Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'm a little sad because my week-long pet-sitting favor for a neighbor is drawing to a close. I've been feeding their guinea pig and gecko while they are away, but they are set to return this weekend. This isn't really a chore for me because I like animals so much, and both of them are very fun and cute. In fact, I've been thinking a lizard might be a good pet to keep me company in my office. A little Googling shows the leopard gecko they have is an ideal choice for a beginning owner, though in reading about this topic I've become interested in an Australian lizard called the blue tongued skink. Though they require a little more setup than the gecko, they are likewise pretty friendly and hardy, and are less fussy about diet, so they can subsist fine without having to feed them live insects (apparently they are like raccoons down under, happily picking through garbage cans for scraps). Besides, their tongues really are blue... how cool is that?

Lizardy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Score the Goal.
Clicker Heroes.
Link: British Royal Family Places Queen Elizabeth In Nursing Home.
Story: Tracy Morgan sues Walmart over deadly crash.
Science: Debate Continues on Hazards of Electromagnetic Waves. Thanks j.c.f.
DARPA tests bullet-sized homing missiles.
Media: If Google were a Guy (Part 3).
Ridiculously Overpacked Battery Charger.
The Greatest Soldier of the 20th Century. Thanks Reddit.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2014, 09:25 Verno

BobBob wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 01:28:
It's not good to support Nazis. Bad stuff. I seriously doubt he's an apologist.

No, I don't have a link handy but someone linked a thread a few weeks ago where he was doing exactly that.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2014, 01:28 BobBob

It's not good to support Nazis. Bad stuff. I seriously doubt he's an apologist. The way I read it is he meant he wanted to play both sides like the Rebellion or Empire in Star Wars games or the Soviets in C&C. People misunderstood, attacked him for it, so he gave an extreme response back.

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2014, 02:00.

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2014, 11:29 Mad Max RW

BobBob wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 20:46:
Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 20:42:

How do you figure, sportsfan? Just because we were hunter-gatherers doesn't mean we enjoyed it. It's why we took to agrarian societies like a duck to water. Tool use, metallurgy, et al. all to limit our exposure to the wild and make life easier. We don't like being caged either, but that's a very different thing from being domestic. We can still walk out our front doors anytime.

Cutter,

If I get banned for arguing and defending myself here. I want to tell you I consider you a virtual friend. Take care.

You consider yourself a friend of an admitted Nazi apologist? Congratulations I guess.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2014, 02:58 jdreyer

jdreyer wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 19:01:
Humans are animals too, and aren't "meant" to live in domesticity either.

How do you figure, sportsfan? Just because we were hunter-gatherers doesn't mean we enjoyed it. It's why we took to agrarian societies like a duck to water. Tool use, metallurgy, et al. all to limit our exposure to the wild and make life easier. We don't like being caged either, but that's a very different thing from being domestic. We can still walk out our front doors anytime.

Exactly, WE didn't enjoy it, why would he think that other animals would too? My point is that all those things you listed are artificial constructs. Keeping pets is also artificial. That doesn't mean it's inherently bad. Animals by and large live longer healthier lives in captivity than in the wild. This can be empirically measured using criteria like lifespan and stress hormone evaluation. There are exceptions of course, especially with intelligent animals like elephants and dolphins. And it's possible to do captivity poorly. But all the dangers in the wild that animals must contend with that shorten their lives are largely absent in captivity: predators, parasites, diseases, competition for food & water, etc. etc. There's a reason most animals give birth to many times the number young than necessary to replace them: the vast majority don't survive to reproduce.

Just like we make our lives more comfortable via our technology, so too can most wild animals live longer more comfortable lives in the shadow of said tech. Bobbob is idealizing nature as some kind of utopia. My suggestion to him is that he's forgotten what it's like to live there, and needs to have a go at it to remind himself how good he has it, and that it's better for most pets as well in our world.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2014, 02:36 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 20:46:

Cutter,

If I get banned for arguing and defending myself here. I want to tell you I consider you a virtual friend. Take care.

You're not going to get banned for expressing your opinion on topic for this thread. It's perfectly valid behavior. Most of us just think it's a wrong opinion.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2014, 02:33 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 19:53:
BobBob wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 19:42:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_composition

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

True, true.

On the other hand, I'm a gamer. And when I see a headshot, I tend to take it. Rifle

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2014, 00:59 Agent.X7

harlock wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 23:15:
The bullets are the size of a large pen and can be used in both sniper rifles and machine guns. The full EXACTO system comprises of both bullets and a real-time guidance system that tracks and delivers the projectile to the target.

man wasnt there a movie back in the 80s about that? with gene simmons and tom selleck i think - also there were robot spiders

Yup, Runaway directed by none other than Michael Crichton.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 23:15 harlock

The bullets are the size of a large pen and can be used in both sniper rifles and machine guns. The full EXACTO system comprises of both bullets and a real-time guidance system that tracks and delivers the projectile to the target.

man wasnt there a movie back in the 80s about that? with gene simmons and tom selleck i think - also there were robot spiders

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 22:24 Shok

I had never heard of a blue tongue skink until I saw this picture in a camera forum yesterday. No chance of any reptiles in my house though. The cat would have it in his teeth in seconds. We can't let him out on our screened in patio or he would be hunting lizards there too.  

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 21:51 Ant

Blue wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 21:45:
Ant wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 21:43:
Blue, you should keep ants and don't feed ants to geckos.

I do keep ants, I have thousands of them... But like a lot of people who keep their cats outdoors, I keep my ants outside. Everyone seems to like it better that way.
So, I can't come into your place?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 21:45  Blue 

Ant wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 21:43:

I do keep ants, I have thousands of them... But like a lot of people who keep their cats outdoors, I keep my ants outside. Everyone seems to like it better that way.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

33. Re: Blue TOngue Jul 12, 2014, 21:43  Blue 

Darth Guybrush wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 20:22:
Unless I am mistaken the Blue Tongue is a protected species and it would be illegal to get one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-tongued_skink

? I don't see anywhere that it says that.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 21:43 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 20:46 BobBob

Cutter,

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 20:44 Cutter

nin wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 20:41:
Dades wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 20:34:
BobBob wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 20:24:
nin wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 15:40:

Hey, look! Another condescending post from bobbob.

The above is an example of trolling and flaming. Merely attacking the poster instead of the subject.

You're just posting generic links to wikipedia and make no effort to respond in any meaningful way to any criticism of your ridiculously one sided tripe. To be blunt you don't deserve any special consideration or treatment.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

His posts are about how his thoughts and ideas are superior to everyone elses. Because if you're not doing things his way, you're clearly not doing things right. And that's condescending.

And you just take jabs at people in cases like this without bringing anything to the table, so what's your point? That's the definition of trolling and flaming.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 20:43 BobBob

nin wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 20:41:

His posts are about how his thoughts and ideas are superior to everyone elses. Because if you're not doing things his way, you're clearly not doing things right. And that's condescending.

More trolling personal attacks. If you look in my history, you'll see that someone argued for collecting video games. I understood his argument and showed respect.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 20:42 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 19:01:
Humans are animals too, and aren't "meant" to live in domesticity either.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 20:41 nin

The above is an example of trolling and flaming. Merely attacking the poster instead of the subject.

You're just posting generic links to wikipedia and make no effort to respond in any meaningful way to any criticism of your ridiculously one sided tripe. To be blunt you don't deserve any special consideration or treatment.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 20:41 BobBob

Above the link was the quote. It pointed out why the counter argument that "because humans are animals, they should live in the wild too" is fallacious.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2014, 20:48.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 20:34 Dades

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo