Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Areal Videos

The Areal Kickstarter page has a couple of videos from West Games to support the fundraising for their survival/horror shooter and to combat doubts about this project's legitimacy. They offer an Anomaly zone prototype trailer, saying this was made in just two weeks, and prominently warning that this does not represent the final quality of the game. There is also a teaser 2 video with the developers discussing the game and a look at some play testing. And since nothing concerning Areal can pass without a touch of controversy, Rock, Paper, Shotgun has screenshots some backers are saying show that the environments in the video come from a off-the-shelf Unity engine asset pack. Here's part of what the developers at West Games say their goals are for the videos:

We know how to make games and are very passionate about Areal. What we've found out though, is that making and launching a Kickstarter is much harder than actually making the game! One of the biggest mistakes that we made was focusing too much on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and not showing footage of Areal itself. This raised a lot of negativity in the community, and many accused us of being a fraud. We just wanted to show people that we were responsible for creating S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. We were completely unprepared for the wave of negativity that surrounded our Kickstarter and honestly, were more than a little discouraged.

But that did not break our will to make Areal, and it did not break our desire to create an awesome game that players around the world will enjoy.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 19:06 Cutter

Sometimes I curse myself for having a moral center and being a decent human being. It would be so easy to get rich by fleecing people.  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 15:54 siapnar

This is pathetic. Looks like a bad UT2003 mod  

I have projectile dysfunction.

14. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 14:05 SimplyMonk

I find this relevant to the current discussion: http://i.imgur.com/GQHeMQ6.gif  

13. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 13:14 Darks

Cutter wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 13:03:
Who's dumb enough to give these grifters dime one at this point? Well, a sucker really is born every minute.

Yes, Con Artist still exist In this world because people are still stupid enough to believe in what they are selling you.

Believe it or not, there are still people on the KS forum defending this game as if its really going to happen and are leaving their pledges in place.

I guess it really does take a rock along side the head to wake some people up.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

12. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 13:13 BitWraith

Cutter wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 13:03:
Who's dumb enough to give these grifters dime one at this point? Well, a sucker really is born every minute.

With this plus that potato salad guy, I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't start a Kickstarter.

11. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 13:03 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 12:45 MajorD

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 12:39:
Yeah. Not going to lie. This is video shows nothing of value really. Even if this isn't the Unity engine or maybe they have their own engine running converted Unity assets... There is nothing show in the teaser to make this look like anything worth contributing too. They most likely would of been better off releasing nothing rather than expose themselves to this scrutiny.

Yeah, that video was obviously quickly thrown together following all the controversy and speculation. And that video is an insult and absolute joke!!!

9. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 12:39 SimplyMonk

Yeah. Not going to lie. This is video shows nothing of value really. Even if this isn't the Unity engine or maybe they have their own engine running converted Unity assets... There is nothing show in the teaser to make this look like anything worth contributing too. They most likely would of been better off releasing nothing rather than expose themselves to this scrutiny.

Plus, $50K? Who needs $50K to finish development of a video game? That gets you a good programmer for maybe 6 months. If you need $50K to finish a video game, that better be the cost you need to print the disks and ship it. Maybe some QA. Not finish whatever these teasers are showing.

8. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 12:02 nin

BitWraith wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 11:52:
Wow - that Forbes link was an interesting read. The rabbit hole goes deep indeed.

It's been an amazing cluster fuck, for sure.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 11:52 BitWraith

Wow - that Forbes link was an interesting read. The rabbit hole goes deep indeed.  

6. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 11:31 BitWraith

Except that they've said all along that they've been in development already, and only need the 50 grand to "finish up". I would expect them to be further along than using Unity assets.  

5. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 11:19 Alamar

I have no interest in this game, but, taken by itself, I don't see why using Unity assets (which are not directly limited to Unity), is a bad thing... Making a 'quick n dirty' prototype is exactly what those assets are for.

-Alamar

4. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 11:08 MajorD

Boo hooo, waahh waaah.....poor us.

Look, look, we have content now, really, look, it's not a scam. That video was great, isn't it? So will you send us your money now?

They'll probably do a pre-alpha release purchase, and I'm sure plenty will jump on it.

3. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 10:45 Darks

Yep, do yourself a favor and stay away from this game. and the game play they supposed do have in place looks like shit.

BTW, they are using assets from Unity. It seems they are using the Autumn Assets you can buy. about 1:17 in the similarities are very striking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SksljyTz8LM

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2014, 11:01.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

2. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 10:09 Verno

Yeah it's a little confusing because they're contradicting earlier statements. The videos are too dark for me to really make much of it either way.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

1. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 09:54 nin

This raised a lot of negativity in the community, and many accused us of being a fraud.

I love the way each post has to touch on the way that they're the real victims here. They just can't let it go...even when it's their own fault.

Also, the controversy here is they originally claimed they had their own engine up and running, yet this video is Unity.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo