Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Age of Empires Online Goes Offline

It starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane, and Lenny Bruce is not afraid, and now the Age of Empires Blog announces the end of the world as we know it, as Age of Empires Online has closed its doors for good ending the run for this MMO version of the strategy series (thanks Eurogamer). Here's word:

AOEO launched in August of 2011, with its first two civilizations, the Greeks and Egyptians. Over the years, we added the Persians, the Celts, the Babylonians and the Norse. We also added new modes like the Defense of Crete and Skirmish, to provide for multiple styles of play. In the summer of 2012 we even changed the basic model of the game itself, allowing players to earn Empire Points and play their way to owning more civilizations and vanity items, and adding shifting Alliances to give high-level Empires more reasons to make wars upon each other.

None of this would have been possible, of course, without our friends and partners at Robot Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. They were the architects of the ancient world where we fought and played together. We were ambitious and risky with AOEO in a number of respects; some of these experiments worked, and some did not. As the saying goes, I do think that we ended up among the stars, most of the time.

The most thanks, though, belong to you, the players of the game. It has been a pleasure and an honor serving you all. Thank you for the time you have spent with us, exploring all these little worlds together and conquering them for the glory of your Alliance and your Empire. Thank you especially for the times you spent with each other, in PVP matches, in co-op quests, and in the forums and the rest of the internet. Thank you for playing.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 3, 2014, 13:57 Verno

Reagle finally got the boot eh?  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 17:42 nin

Flak wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 17:33:
Luke wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 13:44:
well something did hurt , i see Clown

The only thing that hurts is the loss of brain cells when you consider the wasted bandwidth that your worthless posting steals up. Nice smiley face, it looks like you spend more time picking the 'perfect' smiley face for your nonsensical dribble than you do on even a sliver of thought or contribution.

I wonder if Beagle has started to resort to an Alt account, or maybe he has a fanboyclub with a bunch of 14-year old trolls. Either way, looks more like the PCGamer.com comment section than BN.

I'll save you the trouble

Reply "Yeah, he mad" :o.

My guess was this guy was reegle, but it looks like Blue put the kibosh on that login as well.

We're overdue for a house cleaning...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

29. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 17:33 Flak

Luke wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 13:44:

The only thing that hurts is the loss of brain cells when you consider the wasted bandwidth that your worthless posting steals up. Nice smiley face, it looks like you spend more time picking the 'perfect' smiley face for your nonsensical dribble than you do on even a sliver of thought or contribution.

I wonder if Beagle has started to resort to an Alt account, or maybe he has a fanboyclub with a bunch of 14-year old trolls. Either way, looks more like the PCGamer.com comment section than BN.

I'll save you the trouble

Reply "Yeah, he mad" :o.

28. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 16:51 Akando

Xero wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 09:15:
So let me get this straight. You purchased all kinds of in-game content and now you can't access it? Am I hearing that correct?

Sure sounds like it.

27. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 15:01 Task

Or maybe Age of Empires with... drum roll... ZOMBIES.

Age of Empires: Undead Defense of The Ancient World.

Super-best MoBA game. Play as "Priest" ; Yololo, is back baby!

In all seriousness, maybe Micro$haft is kicking each other in the shins after they saw how popular the AoE HD release went on steam, you know, an actual AoE game where I can pick whatever the hell civilization I want to right out of the box, and play whenever I want to, no extra money or grinding required.

26. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 14:24 jdreyer

Obviously they used the IP incorrectly. What they needed to do to use AoE in the F2P model was either make a team-based FPS, or a MOBA.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

25. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 13:44 Luke

nin wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 13:32:
Flak wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 13:09:
Luke wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 12:23:
You pay all that money for digital content and for what? When the servers shut off, all your money just went into a black hole.

Just like Star Citizen Book

Oh great, another one of these creative clowns, a Star Citizen jab in a completely unrelated thread, where have I read this before? It's bad enough you butchered the quote and ate up 3 posts worth of screen real estate let alone the fact you're another boring beagle clone.

Just mute him - he's been like that since he got here.

24. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 13:33 verybad1

Primalchrome wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 11:05:
Task wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 10:52:
I'm curious when a headline will say mech warrior online goes offline, since micro$haft is getting a quick buck from that as well by loaning out the license, it has a smaller or similar population to this game (as in extremely niche)
Not going to happen any time soon. They released the clan mechs a couple of weeks ago. This provides them a massive cash influx that should push it through at least another couple of years.

I think the Clan money influx was a relative thing. Probably a few million dollars. So yeah, lots for an individual, but if you're running a company, not all that much when you're paying @ 50 people's salary. The game still needs something other than FPS shooter. It's not growing, just living on the people that still play it.

23. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 13:32 nin

Flak wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 13:09:
You pay all that money for digital content and for what? When the servers shut off, all your money just went into a black hole.

Oh great, another one of these creative clowns, a Star Citizen jab in a completely unrelated thread, where have I read this before? It's bad enough you butchered the quote and ate up 3 posts worth of screen real estate let alone the fact you're another boring beagle clone.

Just mute him - he's been like that since he got here.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

22. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 13:30 SpectralMeat

Stop quoting that clown guys.
Just check his post history it will tell you everything you need to know.

Steam: SpectralMeat

21. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 13:19 Task

That's cute, but Star Citizen is and will be moddable and will have dedicated servers that can be setup by anyone.

20. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 13:09 Flak

19. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 12:54 Keith

AoEO was pretty fun, imo. I played the hell out of the PvE. The PvP didn't interest me much, but I liked getting all the high-end gear for my little computerized armies. I even bought all the expansions. Shame to see it go down.  

18. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 12:24 Beamer

ElectricTurtle wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 10:57:
InBlack wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 10:18:
Xero wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 10:11:
There is no laws that exist to prevent a company from selling you something and then taking it away from you without returning your money? That sounds like quite a scheme to be LEGALLY ALLOWED...

Read the EULA of any game you have ever purchased. All of them state that your game is actually a 'service' that the game developer or rather publisher can end at any time that they choose to.

You dont own the game. You enter a contract or licence agreement that allows you to purchase and play the game as long as the publisher feels like allowing you to do so.

How legally binding EULAs really are is a matter that has yet to be put to the test. Judicially speaking of course.

Back in the 80s you used to see promotional bits on VHS tapes that said "Own X movie on VHS!" as a contrast to rentals. I always wanted to copy and sell bootlegs of those so I could go into court and say, 'look, I was publicly told that I owned this by the rights-holder.' lol

This is why I only buy games from gog anymore. Sure, the EULAs are still the same, as are the copyrights, but with all the DRM stripped out there is basically jack and shit that anybody can do to prevent you from using what you bought. The same cannot be said for Steam, and I pity the people who have and will be screwed over by them.

You always wanted to go to court to do something you knew you'd lose and face a heavy fine for?

And can you point out to me 3 examples of a game people owned disappearing? Not online only games, but single player ones. Valve has done it once, for a game that was online only and all the servers were taken down with no hope of user servers popping up.

The odds of a game no longer being playable due to technology moving past it far outweighs the odds of a game no longer being playable because the DRM holder pulls it from your computer.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 12:23 Luke

Task wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 09:40:
Xero wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 09:15:
So let me get this straight. You purchased all kinds of in-game content and now you can't access it? Am I hearing that correct?

Correct. I didn't play this game, but I had a feeling this would happen when I followed it a while back.

This is a major problem with some F2P games. You pay all that money for digital content and for what? When the servers shut off, all your money just went into a black hole. Its not like it can ever be downloaded again or insstalled from a disk to play some single-player or play with a couple friends with bots or whatever like Age of Empires the originals.

16. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 11:36 Frijoles

I enjoyed this game (the PvE), so I'm sad to see it go. Haven't played in a long time though. Was kind of a bitch to get it to load up right what with GfWL. I was going to play yesterday one last time, but couldn't get it to run in the 2 minutes I was interested. Wish they'd convert it over to Steamworks and keep it running using a TF2 model (hats for everyone!).

15. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 11:11 Task

Primalchrome wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 11:05:
I'm curious when a headline will say mech warrior online goes offline, since micro$haft is getting a quick buck from that as well by loaning out the license, it has a smaller or similar population to this game (as in extremely niche)
Not going to happen any time soon. They released the clan mechs a couple of weeks ago. This provides them a massive cash influx that should push it through at least another couple of years.

That's what you might think huh, all these f2p's have "cash influxes" and cash grabs. MWO has no dedicated server option, no single player, just grind and grind. When its all gone, its gone, all those dollars spent on some digital thing, gone, poof. A small population in that f2p can not sustain it for long.

14. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 11:05 Primalchrome

13. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 10:57 ElectricTurtle

InBlack wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 10:18:
There is no laws that exist to prevent a company from selling you something and then taking it away from you without returning your money? That sounds like quite a scheme to be LEGALLY ALLOWED...

Read the EULA of any game you have ever purchased. All of them state that your game is actually a 'service' that the game developer or rather publisher can end at any time that they choose to.

You dont own the game. You enter a contract or licence agreement that allows you to purchase and play the game as long as the publisher feels like allowing you to do so.

How legally binding EULAs really are is a matter that has yet to be put to the test. Judicially speaking of course.

Back in the 80s you used to see promotional bits on VHS tapes that said "Own X movie on VHS!" as a contrast to rentals. I always wanted to copy and sell bootlegs of those so I could go into court and say, 'look, I was publicly told that I owned this by the rights-holder.' lol

This is why I only buy games from gog anymore. Sure, the EULAs are still the same, as are the copyrights, but with all the DRM stripped out there is basically jack and shit that anybody can do to prevent you from using what you bought. The same cannot be said for Steam, and I pity the people who have and will be screwed over by them.

12. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 10:55 Beamer

You do understand that if maintaining online games forever was legally obligated we'd see a huge crash in how many were out there, right?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo