Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, the streak continues... the U.S.A. has never won the World Cup, and I've never been named to the team. I think the conclusion to be drawn from this is pretty obvious. I'll give them another chance in 2018, but one of these days they won't have old BlueHair to kick around anymore.

Obvious Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Bomboozle 3.
The Cave of Atman.
Facility Z.
Media: HAT_DOGS.
Star Trek: The Sext Generation.
WWP: The Game of Thrones Brady Bunch Parody.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 22:09 Burrito of Peace

Orogogus wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 15:45:
Olympics = summer games only, eh?

What's that all aboot?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 18:19 Cutter

Having a larger population base to choose from certainly makes a whopping big difference overall.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 18:13 Creston

descender wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 15:59:
There is little excuse for teams like England, Spain, Portugal and Italy to be eliminated from the World Cup... regardless of their population. They are host to the most competitive leagues in the world for the sport and none of them even have a close second "national sport".

There's always ebb and flow for national teams. Spain has dominated international soccer for the past six years, but eventually those players get old, the system is countered and you go down again.

Also, a lot of the elite Spanish, English and Italian teams buy their best players in free agency, which of course doesn't help them for the world cup. Portugal really isn't all that good to begin with. Ronaldo is fantastic, obviously, but overall that's a medium to good team, certainly not an elite team.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 18:10 xXBatmanXx

HAT_DOGS.

Wow. that is really good.....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 17:02 jdreyer

Also, that Star Trek vid is pretty hilarious.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 16:51 Yifes

descender wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 15:59:
The olympics are pretty specialized events, dominated by countries with the proper training facilities (read: money... or for the winter olympics I suppose locale matters). It's not simply population.

Well said!

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 16:48 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 14:59:
Quboid wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 09:21:

And yet, the USMNT did comfortably better than England (and of course far better than the other British teams, none of whom qualified) and there's no particular reason why this should surprise anyone. Wow, a country with 6 times our population and who are famous for their interest in sport can find 23 people rather good at playing one of the most popular ones?! Well done them!

By that logic, China should always win the world cup. Or at least be in competition. Yet they didn't even qualify.

Also, to quote John Oliver about soccer in America: "Soccer is something you take your ten-year-old to."

I meant that referring to how some UK journalists treat the US like a country which doesn't have enough professional players to pick a team from, I didn't mean to imply that population should strongly correlate with success.

- Quboid

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 15:59 descender

The olympics are pretty specialized events, dominated by countries with the proper training facilities (read: money... or for the winter olympics I suppose locale matters). It's not simply population.

The only reason China competes well in the Olympics is because they physically abuse children in bootcamp-like facilities. The rest of the children that aren't sons and daughters of great athletes (or from already rich families) are forced to spend their free time in study rather than sports or other hobbies. This is why they are generally terrible and what we consider "regular" sports (and why they don't even export many other athletes in general).

There is no professional soccer league in China, so the path from their super-corrupt amatuer leagues to the national stage simply doesn't exist. This is a similar limitation that the US is facing with a majority of their talent pool playing in MLS and not better leagues.

There is little excuse for teams like England, Spain, Portugal and Italy to be eliminated from the World Cup... regardless of their population. They are host to the most competitive leagues in the world for the sport and none of them even have a close second "national sport". The US did very well to outlast these teams considering the gap in competition between US professional soccer and UEFA et al. Making the jump from MLS is extremely difficult for players. The only thing all of that population is doing producing really mediocre soccer players.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 15:45 Orogogus

Cutter wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 15:33:
The logic is sound. Look at the Olympics. Who are the countries that always dominate? The ones with the largest populations coupled with large and expensive programs. Russia, China, America all have programs that start training from childhood.

Olympics = summer games only, eh?

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 15:33 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 14:59:

And yet, the USMNT did comfortably better than England (and of course far better than the other British teams, none of whom qualified) and there's no particular reason why this should surprise anyone. Wow, a country with 6 times our population and who are famous for their interest in sport can find 23 people rather good at playing one of the most popular ones?! Well done them!

By that logic, China should always win the world cup. Or at least be in competition. Yet they didn't even qualify.

Also, to quote John Oliver about soccer in America: "Soccer is something you take your ten-year-old to."

The logic is sound. Look at the Olympics. Who are the countries that always dominate? The ones with the largest populations coupled with large and expensive programs. Russia, China, America all have programs that start training from childhood. And they have access to all the best stuff. I remember a stat years ago that was something like the average US high school football program spends more on athletic tape than most countries do on their entire PE programs. Also the us just imports a lot of talent. Fast track to a green card if you're good at a sport.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 14:59 jdreyer

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 14:58 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 14:46:
How do we kill that which has no life?

Holy shit, that young Trevor is that picture is scary real... (just to the back and right of the dipshit at the desk)

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 14:46 jdreyer

How do we kill that which has no life?

OMG, that's perfect. WoW, I knew exactly what that was when I saw it. One of the best South Park eps ever made.

Compare to the original.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 14:29 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 11:51:
So it's Germany or Belgium to win it all.

Really? Not France, not Brazil, not Argentina, not Netherlands. Belgium?

Giggle

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 14:24 Orogogus

Brataccas wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 14:22:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 12:54:
I don't think a whole lot of people played that game.

It's too bad the poor controls doomed it to obscurity, it was a unique game considering the time period.

I remember the Lechmere stores in New Hampshire used to have it running all the time on their demo computers.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 14:22 Brataccas

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 12:54:
I don't think a whole lot of people played that game.

It's too bad the poor controls doomed it to obscurity, it was a unique game considering the time period. Everyone remembers Barbarian and Shadow of the Beast, but few remember where Psygnosis started.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 13:57 Cutter

Fion wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 13:41:
The popularity of the sport HAS risen in the US. I grew up with a family that loved soccer. Both my parents are immigrants and they grew up with soccer as well. I always played it as a kid as opposed to football or baseball. I can tell you from first hand experience that 20 years ago when I'd be watching the World Cup my friends would be like 'you're watching soccer?' Today I go to the local sports-bar during a US game and it's packed to the gills with cheering fans, most of them white North-Easterners like myself.

It certainly doesn't have the scale of the 'big 4' here in the US but it's popularity is growing rapidly. The US has done fairly well in the last decade+ in the World Cup, and that can only help.

Yeah, that's the thing. Almost every immigrant in NA comes from somewhere where footy is all there is. All my friends who are 1st or 2nd generation here are all big into footy and they're constantly going to see Toronto play. The MLS is doing well but it'll never be huge here. Unlike the rest of the world North America also has tons more going on Football, Basketball, Baseball, NASCAR, etc. etc. etc. all vying for your attention and dollars, whereas in most of the world all they really have is footy.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 13:41 Fion

The popularity of the sport HAS risen in the US. I grew up with a family that loved soccer. Both my parents are immigrants and they grew up with soccer as well. I always played it as a kid as opposed to football or baseball. I can tell you from first hand experience that 20 years ago when I'd be watching the World Cup my friends would be like 'you're watching soccer?' Today I go to the local sports-bar during a US game and it's packed to the gills with cheering fans, most of them white North-Easterners like myself.

It certainly doesn't have the scale of the 'big 4' here in the US but it's popularity is growing rapidly. The US has done fairly well in the last decade+ in the World Cup, and that can only help.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 13:29 Mr. Tact

Tony Kornheiser is one of two regular hosts of an ESPN show called "Pardon The Interruption". Basically it's just Tony and another reporter/newscaster Micheal Wilbon talking about the US sports news of the day. They spend about 1.5 minutes on various subjects during a 30 minute show that airs 5 days a week most of the time. Tony either is or plays a typical old, east-coast bias, star stuck, NFL shield protecting, sports weenie. Some of the time he clearly thinks that way, some of the time it's pretty clear he's just playing his role (and enjoying it for the most part).

When they talk about soccer, which isn't often -- usually around the World Cup, he has repeatedly pulled out this idea that if country 'abc' has a population of x, and country 'def' has a population of 2x -- 'def' has the clear advantage and should win. I doubt he honestly believes this, but he pretends on the show that he does.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 13:11 DNForever

Tony Kornheiser was the name of an old wooden ship from the Civil War era.  

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo