Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 4, 2014, 15:28 Agent.X7

UHD wrote on Jul 4, 2014, 12:46:
Ahahahaha "wahh women can have women-only things why can't men have men-only things wahh JUST LET BOYS BE BOYS abloobloobloo"

You have got to be kidding me.

Fucking Hearthstone isn't a manly game for manly people that demands only men play. Neither is Dota or Starcraft. Video games aren't inherently manly or whatever the hell.

If you want a men's only tournament, go make an explicitly men's only tournament, ignore the criticism and scorn of the world at large, and enjoy your sausagefest. Meanwhile eSports will make an attempt, however ham-fisted, to be all-inclusive and be a better thing for it.

Incidentally, there's ladies nights at bars because that brings women into the bar when they otherwise wouldn't bother. You don't need a men's night at a bar because men don't need the extra incentive.

Yeah, no.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 4, 2014, 12:46 UHD

Ahahahaha "wahh women can have women-only things why can't men have men-only things wahh JUST LET BOYS BE BOYS abloobloobloo"

You have got to be kidding me.

Fucking Hearthstone isn't a manly game for manly people that demands only men play. Neither is Dota or Starcraft. Video games aren't inherently manly or whatever the hell.

If you want a men's only tournament, go make an explicitly men's only tournament, ignore the criticism and scorn of the world at large, and enjoy your sausagefest. Meanwhile eSports will make an attempt, however ham-fisted, to be all-inclusive and be a better thing for it.

Incidentally, there's ladies nights at bars because that brings women into the bar when they otherwise wouldn't bother. You don't need a men's night at a bar because men don't need the extra incentive.

21. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 4, 2014, 00:51 Redmask

Beamer wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 22:28:
Women usually want to attract women, so most female-only tournaments are thrown, you know, by women.

Great, they can have a grand time then and I'm sure the world will keep spinning after some guys throw their own.

20. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 22:28 Beamer

Redmask wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 20:19:
Beamer wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 19:34:
They aren't made to feel welcome, instead they're patronized and treated like garbage. So a tournament just for them is a safe space to attract them into the hobby.

That entire post is like a buzzword collage from a feminist. 'aggro' 'welcome' 'safe'. Tournaments are competitive environments and I don't really care about 'attracting' women, hell much of the time when I'm gaming I'm actually dodging my woman. They can get into it if they want and otherwise I don't care its a hobby for fucks sake. Male and female interests diverge heavily in too many areas to list, we can't all do the same shit and shouldn't be trying to convert each other all the time.

There are hundreds of female centric activities that I am precluded from participating in through social stigmatization or even outright exclusion and I'm ok with that so long as they're ok not being invited to every male centric event that exists just for the sake of it. Men and women are different and that's okay.

Women usually want to attract women, so most female-only tournaments are thrown, you know, by women.

What female-centric activities can you not do that you want to, out of curiosity? Which would subject you to dealing with people that treat you the way Cutter treats women?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 22:00 Agent.X7

InBlack wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 10:52:
UHD wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 10:26:
Do not understand gender segregation in video game competition.

Okay actually that's a lie, I understand it completely: the people in charge, and sadly most of the competitive community at large, are sexist idiots. Like that one dumb bastard that insisted sexism was part of the culture and 'this isn't North Korea, I can say what I want' then followed it up with leering at one of the competitors through a camera.

It had nothing to do with sexism, unless you count regular sport gender segregation as sexist.

However their new segregation rules "Open for All" and "Women's Only" is definitively sexist. Not to mention retarded.

Same shit, different day.

I see all sorts of women only events all the time. You put up a men only event, people lose their shit.

Edited to say: Ladies night. Bar I worked at. Woman asked me why we didn't have one. I asked why we shouldn't have a men's night instead. "Men's night," she scoffed. "Every night is men's night."
"Bull. Shit. Lady," I said. "Every night is lady's night. When is the last time some guy bought you a drink? No, don't answer. I see you in here every night getting free drinks. When's the last time you bought a guy a drink?"
"Well, it doesn't work that way."
"Uh huh, and that's why every night is lady's night. Pay for your drink and let me serve the next customer."

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2014, 22:20.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

18. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 3, 2014, 21:50 UConnBBall

DM the streamer was complains about MOBAs in general and about having to finish playing the game when you know it is over. He won it actually but continued to just be miserable and making fun of viewers.

ME "When does the entertaining streamer start."

LIFE TIME BAN

DM is well known to just be a cranky jerk most of the time. So if that is offically okay I don't want to be apart of their community.

17. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 21:17 Redmask

Like you said nothing at all and got banned? Or you think the text you did say wasn't a big deal but you got banned? There is a big difference between those.  

16. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 3, 2014, 21:02 UConnBBall

Smite: I got banned from their official Twitch.tv channel for nothing. I have never been banned from anything ever.

I stopped playing Smite and stopped giving them money when I got nothing from their Community Manager.

Streamer was DM seriously a negative person.

15. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 3, 2014, 21:01 UConnBBall

Current MOBA with nicest player base:

Infinite Crisis (DC Comic Universe)
Strife (From S2 makers of HoN) It is closed BETA still

Both seem to attract different kind of crowd.

14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 20:19 Redmask

Beamer wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 19:34:
They aren't made to feel welcome, instead they're patronized and treated like garbage. So a tournament just for them is a safe space to attract them into the hobby.

That entire post is like a buzzword collage from a feminist. 'aggro' 'welcome' 'safe'. Tournaments are competitive environments and I don't really care about 'attracting' women, hell much of the time when I'm gaming I'm actually dodging my woman. They can get into it if they want and otherwise I don't care its a hobby for fucks sake. Male and female interests diverge heavily in too many areas to list, we can't all do the same shit and shouldn't be trying to convert each other all the time.

There are hundreds of female centric activities that I am precluded from participating in through social stigmatization or even outright exclusion and I'm ok with that so long as they're ok not being invited to every male centric event that exists just for the sake of it. Men and women are different and that's okay.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2014, 20:33.

13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 19:34 Beamer

Redmask wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 19:25:
Cutter wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 15:16:
Why the fuck can't men just have their own little club without everyone throwing a hissy fit? Sometimes you just wanna hang with the boys.

I actually agree with you for a change. The number of areas where women dominate or men are socially stigmatized continues to rise so if men want to play some fucking games by themselves then who gives a shit.

It's not a little party, it's a large tournament.
Let's be frank - women aren't very common in games, in part due to the attitude you see so often here, with people like Cutter treating them like lesser beings. So the tournament would likely have been 95% male, anyway.

But then why are female-only tournaments alright?
Because they need them. We want females in games. But, when one shows up and is surrounded by a thousand aggro "nice guy" nerds in my little pony tees, they get scared off. They aren't made to feel welcome, instead they're patronized and treated like garbage. So a tournament just for them is a safe space to attract them into the hobby. Once here, they'll integrate, and one day all this won't be necessary.

Until then, though, guys will keep being shitty to them, there will keep being fewer of them, and people will claim it's because they just don't like the hobby.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 19:25 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 15:16:
Why the fuck can't men just have their own little club without everyone throwing a hissy fit? Sometimes you just wanna hang with the boys.

I actually agree with you for a change. The number of areas where women dominate or men are socially stigmatized continues to rise so if men want to play some fucking games by themselves then who gives a shit.

11. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 15:16 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 12:23 Verno

descender wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 12:21:
Maybe it's gotten better? I was in a closed beta a loooong time ago and was completely thrown for a loop when I was being told I didn't know how to play a game that only like 100 people could have been playing at the time. I did really enjoy the perspective change, maybe i'll check it out again.

Yeah I guess once it expanded out from the diehards. I played with 3 friends who are awesome people but terrible gamers and they loved it. I found the sportsmanship for lack of a better word to be very good.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 12:21 descender

Maybe it's gotten better? I was in a closed beta a loooong time ago and was completely thrown for a loop when I was being told I didn't know how to play a game that only like 100 people could have been playing at the time. I did really enjoy the perspective change, maybe i'll check it out again.  

8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 12:10 Verno

descender wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 11:17:
That many people really play Smite?!

I thought it was a great change of pace for the MOBA genre, but it had the same toxic community problems the others suffer from (in a BETA, who is a powergaming dickhead in a BETA?!).

I don't know, Smite is the one MOBA where I never had a negative experience at all. Its pretty beginner friendly so it seems to attract a lot of community minded people. I didn't get that into it because played one, played them all I find but my overall experience was positive.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 12:07 Ozmodan

All MOBA's = extremely toxic community.

I play games to have fun, not get constantly screamed at.

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 11:48 descender

does a MOBA exist where the playerbase isn't full of assholes?

Not that I know of. The problem is people...obviously... and the limited team size.

The less people there are on your team, the more of a chance each one of them can ruin/lose the game for everyone else. I think the reason why games like TF2 don't seem to have that toxicity (of our city, of our ciiiiityyyyy) is because the actions and impact of individuals isn't as obvious.

5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 11:44 UHD

InBlack wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 10:52:
UHD wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 10:26:
Do not understand gender segregation in video game competition.

Okay actually that's a lie, I understand it completely: the people in charge, and sadly most of the competitive community at large, are sexist idiots. Like that one dumb bastard that insisted sexism was part of the culture and 'this isn't North Korea, I can say what I want' then followed it up with leering at one of the competitors through a camera.

It had nothing to do with sexism, unless you count regular sport gender segregation as sexist.

However their new segregation rules "Open for All" and "Women's Only" is definitively sexist. Not to mention retarded.

Oh bullshit. They arbitrarily separated the genders in a 'sport' where gender differences are irrelevant, how is that not sexist?

Sports gender segregation is due to sexual dimorphism. In sports where that doesn't impact competitiveness, such as auto racing, women and men compete on the same level. The e-sports people saying Hearthstone needs a separate women's division (and justifying it with "International Sports Regulations," failing to mention they themselves are the regulating body here) is asinine.

I'm not calling sports at large perfect or whatever, but it doesn't stop the e-sports people from being wrong about this on every level. Retaining the womens-only divisions is likely just a cynical attempt to claim progressiveness.

descender wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 11:17:

I thought it was a great change of pace for the MOBA genre, but it had the same toxic community problems the others suffer from (in a BETA, who is a powergaming dickhead in a BETA?!).

Legitimate question: does a MOBA exist where the playerbase isn't full of assholes? It's the prime reason I haven't tried one yet.

4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 11:17 descender

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo