Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer

This trailer is part two of the E3 demo for Dragon Age: Inquisition, offering another 14 minutes of gameplay footage from the RPG sequel that's expected this October. Here's word on the clip: "Join creative director Mike Laidlaw as he walks you through part two of the award winning Dragon Age: Inquisition E3 gameplay demo. In part two, see BioWare's critically-acclaimed storytelling at work as the Inquisition embarks on a rescue mission and confronts a dangerous adversary."

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 13, 2014, 17:24 Jerykk

Redmask wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 10:59:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 16:00:
You can see a "Fade Portal" conveniently opens up several times and just ports in waves of enemies. That sort of thing is what we're talking about, DA2 all over again and I'm not swallowing any talk about its context in the DA universe.

Unlike DA2, I don't think that's representative of combat scenarios as a whole. The Fade Portals are a rare occurrence (or in this case, part of a boss fight). They've shown footage of other fights where there were no waves of enemies.

They occur before the boss fight as well as during it. I'll believe that they've changed when I see it, the lazy ass encounter design in DA2 left a horrible aftertaste and this looks like more of the same.

This footage shows several combat encounters without waves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8xJMWRI-cA

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 13, 2014, 10:59 Redmask

Jerykk wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 16:00:
You can see a "Fade Portal" conveniently opens up several times and just ports in waves of enemies. That sort of thing is what we're talking about, DA2 all over again and I'm not swallowing any talk about its context in the DA universe.

Unlike DA2, I don't think that's representative of combat scenarios as a whole. The Fade Portals are a rare occurrence (or in this case, part of a boss fight). They've shown footage of other fights where there were no waves of enemies.

They occur before the boss fight as well as during it. I'll believe that they've changed when I see it, the lazy ass encounter design in DA2 left a horrible aftertaste and this looks like more of the same.

40. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 21:57 Slashman

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 18:38:
Also love games where you can heal, rez at will and then a cutscene comes along, a person takes a blow that kills them and I can't do anything about it. First I've seen them take worst all the time in battle, second I can heal or rez any other time dying or dead players. But they die this way and all of a sudden I have amnesia and can't do fuck to save them.

Pretty sure this happens in most RPGs. I can think of a bunch off the top of my head, including several of the Final Fantasy ones.

The alternatives are to never have dramatic cutscenes where people die, make the gameplay unforgiving by ending if any party member falls in combat or design the game so that if any party member falls it can continue if they stay dead. There are drawbacks to each option.

39. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 18:38 HorrorScope

If you play all combat in tactical mode, your life may end before you finish the game.

One thing I don't like is the end of this movie. You are in a fight, you play it out, win and then in a cutscene they take your Ranger kill her or take her hostage doesn't matter how you play, the game just gives you a big finger.

Also love games where you can heal, rez at will and then a cutscene comes along, a person takes a blow that kills them and I can't do anything about it. First I've seen them take worst all the time in battle, second I can heal or rez any other time dying or dead players. But they die this way and all of a sudden I have amnesia and can't do fuck to save them.

38. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 16:08 Jerykk

Bullshit. DA:I is going Borderlands. What works for the over-the-top cell shaded world of BL does not work for a serious RPG with serious themes like DA:I. Keep your fucking Michael Bay out of my Game of Thrones. The greatest part of BS:Infinite for example is the exploration parts with the UI disabled. Pure exploration, discovery, and storytelling.

I feel like you didn't even play the first DA game. It had floating damage numbers and text, just like 99% of RPGs. Again, in a game that features character progression (through gear and leveling), being able to see exactly how much damage you are doing and what status effects are being applied is very useful. That's why RPGs typically have floating numbers and text. And like I said before, there's a very good chance that you'll be able to disable that stuff.

WTF is wrong with you? If I want great gameplay ONLY I'll go play Super Mario Brothers. And who said anything about realism? It's immersion that's important. Tooltips and damage numbers aside, these characters jump around like they're on a constant meth drip. It's ridiculous. The third person perspective reminds me that I'm PLAYING the game, not in it. And there's no danger in this world. Enemies fall like so many cardboard cutouts. It's a shame too, because the engine is gorgeous, and the story looks pretty engrossing.

DA:O was third-person. DA2 was third-person. Every game that Bioware has ever made was third-person. Why you'd be shocked that DA:I is third-person makes no sense.

As for challenge, I'm pretty sure you can just ramp up the difficulty like in the previous games. DA:O and DA2 were insanely hard on Nightmare difficulty. I see no reason why DA:I would be any different.

37. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 16:03 Task

Definitely done preordering Dragon Age. Not that I won't buy this, just not right way, maybe on sale, and likely only for the story if its decent.

I do agree that the characters look really wooden in their delivery, lacking expressions and emotion.

36. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 16:00 Jerykk

35. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 11:53 Redmask

You can see a "Fade Portal" conveniently opens up several times and just ports in waves of enemies. That sort of thing is what we're talking about, DA2 all over again and I'm not swallowing any talk about its context in the DA universe. That will very likely be a reoccurring design theme throughout the game - enemies summoning many other enemies in the middle of combat. With more wide open environments and varying terrain/elevations this really shouldn't be necessary, its a lazy design crutch. That's like WoW raid lite encounter design.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2014, 12:08.

34. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Mini-Delay Jul 12, 2014, 11:47 Creston

ChandlerL wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 10:46:
Creston wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 05:24:
Oh good, I see that Mike Laidlaw still doesn't give two shits about consistency, and still has mages that teleport around a battlefield even though their own lore says that teleportation of any kind is impossible in Thedas.

They're not teleporting they are moving at extraordinary speed over short distances. It's covered in the Dragon Age lore book called, "World of Thedas Vol. 1"

Mage disappears from one area, instantly appears in other area. It happens dozens of times in Dragon Age 2. It happens several times in this very video. That's teleporting, Bioware's horseshit semantics aside. And it's fine if you change your mind as a company, but they put the same fucking lore entry into DA2 where their combat designers decided that having mages teleport was the height of AI ingenuity.

Why not just scrap it then? Why have your writers even bother to come up with entries like that if you're just going to shit all over them as game designer? answer: Mike Laidlaw is a terrible lead designer.

33. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Mini-Delay Jul 12, 2014, 11:31 Redmask

ChandlerL wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 10:47:
Nope, saw the full demo at E3. Noone was "teleporting in."

Wrong, it literally happens multiple times in this video.

32. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Mini-Delay Jul 12, 2014, 10:55 descender

saw the full demo at E3

I know you keep saying that Chandler, but you can clearly see it happening in this video.

31. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Mini-Delay Jul 12, 2014, 10:47 ChandlerL

Redmask wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 08:39:
Oh look more enemies just teleporting into existence like DA2, just what the doctor ordered Rolleyes

Putting lipstick on a pig with the Frostbite engine and its funny to see so many people fool based on visuals alone. Hit that preorder button and ignore history if you want, I see no reason to believe they have learned from any of their mistakes.

Nope, saw the full demo at E3. Noone was "teleporting in."

30. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Mini-Delay Jul 12, 2014, 10:46 ChandlerL

Creston wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 05:24:
Oh good, I see that Mike Laidlaw still doesn't give two shits about consistency, and still has mages that teleport around a battlefield even though their own lore says that teleportation of any kind is impossible in Thedas.

They're not teleporting they are moving at extraordinary speed over short distances. It's covered in the Dragon Age lore book called, "World of Thedas Vol. 1"

29. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 08:39 Redmask

Oh look more enemies just teleporting into existence like DA2, just what the doctor ordered Rolleyes

Putting lipstick on a pig with the Frostbite engine and its funny to see so many people fool based on visuals alone. Hit that preorder button and ignore history if you want, I see no reason to believe they have learned from any of their mistakes.

28. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 08:14 Slick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZ8m7pqJZs#t=20

BAM FUCKING LOOK AT THAT SHIT, THAT WAS 2006! THATS HOW ITS DONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS7sFIWDvIc#t=1198

BIGGITY BAM! THAT WAS 2007!

so what in the hell are we doing here in 2014????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCGJACVoMPI#t=75

where the shaders look better, the polys are higher, but the lips move, and the eyes occationally blink, but other than that characters look like statues. And the more dramatic the reading is only creates more dissonance for the viewer, as their voice is portraying all kinds of emotion, while the character models do their best impression of a brick wall.

27. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 08:00 Slick

bout ready to write this one off. the animations look like shit, the combat looks like every other game on consoles, the dialogue wasn't awe-inspiring, and the overall feel seems very cookie-cutter.

i've just about had it with these RPGs who's animations are so trash. unforgivable in 2014. the whole point is about immersion in the world, and the characters. they'll spend tens of millions on texture artists, 3D modelers, voice actors, etc. but the animations still look like every other goddamned RPG on the planet. including every single MMO ever made.

maybe it's just cause i'm playing ESO and am so tired of the same deadpan faces delivering stale lines of dialogue telling me to do x y or z, it's so easy to see through, i've lost all immersion. then you see the same shit everywhere, and a genre you love just feels worn thin.

26. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 06:12 jdreyer

Slashman wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 02:38:
DA3 may turn out to be an awesome game. It may turn into DA2 all over again. I don't know. I just know that I have much less confidence in Bioware than I used to. So I'll just wait and see.

The gameplay vids over the past two days do not inspire confidence.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

25. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 06:09 jdreyer

LittleMe wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 02:06:
Did I just need to explain that?

Exactly. Perfect. Thanks, LittleMe.

24. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 06:05 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 00:48:
i agree the overall easymode design of modern games is somewhat insulting to us oldtimers, but i don't feel it's that big a deal. after playing for awhile they don't even register to my brain anymore. i finally started playing through assassin's creed 3 and despite the consolization, it really doesn't bother me anymore. the only thing that remains to memory is the onscreen action, the character design, and the dialogue you share.

gameplay is eternally transitional anyway - that's why i don't put much stock into griping about it. the innovative first person of wolfenstein to our younger selves is the restrictive, chained experience to us today. really, anything short of holodeck VR is unrealistic so i'm not sure how people say one method of gameplay is superior to another. heck, lots of people still prefer the constraints of turnbased gaming over realtime. Civ 4/5/6 is proof enough of that.

for me, the design of the DA series was such that combat was always subservient to the narrative anyway, and in that regard it's done a fine enough job. if in DA3, they've made the world far larger, with more immersive graphics, design, and character interaction, and combat isn't totally unfair one way or another, that's all i need.

I dunno, I am being harsh on this game. And I really, really hope you all enjoy it. The engine is beautiful, and the story looks really good. I just can't get over their gameplay choices here. Currently I'm playing State of Decay, which looked great in the vids, but I'm finding when I'm actually playing it that I can't stand it. It's just too consoly for me. And this looks exactly the same.

23. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 06:02 jdreyer

Jerykk wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 23:13:
I agree, it looks amazing. I just hate the gaminess of it, all the stuff I mentioned yesterday, all those console compromises, all those simplifications. They detract from reality, and it breaks the immersion. I can't believe I'm in this world when everything has tool tips, when damage displays in numbers on people, and when I'm in 3rd person view.

It's a videogame. "Gaminess" isn't really a criticism when you're talking about videogames.That's like saying a movie is too "movie-ish."
Bullshit. DA:I is going Borderlands. What works for the over-the-top cell shaded world of BL does not work for a serious RPG with serious themes like DA:I. Keep your fucking Michael Bay out of my Game of Thrones. The greatest part of BS:Infinite for example is the exploration parts with the UI disabled. Pure exploration, discovery, and storytelling.

Also, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to disable the floating numbers and maybe even the tool tips. As for the camera, first-person would be terrible for this kind of game. It's all about managing your party and planning your next move. Being able to see as much of the battlefield as possible is ideal, hence the third-person camera.

I'm all for immersion but gameplay always takes priority. If realism hurts the gameplay, it should always take a backseat.
WTF is wrong with you? If I want great gameplay ONLY I'll go play Super Mario Brothers. And who said anything about realism? It's immersion that's important. Tooltips and damage numbers aside, these characters jump around like they're on a constant meth drip. It's ridiculous. The third person perspective reminds me that I'm PLAYING the game, not in it. And there's no danger in this world. Enemies fall like so many cardboard cutouts. It's a shame too, because the engine is gorgeous, and the story looks pretty engrossing.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo