Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns?

The stream of unconfirmed reports of internal turmoil at Crytek continues, as a new rumor on Kotaku says Homefront: The Revolution game director Hasit Zala has resigned from Crytek U.K., attributing this "to three people familiar with goings-on at the studio." According to one of their informants, it's been "a long time" since employees there have been paid. And one of their sources indicates this resignation leaves a power vacuum: "It creates a weird scenario as there are now no upper management," said a person connected to Crytek UK. "Everything is just continuing on a downwards spiral." They conclude saying Crytek declined to comment on this story, saying they've sent the German developer nearly a dozen requests for a response to these ongoing rumors over recent weeks. Thanks nin.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 15, 2014, 00:09 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 23:50:
Beamer wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 22:57:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 22:41:
nevermind

See, now I'm super curious.

Well... I posted that it essentially wasn't an "opinion" because EA Partners doesn't have explicit control over the participating developers and that's kind of the point. But then I took a look at the Starbreeze example and realized that might as well be control... And I had to concede that each contract is probably wildly different. Those contracts are just somewhere in between a wholly owned EA developer and EA publishing Valve's retail HL2.

Then you've got something like what Stardock just did, announcing that they've got 8 games in development but really it's them partnering with like 6 different smaller developers. When they partnered with Ironclad for Sins (SoaSE) they got so close that they were actually helping with development tasks.

So... it can be pretty variable. But I'd have to say that obviously simply being an EA Partner is not a recipe for failure as plenty of examples show. And in the examples of failure only a small percentage were due to EA dropping funding/publishing. It's hard to speculate how many were ruined do to meddling but I'd say it's very low.

edit: Oh and of course Crytek's troubles have nothing to do with EA Partners.

Yeah, I think Starbreeze is a huge exception, but that's also because they used EA's property.

By and large, Partners was the one thing EA was praised for, and rightly so.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 14, 2014, 23:50 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 22:57:
nevermind

Well... I posted that it essentially wasn't an "opinion" because EA Partners doesn't have explicit control over the participating developers and that's kind of the point. But then I took a look at the Starbreeze example and realized that might as well be control... And I had to concede that each contract is probably wildly different. Those contracts are just somewhere in between a wholly owned EA developer and EA publishing Valve's retail HL2.

Then you've got something like what Stardock just did, announcing that they've got 8 games in development but really it's them partnering with like 6 different smaller developers. When they partnered with Ironclad for Sins (SoaSE) they got so close that they were actually helping with development tasks.

So... it can be pretty variable. But I'd have to say that obviously simply being an EA Partner is not a recipe for failure as plenty of examples show. And in the examples of failure only a small percentage were due to EA dropping funding/publishing. It's hard to speculate how many were ruined do to meddling but I'd say it's very low.

edit: Oh and of course Crytek's troubles have nothing to do with EA Partners.

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2014, 23:59.

34. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 14, 2014, 22:57 Beamer

nevermind

-------------

33. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 14, 2014, 22:41 Sepharo

nevermind

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2014, 22:48.

32. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 14, 2014, 20:45 Mordhaus

I think we are simply not going to agree, so I will simply say that I respect your opinion even though I disagree with it.  

31. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 14, 2014, 12:37 Beamer

Mordhaus wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 01:54:
Beamer wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 23:53:
Mordhaus wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 22:04:
Beamer wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 16:15:
Mordhaus wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 15:06:
Wallshadows wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 12:18:
So what caused this train wreck to happen in the first place? Just being an 'average' developer that overextended their resources in to shit like Warface?

EA destroyed them, like so many other studios.

I mean, considering EA doesn't own them, no.

Considering that they haven't made a decent game since they signed a partnership agreement with EA after they released Crysis, I would say that EA did have a lot to do with it. Once you partner with EA or become one of their sub-studios, you dance to their tune. That means making sure you roll out sequels and console games as fast as you can. Farcry and Crysis were great, everything that EA has pushed them to do since blows.

They weren't a substudio. They signed a deal with EA Partners. It was solely publishing - EA had next to no input. EA Partners is solely publishing and distribution and mostly hands-off. It's where studios keep their IP, which is what Crytek wanted after Ubi kept Far Cry from them.

I know it's hip and cool to bash EA, but put blame where it lies - Crytek.

I never said they were a substudio. I said that anytime you partner with EA you start dancing to their tune, assuming you want to continue getting your games published through them. Now Crytek had already jumped ship from Ubisoft, which means that if they jumped ship from EA they had limited options if they wanted to remain with a AAA publisher. Basically they would have had to choose between Bethesda and 2k, since THQ was already headed down the tubes at that point.

Did Crytek have some part of their failure? Absolutely they did, choosing to alienate the PC realm that they started in did not help. But EA certainly also had a large chunk of responsibility. I refer you to this list:

Realtime Worlds - Defunct

Double Fine Productions - Hasn't had a hit game since Psychonauts, although they were going to make Brutal Legends 2 until EA told them they simply wouldn't publish it. The game was cancelled and the company has been limping along on browser based games until they decided to set up a kickstarter to try and make a major game again.

Epic Games - As long as they keep making the Unreal engine they will be ok, but they haven't had a hit game since 2011 (GoW3).

Crytek - Tanking, might be ok if they do like Epic and revert to just making a game engine.

Hothead Games - Mostly churning out sports games since 2012. I wonder what EA is mostly interested in?

Insomniac Games - Joined EA partners, hasn't had a hit game since.

Flagship Studios - Defunct

38 Studios - Defunct

Big Huge Games - Defunct

Harmonix and MTV Games - Possible success story, even EA can't get them all wrong. Viacom ran them into the ground, to the point EA didn't even want to buy them. Finally they were cut loose and Dance Central series seems to be working for them.

Funcom - They are sort of like a roach, in that they just can't seem to be exterminated. F2P kings, as it were.

Grasshopper Manufacture - Sold

Starbreeze Studios - Doing Ok. But, as another example of how little control EA has over 'partners', EA flat out cancelled the first game in what would have been a series about Jason Bourne. No more series and Starbreeze immediately said they were returning to one of their core IP's, parroting EA's new policy of concentrating only on core IPs and sequels. [url=]http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ea-cancels-starbreeze-title[/url]

These are just some of the 'partners' in the program. The fact is, EA retains massive control over the studios for one simple reason. If they don't like the game, they won't publish it. So you can be darn sure that the studios are floating their ideas past EA first, because they don't want to invest the resources to get a working model of a game going only to be told to can it.

Ug.
For one, you're missing Activision as an option.
For another, you're again using some serious flawed logic. Do you want me to make a large list of all the independent studios that folded in the past few years that had nothing to do with EA? And are you really saying that Flagship Studios, 38 Studios, and Realtime Worlds failed because of EA? Seriously?

And of COURSE if they don't like a game they won't publish it! But, for a studio like Valve, Epic, and Crytek, they will NOT get pushed around by EA. Why? Until late they were each independently wealthy, and they each had enough success that EA came after them, not the other way around.

Again, though, you're claiming 38 Studios, Flagship Studios and Realtime Worlds failed because of EA.

-------------

30. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 14, 2014, 11:16 yuastnav

The decision to use the CryEngine for a space game always stuck me as odd. I realise that the Crysis games have big levels but this is on a completely different scale.
Though I know next to nothing about the technical details, so maybe someone who does can explain what the hell is going on.

29. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 14, 2014, 06:36 Wraith

NewMaxx wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 21:04:
I said it here (post #3) and I said it in the last Crytek rumor thread: this is Crytek U.K. only. The only game they've worked on solely or primarily is the upcoming Homefront title. That's it. It's just one subsidiary. Seems people just like to react to things without reading...
Wrong. Crytek is in financial trouble. The guy who just resigned was working at Crytek UK. Sony is eyeing them up as we speak.

28. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 14, 2014, 06:34 Wraith

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 19:51:
They already have people from Crytek working there to support the game, like Sean Tracy. Those people will just join the CIG team or continue to offer support from whatever company buys up the engine.
That's a naive little scenario you've got yourself there. How about you grow up and join us in the real world?

Wraith wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 17:08:
SLI is not a feature of the game, it's a feature of the engine. They've managed to screw up SLI on an engine which operates just fine on every other title. That takes a truly talented level of incompetence.
You're a twat. You know that, right? Wall They're making major changes to the engine, which causes features to break. The renderer is being overhauled (for instance they've added support for the Oculus Rift), the engine is being ported to double precision, support for Mantle is being built-in and DX12 will likely be supported, etc. SLI was working for the hangar module but was broken for Arena Commander - the team is aware of that and it is listed as one of the known issues.
And you're a ludicrous little fanboy ready to choke on Chris Roberts' cock. No, it wasn't working for the Hangar Module - the Hangar Module always ran like shit. Supporting Oculus Rift is fucking trivial and double precision was inevitable because it's a fucking FPS engine and you're trying to model interplanetary distances, thus making it a poor fucking choice to begin with.

Supporting Mantle is FUCKING stupid when optimising for AMD cards is the least of your fucking worries - if anything, Mantle support will be provided by CryTek - there's no way CIG is going to be doing that themselves. Which means that's another feature you can kiss goodbye. No Crytek, no Mantle renderer.

One of the known issues is they can't produce a stable fucking build that works - but that's a known issue in their software development process. Another known issue is their burn rate which is FUCKING high. The only thing which has kept them afloat is the ready supply of CR fanboys willing to spend stupid amounts of money on virtual ships they'll probably never get to fly. Their last 10 stretch goals have been trivial fucking muck just designed to justify the extra mill - so all that money is going somewhere, but it sure as shit ain't going into the stretch goals.

Yeah, they should have licensed the engine from that other AAA space-sim...
Elite Dangerous? Nah, I doubt Braben would've said yes. Then again, somebody with a clue probably would've understand the necessity of having an appropriate engine instead of licensing a AAA shooter engine. Christ, even the Nitrous engine would've been better than CryEngine - at least it's built for space combat.

oh wait, there isn't one. Dickhead.
From the fanboy who wants to have Chris Roberts' babies? That's fucking rich - have you emailed him a couple of thousand times offering to chow down on his love rod if he lets you "test" his proof of concept some more?

Substantial parts of the game are based in first-person and the rest has to be built-up around it.
Pig's ass they will. You'll get Squadron 42 if you're fucking lucky and the rest will be a pipe dream right up to the point where he runs out of money and runs begging to kickstarter again. Perhaps if he wasn't spending so much money on promotional videos and bullshit for the web site, he'd be able to focus on making a half-decent game.

Licensing CryEngine accelerated the development process but large parts of the engine will have be be built or rebuilt from scratch.
Nobody licenses an engine so they can rebuild it from scratch - unless they're completely fucking incompetent, that is.

Wraith wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 17:10:
Braben's been in this game for decades and while I'm not a believer in "procedurally generated" magic, he does at least know how to put a space combat engine together.
Yeah, because Chris Roberts has no experience in space-sims. Knobcheese.
Yeah because Wing Commander was a technical tour de force, not a cheesy use of sprites combined with some 90's FMV. Oh wait... that's exactly what it fucking was.

Braben, at least, knows what he's doing. Roberts is one of those most dubious of entities "a designer". The guys who don't do anything useful except wave their hands around and ask for technical impossibilities. And we've seen the less than impressive result of that particular effort, haven't we. Six months of a fucking hangar and a dogfight module that doesn't even begin to work.

Oh, I can only imagine what's in store. Perhaps a full 30 seconds of flight between loading screens. Oh, the thrill.

You clearly know nothing about game development.
*snigger* Kid, I was writing 3D engines when you were in short pants. CIG's mismanagement of the CryEngine is unimpressive. Braben's implementation of Elite: Dangerous draws a clear distinction between a lead who knows what he's doing and one who survives on the kind of overblown hype that is Star Citizen.

In future, kid, stick to topics you know something about. That way, you'll manage to avoid looking like a complete fucking retard.

27. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 14, 2014, 04:05 harlock

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 02:38:
That can be easily done if you have more than 1 company.. actually.

but they dont, and its too late now

26. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 14, 2014, 02:38 eRe4s3r

harlock wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 16:29:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 15:51:
If Crytek goes under, they'll either get restructured into a smaller company or CryEngine will get spun off into its own company.

no, it will get bought by someone else

you think crytek can just default on all their bills and go bankrupt and cryengine somehow magically escapes all liability?

That can be easily done if you have more than 1 company.. actually.

25. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 14, 2014, 02:21 Sepharo

You're missing Valve using EA to publish retail/boxed HL2.  

24. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 14, 2014, 01:54 Mordhaus

Beamer wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 23:53:
So what caused this train wreck to happen in the first place? Just being an 'average' developer that overextended their resources in to shit like Warface?

Considering that they haven't made a decent game since they signed a partnership agreement with EA after they released Crysis, I would say that EA did have a lot to do with it. Once you partner with EA or become one of their sub-studios, you dance to their tune. That means making sure you roll out sequels and console games as fast as you can. Farcry and Crysis were great, everything that EA has pushed them to do since blows.

They weren't a substudio. They signed a deal with EA Partners. It was solely publishing - EA had next to no input. EA Partners is solely publishing and distribution and mostly hands-off. It's where studios keep their IP, which is what Crytek wanted after Ubi kept Far Cry from them.

I never said they were a substudio. I said that anytime you partner with EA you start dancing to their tune, assuming you want to continue getting your games published through them. Now Crytek had already jumped ship from Ubisoft, which means that if they jumped ship from EA they had limited options if they wanted to remain with a AAA publisher. Basically they would have had to choose between Bethesda and 2k, since THQ was already headed down the tubes at that point.

Did Crytek have some part of their failure? Absolutely they did, choosing to alienate the PC realm that they started in did not help. But EA certainly also had a large chunk of responsibility. I refer you to this list:

Realtime Worlds - Defunct

Double Fine Productions - Hasn't had a hit game since Psychonauts, although they were going to make Brutal Legends 2 until EA told them they simply wouldn't publish it. The game was cancelled and the company has been limping along on browser based games until they decided to set up a kickstarter to try and make a major game again.

Epic Games - As long as they keep making the Unreal engine they will be ok, but they haven't had a hit game since 2011 (GoW3).

Crytek - Tanking, might be ok if they do like Epic and revert to just making a game engine.

Hothead Games - Mostly churning out sports games since 2012. I wonder what EA is mostly interested in?

Insomniac Games - Joined EA partners, hasn't had a hit game since.

Flagship Studios - Defunct

38 Studios - Defunct

Big Huge Games - Defunct

Harmonix and MTV Games - Possible success story, even EA can't get them all wrong. Viacom ran them into the ground, to the point EA didn't even want to buy them. Finally they were cut loose and Dance Central series seems to be working for them.

Funcom - They are sort of like a roach, in that they just can't seem to be exterminated. F2P kings, as it were.

Grasshopper Manufacture - Sold

Starbreeze Studios - Doing Ok. But, as another example of how little control EA has over 'partners', EA flat out cancelled the first game in what would have been a series about Jason Bourne. No more series and Starbreeze immediately said they were returning to one of their core IP's, parroting EA's new policy of concentrating only on core IPs and sequels. [url=]http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ea-cancels-starbreeze-title[/url]

These are just some of the 'partners' in the program. The fact is, EA retains massive control over the studios for one simple reason. If they don't like the game, they won't publish it. So you can be darn sure that the studios are floating their ideas past EA first, because they don't want to invest the resources to get a working model of a game going only to be told to can it.

23. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 13, 2014, 23:53 Beamer

-------------

22. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 13, 2014, 22:38 Acleacius

It's all PC gamers fault !!  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

21. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 13, 2014, 22:04 Mordhaus

20. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 13, 2014, 21:04 NewMaxx

I said it here (post #3) and I said it in the last Crytek rumor thread: this is Crytek U.K. only. The only game they've worked on solely or primarily is the upcoming Homefront title. That's it. It's just one subsidiary. Seems people just like to react to things without reading...  

19. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 13, 2014, 19:53 harlock

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 19:51:
You're a twat. You know that, right? Wall

Dickhead.

Knobcheese.

Stop trolling and find something productive to do with your life.

Rolleyes2

18. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 13, 2014, 19:51 theyarecomingforyou

Licensing is irrelevant if they can't get the support they (clearly) need. I can see you have very little understanding of how software development works.
They already have people from Crytek working there to support the game, like Sean Tracy. Those people will just join the CIG team or continue to offer support from whatever company buys up the engine.

SLI is not a feature of the game, it's a feature of the engine. They've managed to screw up SLI on an engine which operates just fine on every other title. That takes a truly talented level of incompetence.
You're a twat. You know that, right? Wall They're making major changes to the engine, which causes features to break. The renderer is being overhauled (for instance they've added support for the Oculus Rift), the engine is being ported to double precision, support for Mantle is being built-in and DX12 will likely be supported, etc. SLI was working for the hangar module but was broken for Arena Commander - the team is aware of that and it is listed as one of the known issues.

Add in the fact that an FPS engine is a really poor choice for a space combat game and.... well those with a clue can see the writing on the wall.
Yeah, they should have licensed the engine from that other AAA space-sim... oh wait, there isn't one. Dickhead. Substantial parts of the game are based in first-person and the rest has to be built-up around it. Licensing CryEngine accelerated the development process but large parts of the engine will have be be built or rebuilt from scratch.

Wraith wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 17:10:
Braben's been in this game for decades and while I'm not a believer in "procedurally generated" magic, he does at least know how to put a space combat engine together.
Yeah, because Chris Roberts has no experience in space-sims. Knobcheese.

You clearly know nothing about game development. For a pre-alpha the game is in surprising good condition. Stop trolling and find something productive to do with your life.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

17. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 13, 2014, 17:35 Optional Nickname!

While Star Citizen is progressing, the CryEngine's fundamental incompatibility with 'space ships' is creating some very difficult problems with very inelegant current solutions.

Having the people inside a starship possibly having to be on a different instance/server than the starship they are flying in due to syncing issues, is just one of them.

Look at the effort it is taking just to go from x86 to x64 in this custom CryEngine. Even with optimizations, SC multiplayer as envisioned might not be possible.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo