Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin

Steam News announces the release of Divinity: Original Sin, the latest installment in Larian's RPG series. Here's word:

Gather your party and get ready for a new, back-to-the-roots RPG adventure! Discuss your decisions with companions; fight foes in turn-based combat; explore an open world and interact with everything and everyone you see. Join up with a friend to play online in co-op and make your own adventures with the powerful RPG toolkit.

In Divinity:Original Sin you take on the role of a young Source Hunter: your job is to rid the world of those who use the foulest of magics. When you embark on what should have been a routine murder investigation, you suddenly find yourself in the middle of a plot that will rattle the very fabric of time.

Divinity: Original Sin is a game that gives you a lot of freedom and plenty of gameplay mechanics to use or abuse. The game's epic story may drive you toward your ultimate end-goal, but how you get there is entirely up to you.

Or up to you and a friend, because Divinity: Original Sin can be played completely cooperatively, and features both online and local drop-in/drop-out multiplayer. Great adventures become even greater when shared with a trusted comrade-in-arms!

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 3, 2014, 21:45 Undocumented Alien

Yeah, created a Knight (male) and Cleric (female), been a great combo so far. I've picked up a couple more allies around the town, ready to start heading out.

Great game so far

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 3, 2014, 10:13 Verno

InBlack wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 03:42:
Also is there any way to heal other than potions? I havent figured out a way to wait, or sleep in this game...

There are a couple of beds scattered around but really your best option is a healing spell because crafting sucks and you will need the consumables for tough fights.

I really enjoy the game but it could have used another 6 months of tweaking (though I guess what game couldnt?), there are a lot of interface weirdness and design oddities.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

48. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 3, 2014, 09:14 InBlack

Thanks Quinn.  

I have a nifty blue line!

47. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 3, 2014, 05:39 Quinn

InBlack wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 03:42:
Quinn wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 11:26:
You lost the first fight? The first first!? What's your difficulty setting?

I have no idea. Yes I lost it because for the first few turns I mostly misclicked my way around those damn skeletons or whatever they are. Damn interface is really balls. I will say that apart from the control quirks and interface the game is superawesome so far. Made it into the city but decided I will reroll my chars.

Is there any way to change the order of action during my turn, or is it strictly the turn belongs to whatever character is currently on initiative, ala D&D style?

Also is there any way to heal other than potions? I havent figured out a way to wait, or sleep in this game...

Yup it's the initiative thing. A rogue character in your group will most likely be the first to start, for example.

It's a good choice, I think, to have one companion that can heal with either the Men-at-Arms skill or Hydro-something. I have a Cleric with me that can do a big instant heal (Men-at-Arms) and also a heal-over-time (Hydro-something). Apart from those two skills, he can also charge into battle and knock the shit out of enemies. I don't think there's an option to rest or sleep, so.. yeah, have a companion with you that can heal. Outside of combat it doesn't cost mana or anything anyway.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

46. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 3, 2014, 03:42 InBlack

Quinn wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 11:26:

I have no idea. Yes I lost it because for the first few turns I mostly misclicked my way around those damn skeletons or whatever they are. Damn interface is really balls. I will say that apart from the control quirks and interface the game is superawesome so far. Made it into the city but decided I will reroll my chars.

Is there any way to change the order of action during my turn, or is it strictly the turn belongs to whatever character is currently on initiative, ala D&D style?

45. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 3, 2014, 00:30 eRe4s3r

jimnms wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 20:57:
Darks wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 09:40:
Hey jimnms, the steam version is DRM free. you just run it through steam. there are no DLLs from steam in that version at all. I checked, I have the steam version. Not one dll to be found from steam.

I know the Steam version is DRM free, but my physical copy is the collectors edition and I still need to wait for it and use its Steam key to get the CE goodies on Steam. Since I have the extra key I want to redeem it on GOG.

That's kind of shitty that the public GOG release of the game is delayed until the end of August. I know they said it is to release with the GOG Galaxy thing, but there was some evidence posted in the forums that Larian made a deal to give Steam a 2 month exclusive.

GOG already changed that (after much storm..), they'll release in a few days...

44. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 2, 2014, 19:58 eRe4s3r

Quinn wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 19:35:
Today I realized something that makes me doubt my combo...

Kinda the main art for DOS are the two companions, always 1 male 1 female. The default companions in character creation are also 1 male and 1 female. The thing is, I've chosen to play with 1 male Cleric and 1 male Rogue, but now I'm wondering if I'm missing out on some more interesting companion dialogues/content.

Did the devs say anything about that?

You don't miss anything, as far as I can tell... (level 14)

43. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 2, 2014, 19:35 Quinn

Today I realized something that makes me doubt my combo...

Kinda the main art for DOS are the two companions, always 1 male 1 female. The default companions in character creation are also 1 male and 1 female. The thing is, I've chosen to play with 1 male Cleric and 1 male Rogue, but now I'm wondering if I'm missing out on some more interesting companion dialogues/content.

Did the devs say anything about that?

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

42. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 2, 2014, 13:29 nin

InBlack wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 06:20:
Ok got the game yesterday. Wow its been a while since Ive been thrown in the deep end of the pool, so to speak.

There are just a TON of options in the game, and the interface aint helping none.

Just had time to create a pair of characters ranger/mage and had one fight so far which I lost like a goddamn noob that I am.

So, anyone know of a good tutorial video or page or anything which I can access to try and get to grips with the game rules/interface??

That actually sounds fun!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

41. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 2, 2014, 11:30 Verno

InBlack wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 06:20:
Ok got the game yesterday. Wow its been a while since Ive been thrown in the deep end of the pool, so to speak.

There are just a TON of options in the game, and the interface aint helping none.

Just had time to create a pair of characters ranger/mage and had one fight so far which I lost like a goddamn noob that I am.

So, anyone know of a good tutorial video or page or anything which I can access to try and get to grips with the game rules/interface??

Turn the difficulty down to Normal if you're having that hard of a time. Yes the interface in this is complete balls and so is the camera. Rest of it is pretty aces though, I'm having a good time. The tutorial dungeon is good for basics but there is a wealth of other unexplained crap in the game that you need to figure out on your own or by reading the digital manual.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

40. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 2, 2014, 11:26 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

39. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 2, 2014, 06:20 InBlack

38. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 2, 2014, 06:04 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 23:48:
Axis wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 21:50:
Game rocks.

Melee gets much stronger later on.

Anyone can use the specialty arrows, you can make a real nice hybrid ranger. I do Ranger/Mage after having put about 40 hours into the beta pretty much just testing character combos...

Yep, I give Madora one point of Dex and then she can use a Bow and then depending on the situation, since this has terrain effects, you can't get in there safely melee wise, you can have her use Specialty Arrows like she's a mage.

The melee is fine if you can get in there. But there are ways to really crowd control mobs in this game and you don't want your melees in the middle of that shit storm.

Of course you do Witch spell +50% elemental res flips the resistance over from damage to healing when they are above 100%! I can have Madora stand in a flailing storm of fire and poison and she doesn't care. (and even gets healed by fire). It only lasts 2 turns, but 2 turns of healing in fire as opposed to damage is HUGE

I really like this game I am very much enjoying my real playthrough, finally out of Cyseal.. but I love the combat. It's so.. visceral

37. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 1, 2014, 20:57 jimnms

Darks wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 09:40:
Hey jimnms, the steam version is DRM free. you just run it through steam. there are no DLLs from steam in that version at all. I checked, I have the steam version. Not one dll to be found from steam.

I know the Steam version is DRM free, but my physical copy is the collectors edition and I still need to wait for it and use its Steam key to get the CE goodies on Steam. Since I have the extra key I want to redeem it on GOG.

That's kind of shitty that the public GOG release of the game is delayed until the end of August. I know they said it is to release with the GOG Galaxy thing, but there was some evidence posted in the forums that Larian made a deal to give Steam a 2 month exclusive.

Steam Profile

36. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 1, 2014, 19:36 Redmask

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 16:04:
Redmask wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 10:14:
I really enjoy the combat which is challenging without being stupidly hard but I have many complaints about the rest. The camera in this game is a god damned nightmare, in the way all the fucking time. For an RPG the shoddy writing is surprising, these guys should have hired some proof readers. I've found some of the quest text to be so amateurish that it pulls you right out of the game. Inventory management is pretty annoying as well, the interface feels cobbled together. Is there a way to toggle group/single mode? Having to manually toggle stealth for everyone is pretty dumb. Why is the crafting such a pain in the ass while I'm at it here, I can't believe they thought it was ok to ship with that. The default run speed should have been higher too.

I think it's good but people are going overboard with praise, this has a ton of rough edges.

This is all true. Been reported, they simply must have ran out of time and money. Now it is all about post release support.

It's pretty much like any other Larian game I've played so I'm not expecting a wealth of fixes.

35. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 1, 2014, 18:54 Quinn

I love this raw feel European devs put in their games. These perfect imperfections. It remind me of the first Gothic. Those games are only properly respected by a relatively small group, also because the games don't hold your hand and you're kinda thrown in the deep.

I've only managed to put 2 hours into the retail version of Divinity yet. I'm extremely EXTREMELY surprised about the amount of voiceacting! Axis mentioned it last week it'd be included but I expected simple "Good day"s and "Farewell"s and some "Now you die!"s here and there, but your heroes and NPCs are fully voiced whenever they say something that's not in a dialogue box. It adds a ton and another ton to immersion. I like!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

34. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 1, 2014, 16:18 Zanderat1

So you closed down STEAM and the game still started without it?  

33. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 1, 2014, 16:04 HorrorScope

Redmask wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 10:14:
I really enjoy the combat which is challenging without being stupidly hard but I have many complaints about the rest. The camera in this game is a god damned nightmare, in the way all the fucking time. For an RPG the shoddy writing is surprising, these guys should have hired some proof readers. I've found some of the quest text to be so amateurish that it pulls you right out of the game. Inventory management is pretty annoying as well, the interface feels cobbled together. Is there a way to toggle group/single mode? Having to manually toggle stealth for everyone is pretty dumb. Why is the crafting such a pain in the ass while I'm at it here, I can't believe they thought it was ok to ship with that. The default run speed should have been higher too.

I think it's good but people are going overboard with praise, this has a ton of rough edges.

This is all true. Been reported, they simply must have ran out of time and money. Now it is all about post release support.

32. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 1, 2014, 10:49 Eirikrautha

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 23:51:
Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 21:55:
I've played about an hour, and it really scratches that old-school RPG itch. It feels a bit rough around the edges (the camera is awkward and the way it clips to provide visuals is annoying), but the basics seem solid. I'm not sure about the combat/magic system yet, but tht's only because I'm not very far in. We'll see how it goes...

If you like a lot of options, there is no better.

Also it may help if you don't know, there is a staight up and down view that helps sometimes when trying to click something that is hard to get at isometrically. You can also flip a switch in the Game Settings menu to rotate a full 360.

Thanks! That's helpful.

31. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 1, 2014, 10:14 Redmask

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo