Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 4 Survey

BioWare's Michael Gamble rolls the dice on a tweet soliciting opinions on what gamers want from Mass Effect 4 through this survey about the RPG sequel. The brief questionnaire asks about other games you play, expectations for a new Mass Effect game, RPG tastes, plans to attend gaming conventions, and whether you engage in deviant behavior like cosplay or games journalism. Thanks Eurogamer.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 16, 2014, 04:17 Quinn

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 03:48:
Quinn wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 03:33:
... soliciting opinions on what gamers want from Mass Effect 4 ...

This is what sickens me these days. This open-book thing. What happened ot their so called "artistic integrity"? Hypocrites. They don't realize they're not asking all gamers -- they're asking the opinion of the small % of gamers who waste their time being obsessive enough to respond to this inquiry.

You can see it in TV series too. The 3% of obsessed loudmouths on the internet ruin it for the entire fanbase these days, because writers are forced by the panel of unseen judges to listen to these morons. It's why Hannah Mckay ("She so sexy! We loves her!") ruined Dexter and the Eric("He so sexy! We loves him!")-Sookie-Bill love triangle ruined TrueBlood, and so on. And so on. And so on.

You also saw it happen in Mass Effect. "We loves companionz so much we care not for story just companionz COMPANINNOSSNZNNZ!!". It's why since ME2 companions aren't just an awesome extra participating to the story in sublevel fashion, but the entire story actually revolves AROUND the fuckers! It's why we got this weird concept in ME2 where you had to collect a series of psychopaths to save the universe from one of its biggest threads. Not an army, no... a handful of weirdos.

Fuck me. Had to get this off my chest, I guess...

But that's why I liked Mass Effect.. it was about companions, without that, the game would have been mediocre at best (ok, I guess the setting didn't fit it.. but so what ,p)

Sadly, for me it was the opposite. I hated the idea. It also was so lineair! Every recruitment was a little chapter/story of its own, completely remote of the main story, and you knew exactly where you were in the main story because of this list you were working down -- you nearly had all the recruits? You were nearly at the climax.

I know it's all subjective, this. But what is moreso objective is the observation that this new *thing* is going on that actually does destroy artistic integrity (how EA/Bioware destroyed that term!) -- the thing where devs ask what we want; where we want a story to go, and not just take those opinions and put it somewhere, but actually make it happen. -_-

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 16, 2014, 03:48 eRe4s3r

Quinn wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 03:33:

This is what sickens me these days. This open-book thing. What happened ot their so called "artistic integrity"? Hypocrites. They don't realize they're not asking all gamers -- they're asking the opinion of the small % of gamers who waste their time being obsessive enough to respond to this inquiry.

You can see it in TV series too. The 3% of obsessed loudmouths on the internet ruin it for the entire fanbase these days, because writers are forced by the panel of unseen judges to listen to these morons. It's why Hannah Mckay ("She so sexy! We loves her!") ruined Dexter and the Eric("He so sexy! We loves him!")-Sookie-Bill love triangle ruined TrueBlood, and so on. And so on. And so on.

You also saw it happen in Mass Effect. "We loves companionz so much we care not for story just companionz COMPANINNOSSNZNNZ!!". It's why since ME2 companions aren't just an awesome extra participating to the story in sublevel fashion, but the entire story actually revolves AROUND the fuckers! It's why we got this weird concept in ME2 where you had to collect a series of psychopaths to save the universe from one of its biggest threads. Not an army, no... a handful of weirdos.

But that's why I liked Mass Effect.. it was about companions, without that, the game would have been mediocre at best (ok, I guess the setting didn't fit it.. but so what ,p)

25. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 16, 2014, 03:33 Quinn

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2014, 03:43.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

24. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 22:07 eRe4s3r

walrus1 wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 13:56:
Unless they make it a WoW GTA AC clone.

Which would still be better than any of these games by themselves. A GTA AC ME clone would be pretty damn cool too...

But did you ever notice that AAA developers don't try new stuff anymore? It's all just rehashes.

23. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 22:04 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 16:36:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 09:56:
Meh sorry, but there are 0 epic sci-fi RPG's in the making. FUCKING ZERO.. so bring ME4 on and for all I care they could clone ME1 to ME3 again just with different characters and level, just make it HAPPEN.

I am so utterly starved for a good sci-fi RPG. And whatever, shooter too. There isn't even a good sci-fi shooter out right now. That's how broken the gaming industry is.

Didja play Shadowrun Berlin Campaign? It's pretty sweet.

Ah yeah, I was backer there... but that is ancient history

22. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 20:21 Ludomancer

...soliciting opinions on what gamers want from Mass Effect 4

I don't. Learn to make a game in beautiful, self-contained universe and narrative, and then move on.

Capitalism has retarded this artform enough.

21. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 19:05 Rhett

More varied co-op with tons of free/optional DLC! They scored so highly with that MP mode, having so much free DLC. I feel like they're going to try to bend us over on the next one, though.

I still never beat ME3... I just don't like the combat in single player.

20. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 16:36 Cutter

Meh sorry, but there are 0 epic sci-fi RPG's in the making. FUCKING ZERO.. so bring ME4 on and for all I care they could clone ME1 to ME3 again just with different characters and level, just make it HAPPEN.

I am so utterly starved for a good sci-fi RPG. And whatever, shooter too. There isn't even a good sci-fi shooter out right now. That's how broken the gaming industry is.

Didja play Shadowrun Berlin Campaign? It's pretty sweet.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 16:21 NegaDeath

I'm down for more Mass Effect, as long as it's more ambitious like the first one was. The followups were tighter but only because they gutted entire game mechanics instead of improving them. The Mako handled like a Rhino on ice skates but when they switched from exploring alien worlds to a scanning minigame the series lost something imo.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2014, 16:28.

18. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 15:47 nin

Aero wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 15:45:
I'd like to see more done with the IP though. There is still plenty to work with after the events of ME3.

After seeing how The Old Republic turned out (and how now it's technically retconned out of existence now), they would have had better luck with a ME mmo...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 15:45 Numinar

The ending in ME3 was as disappointing as what it ripped off, the end of the Foundation series by Asimov.

I like how Halo did it, unoriginal maybe but at least some of that literature made it into the game instead of dudebro space marine vs space nazis or whatever the current template is.

So, what I want... hmmm... the narrative from Star Control 2 interpreted by Mass Effect. Dozens of homeworlds, mildly branching storyline with the freedom to approach out of order in most cases and not at all in others, a crew of hundreds in an up-gradable ship.

Will have to rewrite it so Shepard does all the diplomacy face to face/at space shotgun point instead of with videoscreens and 2d space combat though.

Would be awesome. Alien design and sex with blue alien lady sequence was way better than the daytime soap action Shepard gets up to as well.

16. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 15:45 Aero

I'd be cool with more of the same refined, but with plots contained within individual games: something that is wrapped up at the end of the game without shoehorned cross-game alternate paths. They have a good universe, good core gameplay, and good writing, but that was stretched too thin across ME2 and ME3. That one gimmick, which was a cool idea, didn't pan out in practice.

I'd like to see more done with the IP though. There is still plenty to work with after the events of ME3.

15. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 15:26 nin

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 15:24:
Still waiting for ME3 on Steam.

Heh. It's right next to the Mass Effect collection, that includes all DLC...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 15:24 Silicon Avatar

Still waiting for ME3 on Steam.  

13. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 13:56 walrus1

Flatline wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 13:15:
Lorcin wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 12:29:
How about you wake up at the start off mass effect 4 and realize mass effect 3 was all just a bad dream. Go Dallas on it's arse!

ME3 was *fine* until the end-o-tron 3000. Yes, the war effort thing sucked. But the writing was anywhere from good to fantastic right up until the end.

This is was a fantastic game until you were forced to select one of three endings that made moot all your actions across all three games. Just don't repeat this and ME4 should be a fantastic game. Unless they make it a WoW GTA AC clone.

12. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 13:15 Flatline

Lorcin wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 12:29:
How about you wake up at the start off mass effect 4 and realize mass effect 3 was all just a bad dream. Go Dallas on it's arse!

ME3 was *fine* until the end-o-tron 3000. Yes, the war effort thing sucked. But the writing was anywhere from good to fantastic right up until the end.

11. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 12:29 Lorcin

10. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 12:04 JoeNapalm

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 09:14:
Do the questions provide colour coded responses?

Blue! I need an emoticon for "slow clap"!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

9. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 10:55 Tumbler

Cyberpunk 2077!

Star Citizen - There was probably a stretch goal in the past that will be adding a full sp campaign ala mass effect along side the FPS and space sim elements. (jk)

Destiny? Not the same but hopefully the success of this game will make more people want to try sci fi settings.

I'm with you on wanting more sci fi rpg's though, but let's shoot for something a little better than ME4. Just because we're starving doesn't mean we should hope for mcdonalds. Let's shoot for In & Out.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

8. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 10:55 Quinn

It's like they have absolutely no idea what they're doing or want to do with the next title yet. We've had multiple different, completely contradicting statements from the devs ("We're halfway!" / "We haven't decided where to go with the story yet!" .. wtf?) and there's no footage to speak of.

So far I have zero hope or anticipation for this game. Then again, I'm not sure I want to play a new ME game from these devs. I played the earlier games desperate to make peace with the Geth. In part 3 I finally did, only to obliberate them in the end because of the lesser evil choice. Blegh, screw this franchise. Just remembering the ending fuck-up pisses me off.

PS: Still waiting for a good and proper anno 2014 RPG. Kinda like Alpha Protocol, just more awesome.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo