Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam

Steam News announces that The Elder Scrolls Online is now available through Steam, and that Bethesda's MMORPG is currently on sale for 50% off to celebrate the news. Here's the description that accompanies the announcement:

he Elder Scrolls Online is the latest chapter of the award-winning franchise – and will bring the legendary experience online for the first time. Whether you play with your friends or adventure alone, the game’s innovative combat system allows you to focus on action and tactics, not the UI. Use any weapon or armor at any time and customize your abilities to play the way you want as you uncover the mysteries of Tamriel and seek heroic quests on your own terms. Explore the far reaches of Skyrim, the mysterious lands of Morrowind, the sprawling metropolis of Daggerfall and beyond. The choices you make, from the alliance you join to the battles you fight, will shape your destiny and the world of Tamriel.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 19, 2014, 06:07 xXBatmanXx

I got bored after a month and a half...hope to get back soon, but areas are getting pretty hard solo, and it is hard to get a group together. Without doing the 4 player dungeons, you miss out on the better gear.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 18, 2014, 10:54 Slashman

Quinn wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 09:14:
I wonder how it could've been that this panel of designers didn't realize anywhere in the development process that in order to have a succesful MMO, there has to be a good & fun reason for players to band together. Ironically, because ESO had such terrific quests and NPC's/voice-acting... teaming with other players only distracted you from the good stuff.

This is the situation with pretty much every MMO as dictated by the very nature of MMOs. An MMO that works well as a single player game will suffer when it comes to the multiplayer aspect because the experiences are fundamentally opposed.

Teaming up in an MMO is about doing things together you either can't handle alone, or it makes much less sense to pursue alone. Narrative and immersive story don't fit well in there(especially things like quests with multiple paths and moral choices), because it's a bunch of different people. Now if you have a single goal that simply requires multiple players with different talents and abilities, it works much better. The problem then becomes that the story and narrative are going to suffer because it won't become as personal an experience for each player.

MMOs cannot work like single player games and be truly good and the same is the true for the reverse.

36. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 18, 2014, 09:18 Sempai

Tim Collins wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 07:35:
DAOC has been around for 10 years and is still running and is better then this.

No.

35. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 18, 2014, 09:14 Quinn

Loved playing it. Looking back at it I have fond memories. Sadly, every good non-MMO game is always better... and while I was absolutely loving ESO, it got quickly forgotten with the new singleplayer releases (Watch Dogs, Divinity, Sniper Elite 3, Wolfenstein, etc).

In retrospect, as an MMO the game has failed too hard. I wonder how it could've been that this panel of designers didn't realize anywhere in the development process that in order to have a succesful MMO, there has to be a good & fun reason for players to band together. Ironically, because ESO had such terrific quests and NPC's/voice-acting... teaming with other players only distracted you from the good stuff.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

34. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 18, 2014, 08:48 Slashman

yonder wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 07:38:
PropheT wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 20:00:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 19:41:
With an MMO, you go in with your friends, and if it doesn't work out then you've all lost a lot of money and hundreds of hours.

I have a hard time calling any game I get hundreds of hours out of a bad deal. Hell, if I got hundreds of hours out of it that's already a better deal than 90% of the games I buy.

Depends on if you have fun. You could grind a crappy FF game for 50 hours and really only have four hours of fun.

But I'm assuming that you're referring to hours of fun, not just hours of gameplay.

Some people shoehorn fun into their memories of the most annoyingly grindy and pointless games. This is especially true of MMOs.

The number of hours you spent in a game don't mean anything if you compare that game to every other game. A short 2d platformer is not going to give you 400 hours of gameplay. That has nothing to do with its relative worth if you had a blast playing it.

If we're now at the point where any MMO will do as long as it's an MMO and not the most horrible thing ever, then maybe a step back and some perspective is needed.

Is the game being enjoyed? Or is it some sad sense of nostalgia and need that is feeding that perception

33. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 18, 2014, 07:38 yonder

With an MMO, you go in with your friends, and if it doesn't work out then you've all lost a lot of money and hundreds of hours.

I have a hard time calling any game I get hundreds of hours out of a bad deal. Hell, if I got hundreds of hours out of it that's already a better deal than 90% of the games I buy.

Depends on if you have fun. You could grind a crappy FF game for 50 hours and really only have four hours of fun.

But I'm assuming that you're referring to hours of fun, not just hours of gameplay.

32. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 18, 2014, 07:35 Tim Collins

DAOC has been around for 10 years and is still running and is better then this.  

31. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 18, 2014, 05:22 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 19:58:
6-12 months, and right most of the time. Christ, I remember how many people jumped down my throat when I called it on SWTOR. Well I got the last laugh on that one.

Yeah yeah, you were also claiming Vanguard and D&D Online were going to be the best things since sliced bread, so your MMO nostradamus skills aren't all that great

30. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 18, 2014, 03:46 Armengar

Indeed, sometimes I look at steam and think, wow ive only played that game for 60 hours? and ive thought it was fantastic. Then I look at how much time ive wasted in other games such as TF2 (842 hours), Natural Selection 2 (409 hours), Global Agenda (326 hours). Ironically these are some of the few games I bought (yes, even GA before free to play!) at launch (I don't do that very often).

Suffice to say, I wont be bothering with this (even after F2P tbh).

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

29. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 17, 2014, 23:34 Acleacius

crypto wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 22:56:
Actually, the price of a movie ticket in the 1950s was about $.50... but either way, thinking like that will just nickle & dime yourself to death real fast.
Probably true, for adult tickets. I seem to recall, still getting it as a minor and matinee prices in the early 70s.

Actually, if I'm paying $.50 a day to play one mmog, I don't follow the whole nickel and diming myself.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

28. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 17, 2014, 22:56 crypto

Acleacius wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 20:22:
Movies are a poor comparison to MMOs. You can take a chance on a movie, and if it doesn't work out, you've only lost a couple of hours. With an MMO, you go in with your friends, and if it doesn't work out then you've all lost a lot of money and hundreds of hours. It's more important in the case of an MMO to make a deliberate and considered choice.

Obviously everyone would have preferred a different pay structure but as we all know $15 bucks US, a month is still $.50 a day. The price of a movie back in the 1970s.

Hey did anyone figure out how to register our game codes on Steam, yet?

Actually, the price of a movie ticket in the 1950s was about $.50... but either way, thinking like that will just nickle & dime yourself to death real fast.

27. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 17, 2014, 22:12 LittleMe

It does the lore, story and voice acting very well. It's not a condescending or cliche' story for thirteen year old console players, imo. It does innovate in the sense that in tries to meld a single player game into an MMO and it marginally succeeds in that. That's an accomplishment.

But the crippled UI is absolutely designed around a gamepad, except perhaps the traditional grid inventory. The single player gameplay is repetitive. The world is graphically quite nice, especially interiors but feels too planned and predictable. I now hate height-map open-ish worlds. What I mean is that the terrain doesn't feel real but it's just a big stretched rubber mat onto which everything is placed (most here know what one is but..).

The combat can be interesting, if limited in skill abilities. The combat is more fun than I thought it would be.

One grip I have is with almost all RPG's in that the campaign story is selfless service with unconnected rewards dangled at the end: Carrot and stick. I'd prefer a more realistic approach where the player would more things to do for his own selfish interest such as a quest for a new skill to learn from an NPC or for finding specific armor or whatever. Skills and abilities should have story attached to them so there is connection to the story every time they are used in or out of combat. I really don't like the 'click here to magically unlock cool ability' way of skilling up.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

26. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 17, 2014, 22:03 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 19:58:
6-12 months, and right most of the time. Christ, I remember how many people jumped down my throat when I called it on SWTOR.

I'm pretty sure everyone was saying that about TOR, its development was a train wreck. They spent something like 250mil on it, insane. These days you can pretty much say it about any MMO, its just the way the business model has gone. Unless your name is Blizzard or you carve out a niche then subs have to be optional before too long otherwise you lose your base to the next game.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

25. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 17, 2014, 21:44 HorrorScope

It's a bad game that could have been even worse. For every bug in the game and questionable design choice, it could have had more bugs and even more questionable design choices.  

24. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 17, 2014, 21:41 jomisab

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 19:44:
Not even if the subscription was 50% off would I touch this epic turd of a game.

Basically done with MMO's. Each new one is just a re-heated version of the same leftovers. No innovation. No imagination. Go to X and kill Y of Z....devolving into a never-ending arms race. Same formula. Nothing to show for it but all the wasted time that could have been spent on much more worthy pursuits. How many will look back on their lives and say: "You know, if only I spent more time playing MMOs..."?

23. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 17, 2014, 20:22 Acleacius

Movies are a poor comparison to MMOs. You can take a chance on a movie, and if it doesn't work out, you've only lost a couple of hours. With an MMO, you go in with your friends, and if it doesn't work out then you've all lost a lot of money and hundreds of hours. It's more important in the case of an MMO to make a deliberate and considered choice.

Obviously everyone would have preferred a different pay structure but as we all know $15 bucks US, a month is still $.50 a day. The price of a movie back in the 1970s.

Hey did anyone figure out how to register our game codes on Steam, yet?

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

22. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 17, 2014, 20:20 Squirmer

Charging a subscription for this game was always a stupid idea. The whole industry has been moving away from that model for years, so this was so backwards. I assume the higher ups are still in love with the idea of matching WoW's revenue and haven't realized the situation has changed since 2003.  

21. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 17, 2014, 20:00 PropheT

20. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 17, 2014, 19:58 Cutter

Ceribaen wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 19:45:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 19:37:
Omni wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 17:26:
Surprised it's not F2P yet.

They are milking the last subs a bit more, just wait another 5-6 month.

Last year some of us were guessing when this would go F2P. I think I said after a year. I think Cutter said after 6 months, but I don't recall.

Pretty sure Cutter says 6 months for every new MMO with a subscription

6-12 months, and right most of the time. Christ, I remember how many people jumped down my throat when I called it on SWTOR. Well I got the last laugh on that one. Go look at recent - like within the past month - reviews on this game from players. They're panning it hard. It actually sounds like it's worse now then when it launched. And the reason I say 6 months is because that's when the majority of subs come up - not including the free month - and all of a sudden the devs realize they're up shit creek without a paddle and need to get new blood in because no one is renewing and they're all leaving.

With Bethsoft backing this, they may hold out a little longer but in the end it will happen sooner rather than later, do not doubt.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

19. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 17, 2014, 19:56 Silicon Avatar

I like it. I play with friends. I have 5 level 30 characters.

I've learned more about the TES races playing ESO than I ever did playing the regular games.

They did a pretty good job with lore if you read all the books and stuff.

There are some things that could be done better though.

I'd still be kind of surprised to see it go F2P anytime soon.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo