Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak

A tweet from Cliff Bleszinski follows up on his tease last week with the announcement of a free-to-play sci-fi shooter for PCs codenamed Blue Streak, also confirming the nameski of his new company is Boss Key. The former Epic designer follows saying "there won't be a fake CG trailer showing 'Gameplay' because that's not how @bosskey does it," to expect answers tomorrow to questions about the various choices he made here ("F2P, PC, Nexon, Not a MOBA, etc..."), and his reaction to the reaction to the news. In the meantime, you can sign up to stay informed about this through the Boss Key Productions website.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 12:56 jdreyer

@ Beam & Seph, you guys did see the scare quotes, right? They're games in the modern sense, but not in the traditional sense, like chess or football. Narrative based games are a modern construct. They're great, and I love them, but sometimes I want to play a computer version of a soccer game or a game of go.

Or let me try this a different way: which do you prefer: the BF 4 single player campaign, or the multiplayer game? Obviously people put a lot more time into the multiplayer. I to play THOSE games, but I don't want to have to deal with 63 other humans all the time. The campaign is a completely different experience.

If you'd read the rest of my post, I explained that?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 11:24 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 10:55:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 03:12:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 19:54:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 04:30:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 01:17:

You should try the F2P "Loadout". Very solid weapons and netcode/feel IMO.

I thought Loadout looked pretty cool. However, there's no way to play single player, and coop matches seem to force 4 humans Vs. 4 AI (I have little desire or time to play compet multiplayer)? No way to have bots on your team?

Haven't looked into it but my guess would be no. I know there are tons of people on Blue's who insist on having bots in what are normally online MP games but that's something that I don't personally understand. If you want SP, play a Half-Life or Bioshock style FPS.
Quake, CS, UT, BF, Titanfall... that's for MP.

Half Life 2 and BS: Infinite are great, but they're not "games" ...

I didn't make it any further.

Yeah, I don't know what he was going for there, unless he puts the word "competitive" in front of it.

I mean, HL2 and BS:Infinite are interactive sci-fi movie styled games, but absolutely still games. Two of my favorite. I get every single criticism about BSI, particularly that it felt a bit throwback in a bad way and that most of its message seems lost in the diediekilleverything gameplay, but the game was still a blast and I don't see a way to avoid the second part without a game being boring, so yeah, I loved it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 10:55 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 03:12:

I thought Loadout looked pretty cool. However, there's no way to play single player, and coop matches seem to force 4 humans Vs. 4 AI (I have little desire or time to play compet multiplayer)? No way to have bots on your team?

Haven't looked into it but my guess would be no. I know there are tons of people on Blue's who insist on having bots in what are normally online MP games but that's something that I don't personally understand. If you want SP, play a Half-Life or Bioshock style FPS.

Half Life 2 and BS: Infinite are great, but they're not "games" ...

I didn't make it any further.

26. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 03:12 jdreyer

Half Life 2 and BS: Infinite are great, but they're not "games" per se, they're interactive Sci Fi movies. UT, Quake, multiplayer BF and CoD are GAMES: there are objectives, there are points, there's progression, there's a winning team and a losing team (or players). I don't always want to play with exclusively human players. I like the ability to play offline alone, or with one or two other friends, either coop or versus. You can arrange it whenever you want, you don't have to deal with foulmouthed twelve year olds, you can learn the game offline, etc. etc. It's a blast playing the BF2 mod AIX with two of you in an Apache (or Abrams), one as gunner, the other as pilot, blasting the shit out of stuff while 62 other AI soldiers are running around doing their thing. It feels epic.

25. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 9, 2014, 19:54 Sepharo

24. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 9, 2014, 15:10 Timmeh

yep just downloaded and tried Combat Arms again. Still fun and still a hackfest :-)

Looks like they have added a couple cool new MMOs also. Definitely going to try them.

23. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 9, 2014, 11:45 Timmeh

There is no way the game flops. Its going to be a huge international hit and make millions upon millions of dollars.

I played Nexon's Combat Arms, another free to play military style fps for a couple of years. It was great fun. It still has a ton of players. Nexon knows what they are doing in the Free to Play Market. They have a variety of games and make a bucket ton of money.

Cliffy knows how to make a good FPS and is a great level designer. I wager Blue Streak will be a lot like Unreal Tournament old school. It will end up with a million players world wide Just wait and see.

22. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 9, 2014, 07:43 NetHead

Since it's Free To Play, I wonder where he will point the finger should this flop, since the piracy scapegoat won't be an option.

21. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 9, 2014, 04:30 jdreyer

20. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 9, 2014, 04:21 jdreyer

Timmeh wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 00:51:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 15:24:
Showing CliffyB has completed his journey to the dark side of focusing on making money instead of making great games. Blue Streak will fly into the ocean and sink.

You can make money and make great games. Those things are not exclusive.

Oh, for sure. Skyrim is probably the preeminent example. But when you go free to play, you're putting the cart before the horse. "Build it, and they will come" should be the motto, not "Force them to come, then milk them."

19. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 9, 2014, 01:17 Sepharo

BobBob wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 19:01:
If Mr. Bleszinski reads this ...

My advice / opinion:

Make sure it has a series of hit-scan weapons with anti-lag. Splash damage weapons are acceptable but should be not the primary choice otherwise the game gets spammy. I know my terminology is dated. Focus on players developing skill vs. everyone can play it. If you promote the skilled players (prizes, sponsorship, tournaments, etc.), others will follow them as mentors. Make it a fun yet difficult game to master (UT / Quake). This way it will last a long time and stand-out from all the overly amateur friendly games out there.

Also, an unconditional no cheating policy is really important. Some kind of PunkBuster technology will be useful, accompanied by an adequate global or regional reporting system.

Other than that, it would be cool if people could run their own servers (allowing maps and mods), but as this is 'free to play', I don't know if that can work.

Good luck!

18. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 9, 2014, 00:51 Timmeh

jdreyer wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 15:24:
Showing CliffyB has completed his journey to the dark side of focusing on making money instead of making great games. Blue Streak will fly into the ocean and sink.

You can make money and make great games. Those things are not exclusive.

17. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 8, 2014, 21:16 ViRGE

Bleh. I don't harbor any ill will towards CliffyB, but I can't get behind F2P. It's almost always done wrong, in a manner that sacrifices gameplay for profits.  

16. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 8, 2014, 20:57 xXBatmanXx

HAY LOOK AT ME

-CliffyB

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

15. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 8, 2014, 20:08 Total-Khaos

Blue Streak? More like Brown Streak...in my pants.  

14. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 8, 2014, 20:01 bigspender

I've just announced a game too, its gonna be the coolest thing you guys have played trust me.

Oh but i don't a trailer either.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

13. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 8, 2014, 19:16 007Bistromath

So, when do you guys think the fake CG trailer showing "gameplay" will come out?  

12. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 8, 2014, 19:01 BobBob

If Mr. Bleszinski reads this ...

My advice / opinion:

Make sure it has a series of hit-scan weapons with anti-lag. Splash damage weapons are acceptable but should be not the primary choice otherwise the game gets spammy. I know my terminology is dated. Focus on players developing skill vs. everyone can play it. If you promote the skilled players (prizes, sponsorship, tournaments, etc.), others will follow them as mentors. Make it a fun yet difficult game to master (UT / Quake). This way it will last a long time and stand-out from all the overly amateur friendly games out there.

Also, an unconditional no cheating policy is really important. Some kind of PunkBuster technology will be useful, accompanied by an adequate global or regional reporting system.

Other than that, it would be cool if people could run their own servers (allowing maps and mods), but as this is 'free to play', I don't know if that can work.

Good luck!

11. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 8, 2014, 18:20 Beamer

Ray Marden wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 17:57:
Ehhh...why all the hype for yet another F2P title? A strange turn from the guy that brought the industry all things overly beefy and hunkering behind walls.
Can I just pay somebody $60.00 for a good, deep game?
Really hoping this is more than F2P trash,
Ray

The chest high walls are his fault, but the all things overly beefy would be due to Chris Perna, the GoW Art Director. It's hard to fault Chris, though:
http://images.lazygamer.net/2011/05/WickedWorkshop.jpg

He seriously designed all the characters in his image. The man looks exactly like any male in GoW.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 8, 2014, 18:17 Cutter

The guy really is just a ginormous douchenozzle isn't he?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo