Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak

A new Ask Me Anything session on Reddit with Cliff Bleszinski talks with the former Epic designer about recently announced plans for a free-to-play shooter called Blue Streak. Along the way he faces questions about his outspokenness ("Part of it was also not being held own by PR folks and being able to say a lot of what I really thought about the industry. Did I go a bit overboard? Probably."), whether the F2P game will feature microtransactions ("I've never shipped a Free to Play game before. That's one of the MANY reasons why we're going with Nexon, they can provide server structures and a global peek into gamers of all types and guide us into a game that's more 'Shut up and take my money' as opposed to "shaking you down for your hard earned cash'."), that the characters in the game will apparently not be the steroidal freaks depicted in Gears of War, that Tim Sweeney is spending money buying up most of North Carolina rather than paying him, and more.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 11, 2014, 10:19 Panickd

InBlack wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 04:06:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 18:39:
Timmeh wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 17:29:
There is no way the game flops. Its going to be a huge international hit and make millions upon millions of dollars.

I played Nexon's Combat Arms, another free to play military style fps for a couple of years. It was great fun. It still has a ton of players. Nexon knows what they are doing in the Free to Play Market. They have a variety of games and make a bucket ton of money.

Cliffy knows how to make a good FPS and is a great level designer. I wager Blue Streak will be a lot like Unreal Tournament old school. It will end up with a million players world wide Just wait and see.

I hope you're right. I don't wish for bad games. And regardless of what we think about Cliffy personally, he has talent. But Free to Play is like having a picnic under a nice shady tree on a beautiful summer day and a bird craps on the apple pie.

Thats a rather depressing view. There are some really good F2P games out there. The first one that comes to mind is another shooter, of course, Team Fortress2. That one is still going strong, and you really have no need to invest ANY money in the game to be competitive. If he manages to put out something along those lines (which is exactly what a F2P shooter needs to be run like from a business perspective at least) then we will have another great F2P game on our hands.

Just off the top of my head: War Thunder, Neverwinter, Path of Exile, Tribes: Ascend and Warframe are all games I've played and enjoyed and been competitive at without spending dime one. F2P is a tough thing to get right and no matter how right you get it you'll have people bitching about it the vast majority of whom will never have tried your game. For some people F2P is an instant turn off in the same way releasing a for pay game with countless DLC packs is for many others.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 11, 2014, 04:06 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 18:39:
There is no way the game flops. Its going to be a huge international hit and make millions upon millions of dollars.

I played Nexon's Combat Arms, another free to play military style fps for a couple of years. It was great fun. It still has a ton of players. Nexon knows what they are doing in the Free to Play Market. They have a variety of games and make a bucket ton of money.

Cliffy knows how to make a good FPS and is a great level designer. I wager Blue Streak will be a lot like Unreal Tournament old school. It will end up with a million players world wide Just wait and see.

I hope you're right. I don't wish for bad games. And regardless of what we think about Cliffy personally, he has talent. But Free to Play is like having a picnic under a nice shady tree on a beautiful summer day and a bird craps on the apple pie.

Thats a rather depressing view. There are some really good F2P games out there. The first one that comes to mind is another shooter, of course, Team Fortress2. That one is still going strong, and you really have no need to invest ANY money in the game to be competitive. If he manages to put out something along those lines (which is exactly what a F2P shooter needs to be run like from a business perspective at least) then we will have another great F2P game on our hands.

I have a nifty blue line!

28. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 20:07 Beamer

RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 19:59:
I smell shit

Wipe better?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 19:59 RaZ0r!

I smell shit  

26. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 18:39 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

25. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 17:29 Timmeh

24. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 16:20 djinn

I'll give credit where credit is due. I loved Unreal and don't really care how good or bad the people that worked on it were at PR. Going through some of his answers he is spot on in some areas.

23. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 15:11 Cutter

Scheisse Streak.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 14:44 Panickd

nin wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 10:25:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 10:22:
Let's not forget he is the Tony Stark of the video game industry.
At least according to him anyways.

The image of that PC Gamer cover just popped into my mind. That worked out so well for all involved...

Also, apparently The Sims are livin large...

So 14 years later some youngins got schooled by the real world. What else is new? Also, if you'll recall, Ken Levine was one of those "game gods" and I'd say things have been pretty solid on his end of the pool since that cover shoot.

Say what you want about CB but the fact remains that he was able to design games that sold very well for Epic. And that's probably one of the chief reasons Tim Sweeney can afford to buy huge swaths of North Carolina now. He might be an egotistical douche but he's an egotistical douche that knows his industry and it's market pretty well.

21. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 14:35 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 14:21:
Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 14:03:
It's funny that he mentions Tim liking to walk. It used to be that, if you drove past Epic in the early evening, you were guaranteed to see Tim and Cliff walking together. Word is that's where a lot of Epic's future got decided.

Cliff may be a loudmouthed dink, but he gave us some great games. He gets blamed for bad art style (I can't defend some of the characters in the middle UT games, but I still say GoW makes perfect sense when you meet the Art Director, and I never found that art style bad at all) - he definitely shaped what Epic was. So did quite a few others that followed him out.

I really wonder what Epic is now. I think a lot of people there do the same.

He did make some great games. I do so love the UT series, all of them.

What is Epic now? One thing, I am not impressed with what I've seen with UT4. They had a chance to really go outside the box on this, and it looks like they're just remaking UT3.

I don't know if there's a strong design voice left in the company. Lee Perry, Rod Ferguson and Cliff all left. Many others went with them. I don't know if the design team backfilled, or had good people waiting to rise and take control.

I say it often, and it's my second time to say it today, but I love seeing a strong company with all the tools that has a huge gap and thinking about how I'd fill it. I think Epic is just ripe for someone that loves games and knows how to get things done to come in and completely retool the company. Of course I think I'd kill at that, but I'd guess most people do.
It's basically what Mike Capps did, and he's another guy they lost. He was so quietly responsible for them becoming what they are.

-------------

20. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 14:21 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 14:03:
It's funny that he mentions Tim liking to walk. It used to be that, if you drove past Epic in the early evening, you were guaranteed to see Tim and Cliff walking together. Word is that's where a lot of Epic's future got decided.

Cliff may be a loudmouthed dink, but he gave us some great games. He gets blamed for bad art style (I can't defend some of the characters in the middle UT games, but I still say GoW makes perfect sense when you meet the Art Director, and I never found that art style bad at all) - he definitely shaped what Epic was. So did quite a few others that followed him out.

He did make some great games. I do so love the UT series, all of them.

What is Epic now? One thing, I am not impressed with what I've seen with UT4. They had a chance to really go outside the box on this, and it looks like they're just remaking UT3.

19. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 14:16 jdreyer

WaltC wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 09:56:
The gist of it is:

I wanted more money. I didn't get it. So I quit.

Asked about his many embarrassing PC comments over the years. Silence. (At least through as much of it as I could stomach.)

This is most definitely a case of someone who is a legend in his own mind, and if things don't work out--hey, it's not gonna' be *his* fault.

EF

I may have posted this already, but he was interviewed by Aisha Tyler a few years ago on her podcast. The interview basically boiled down to Cliffy saying "I gots munnies, and it's AWESOME!!!"

18. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 14:03 Beamer

-------------

17. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 13:22 Seventyfive

5 v 5 FPS Moba wannabe? I'm sure it will be filled with the same kind of upstanding solo queue players I find in League of Legends. And I just love matchmaking. Central planning worked out great for Soviet Russia, why not bring it to our videogames? What could go wrong?

16. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 13:15 ASeven

I like how he completely avoided any question about his treatment of PC gamers in the past, like a true douchebag.

More people should have pressed that issue on him in the AMA, if only to see what his hilarious response would be.

15. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 12:53 Primalchrome

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 11:46:
I remember reading that magazine, I might still have my copy somewhere.
I remember picking up that issue for no other reason than to find out what silliness KillCreek was up to.

14. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 12:15 Beamer

Did he throw Dana under the bus?  
-------------

13. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 11:46 SpectralMeat

warmbluelasers wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 10:44:
The image of that PC Gamer cover just popped into my mind. That worked out so well for all involved...

For anyone else who the link 403's on: link

I remember getting this one in the mail and thinking "who are these clowns?"

In 14 years my reaction hasn't changed.
I remember reading that magazine, I might still have my copy somewhere.

Steam: SpectralMeat

12. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 11:31 Verno

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 10:58:
Verno wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 10:23:
I try not to be petty about these things because a fun game is awesome no matter who makes it but he was a pretty ridiculous asshat to PC gamers over the years. Free or not there are so many ways to spend leisure time these days, he is going to have to do better in the PR department if he wants people interested.

He joked on Twitter the other day that he should totally hire Phil Fish to run PR for him. I would personally love that, just to watch the incredible train wreck that would ensue.

CliffyB + Phil Fish + DEREK SMART get together to make a F2P Mario Allstars clone.

I would totally play it.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

11. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 11:19 nin

warmbluelasers wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 10:44:

For anyone else who the link 403's on: link

Thank you - it worked the first time (hence my linking it) but once I F5'd (after seeing your post), it tanked...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo