Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Monthly Report

A new June 2014 Monthly Report on the Roberts Space Industries website has the latest on what's going on in the world of Star Citizen, RSI's upcoming space combat game. The report hears from their three discrete studios and various outsourced arms discussing dogfighting, the persistent world, Squadron 42, and more. In short: "Itís hard to believe itís July already! Hereís our monthly report on what all three Cloud Imperium Games studios and all of our outsource teams have been up to! From improving the website to making the Vanduul fight more fiercely, weíve been hard at work building Star Citizen." Thanks 88fingers.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 3, 2014, 10:04 Jamil20

Sugarman wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 18:49:
I like the flight model in the DFM. I'm in the next wave to get into the multi player! It's fun, but the dogfighting aspect isn't why I backed the game, flying the multicrewed ships is! I bought the Constellation because of that and because I support the concept and direction this game is taking.

It's gonna be a while before anything actually close to a "game" is out, I understand that, and I can wait. Is it overly ambitious, it may seem that way to some. What you guys fail to see is that many of the backers are veteran players, they've played all the old Wing Commander, Privateer games and such, we have a more established monetary structure than your average gamer.

We're willing to support the game we've always wanted. Will it take much more than 47 million, probably, do we have more money to throw at it and are we willing, you're damn right we do. Are we crazy, maybe, do we care, no. Have we spent more than our current investment in SC on a night out in Vegas, yep. I still have a ways to go before I even get close to that.

So you can thank us in a couple years when a great game comes out you can get into for 60 bucks. If it doesn't live up to the blue's comment board posters high level of expectations, who am I kidding, not much does, then will our money have been wasted? We don't really care.

That's cool if you want to spend a lot of money to support the game. No one can tell you how you should spend your money. I'm in for just a little more than the full retail price of a AAA game ($75). I think that's fair for a game I want to play.

However, I don't like monetizing the development process. Currently, you can only 'test' features that you have 'bought'. This is really uncalled for and stinks of greed, and could potentially make the final product worse. I feel like I've paid full price for a game, don't place some crooked restrictions at this stage so you can squeeze the user-base for more money.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2014, 10:11.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 3, 2014, 08:41 dj LiTh

Its interesting to me that this game will have independent and player run servers yet people are still spending so much money on starter ships, which i assume are only good for the 'main' server.  

22. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 21:05 HorrorScope

McTurbo wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 16:32:
For one of the few times ever players are in the heart of the development cycle of a game. a game being developed by the maker/studio and funded by the players not a publishing house that demands more than their share of profits or demands that you get the game out before its finished.

Actually with Kickstarter and EA, it's becoming very popular and this wasn't the first. If you are into the game it is quite fun watching things develop, so it has some pluses.

The one minus I sort of see with this game is with all this info, if I don't keep up on it (I'm not) am I going to feel like I'm really behind an 8-ball. I get that feeling with MMO's if I haven't played in a long time and there are a ton of patches etc, I feel lost and totally behind, hopelessly behind.

21. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 18:49 Sugarman

I like the flight model in the DFM. I'm in the next wave to get into the multi player! It's fun, but the dogfighting aspect isn't why I backed the game, flying the multicrewed ships is! I bought the Constellation because of that and because I support the concept and direction this game is taking.

It's gonna be a while before anything actually close to a "game" is out, I understand that, and I can wait. Is it overly ambitious, it may seem that way to some. What you guys fail to see is that many of the backers are veteran players, they've played all the old Wing Commander, Privateer games and such, we have a more established monetary structure than your average gamer.

We're willing to support the game we've always wanted. Will it take much more than 47 million, probably, do we have more money to throw at it and are we willing, you're damn right we do. Are we crazy, maybe, do we care, no. Have we spent more than our current investment in SC on a night out in Vegas, yep. I still have a ways to go before I even get close to that.

So you can thank us in a couple years when a great game comes out you can get into for 60 bucks. If it doesn't live up to the blue's comment board posters high level of expectations, who am I kidding, not much does, then will our money have been wasted? We don't really care.

20. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 18:33 Parias

Kosumo wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 17:44:
so, how far has the multi player part of the Arena Commander DFM been? Have their been many people trying/playing it?

I'd love to know how good the netcode is, being that was why we where told it was delayed way back around Christmas.

It works about as good as Elite: Dangerous did for it's initial alpha release. As in, lots of weirdness and crashes, but shows lots of potential.

19. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 17:44 Kosumo

so, how far has the multi player part of the Arena Commander DFM been? Have their been many people trying/playing it?

I'd love to know how good the netcode is, being that was why we where told it was delayed way back around Christmas.

18. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 17:33 panbient

For one of the few times ever players are in the heart of the development cycle of a game. a game being developed by the maker/studio and funded by the players not a publishing house that demands more than their share of profits or demands that you get the game out before its finished.

It's a really nice idea. But in the back of my mind this is the only thing I really expect as a final result - The Homer

I mean, really, it has everything as made by an everyman without the influence of the evil suits!

17. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 17:00 dj LiTh

So whats the release date on the control config module...?  

16. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 16:58 Harrowing

Yeah instead of the publishers, there's thousands of players who have no fucking idea what they want and instead drool over anything Chris Roberts throws at them, which is mostly new shiny ships. There's SO many people who think AC is good gameplay... it plays like shit... imagine if CIG caters for these peons and sculpts the gameplay of the final game according to them.

Chris has made a lot of great games from wing commander on to freelancer.. i think he knows what he's doing..

Oh yeah, he sure does. He only delayed the DFM 6 times, plays a damn space sim with an xbox controller and when people complain about the flight mechanics he tells them that the flight system is so perfect they think it's shit. You could not make this shit up.
Oh and he also sells towels with the logo of his game on them.... TOWELS.

for the first time ever we as the players are being allowed to see the on going daily/weekly/monthly issues with developing a game. normally we just get silence or a screenshot of progress... at this time..

Oh cut the bullshit. There's craploads of indie games that have weekly/monthly dev transparency. What's the weather like under your rock?

be happy that we get to participate while contributing to what could be a great player oriented game.

Yeah.. "be happy" that you helped contribute FORTY EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS to one guy who has promised every game feature known to man and then some.
He's sure going to deliver every single one of them.... 100% guaranteed.

15. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 16:32 McTurbo

Chris has made a lot of great games from wing commander on to freelancer.. i think he knows what he's doing.. for the first time ever we as the players are being allowed to see the on going daily/weekly/monthly issues with developing a game. normally we just get silence or a screenshot of progress... at this time.. i honestly feel that some of you are being critical of game issues without understand the concept of game development.

this game is going to get better and like any game its going to have features that will unlock after release or some that are dropped before release regardless of any goals.. be happy that we get to participate while contributing to what could be a great player oriented game.

he could have gone the old route.. you know.. publisher developed.. the occasional screenshot and corporate response to questions... aka no information until just before release.

14. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 14:00 Creston

10 "teams?" Holy shit.

The end product is going to come together magnificently and form a single, seamless game without a single hickup!

Fingers crossed, but damn. I can't help but look at AC3 and how that turned out...

13. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 13:46 Tumbler

Wildone wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 12:55:
I play/played A LOT of sims for a long time, but if you cant just instantly get a feel for the ships out of the box there's a problem. And there is a big problem with these, its like flying a 747 on ice-its all over the place! By contrast you jump into Elite Dangerous and you instantly get the 'oh I know this!!' feeling..its intuitive. I dont get what crap they say about the FCS or whatever it is. And thats just the start of the problems. Their ships are fantastically modeled & detailed, but man..they are trying to do so much too quickly and getting splintered. Unless they do something to fix the basic feel of the ships and the combat I cant see myself going back to it even though Im a backer. ED has all my attention

I do as well and many sims don't feel right until you properly config the controls to your tastes. The DCS sims are a perfect example. Trying to hover a helo in that using a joystick that isn't tweaked properly is kind of hilarious. Most joysticks are slightly different in how they report movement and if the engine is watching closely every single nudge adjustment you make does something.

In the case of Star Citizen it seems to be ignoring way to much on larger joysticks using in Hotas setups. The joystick reading seems appropriate for thumb sticks on my game pad but when I tried to use a CH fighterstick it was a complete joke because I'd have to make enormous moves to get the nose to make small adjustments.

I finally went and learned how to config that stick outside of the game and messed with the thresholds so that small movements were major shifts which is how sims should fly. (for me) The game was much more pleasant but I am holding off playing until that is in game because they do a whole host of stupid shit like mapping yaw to your rudder instead of the stick. Mapping throttle to my stick instead of leaving on the keyboard. On the Keyboard the up and down straffing are mapped to fucking E and Q. W & S are mapped to forward and back....who the fuck cares about straffing forward and back!? The shots are still going to hit you.... Being able to tweak all those things in game will make the game feel a lot better.

I think it's 90% control config issues. There may not be that much to do once you have the control issues out of the way, blowing up 3 ships is in a small deathmatch map or two is going to get old so hopefully they'll have a new map and some new ships to add this month.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2014, 13:52.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

12. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 13:43 Cutter

I believe that Elite is going to be realized very well and that most SC backes are going to feel totally burned. Like burn baby burn disco inferno!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadÖ Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

11. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 13:11 SpectralMeat

Because people are buying new ships, and upgrading from ships they've originally bought.
If you check their stores they have ship upgrade options from the basic $40 up to the 300i or any of the other ships.
That is where all the money comes from. There are also new backers but it is not hard to see where they focus their effort as far as development goes.
When they've announced the delay of the Arena Commander they've also released a new "commercial" video for a ship and it's variant.
Wish they would stop working on ship designs and commercial and focus on the actual game instead but that will not happen. That would be like ask them to stop taking money from people.

Steam: SpectralMeat

10. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 13:05 Comet

Wildone wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 11:45:
They are in deep trouble. They said yes to way too many goofy requests and didn't focus on the core gameplay (Dogfighting) hence why it sucks balls. Now they have to make good on it all and the result is gonna be a weird awkward mish mash of game types and mechanics, none of which will gel together. Im predicting there will be a huge re-focusing once they figure out it cant be done in a human timeframe. Fan boys will cry and probably commit hari kiri.

Luke wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 12:20:
To all supporters : We need money ! Clown ' s

Here's the thing. The DFM is out. It's easy to tell where they are going with this game. It could fail or end up being great, I don't know.
But one way or the other, people can already have a taste of what to expect. There is a lot of work to do. The game may even be delayed. (pretty much all AAA games do).

So if their doing a bad job, why new people continue to join and pledge?
Just a bit more than a week ago they reached $47 Million and had 486.134 backers. Now they are close to $47.5 Million, just half from reaching $48 Million and have 491.640 backers. In little more than a week 5500 new pledges.

What's the logic?

9. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 13:01 SpectralMeat

Wildone wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 12:55:
Their ships are fantastically modeled & detailed,
That is their main focus because that is what brings the $ in at this stage.
Gameplay vise they can say oh it is pre alpha to shut people down that criticize or compare this game to Elite for example, however Elite felt fucking awesome to fly since Alpha 1.0 and they've just kept on fine tuning it and making it even better every single step of the way.

SC on the other hand is like ok now the Arena Commander is finished out the door we can start working on something else on the list of the 286 billion features we've promised.
I absolutely hate the flight model in SC.
Someone on this forum said it feels like you are trying to control a bathtub sliding down the side of the mountain, and that is exactly what the ships feel like in SC.
Yeah yeah it is pre alpha whatever

Steam: SpectralMeat

8. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 12:55 Wildone

I play/played A LOT of sims for a long time, but if you cant just instantly get a feel for the ships out of the box there's a problem. And there is a big problem with these, its like flying a 747 on ice-its all over the place! By contrast you jump into Elite Dangerous and you instantly get the 'oh I know this!!' feeling..its intuitive. I dont get what crap they say about the FCS or whatever it is. And thats just the start of the problems. Their ships are fantastically modeled & detailed, but man..they are trying to do so much too quickly and getting splintered. Unless they do something to fix the basic feel of the ships and the combat I cant see myself going back to it even though Im a backer. ED has all my attention

Tumbler wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 12:49:
They are in deep trouble. They said yes to way too many goofy requests and didn't focus on the core gameplay (Dogfighting) hence why it sucks balls. Now they have to make good on it all and the result is gonna be a weird awkward mish mash of game types and mechanics, none of which will gel together. Im predicting there will be a huge re-focusing once they figure out it cant be done in a human timeframe. Fan boys will cry and probably commit hari kiri.

I think the mistake they made about 6 months ago was trying to deliver more content after the delay initially. The DFM was originally supposed to just be the Hornet to start. If they'd focused only on that ship I think we'd be seeing a much better launch of the DFM. (now called arena commander)

At pax east they told us about all the other stuff that will be in AC and it seems like another game tacked onto the development entirely. This may end up being smart because it gives them something the public can play but so far they're struggling to deliver the initial 3 ships in a way that most people will see as fun. Whenever the key binding / control config patch comes I hope that will help a lot of people enjoy the game.

It's pretty absurd that you need to setup detailed custom controls outside of the game that can be programmed to a joystick / hotas setup. The controller config isn't bad but without sensitivity settings it's pretty hard to use effectively. The Mouse and Keyboard controls can be used ok if you can adjust to them. The virtual joystick is clunky thanx to this little zone in the middle of the screen where your ship stops responding and you're supposed to use this area to aim. Problem is once you hit the edge of this imaginary circle the ship starts to turn. Making minor changes becomes very difficult doing it this way. You can change the mouse control mode to direct using Ctrl F but I don't like that.

I'm very pleased with the game in general at this stage, with a few control config menu's and them opening up MP to a lot more people I think it's going to be a lot more fun.

7. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 12:49 Tumbler

I think the mistake they made about 6 months ago was trying to deliver more content after the delay initially. The DFM was originally supposed to just be the Hornet to start. If they'd focused only on that ship I think we'd be seeing a much better launch of the DFM. (now called arena commander)

At pax east they told us about all the other stuff that will be in AC and it seems like another game tacked onto the development entirely. This may end up being smart because it gives them something the public can play but so far they're struggling to deliver the initial 3 ships in a way that most people will see as fun. Whenever the key binding / control config patch comes I hope that will help a lot of people enjoy the game.

It's pretty absurd that you need to setup detailed custom controls outside of the game that can be programmed to a joystick / hotas setup. The controller config isn't bad but without sensitivity settings it's pretty hard to use effectively. The Mouse and Keyboard controls can be used ok if you can adjust to them. The virtual joystick is clunky thanx to this little zone in the middle of the screen where your ship stops responding and you're supposed to use this area to aim. Problem is once you hit the edge of this imaginary circle the ship starts to turn. Making minor changes becomes very difficult doing it this way. You can change the mouse control mode to direct using Ctrl F but I don't like that.

I'm very pleased with the game in general at this stage, with a few control config menu's and them opening up MP to a lot more people I think it's going to be a lot more fun.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

6. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 12:20 Luke

To all supporters : We need money ! Clown ' s  

5. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 11:45 Wildone

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo