Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Humble 2K Bundle

"BioShock for a penny, plus more games in the Humble 2K Bundle" announces Humble Mumble in introducing the Humble 2K Bundle, which offers BioShock; The Bureau: XCOM Declassified; and The Darkness II for whatever price you choose, though a one dollar minimum is required to receive Steam keys. Customers can add BioShock 2; Mafia II; and Spec Ops: The Line for beating the average price paid, and paying a minimum of $20.00 will also add XCOM: Enemy Unknown and BioShock Infinite to the package. They claim that the full price for all these games would be $209.00, noting that buying the bundle helps charity as well as your wallet.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 13, 2014, 22:53 Jerykk

Bioshock 2 isn't exactly an underdog, but it's my personal favorite (edging out Infinite) since it has the best shooter mechanics in the series and a unique and driving plot.

Eh? I thought Infinite had better combat than Bioshock 1 and 2. How was Bioshock 2's combat any better than the first game's?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 9, 2014, 17:20 Mark

Squirmer wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 01:13:
I am a hollow shell because I have donated all my internal organs to those in need, and I exist now only in the online ether.
lol, you win the thread

21. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 9, 2014, 13:22 Nut

I'm possibly preaching to the choir here, but anyone picking this up should pay special attention to The Darkness II and Bioshock 2.

The Darkness II is a bit niche and a bit of an underdog but really a lovely game if it is your cup of tea (complex shooter mechanics mixed with impressive art direction and decent heavy narrative).

Bioshock 2 isn't exactly an underdog, but it's my personal favorite (edging out Infinite) since it has the best shooter mechanics in the series and a unique and driving plot.

I love the entire Bioshock franchise, but Bioshock 2 is special and oddly underrated for being a great game in a headliner series. The Darkness II is great but a bit niche.

20. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 9, 2014, 04:11 jdreyer

There are grifter charities, who spend 90% of the money they make on overhead (like six figure salaries for everyone. Free moneh! Woohoo!), and only 10% doing the charitable work they claim. One example is the Kids Wish Network which uses a mere 3% of the money it takes in on the charitable work. The remaining 97% goes to expenses, spent on what exactly? Who knows where it goes.

The Red Cross and Action Against Hunger (the ones in the Humble Bundle) are a couple of the more efficient. The Red Cross spends only about 10% of it's intake on overhead and fundraising. Action Against Hunger is slightly less efficent at 14% overhead and fundraising.

Yes the Red Cross president make half a mil annual salary. That's probably a bit too high, but on the other hand she's running a $2 billion with a "B" dollar charity. You need someone with experience in that position, and they're still at 90% efficiency. As for the silliness of "Don't give to any charity that is paying salaries to people, for starters," you don't run a $2B charity on nights and weekends. It requires full time employees that deserve to get paid. As long as you can maintain an 80%-90% efficiency, that should be good enough. Under that though, should raise suspicions, although not always. Girl Scouts is only 57% efficient, because all those cookies sales don't count as charities but as sale of goods.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 9, 2014, 03:25 jdreyer

I get what Beam's saying. Usually I go 50/50. And given that bundles are usually Indie games I feel that the actual developers get the money in those cases, as opposed to a big publisher (although perhaps that's a poor assumption on my part?).

In this case, I feel Squirmer is probably right, and none of the money will make it to the actual creators, just to the publisher. In that case, it all depends on how you feel about the role of publishers in the industry. Also, when a big publisher puts its games up for charity, it's probably okay to take them at their word, and donate the entire amount to charity. You know at the end of the 2 weeks they're going to crow about how they raised so much for charity, and they'll use the entire amount spent, regardless of what % went to them, and what % actually went to charity.

18. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 9, 2014, 03:13 jacobvandy

Many of them are, but not all... Do your research. Every legit charity has to file detailed tax reports, which are public record. Don't give to any charity that is paying salaries to people, for starters.  

17. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 9, 2014, 03:00 NeOCidE

An elderly woman over here in the UK recently died leaving the care of her beloved dog and 100,000 to the RSPCA. The charity put the dog down and kept the money.

A good friend of mine worked for the Samaritans. Upon counting up, the managers kept the printed money and left the coins for the charity.

Moral of this story: Charities are as corrupt as the best of them

Trent Reznor - Atticus Ross an incredible team.

16. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 9, 2014, 01:13 Squirmer

I am a hollow shell because I have donated all my internal organs to those in need, and I exist now only in the online ether.  

15. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 9, 2014, 00:07 Beamer

Squirmer wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 23:15:
I'd rather give my money to a charity than a big videogame publisher, but that's because I'm not an awful person.

You could always, you know, do both? Pay the $1 for the game and then give $10 to charity?

I'm assuming, given how you talk, you give charity often. You give when the supermarket asks to donate a dollar. You give when they call. You give unsolicited.
Because charity seems to be the most important thing to you.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 9, 2014, 00:06 Alamar

Squirmer wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 23:51:
That's what I'm saying. Beamer's heart is bleeding for the large corporate body that's missing out on cash, whereas I'm suggesting that charities are more deserving of the money. I think we need to question Beamer's motive here.

Money given to a charity has about as much chance getting to someone needy, as money going to a publisher getting to a developer ; )

-Alamar

13. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 9, 2014, 00:06 Beamer

Squirmer wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 23:51:
That's what I'm saying. Beamer's heart is bleeding for the large corporate body that's missing out on cash, whereas I'm suggesting that charities are more deserving of the money. I think we need to question Beamer's motive here.

Did you just call me a bleeding heart... conservative?

No, I'm just saying, thinking the best part of getting super cheap games that will give you hours of enjoyment is that you don't need to reward those responsible is... odd. I mean, even if you think no one involved deserves a dime for the hours of enjoyment you're about to get, wouldn't those hours of enjoyment for next to nothing still be the best part?

-------------

12. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 8, 2014, 23:51 Squirmer

11. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 8, 2014, 23:22 jamiedj99

you can choose how much goes to each in the end you could make pretty much all of it go to a charity  

10. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 8, 2014, 23:15 Squirmer

I'd rather give my money to a charity than a big videogame publisher, but that's because I'm not an awful person.  

9. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 8, 2014, 22:56 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 21:33:
Squirmer wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 20:52:
Best part is you can give all the money to charity and zero to 2K.

So the best part of getting three or six games, for next to nothing, is that you can actually give the developers that made them nothing?

To be fair, none of the developers will see any money from any of these games even if you buy them each at full price. It's extremely rare for developers to see any royalties when dealing with publishers, especially from bundle sales.

8. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 8, 2014, 22:41 Cutter

Yeah, I originally grabbed the CE of Bioshock for the Big Daddy statue and I don't even know where my disc is so I'll grab this. Plus I wanted to give Bureau a whirl anyway.

Edit: And done. Think I'll give Mafia 2 another playthrough.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2014, 23:04.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

7. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 8, 2014, 21:33 Beamer

Squirmer wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 20:52:

So the best part of getting three or six games, for next to nothing, is that you can actually give the developers that made them nothing?

-------------

6. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 8, 2014, 21:03 jdreyer

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 20:50:
Just put in $6 to beat the average and see what they add later... I'm guessing Civ V.

That's what I was thinking. They'll add Civ 5 at some point. It would be too much to ask them to also throw in Enemy Within. Although, not throwing in DLC or expansions would jibe with the central strategy here: give the main games away and keep the price of the DLC high to make money.

I'll pick this up though. My Bioshock is over on D2D, so it will be good to get it on Steam. Don't have BS2, Mafia 2, Darkness 2, the Bureau, or Spec Ops. I've got Spec Ops and the Bureau on my wish list, so this is a no brainer for me. And no need to go the $20 level, since I already have BS:I and XCom.

I almost always give $10 for Humble Bundles.

5. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 8, 2014, 20:52 Squirmer

4. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 8, 2014, 20:50 jacobvandy

Just put in $6 to beat the average and see what they add later... I'm guessing Civ V.  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo