Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes

Blizzard took to the Battle.net forums to outline some changes to how two-handed weapons work in Diablo III. Two-handers have been junk since the release of the action/RPG sequel, and they are springing to action to address this:

To summarize the changes:

• The DPS of 2-Handed Melee Weapons has been increased by 23-26% across the board.
  • This applies to the following weapon types:
    • 2-Handed Maces
    • 2-Handed Mighty Weapons
    • 2-Handed Axes
    • 2-Handed Flails
    • 2-Handed Staffs
    • 2-Handed Swords
    • Daibos
    • Polearms
  • In direct response, Heavenly Strength will now reduce damage done by 20%. With both changes, Crusaders using a 2-Hander should see a very small DPS increase.
  • This change is retroactive to existing live items.
  • This change only affects level 70 two-handed melee weapons.
  • This change affects two-handed melee weapons of all rarities.

We are still considering additional changes if needed but this should be a solid step towards making 2-Handers viable again for all classes.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 19, 2014, 17:33 Verno

Krovven wrote on Jul 19, 2014, 11:51:
And for the people that said 2h would be fine at lvl 70 in RoS, when from beta it was already clear they would not

Oh, who said that? I thought outside of release for a brief window that 2Hers have been pretty garbage all along.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2014, 18:01.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 19, 2014, 11:51 Krovven

And for the people that said 2h would be fine at lvl 70 in RoS, when from beta it was already clear they would not; I'll just leave this hear.

I told you so.

25. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 23:27 AngelicPenguin

Darks wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 18:27:

This is the problem wit the Melee classes. they do not do the insane DPS that WD and Mages do.

The only class weaker than "Mages" is Monk. Crusaders are in a much, much better place. I'd be glad if 2.1 and the updated Firebird's set pulled Wizards within striking distance of a Crusader.

24. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 20:13 Task

Have they made it possible to get into the game offline yet on PC? I do have the game, but haven't played it in a long time.  

23. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 19:13 Redmask

Darks wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 18:27:
Sorry Redmask, but either you don't play much D3 or you don't know what your talking about. the Crusader is an okay at best class for DPS. If you want to talk about a class that's insanely OP. lets talk about he WD. My brother plays one and he annihilates everything on the map. he solos T6. One shots Elites like there's no tomorrow. I can't do that with my Crusader and I'm pushing 1.9 Million DPS buffed.

Oh we're being rude? No problem, remember you asked for this. Sorry Darks but you sound like an overreactive battle.net forum baby who bleats about changes before even bothering to try it first. Do you think you're the first person to ever get a Fate of the Fell and play holy shotgun? No one needs you to explain anything to them, you're not an expert on Diablo 3 or something judging by the whining here.

The Crusader is one of the strongest classes right now, yes it is very gear dependent but that's Diablo 3 in a nutshell, the same can be said for every other class. Crusaders suffer more from a lack of a viable secondary class set which is being remedied in 2.1 that also brings a lot more item changes that will greatly affect the class. They also have very attractive party buffs unlike Barbs. So maybe play it for awhile before jumping automatically into whine mode.

Witch Doctors are at the top of the pile but you forget that they spent over a year being total fucking garbage. You want a bad melee class? Play a Monk or Barb, the former only gets parties for EP and the latter gets pity. But that's fine because Monks are going to be fixed and Barbs were the gods of the game for a long time already so they can wait awhile while other classes get tuning, just like Crusaders already received a major balance pass and have to wait. The pendulum always swings the other way and other classes will have their turn, every Blizzard game is balanced this way.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2014, 19:22.

22. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 18:27 Darks

Redmask wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 18:03:
Darks wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 16:03:
So, they increase the weapon damg by 23/26 percent, but Crusaders get jacked off because they nerf Heavenly Strength, okay Blizz that really makes a whole lot of sense. Nothing like getting a dick tease.

Crusaders are insanely strong already with 4+ viable T6 core build and good equipment. Heavenly Strength needs the reduction or it would have just come out of flails instead. No one likes it when their class doesn't get buffed while others do but Crusaders are already top end and desirable in parties.

Sorry Redmask, but either you don't play much D3 or you don't know what your talking about. the Crusader is an okay at best class for DPS. If you want to talk about a class that's insanely OP. lets talk about he WD. My brother plays one and he annihilates everything on the map. he solos T6. One shots Elites like there's no tomorrow. I can't do that with my Crusader and I'm pushing 1.9 Million DPS buffed.

This is the problem wit the Melee classes. they do not do the insane DPS that WD and Mages do. my brothers WD is doing crits of a Billion.

And BTW, look at my profile they only way I'm capable of doing that kind of DPS is because of the weapon I'm using. without that weapon, my DPS sucks. The Fate Flails is a very rare drop and it changes the skill you use to make it a shotgun type blast in from of you allowing you to do that type of DPS.

This build can get you into trouble to if you are not geared properly because you run out of Wrath very quickly. which also requires you to have the Akkaan set or this build is no good.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2014, 18:32.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

21. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 18:03 Redmask

So, they increase the weapon damg by 23/26 percent, but Crusaders get jacked off because they nerf Heavenly Strength, okay Blizz that really makes a whole lot of sense. Nothing like getting a dick tease.

Crusaders are insanely strong already with 4+ viable T6 core build and good equipment. Heavenly Strength needs the reduction or it would have just come out of flails instead. No one likes it when their class doesn't get buffed while others do but Crusaders are already top end and desirable in parties.

20. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 17:41 Darks

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 16:41:
Darks wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 16:23:
Well, I play one. and from what I can tell the Crusader because of the change to Heavenly Strength has been turned down. we are not getting the full 23 percent dps increase as the others are. the problem Blizz keeps over looking and what everyone is bitching about is Barbs having the ability to dual wield getting a max of 8 stats because of the two weapons. many are saying that 2HD weapons should get either more stats added, or give us a second socket to try and off set the dps loss we are loosing.

here's my char.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/dark-1182/hero/43548956

So Blizzard said they are across the board buffing 2 handed weapons by 23-26%, but this does not apply to Crusader weapons? It has flail right there in the list (?)

Yes, they are but the problem is they are changing Heavenly Strength. They nerfed it. so now we will only get a slight increase. Its like a big slap in the face. First they fix the problem but then take it back from you by changing the other part that makes using 2HD weapon viable. Totally Blizzard and how they like to fuck with the users.

19. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 16:41 AngelicPenguin

Darks wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 16:23:
Well, I play one. and from what I can tell the Crusader because of the change to Heavenly Strength has been turned down. we are not getting the full 23 percent dps increase as the others are. the problem Blizz keeps over looking and what everyone is bitching about is Barbs having the ability to dual wield getting a max of 8 stats because of the two weapons. many are saying that 2HD weapons should get either more stats added, or give us a second socket to try and off set the dps loss we are loosing.

here's my char.

So Blizzard said they are across the board buffing 2 handed weapons by 23-26%, but this does not apply to Crusader weapons? It has flail right there in the list (?)

18. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 16:23 Darks

here's my char.

17. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 16:19 AngelicPenguin

I don't play Crusader, but the patch notes says it will be a slight dps boost since the two hander damage is boosted. They actually went into a lot of detail as to why they did it that way, but I'm not seeing the nerf.

16. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 16:03 Darks

15. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 15:30 Icewind

I'm shocked it took them this long to fix a fundamental flaw with one of the most basic and crucial weapon types. I mean, good for them they finally got around to it, but to think an entire class of weaponry, a rather popular and base one, was broken to a major extent? If this was Late 90s Blizzard they would have been on this pronto.

Of course, then the server would be laggy as ****.

14. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 15:24 AngelicPenguin

PHJF wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 13:39:
Ramalandi's gift should help that, but the real issue is 1 weapon socket vs 2 weapon sockets.

Except half of classes cannot use two weapons; it's one weapon socket versus one weapon socket and one (far worse) utility socket. Adding a second weapon socket would just push the balance too far away from one handers for wizard, witch, and sader. The PROBLEM is in having a SINGLE gem mandatory for all weapons and the persistent over-usefulness of %Crit/%CritDmg.

The game is fun, sure, but patches like the upcoming 2.1 highlight how unarguably flawed the game was and continues to be at a fundamental design level.

By utility socket, are you referring to crit chance on the offhands?
With perfect crit rolls everywhere, 10% crit chance is close to 130% crit damage, so they are pretty even. On a wizard, typically crit chance will be worth more simply because of APOC (well if spender builds finally become competitive.)

13. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 13:39 PHJF

Ramalandi's gift should help that, but the real issue is 1 weapon socket vs 2 weapon sockets.

Except half of classes cannot use two weapons; it's one weapon socket versus one weapon socket and one (far worse) utility socket. Adding a second weapon socket would just push the balance too far away from one handers for wizard, witch, and sader. The PROBLEM is in having a SINGLE gem mandatory for all weapons and the persistent over-usefulness of %Crit/%CritDmg.

The game is fun, sure, but patches like the upcoming 2.1 highlight how unarguably flawed the game was and continues to be at a fundamental design level.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 12:47 Wallshadows

Jivaro wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 11:54:
I am not a min/max player and I have not played for a month or 2....but can someone explain the logic behind only making these changes for level 70 weapons and not for all levels?

Likely due to the short amount of time it takes to get to level 70 and being able to have access to gems and up to 30 levels of item reduction on items to make it that much quicker providing you have either a friend or an alt at 70.

It's really amazing what a level 70 item can do at level 40 or simply jamming an Imperial Ruby in to any weapon at any level with a socket.

Either way, I'm waiting on the 2.1 patch to drop and I'll be all over that ladder!

11. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 12:36 AngelicPenguin

Keilun wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 11:59:
It's not so much of a 4 vs 8 affix issue as it is an overvaluation of weapon sockets. A weapon socket is so valuable that any weapon without a socket is essentially garbage, that's why everyone rerolls a stat into a socket as is. Ramalandi's gift should help that, but the real issue is 1 weapon socket vs 2 weapon sockets.

I don't get why they don't just allow us to roll 2 sockets on a 2H and be done with it.

I haven't looked closely at legendary gems that much but I can only imagine this only exacerbates the issue.

I think they will be doing that pretty soon as no dual wielder would give up 130% CD. My understanding of legendary gems, though, is that you can only equip 3 - one for each jewelry slot.

10. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 12:24 Verno

Theo wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 12:02:
I cant remember if i am right about the facts, but my impression about 2h vrs 1h was mostly a gem issue with a little stat swing

PS not saying this stuff isnt welcome, or needed, just calling out the standard 4 v 8 stat budget argument.

Yeah you could be right dude, I don't know its been awhile since I played. I might load up PTR sometime and check it out but right now the Destiny beta is too darned fun.

I haven't looked closely at legendary gems

I only took a brief look at a loot table link but like Skill said it seemed that all of the legendary gems on PTR were jewelry only.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

9. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 12:07 MoreLuckThanSkill

Keilun wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 11:59:
It's not so much of a 4 vs 8 affix issue as it is an overvaluation of weapon sockets. A weapon socket is so valuable that any weapon without a socket is essentially garbage, that's why everyone rerolls a stat into a socket as is. Ramalandi's gift should help that, but the real issue is 1 weapon socket vs 2 weapon sockets.

I don't get why they don't just allow us to roll 2 sockets on a 2H and be done with it.

I haven't looked closely at legendary gems that much but I can only imagine this only exacerbates the issue.

Exactly, sometimes it seems like Blizzard doesn't even play their own game. Put 2 sockets in 2handers, and there is no issue.

Legendary gems, currently, can only be put into rings and amulets, so there shouldn't be any 1h/2h issues for legendary gems.

I'll probably play a bit more after patch 2.1, just to try it, but all my game time has been Divinity:OS, BF4, and Tower Wars. Clockwork gatling cannon? Yes.

8. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 12:02 Theo

Verno wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 10:15:
Yeah exactly. 2H has what, 4 mainstats? Dual wield gives you a potential 8 to use. 2H will need pretty significant legendary bonuses to make up that differential. It's a start but yeah, probably going to need additional tuning. I got pretty bored of the game awhile ago and kinda tuned out though so no clue what the 2H on PTR are like.

Wasn't the stat budget on a 2 harder already larger? (meaning you might have 8 with 2x one handers but you'd need 2 to make up the potential roll off a 2 hander?)

admittedly this doesn't work well with leg procs'

I cant remember if i am right about the facts, but my impression about 2h vrs 1h was mostly a gem issue with a little stat swing

PS not saying this stuff isnt welcome, or needed, just calling out the standard 4 v 8 stat budget argument.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo