Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen at $48 Million

There's a 10 for the Chairman Episode on the Roberts Space Industries with more on Star Citizen, RSI's upcoming space combat game. This comes as the counter on the main page rolls over, showing the game has now passed the $48 million dollar mark in crowd-sourced funding. There's a new Letter from the Chairman commemorating that occasion and the new stretch goal it triggers of a new Retaliator commercial. He also outlines their return to their "tradition of stretch goals that improve the core game" risking the possibility of an infinity development cycle if they keep collecting money:

As we promised last time, we’re going to return to our tradition of stretch goals that improve the core game. The ongoing funding keeps the project running on the scale it is today… but we’re also eager to find ways to improve what we’ve already planned. We’ve come up with one for the $50 million goal that we think will truly improve the immersion, and help make Star Citizen a living, breathing world:

• Alien Languages – Do you speak Banu? We will work with real-world linguists to create distinctive and realistic alien languages for Star Citizen’s three biggest alien races, the Vanduul, the Xi’An and the Banu. No universal translators, no garbled animal noises: Star Citizen’s aliens will be speaking their own authentic languages!

I’m excited about this one… and looking forward to meeting the first fan who learns to speak one of our languages! As always, thank you for your support. Star Citizen would not exist without our backers. Keep spreading the word!

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 16, 2014, 00:25 Harrowing

Dacron wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 17:19:

All you mentioned were bugs and unfinished features, which as explained are par for the course of a pre-alpha build.

Connectivity issues? You start that as your gripe in pre-alpha ?

Ready engine, 47 million dollars, more than a year in development?... fuck yes it's a gripe.

You can take the fanboy route and suck the "it's pre pre pre alpha" caramel.
I'r rather be critical in case they actually clean up their act.
They probably won't though... they want to sell as many ships as they can so they're going to take a loooong time to release the game.

Developing AC and then having to develop it all over again for double precision? My fucking dog could plan that better.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 17:19 Dacron

Harrowing wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 15:59:

Not just the bugs, it's how they are developing the game.
You can't join a multiplayer game and when you do you get kicked after a few seconds. There's a few players who can sometimes complete a round but that's plagued with rubber banding. It's practically unplayble. Not even the devs know what the problem is... they don't even know why some people can play and the vast majority can't. If they do know they aren't saying... most transparent development ever my arse.... anyway, I'll continue. RIDICULOUS choices for their flight model... they literally made a 6DOF model and split it into two modes.
You can't even change the key bindings... have you any idea how simple it is to include this in your game using CryEngine?
Best damn Space sim ever and you don't support HOTAS (yeah you can edit xml files to make it work, you shouldn't need that, not even for alpha)... this is 2014 btw. I could go on but I'm tired.

All you mentioned were bugs and unfinished features, which as explained are par for the course of a pre-alpha build.

Connectivity issues? You start that as your gripe in pre-alpha ?

31. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 15:59 Harrowing

Comet wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 13:30:
I have played AC. Both Vanduul Swarm and the MP modes.
Could you please elaborate on the "horrible piece of software"?
You mean horrible as in it's filled with bugs? Yes. It's pre-alpha.

Not just the bugs, it's how they are developing the game.
You can't join a multiplayer game and when you do you get kicked after a few seconds. There's a few players who can sometimes complete a round but that's plagued with rubber banding. It's practically unplayble. Not even the devs know what the problem is... they don't even know why some people can play and the vast majority can't. If they do know they aren't saying... most transparent development ever my arse.... anyway, I'll continue. RIDICULOUS choices for their flight model... they literally made a 6DOF model and split it into two modes.
You can't even change the key bindings... have you any idea how simple it is to include this in your game using CryEngine?
Best damn Space sim ever and you don't support HOTAS (yeah you can edit xml files to make it work, you shouldn't need that, not even for alpha)... this is 2014 btw. I could go on but I'm tired.

Oh and btw, everything you're playing will have to change once they go double precision. They literally developed the module and then decided to change something so fundamental they'll have to shift everything over.

Compared to numerous other gaming projects they are fucking amateurs. Apart from their marketing department.. those guys are the best.

But other than that...Best ship damage model I've seen in any space sim. (name me one game with better ship damage model).

Yes the damage model is very detailed. Too bad it's fucking useless with the current ships. You can't practically aim for certain parts of the ship to cripple it in a way that the damage model allows you to. You aim for the body and "randomly" damage whatever your shots hit, it has no practical use, it's only interesting for a slight variety but it does get old very fast. It will be better with larger ships where you can actually aim for the smaller parts.
ED has a more simplistic method of actually targeting subsystems and applying damage to that. It's simpler but more effective and actually practical.

Deep flight model that you can tweak to your liking.

Some audacity calling it tweakable when you can't even change your bindings. When they fix it and they MAKE it a deep flight model then you can come here and tell me about it. It's currently an FPS game in space and a hell of lot more like an arcade game than a space sim. Hell you can even play it in third person *facepalm*

Best looking environments and sound in any space sim to date. (name one game that look better)

Looks are subjective, personally I think Elite: Dangerous is the best looking space sim I've ever seen. http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2014/07/elite-dangerous-3-610x342.png

Also, again, you have some audacity saying that AC has good sound. Pew pew lazers?
Elite has the best sound I've ever heard in a space sim (probably game ever)... it's part of the reason I bought Premium Beta, I could not get enough of the awesome sound engineering from watching videos.

As for MMOs. Please name a AAA space simm MMO that allows realtime combat similar to Star Citizen.
That allows ship boarding. That merges FPS + space sim aspects.

There currently isn't one. SC doesn't offer it either, they will if they ever implement it.
Let's just wait until it does to claim that it does shall we?

People seems to forget that before the Star Citizen campaign....SPACE SIMS WERE DEAD. No one invested on AAA space sims and that resulted in some uninteresting games.

Elite: Dangerous had nothing to do with the Star Citizen campaign. It also currently offers a hell of a lot more than what SC offers.

As for upcoming games such as No Man's Sky and Elite Dangerous.
I have pledged for Elite Dangerous. I've been playing it since the first alpha was released. I love it.

I find this hard to believe that you've actually played Elite and you think AC has better sound.
Can you please explain to me how AC has better sound than Elite?

Can you name ONE successful space sim MMO? (Eve Online is a strategy MMO so that doesn't count).

No I can't, there hasn't been one.
If SC is successful then it'll be the first.
We still have a lot of years to wait to see if it will.

30. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 13:30 Comet

Harrowing wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 05:58:
Comet wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 03:52:

With that said everything that has been shown and released to the public seems to indicate that the game may end up being one of the best space Sims ever created.

So I take you haven't played AC right?
It's a absolute horrible piece of software if you take into consideration what they've promised.
Even for an alpha.

And a groundbreaking MMO since few MMOs provide realtime combat at this level

How is it ground breaking if other MMOs already offer what SC will offer?
There's already games that offer combat with a lot more players than SC will ever manage as well.

I have played AC. Both Vanduul Swarm and the MP modes.
Could you please elaborate on the "horrible piece of software"?
You mean horrible as in it's filled with bugs? Yes. It's pre-alpha.
Does it represent the final product? Obviously not. How could it? It's pre alpha.
But other than that...Best ship damage model I've seen in any space sim. (name me one game with better ship damage model). Deep flight model that you can tweak to your liking. Best looking environments and sound in any space sim to date. (name one game that look better)

As for MMOs. Please name a AAA space simm MMO that allows realtime combat similar to Star Citizen.
That allows ship boarding. That merges FPS + space sim aspects.

I'll give you some help..
Jumpgate - Was good for it's time, but much like the X series, never got the budget to provide a true AAA like experience. Lacked immersion and the sense of immersion. Jumpgate Evolution had potential but it was cancelled.
Vendetta Online - Another game far from the quality of a AAA title.
Black Prophecy - Awesome visuals, but again nothing close to AAA quality.
Freelancer - Considered by most, the space sim that offered the best MP experience in a virtual universe. But it was not a MMO. Lots of MP mods were created for it and even today people are playing it. Curiously it was created by Chris Roberts.

People seems to forget that before the Star Citizen campaign....SPACE SIMS WERE DEAD. No one invested on AAA space sims and that resulted in some uninteresting games.

As for upcoming games such as No Man's Sky and Elite Dangerous.
I have pledged for Elite Dangerous. I've been playing it since the first alpha was released. I love it. I can't wait for No Man's Sky as well. I hope these games turn out to be a success. But Elite Dangerous already offers a different experience to Star Citizen. I find Star Citizen combat better than Elite Dangerous for instance. I also prefer more fantastic looking environments, than accurate and realistic ones.
So all these games aim to offer a distinct flavor.

So please, do tell me what other AAA space sim provides realtime combat in a MMO like environment?
Can you name ONE successful space sim MMO? (Eve Online is a strategy MMO so that doesn't count).

29. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 13:07 Tumbler

Alien languages sound ok. Not something that gets me more excited for the game but we'll see. If the devs are excited about it then it's a good feature to add.

Arena Commander needs control configs. I'm surprised they haven't gotten that working yet, even an outside little program that generates an xml file for your control method of choice so that the game is more playable.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

28. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 09:10 Cutter

KS wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 08:16:
Cutter wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 23:54:
This is what he considers important to spend money on? Having real long-term stretch goals at a million dollars a pop shouldn't be difficult for any designer with his salt. Cannot wait for the crash and burn.

Can ya throw a couple of million to City of Titans?

"Our $49 million stretch goal: stretchy underpants -- yes, you will actually be able to pull underpants up over someone's head in an ultrawedgie! With bump mapping for railroad track micro-dingles!"

Yeah, that looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Too bad, we need more superhero games. With the 700k they raised I'm surprised NCSoft wouldn't sell the game.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

27. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 09:05  Blue 

Alamar wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 22:22:
Wow... Blue really likes Star Citizen... First time I ever saw a news post pushed to the top of the page...

-Alamar

When I first posted it, it accidentally was part of the story above it, rather than standing alone. Right after I fixed that, the letter covering the news was added, so I figured I'd repost the story with the addition of that information.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

26. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 08:58 loomy

You sad fucks criticizing Arena Commander have never played a space sim 2 years before it was done. I doubt you've played anything 2 years before it was done, because anyone so ignorant couldn't have come from inside the games industry.  

25. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 08:30 John

Icewind wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 21:58:
Can't wait to see the first Star Citizen wedding where the bride and groom recite their nuptials in Banu.

Then we will know it really has "arrived".
You know the Sheldon Cooper's, Leonard Hofstadter's, Howard Wolowitz', Raj Koothrappali's of the world will be learning the languages..

This space is available for rent

24. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 08:16 KS

Cutter wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 23:54:
This is what he considers important to spend money on? Having real long-term stretch goals at a million dollars a pop shouldn't be difficult for any designer with his salt. Cannot wait for the crash and burn.

Can ya throw a couple of million to City of Titans?

"Our $49 million stretch goal: stretchy underpants -- yes, you will actually be able to pull underpants up over someone's head in an ultrawedgie! With bump mapping for railroad track micro-dingles!"

23. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 07:26 Arithon

Is there a playable demo or BETA of this game? Links to video of said gameplay?  

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

22. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 06:11 Luke

With that said everything that has been shown and released to the public seems to indicate that the game may end up being one of the best space Sims ever created.

HAHAHAHAHAhaha...hahehe....hahahahahaha Clown

21. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 05:58 Harrowing

So I take you haven't played AC right?
It's a absolute horrible piece of software if you take into consideration what they've promised.
Even for an alpha.

And a groundbreaking MMO since few MMOs provide realtime combat at this level

How is it ground breaking if other MMOs already offer what SC will offer?
There's already games that offer combat with a lot more players than SC will ever manage as well.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2014, 05:35 Julio

Maybe you'll have to learn Banu to get a ship for free rather than buying it Technically that would mean being able to earn it in game.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2014, 04:22 harlock

Rigs wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 04:13:
...and then jump ahead five years and see what happens...

there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2014, 04:13 Rigs

God, I just wish I had some sort of time machine...not even to physically go into the future, just something like the 'Sphere Builders' from Enterprise, who can communicate with the future (or past) timeline but can't actually go there. I just want to see like a year from today and see where it stands...and then jump ahead five years and see what happens...DAMN THIS MORTAL BODY!

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

17. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 03:52 Comet

- Feature creep.
- Alien languages do not cost 1 Million to create.
- More systems, ships and so on please

There is no feature creep because they haven't added anything substantial for ages. All new goals are eighter small stuff already planned or stuff that can improve the game without impacting the project development time. Alien languages is a good example.
Obviously Alien languages do not cost 1 Million to create.
That fits right on the principle of avoiding feature creep by promising big changes. This is crowd funding. Its not pre ordering a game or anything like that.
People are free to help or just wait for the game release.
They have no obligation. The game may suck. The game may fail to be released on schedule. The.game may not have all the promised features on release date.
So its up to each one to decide if it wants to pledge for this project or not.
With that said everything that has been shown and released to the public seems to indicate that the game may end up being one of the best space Sims ever created. And a groundbreaking MMO since few MMOs provide realtime combat at this level

So relax and wait. Enjoy the ride and take the chance to see how a game is developed. At least thats one promise their keeping.

16. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 03:05 jdreyer

ViRGE wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 01:41:
Agreed. But the vote was that RSI should continue offering stretch goals, so they're going to have to get increasingly loony since Roberts doesn't want to go against the customers.

Yeah, but why all this kooky stuff? Why not like more ships, more systems, more ports, different kinds of weapons, etc. etc.? You know, things you could actually buy and use in the game?

Meh, I guess structured fake languages is kind of cool on some level. Like when you're hearing alien chatter over the radio, and it actually sounds like a language instead of gobbledigook.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 01:41 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 20:42:
Alien Languages – Do you speak Banu? We will work with real-world linguists to create distinctive and realistic alien languages for Star Citizen’s three biggest alien races, the Vanduul, the Xi’An and the Banu.

*Checks link. Makes sure it's not from The Onion.*

As a supporter of this project, even I think this is ridiculous.
Agreed. But the vote was that RSI should continue offering stretch goals, so they're going to have to get increasingly loony since Roberts doesn't want to go against the customers.

14. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 01:08 CJ_Parker

Quick reminder: The current stretch goals are to be regarded as placeholders for what can be and will be achieved with additional funds. They are not a direct representation of "this is what we will do with $1 million".  

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo