Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'm pretty sure the Steam sale added another full lifetime's worth of games to my backlog. And that's for someone who is normal about gaming, but I am a deep dive type who tends to stay with games longer to boot. Oh well, I can dream.

R.I.P.: Meshach Taylor dies at 67; actor known for 'Designing Women' role.

Dreamy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Tower of the Archmage.
Vector Cannon.
Link: 4 Ways You're Accidentally Killing Your Favorite TV Shows.
Media: Doom - Did You Know Gaming?
Battlefield 4 - Singing Shark.
Portal - Flappy Turret [Flappy Bird Parody].

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

56. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2014, 15:40 nin

Fantaz wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 15:33:
fiftykyu wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 21:21:
Ok, just finished Gone Home, wow! Short game, but great. Now I'm wondering what other little treasures I may have picked up in previous sales and promptly forgot about...

don't call Gone Home a game! it's not a game!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2014, 15:33 Fantaz

fiftykyu wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 21:21:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 18:26:
@ 50Kyu:

You've got some gems in there:
- Brothers (must have a controller. don't play with kbd / mouse)
- Gone Home
- Gunpoint
- Rogue Legacy
- BG2 (you knew that already)
- Torchlight 2
- Mass Effect

Also, I heard AC4 is great, but haven't played it. And I had a blast with Bulletstorm, although I know there are others who don't like it.

Ok, just finished Gone Home, wow! Short game, but great. Now I'm wondering what other little treasures I may have picked up in previous sales and promptly forgot about...

don't call Gone Home a game! it's not a game!

54. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2014, 01:39 Ant

I bought nothing from Steam sales.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

53. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 21:21 fiftykyu

@ 50Kyu:

- Gone Home
- Gunpoint
- Rogue Legacy
- Torchlight 2
- Mass Effect

Also, I heard AC4 is great, but haven't played it. And I had a blast with Bulletstorm, although I know there are others who don't like it.

52. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 15:38 fiftykyu

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 11:13:
Will wait on Baldur's Gate II until after I finish the Steam Baldur's Gate - hopefully I still remember how to play. I find it's tricky to jump back into RPGs - can't remember what I was doing or how to do it.

BG2 was my first hardcore D+D experience, and I knew nothing about THAC0, etc...totally hairpulling experience, trying to figure out WTF was going on. Still an awesome game, and I don't regret it...

Never played much D&D in real life, but have always loved the computer RPGs like Wizardry, Ultima, Bard's Tale, the SSI "Gold Box" games, plus all the dozens I've forgotten. Wouldn't have the patience to draw maps on graph paper today, but it sure seemed fun at the time.

I remember getting out of work early to pick up my Baldur's Gate preorder, and when I got to the store the price had been raised $5. The guy working there gave some kind of smug comment like "You know you'll buy it anyway" and he was right, but he didn't have to sound so happy about it.

51. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 14:40 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 13:38:
Is that a bad bargain?

I understand your reasoning and I respect it. Thumbsup

50. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 13:38 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 13:04:
mag wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 02:21:
You are hilarious.

Are you trying to win the Old Man Cutter award?

*goes to game website*

*tells everyone to stop playing games you damn kids*

Hoarding games that one will never finish doesn't make one a gamer. It makes one a fool that easily parts with his / her money. Quality over quantity. It reminds of a documentary about these ladies that are obsessed with coupons and will stock up with years worth of items, because they were discounted, yet unlikely to actually use them. Meanwhile, that money could have been invested or saved.

Honestly, while yes it's bad to buy something you'll never use because it's on sale, the cost of gaming per hour as entertainment is one of the least expensive hobbies there is. Most of these games we buy are between $2 and $10, and each one provides hours of play. And having the game in your library so you can play it when you want is worth the opportunity cost of a muffin or a cup of coffee. It's not like people are spending $1000s on skis or surfboards and never using them. And lastly, even if you never play the game, you're supporting an industry you love, making it robust and vibrant.

Also, if you own a TV, why isn't it on 24/7? If it's not on every waking minute, you're not getting "the maximum entertainment value out of it." Not finishing a game doesn't mean people aren't getting the max entertainment value out of it. I've played Oblivion twice, each time I only got 1/3 the way through. Yet each time I got 50 hours of entertainment out of it. Since I picked it up for $30, that comes out to about $0.33 per hour. Is that a bad bargain?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

49. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 13:17 BobBob

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 02:24:
Yeah, why the fuck even post here????

I've never been against purchasing a game to get the maximum entertainment value out of it. What I find disturbing is the hoarding culture that seems to be a new fad in gaming. It's wasteful and foolish.

48. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 13:14 BobBob

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 03:52:
Last year I bought my wife a new 2013 Wranger Unlimited in her favorite color for her b-day. Those aren't cheap.

I consider myself fortunate that my wife would prefer to use birthday gift money to travel around places that we haven't been before (ex: small European countries or an obscure location in the US) vs. spending the money on expensive clothes or material possessions. All a matter of preference, of course.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2014, 13:24.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 13:04 BobBob

You are hilarious.

*goes to game website*

Hoarding games that one will never finish doesn't make one a gamer. It makes one a fool that easily parts with his / her money. Quality over quantity. It reminds of a documentary about these ladies that are obsessed with coupons and will stock up with years worth of items, because they were discounted, yet unlikely to actually use them. Meanwhile, that money could have been invested or saved.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2014, 13:20.

46. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 11:13 nin

Will wait on Baldur's Gate II until after I finish the Steam Baldur's Gate - hopefully I still remember how to play. I find it's tricky to jump back into RPGs - can't remember what I was doing or how to do it.

BG2 was my first hardcore D+D experience, and I knew nothing about THAC0, etc...totally hairpulling experience, trying to figure out WTF was going on. Still an awesome game, and I don't regret it...

45. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 09:12 xXBatmanXx

Not sure if anyone here is active in the Steam Market - but the new Buy Sell stuff is pretty nice. I have a lot of Buy orders out there for pretty low on booster packs and other things, and I get a few a day at ridiculously low prices. I just turn around and sell them or open boosters and sell the units for a huge profit. Yea it is only 10 cents per card, but holy shnickies it is adding up fast!  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

44. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 08:46 fiftykyu

@ 50Kyu:

- Gone Home
- Gunpoint
- Rogue Legacy
- Torchlight 2
- Mass Effect

Already have a controller, couldn't play stuff like Dark Souls without it!

Haven't played more than a few hours in any of the previous Assassin's Creed games, but everyone's said how much fun the pirate ship stuff is so I should probably take a look at some point.

Suspect I'd have the same problem with Mass Effect, so maybe I should try some new games instead of replaying old ones.

Looked around in the Secret World for a while, the hunting for hidden stuff sounded interesting but it also felt like I'd played the game before - guess MMOs will always feel like MMOs...

Gone Home doesn't sound like one I've played before, will give that a try next. Thank you for the suggestions!

43. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 03:52 xXBatmanXx

BobBob wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 21:40:
Just imagine if you had saved that money and invested it instead of buying games. You wouldn't have to live in mom's basement, could be driving nice cars, started a family, gotten a good education. Just imagine. Still young? Read this post again when you turn 30.

You are hilarious.

*goes to game website*

heh. I've done all of those things, and still *gasp* buy lots of games! Last year I bought my wife a new 2013 Wranger Unlimited in her favorite color for her b-day. Those aren't cheap.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 02:39 Beamer

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 02:24:
Just imagine if you had saved that money and invested it instead of buying games. You wouldn't have to live in mom's basement, could be driving nice cars, started a family, gotten a good education. Just imagine. Still young? Read this post again when you turn 30.

You are hilarious.

*goes to game website*

He's the same guy that, in another topic, said it's a shame that the government had to take so much of CliffyB's money that he couldn't stay retired. Not for our benefit, but it's somehow unfair that a 36 year old with tens of millions of dollars may feel obligated to not sit around and do nothing with it his entire life.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

41. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 02:24 nin

You are hilarious.

*goes to game website*

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 02:21 mag

You are hilarious.

*goes to game website*

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 01:28 Agent.X7

nin wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 18:15:
fiftykyu wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 18:14:
Ahh, the Steam sale. Apologies for the spam incoming...

Looks like I got around 150 games

Holy shit! You win the Prez award!

I keep seeing everyone's Steam sale list and they blow my mind. I bought The Wolf Among Us. And...yeah, that's it. Whoo, $8!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 00:39 xXBatmanXx

jdreyer wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 18:04:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 12:26:

That is pretty cool. Pride here in MPLS is pretty large and very successful. My wife no longer works downtown at a restaurant so we forgot about it (it sometimes turns into a shit show - she is glad she doesn't work it) and cut across town - DOH! Got stuck for a bit in the parade traffic but wasn't that bad.

Have you ever had to work it?

Nope. I don't work for MPLS or Transit.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2014, 21:40 BobBob

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo