.....
Why just overseas fans? It's disappointing to anyone who didn't go to QCon.

This space is available for rent

23. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 20:07 bigspender

Wow. Way to disappoint your fans overseas.....

Well now I'm going assume the worst.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2014, 20:25.

22. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 19:52 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Jul 19, 2014, 18:08:
I get it. First impressions are important. And QCon is a friendly and forgiving audience. So what you feel like showing to superfans you might not want to release to the general public. The Internet isn't prone to nuanced analysis and opinion. Still I'm curious.

Yup, what they did is very smart and I think very reasonable.

I don't have much faith in the game being fantastic. I didn't play Rage (it's still in shrink wrap for the 360), and I despised Doom 4. Despised.

But I think they way they went about this video is smart, I think that not releasing something so early to the internet makes absolute sense, and I can't deny being marginally more interested in the game after seeing some of the comments people have posted here regarding it. Marginally, but that's better than nothing.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 19:22 shihonage

This announcement makes it clear as day that the "demo" shown was just another Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Now they will haul ass to try and make the actual game resemble the video in some form.

This project, one could say, is doomed.

20. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 19:06 Soulburner

I believe John Carmack, while he was still at id, said the team wishes to return to the first Quake game. I think Wolfenstein: The New Order was received well enough by reviewers and fans, so if Doom 4 also does well, a Quake reboot is very likely. But that's only my opinion - it's likely the id team has no idea what they will be doing next (although I do remember John Carmack saying on twitter that they were working on another, unannounced project simultaneously with Doom 4 - which was obviously halted or cancelled when Doom's development faced problems).

Not showing the Doom 4 video to the world is irritating, but I think I understand Zenimax here. It's just not ready to be shown to the public. It's easier to explain to a few hundred people at QuakeCon that the game is far from being complete (perhaps there were obvious bugs, placeholder items/textures/etc or even simply unfinished elements) and a lot may change than to release the video online where the Internet won't understand it's a pre-pre-pre-alpha-proof-of-concept material and declare the game as shit.

To be honest, the most interesting thing to me regarding Doom 4 (you can call it "just Doom", but it's Doom 4, live with it ;)) is the technology. We know nothing about id Tech 6 - what new features it has (I think the only thing we can be sure of is physically based materials, which is being implemented by all other major graphic engines) and how it compares to id Tech 5. I miss Carmack's keynotes.

19. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 18:54 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 19, 2014, 18:52:
I'm sure they will. Quake 5 MOBA. Almost guaranteed to happen.
Hopefully after Doom tanks and id Software realises that it should licence a third-party engine.

18. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 18:52 CJ_Parker

Fantaz wrote on Jul 19, 2014, 18:24:
please bring back Quake!

I'm sure they will. Quake 5 MOBA. Almost guaranteed to happen.

17. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 18:24 Fantaz

please bring back Quake!  

16. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 18:08 jdreyer

I get it. First impressions are important. And QCon is a friendly and forgiving audience. So what you feel like showing to superfans you might not want to release to the general public. The Internet isn't prone to nuanced analysis and opinion. Still I'm curious.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

15. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 16:55 theyarecomingforyou

Refusing to release the video to the general public really doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, nor does the talk of Mortal Kombat style finishing moves involving glowing body parts and QT events.

After RAGE I don't have any faith that id Software can make a decent engine, especially with Carmack gone. id Tech 5 was incapable of even basic dynamic lighting, which was best observed in the Doom 3 BFG and its lack of shadows (the defining feature of the game). The early concept art for the new Doom game was terrible and it seems like it would require a miracle for id Software to produce a decent graphics engine.

I'm calling it now - this game will be a trainwreck.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo