Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Summer Sales Ending

The GOG.com Summer Sale ends tomorrow, and they've put up all 30 of their DRM-free flash bundle deals online for one last chance. Likewise tomorrow is the final day of the Steam Summer Sale, which also now offers an unusual number of deals, so you may want to take one last look too, presuming it hasn't already beaten your wallet into submission.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jul 1, 2014, 09:37 Redmask

Quinn wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 13:58:
Beamer wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 12:51:

I also think "immersion" is a more bullshit term than things like "synergy" or "paradigm.".

You're so full of shit, Beamer, that you even manage to come up with dumb shit like this to say. It's all about just finding something to be an asshole about with you, I begin to realize.

There's nothing bullshit about a perfectly adequate term like "immersion". Those who value it don't automatically think they are person X they're playing.

If you want to call someone out on bullshit or call them a loon, don't say retarded shit like that.

You want to talk about infantile comments then you need look no further than your own. The above is a perfect example.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jul 1, 2014, 01:20 Quinn

Nin. Isn't that that guy that mostly comes into a discussion, spews some random shit into the air, and ppl somehow think he's awesome for it? Like that last comment. Wtf was that for infantile bs?  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

52. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 21:45 Axis

NiN puts everyone on ignore who at some point proves him wrong, and yet he talks shit about those people for no reason time and time and time again.

Classy troll... classy.

Yours truly,

Axis

51. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 19:30 panbient

nin wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 18:45:
Friends don't let friends read Quinn! Or Axis!

Thanks for the heads up hahaha

Also for your 3DS comment from earlier. I strongly recommend the last Zelda game, especially if you liked it on the SNES back in the day. Fire Emblem is freaking awesome too. And if you like old school grindy RPGs the Etrian Odyssey series is ace (AND you get to draw the maps on the touch screen )

50. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 18:52 Quinn

panbient wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 18:19:
Quinn wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 09:41:
panbient wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 03:40:
Slightly nicer graphics have never made a game better, just prettier.

Wrong. Just wrong. It does make a game better because prettier graphics are better for immersion, which still is the #1 reason I play games.

So why does your personal preference make my opinion invalid or somehow incorrect? You play games for 'immersion', fine, I play them for distraction.

Would you tell people who prefer music based on the interplay between the instruments that they're 'wrong. just wrong' because you prefer latching onto the vocal hook?

You were just as much making my opinion invalid with your statement so this thing right here goes both ways.

And better graphics are better, really. It's quite obvious. Divinity has alright looking graphics, but even though this game gets all its magic from all other factors than the graphics... It'd always be better if the graphics were better.

You play games for distraction. So do I. The least immersion, the least distraction. Quite obvious, too, since immersion kinda means a strong mental involvement in something. If that's not there, it's not much of a distraction.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

49. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 18:45 nin

panbient wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 18:19:

Wrong. Just wrong. It does make a game better because prettier graphics are better for immersion, which still is the #1 reason I play games.

So why does your personal preference make my opinion invalid or somehow incorrect? You play games for 'immersion', fine, I play them for distraction.

Would you tell people who prefer music based on the interplay between the instruments that they're 'wrong. just wrong' because you prefer latching onto the vocal hook?

Friends don't let friends read Quinn! Or Axis!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

48. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 18:19 panbient

47. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 14:58 Axis

Beamer wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 14:11:

I also think "immersion" is a more bullshit term than things like "synergy" or "paradigm.".

You're so full of shit, Beamer, that you even manage to come up with dumb shit like this to say. It's all about just finding something to be an asshole about with you, I begin to realize.

There's nothing bullshit about a perfectly adequate term like "immersion". Those who value it don't automatically think they are person X they're playing.

If you want to call someone out on bullshit or call them a loon, don't say retarded shit like that.

Note: prefacing something with "I also think" implies an opinion, not a statement of fact.
If someone can't enjoy Tetris, though, because it isn't immersive, they're likely a loon.

Beamer you too often make idiotic comparisons and are no where near the mark of what is being said. Course you already know that, you just argue for the sake of arguing.

Which would be fine if you were right and people just didn't like to hear it, but you are mostly self-serving and a whole lotta wrong.

Yours truly,

Axis

46. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 14:23 saluk

Great sale. I bought about 20 games or so from both steam and gog. Most were in the "I might be interested if this game is under 5$ but I'm not super excited about it" category, but a few have been on my wishlist for a while. Saints Row 4, Metro Last Light and some of the local multi hits from Steam, Democracy 3 and Depths of Peril on Gog. (Depths of Peril is really cool but almost always overpriced!)  

45. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 14:11 Beamer

Note: prefacing something with "I also think" implies an opinion, not a statement of fact.
If someone can't enjoy Tetris, though, because it isn't immersive, they're likely a loon.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

44. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 13:58 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

43. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 12:55 nin

Creston wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 01:41:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 29, 2014, 23:55:
Oh and I have a soft spot for Are you Smarter then a 5th Grader on my Android Phone/Tablet

Well, don't keep us in suspense any longer! Are you?

I'm not sure if I can 1UP that, but I will say I bought a 3ds just to play...Animal Crossing!!!!!

(Side note: That motherfucker Tom Nook is responsible for the home loan crisis!)

42. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 12:51 Beamer

nin wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 12:47:
Jivaro wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 01:35:
Brataccas wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 00:49:
I'm a gamer.

I play shit on whatever platform I'm having fun on. Be it from Tetris back on the good old 1st gen Gameboy, Pokemon series on a 2Ds, Super Star Wars on a SNES, Sonic the Hedgehog on a Sega Genesis, Warhawk on the Playstation, Zelda on a N64, Halo on a Xbox, Metal Gear 2 on a PS2, Infamous on a PS3, All the Forza's on the 360, and just about everything else on my PC.
Oh and I have a soft spot for Are you Smarter then a 5th Grader on my Android Phone/Tablet, along with a copy of Minecraft for Consoles/PC/Tablet, even though my phone and tablet both have GTA3 on them as well.

Shut the fuck up, and quit worrying about what other people say and enjoy what you want, where you want it.

Cheers

Cheers

3rded...as a gamer, I go where the good games are.

It's the way to do it.
Then again, I also think "immersion" is a more bullshit term than things like "synergy" or "paradigm." I've never felt like I was Gordon Freeman or JC or Nathan Drake. Bad graphics don't stop me from playing OpenXcom, and it doesn't make Doom feel less "immersive" than the new Thief.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

41. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 12:47 nin

Jivaro wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 01:35:
Brataccas wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 00:49:
I'm a gamer.

I play shit on whatever platform I'm having fun on. Be it from Tetris back on the good old 1st gen Gameboy, Pokemon series on a 2Ds, Super Star Wars on a SNES, Sonic the Hedgehog on a Sega Genesis, Warhawk on the Playstation, Zelda on a N64, Halo on a Xbox, Metal Gear 2 on a PS2, Infamous on a PS3, All the Forza's on the 360, and just about everything else on my PC.
Oh and I have a soft spot for Are you Smarter then a 5th Grader on my Android Phone/Tablet, along with a copy of Minecraft for Consoles/PC/Tablet, even though my phone and tablet both have GTA3 on them as well.

Shut the fuck up, and quit worrying about what other people say and enjoy what you want, where you want it.

Cheers

Cheers

3rded...as a gamer, I go where the good games are.

40. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 11:05 Quinn

Axis wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 10:31:
Divinity: Original Sin has been officially released!

Now get back up to #1 on the sale asap!!!

Working from 12:00 to 21:00 today. WHYYYYY!!?

Can't wait to put an obsessed amount of love in character creation and get playing! Woo!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

39. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 10:31 Axis

Divinity: Original Sin has been officially released!

Now get back up to #1 on the sale asap!!!

Yours truly,

Axis

38. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 09:51 ASeven

Prez has failed me on this summer sale.

He knows what I'm talking about.

37. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 09:41 Quinn

Wrong. Just wrong. It does make a game better because prettier graphics are better for immersion, which still is the #1 reason I play games. There are 3 reasons I can't stand console gaming, because they have a negative impact on immersion:

1. The controller. I'm as good as any other moderate player with a controller, but hell.. just looking around to take in the view takes effort (as in.. it feels much more unnatural than doing it with the mouse);
2. The "living room" setting. Many love it, and that's absolutely fine, but it puts a giant, fat wedge between me and the game;
3. Graphics. Look at Skyrim, for example. Horrendous looking game on consoles.

To someone like me who values immersion so much, graphics are an important thing indeed. They don't necessarily have to be awesome -- I can find myself lost in Divinity for example -- but if they can be prettier, it's always better.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

36. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 03:40 panbient

The only games I paid for during these sales were The Witcher Enhanced Edition and Port Royale 2. Both paid for entirely with trading cards and TF2 drops.

As for the whole 'what PCs do better' shenanigan going on. From my perspective, especially back in the day, what set the PC apart was its ability to run simulations and more complex game systems. Graphics and story have always been subjective and it seems to me that story in games really got its start as a feature with 8-bit RPGs like the original Final Fantasy or Phantasy Star, then really came into their own during the SNES era when the whole point of the games was pretty much to tell a story.

Even now what really sets the PC apart in my eyes are things like the DCS series or the high end racing sims. Those are the type of games that ONLY the PC can handle properly. Not because of what they look like or what stories they tell but because of the complexity of the systems operating just below the surface.

35. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 30, 2014, 03:11 Quinn

God was I drunk when I wrote that. Lmao! BUT...! The Netherlands won Woo!  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo