Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's accounting of the bestselling games on Steam last week:

1. Divinity: Original Sin
  2. Wolfenstein: The New Order
  3. PAYDAY 2
  4. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  5. DayZ
  6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition
  7. Dark Souls II
  8. Sid Meier's Civilization V The Complete Edition
  9. Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition
  10. Space Engineers

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 10, 2014, 09:48 Quinn

OpticNerve wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 04:59:
Quinn wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 04:05:
I do recommend everyone to start with a male and female companion. My only regret regarding the builds is that I chose 2 males. Impulsive Rogue & Wise old Cleric, I liked the roleplay idea. Some companion dialogue is obviously meant for a male&female relationship.

Also, is there any way to change portraits? I made a dumb mistake regarding the Cleric portrait. The portrait doesn't have a goatie! :O

Not 100% sure but I think you can change your portrait when you respec later on. Someone here further along in the game might know for sure.

Thanks, and yes you can change the portraits at some point when you've unlocked the third portal at The End of Time!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2014, 04:59 OpticNerve

Quinn wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 04:05:
I do recommend everyone to start with a male and female companion. My only regret regarding the builds is that I chose 2 males. Impulsive Rogue & Wise old Cleric, I liked the roleplay idea. Some companion dialogue is obviously meant for a male&female relationship.

Also, is there any way to change portraits? I made a dumb mistake regarding the Cleric portrait. The portrait doesn't have a goatie! :O

Not 100% sure but I think you can change your portrait when you respec later on. Someone here further along in the game might know for sure.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2014, 05:53.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2014, 04:05 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 20:10 nin

fiftykyu wrote on Jul 7, 2014, 19:30:
Ok, heard too many good things from everyone, finally broke down and bought Divinity: Original Sin. Don't remember any of the older games, so either I never played them or it was so long ago I forgot. Hope no previous knowledge is necessary to enjoy this one!

Please keep us posted, always looking for more opinions - Thanks!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 19:57 OpticNerve

fiftykyu wrote on Jul 7, 2014, 19:30:
Ok, heard too many good things from everyone, finally broke down and bought Divinity: Original Sin. Don't remember any of the older games, so either I never played them or it was so long ago I forgot. Hope no previous knowledge is necessary to enjoy this one!
Original Sin is supposedly a prequel so no knowledge of the other games are needed.

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 19:30 fiftykyu

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 17:19 OpticNerve

Some combat tips I've discovered with my play-throughs:

- Don't underestimate barrels. If one of your characters is strong enough, they can actually loot and save various water or oil barrels to toss or place in battle to set up an elemental combo. You can loot candles too (hint, hint).

- Mages are OP simply because they can trigger devastating elemental field combos. Lay down an oil field and light them all on fire with a fireball. Blood also acts as water so bleed them if you're a witch or warrior and electrocute them. There are even some multi-trigger elemental combos that you can do that'll pretty much devastate the enemy group.

- Remember that you can flee in battle, so don't be afraid to flee and tackle that group of enemies later when you're better equipped or skilled.

- Try to get a well-rounded team going. So far there are only two Companions (basically henchmen with voices) but the hireable Henchmen are just as good.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 11:20 HorrorScope

InBlack wrote on Jul 7, 2014, 03:43:
Axis wrote on Jul 6, 2014, 21:44:
Looks like Cutter got to the part where he actually needs to think about encounters. This, assuming he actually thought about his character builds. And since he didn't go lonewolf, this also assumes he has enlisted the two henchmen which makes encounters pretty easy.

Bit too much thinking for him, looks like he's screwed. We'll hear nothing but bitching from him from here on out... not that that's unusual.

Thats really unfair Axis. THe game is HARD. HARD as fuck. I hired the two mercs (are they Mercs? We are talking about Jahan and that crazy warrior mage lady right?), solved Jake's murder and proceded to the hideout. Im lvl 3. Cant get past the second undead army (I dont know what else to call it). Three undead archers, undead priest, and 6 undead swordsmen. I reloaded that encounter like 20 times. The fucking undead priest keeps bringing back the guys I strike down. If I go for him, the archers use fire and ice arrows to destroy my party. At this point Im about to reroll my chars so I can POWERGAME because fuck it there is no way to proceed....

Here is the typical user exp so far for D:OS.

Game has no pointers on where to go, all systems are new.

You get your ass handed to you.

You get mad.

You quit or learn at this point.

If you press on, you know to look at mob-level before getting too close. You get better each fight, you get more skills as you level. In a little while you're smearing the game because there are so many killer options on "how do I want to fuck with the AI this time?".

From my exp is was just that, but I wouldn't be so self-centered to think that would be for most. It is from reading many posts from others on what happened to them. It's a very common theme.

Tips: Stay in town and do as much as you can there, under-town to. Then go out the west gate to the light house, from there you'll learn all the ropes well enough and can manage from there.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 10:38 Quinn

InBlack wrote on Jul 7, 2014, 03:43:
Looks like Cutter got to the part where he actually needs to think about encounters. This, assuming he actually thought about his character builds. And since he didn't go lonewolf, this also assumes he has enlisted the two henchmen which makes encounters pretty easy.

Bit too much thinking for him, looks like he's screwed. We'll hear nothing but bitching from him from here on out... not that that's unusual.

Thats really unfair Axis. THe game is HARD. HARD as fuck. I hired the two mercs (are they Mercs? We are talking about Jahan and that crazy warrior mage lady right?), solved Jake's murder and proceded to the hideout. Im lvl 3. Cant get past the second undead army (I dont know what else to call it). Three undead archers, undead priest, and 6 undead swordsmen. I reloaded that encounter like 20 times. The fucking undead priest keeps bringing back the guys I strike down. If I go for him, the archers use fire and ice arrows to destroy my party. At this point Im about to reroll my chars so I can POWERGAME because fuck it there is no way to proceed....

The hell? I think I was lvl 5 or 6 when I got to that part of the game. The key here, InBlack, is to explore the northwest outside a bit. Don't forget the lighthouse either. You'll get lots of XP clearing the woods and even some quests to finish.

I'm having a very easy time with my 4 champs.
1 rogue
1 cleric
1 water/air mage
1 2h warrior
My rogue has a bizarre amount of AP. His backstabs only cost 2 ap and did a minimal of 30 damage per attack early on on skeletons, and even more on fleshy enemies. Now he's... well, the Reaper. My cleric can heal, tank and stun. My mage can heal, do massive damage and do all kinds of stuns. My warrior is a monster once she gets to swing her 2hander. I'm almost sad to say my team seems to be perfectly balanced. I'm a reroll fanatic normally :'(

PS: This warm, fuzzy feeling? I know exactly how that feels. To me, this is a characteristic of turn-based games. I had the same feeling when I started up HoM&M, for example, as I lid up my cigar, sat back and actually truly relaxed.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2014, 10:50.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 09:58 InBlack

Verno wrote on Jul 7, 2014, 09:22:
OpticNerve wrote on Jul 7, 2014, 07:11:
Just to let everyone know, you'll eventually find a way to reroll characters in-game for a cheap cost. The only downside is that you lose the spells/skills that you've learnt and have to get/buy those books again.

The problem with that is how terrible the book system is. Vendors only reroll their stock of books on level up and you aren't guaranteed to see the book you want. There are a lot of little oddities like that in the game which make you wonder what they were thinking. Why do party members have individual gold stocks by the way? I mean I get throwback stuff but some modern design concessions make sense and save the player having to do tedious crap. Speaking of tedious, the inventory and crafting systems are comically bad. When I have the inventory open and I select a different character it should open that characters inventory.

I like the game a lot but it has a lot of design flaws as well, I hope mods can alleviate some of them. Gonna take a look at the editor this weekend. Larian really needs to hire some new UI people, this has been a constant problem that has dogged their games over the years.

The actual combat difficulty is more related to being outnumbered constantly than anything else, the AI is actually very bad. Where the game is more intelligent is puzzle solving and the ability to improvise solutions.

Well said Verno. With that said, I get this great warm fuzzy feeling whenever I think about the game or play the game. Im getting it now. Warts and all, I havent been this excited about a game since, I dunno, the original Baldur's Gate?

I have a nifty blue line!

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 09:22 Verno

OpticNerve wrote on Jul 7, 2014, 07:11:
Just to let everyone know, you'll eventually find a way to reroll characters in-game for a cheap cost. The only downside is that you lose the spells/skills that you've learnt and have to get/buy those books again.

The problem with that is how terrible the book system is. Vendors only reroll their stock of books on level up and you aren't guaranteed to see the book you want. There are a lot of little oddities like that in the game which make you wonder what they were thinking. Why do party members have individual gold stocks by the way? I mean I get throwback stuff but some modern design concessions make sense and save the player having to do tedious crap. Speaking of tedious, the inventory and crafting systems are comically bad. When I have the inventory open and I select a different character it should open that characters inventory.

I like the game a lot but it has a lot of design flaws as well, I hope mods can alleviate some of them. Gonna take a look at the editor this weekend. Larian really needs to hire some new UI people, this has been a constant problem that has dogged their games over the years.

The actual combat difficulty is more related to being outnumbered constantly than anything else, the AI is actually very bad. Where the game is more intelligent is puzzle solving and the ability to improvise solutions.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2014, 08:50 LgFriess

I've had my butt kicked many times by the game. I love it! Beyond the tutorial dungeon, and a few encounters where I only had one enemy, every fight has been at least challenging and rewarding to win. I'm running with 2 mercs too.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2014, 08:09 Mashiki Amiketo

G2a.com has Divinity:OS up for $30 right now as well. Not too shabby.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 07:11 OpticNerve

I will say that the game can be unexpectedly hard at times and is a bit more punishing due to all the variables and quirks that make the game great. But that's part of the fun and makes finding builds that work much more satisfying (I'm loving my modified 2h Knight/Hydro/Witch build with his Leech trait - If I can't heal myself, I just bleed em' all and let their blood soothe my wounds muhaha).

I do recommend modifying the premade classes since there's a ton of depth there with the builds, skills and traits. The premades pretty much only decide what starting gear you get since you can customize them and create your own defining class. If you wanted to make a glass-cannon, 2h-wielding, armored mage, you could easily do that by picking Knight and just customizing him just with INT and mage spells. He might end up blowing balls or maybe he'll let you roflstomp your way through the game on hard mode with ease. That's what makes this game's customizable class system great IMO.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2014, 07:27.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 06:26 InBlack

harlock wrote on Jul 7, 2014, 06:07:
its challenging but i dont know about "HARD!".. you have to think tactically, you cant just stand there in a crowd and expect to win.. ive only got 1 follower (the warrior chick) plus my main wizard and shadowblade.. and in fact i only hired her after level 7

in the early parts i kited the enemies around a lot, drew some back to town so guards can fight too..

but like i said you have to use tactical maneuvering, like retreating then attacking, move behind stuff to break their line of sight, etc.. you cant just stand around like a dumbass and duke it out with 2 vs 8 or whatever

but at this point my guys are just murdering dudes left and right.. with these 3 guys at lvl 10, i destroyed the entire goblin force on the way to the mine - even the parts where you are supposed to avoid them, i just moved in and killed them all.. and they were all lvl 12 guys... just move crates and other stuff to block them in, use exploding barrels and all that

but yeh, my wizard is a fucking beast.. i think thats pretty key actually

make sure everyone has high mobility.. as in fast movement rate as well as a bunch of AP

Yeah I get all the tactical and environmental stuff thats required. I 'majored' in Fallout2 and BG after all

I have to admit it didnt occur to me to kite the enemies back to the city gates although I did try pretty much every other trick there is including bugging them out at a chokepoint. At this point I dont believe it will make much difference. Im convinced that since I picked premade chars (Knight, and Wizard) I gimped myself with regards to skill choice, abilites etc.

Reroll time... *sigh*

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 06:07 harlock

its challenging but i dont know about "HARD!".. you have to think tactically, you cant just stand there in a crowd and expect to win.. ive only got 1 follower (the warrior chick) plus my main wizard and shadowblade.. and in fact i only hired her after level 7

in the early parts i kited the enemies around a lot, drew some back to town so guards can fight too..

but like i said you have to use tactical maneuvering, like retreating then attacking, move behind stuff to break their line of sight, etc.. you cant just stand around like a dumbass and duke it out with 2 vs 8 or whatever

but at this point my guys are just murdering dudes left and right.. with these 3 guys at lvl 10, i destroyed the entire goblin force on the way to the mine - even the parts where you are supposed to avoid them, i just moved in and killed them all.. and they were all lvl 12 guys... just move crates and other stuff to block them in, use exploding barrels and all that

but yeh, my wizard is a fucking beast.. i think thats pretty key actually

make sure everyone has high mobility.. as in fast movement rate as well as a bunch of AP

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 03:43 InBlack

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2014, 04:58.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 02:20 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2014, 17:58:
I find a lot of the combat encounters to be really unbalanced and aggravating so far. It's more grinding than fun at this point. I don't think 1SP per level cuts it. Makes things far too slow. And the UI still needs a lot to be desired - sticky windows, stackable hotbars, etc.

Have you hired any mercenaries yet? I was having trouble until I hired two, then things got a lot easier. Also, mages are pretty much mandatory for crowd control. That's pretty standard for party-based RPGs.

Also, some of the complaints about D:OS are the same nearly every turn-based game has. Blackguards, POR2, Wiz8, ToEE...especially the targeting swaying enemies thing. I can't tell you how many times I've flubbed up rounds in ToEE because I clicked the floor instead of a stunned enemy. It's really hard to avoid that kind of stuff when your commands are required to be confirmed by clicking on something that is only a few pixels wide.

There are ways you can minimize that. Toning down the idle and fidget animations so there's less swaying, for example. Also, it looks like the characters in D:OS have very accurate collision, which seems unnecessary in a game like this. A simple collision box would work just fine and make it much easier to target things.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2014, 02:58.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 6, 2014, 23:19 Axis

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 6, 2014, 21:53:

He liked it for 15 minutes so that is as good as an endorsement as one can get! He's the "Mikey" of video games.

Axis, as much as I like it, there is no doubt it will still become much better as they polish this up. Even with the delays there was still a rush part about it, but they pretty much had to. What is cool is even as is, it is better than most and for the style of game it is, there isn't even any competition at this time.

Ya I agree HS, looking forward to where it's going to go, and I just can't stop playing the damn game - last one that hooked me like this was NwN, thought I was just getting old... that was one hellova long dry spell. So glad it just keeps selling and sellin, been top on the steam charts for awhile now.

Yours truly,

Axis

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 6, 2014, 21:53 HorrorScope

He liked it for 15 minutes so that is as good as an endorsement as one can get! He's the "Mikey" of video games.

Axis, as much as I like it, there is no doubt it will still become much better as they polish this up. Even with the delays there was still a rush part about it, but they pretty much had to. What is cool is even as is, it is better than most and for the style of game it is, there isn't even any competition at this time.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo