Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold

Mojang Data Analyst Patrick Geuder tweets the latest impressive sales milestone for Minecraft, saying console sales have now surpassed Windows/OS X sales, and that the open world construction game has blown past the 50 million sales mark: "Minecraft console editions together just passed Minecraft for PC/Mac. And across all platforms we've sold almost 54 million copies." Minecraft is the third best-selling video game of all time, though it will have to sell more than 25 million more copies to pass Wii Sports for number two, and almost 90 million more copies to snag the top spot from Tetris. Thanks CraveOnline.

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 30, 2014, 10:52 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 16:48:
Dagnamit wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 15:06:
Cutter wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 13:46:
Dagnamit wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 11:33:
C'mon Cuts, your Minecraft hate only comes across as jealousy. Also, there's no such thing as an in-crowd.

And everything else you have to say is invalid after that statement.

you just don't offer any valid criticism of the game other than saying its a bandwagon affair. Newsflash, most popular things start off as a bandwagon, but Minecraft has absolutely transcended all boundaries. Like I said, (you read it) it's a cultural phenomenon. It reaches almost everyone now. This in-crowd of which you speak, is almost everyone but you. the "in-crowd" is just phrase used to disparage something.

Clearly you don't understand a thing about sociology. You can do a doctorate on the topic if you like but I'll keep it simple.

"What is a cultural phenomenom?

A cultural phenomenon, also known as the bandwagon effect, occurs when certain individuals behave a certain way merely because other individuals do as well. An example of a cultural phenomenon is the trend of sending flowers on Valentine's Day.

Hahahaha what are you, 13 years old? I can't like this game because other people do! Wow so edgy and unique!

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 27, 2014, 09:59 Mr. Tact

I have no issue with anyone who wants to say they don't like Minecraft, to each their own. However, anyone who says it's a bad game or complains about the graphics or whatever is either ignorant of the facts or simply isn't engaging their brain.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

55. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 22:35 NewMaxx

harlock wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 20:19:
NewMaxx wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 19:55:
I certainly didn't enjoy Minecraft since it was popular; if anything, I stopped playing when it did become popular.

yeh i played minecraft before it was cool Beatnik

To be honest I played it after it was "before it was cool" but before it "was cool." I had heard of it but didn't buy it at the time, but even when I did it wasn't huge yet, so I can't claim the fame of having been on the ground floor with that one. Basically I didn't want to be one of those people who latches onto something new that MIGHT become poserish but neither did I want to latch onto it after it was CERTAINLY poserish...I was in-between. If that makes sense.

(Star Citizen would be a more current example...I've been following it so long I have a "Golden Ticket" or whatever the hell but now I feel it's gone too far for me to invest in it)

54. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 21:58 Sepharo

I can't believe Cutter spent the time writing that all up for a game he doesn't care about. That shit is verging on parody, poe's law in here.  

53. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 20:22 loomy

for all you debaters, minecraft's excellence does not correlate with its popularity. it's popular because creative building/lego games were and are still rare. it's easier to corner the market when you are left alone for 10 years

getting rich isn't notch's reward for being wonderful, it's profit loss punishment for all the other assholes who thought there was no demand for construction games. assholes

52. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 20:19 harlock

NewMaxx wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 19:55:
I certainly didn't enjoy Minecraft since it was popular; if anything, I stopped playing when it did become popular.

yeh i played minecraft before it was cool Beatnik

51. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 19:55 NewMaxx

I played a bit of Minecraft simply because I like using my imagination a little bit. I got it relatively early in its development and had a lot of fun just making my own adventures. Eventually it did get huge and I even played on a large server or two, but I never really got too serious with it. I had one world I built with my cousin over a week or two when we just got drunk when he got laid off and just made an awesome world together...he's someone who lives distant and it was nice to reconnect again.

I haven't played in a while, but my ex-girlfriend (well, she's more of a sister, we remain friends) and her daughter run their own server and it's really been good for her. I don't want to get into her particular situation but she had a lot of bad things in her life and was often really lonely, but she is amazingly creative and crafty and loves video games. So getting her into that, seeing how running her own server helped her cope and get back on her feet and back into college, seeing that it was good for her relationship with her daughter, I find it pretty insulting that someone would say that Minecraft is a waste of time or only for "bandwagon" people.

Then again, as a kid I spent more time imagining things and building weird stuff with blocks and LEGOs and everything else, so maybe my viewpoint is different. I certainly didn't enjoy Minecraft since it was popular; if anything, I stopped playing when it did become popular. It was just nice to not have to login to a game that was 5 minutes of killing people over and over again on the same half dozen maps for virtual points that will be reset in a year. If you can't see the appeal in Minecraft then quite honestly I don't consider you a gamer at heart...maybe you're a narcissist, an opinionated loudmouth, or something else drives your motivation, but it's certainly not a love of gaming.

50. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 19:44 Fibrocyte

C'mon Cuts, your Minecraft hate only comes across as jealousy. Also, there's no such thing as an in-crowd.

you just don't offer any valid criticism of the game other than saying its a bandwagon affair. Newsflash, most popular things start off as a bandwagon, but Minecraft has absolutely transcended all boundaries. Like I said, (you read it) it's a cultural phenomenon. It reaches almost everyone now. This in-crowd of which you speak, is almost everyone but you. the "in-crowd" is just phrase used to disparage something.

Clearly you don't understand a thing about sociology. You can do a doctorate on the topic if you like but I'll keep it simple.

A cultural phenomenon, also known as the bandwagon effect, occurs when certain individuals behave a certain way merely because other individuals do as well. An example of a cultural phenomenon is the trend of sending flowers on Valentine's Day.

A cultural phenomenon also occurs when something or someone gains widespread popularity. This includes everything from films to musical artists to clothing styles. The thing that gains popularity is not a cultural phenomenon; rather, the cultural phenomenon is the process of something becoming popular. For example, Beyonce accumulating a large fan base is a cultural phenomenon. The theory is people are more prone to like something because other people like it."

And yes, the in-crowd isn't me. Never has been, never will be. I disparage anyone who goes along because it's the easy thing to do. Because they're afraid to be on the outside. I've rebelled my whole life over that shit. Maybe I'm just a contrarian but the idea of living a life going to BBQs and ballgames, and hanging out around the water cooler talking about American Idol or playing Minecraft simply because other people do makes me throw up in my mouth.

What criticism of the actual game do I need to provide? That its ugly? That other games have editors that allow you build stuff? If you think mining pixels or voxels or whatever the fuck they are is the height of culture then you're only proving my point for me.

What exactly does Minecraft provide as an actual game that no other game can provide. Please educate me. What exactly is the draw that's so utterly compelling and unique about it? I tried it for all of 30 minutes and I literally found that watching paint dry was far more entertaining. Literally.

No, it's a cultural phenomenon. One member of the herd hears about it and is told that this is what all the cool kids are doing. And being the conformist he is he can risk social alienation or he can go along with the crowd. Then when someone asks him about it it gives him a sense of validation and self-importance. And the cycle continues.

I'll just leave this here on my way out....
Conformity

Wow - I always pegged you as unintelligent, often drunk, and probably homeless or damn near it, but now I can add fruitcake to the list.

49. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 18:40 Beamer

Dades wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 18:36:
People play Minecraft because they like it, it is pretty much the opposite of a game where conformity is any concern. Everyone tends to play it differently and make different things, no one is conforming to anything. That's the whole point of Minecraft, it is almost structure free and lets people shape it to what they want. That's not conformity, thats individuality.

I've got news for you about the people who play Minecraft, many of them are just like you. You should try the game sometime so you understand it before you dismiss it because you see a lot of people streaming it on Youtube. It would be fine if you just didn't like Minecraft for the gameplay but you're just saying its bad because some vague number of people like it which is something I would expect to hear from a teenager. I don't even like Minecraft but I don't tell myself I'm James Dean for not playing it.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

You're a conformist unless you think just like Cutter and agree with him on every single video game. And, for the record, he never dislikes anything because it doesn't appeal to him, rather, everything he dislikes objectively is terrible, which must be repeated regularly all over the internet.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

48. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 18:36 Dades

What criticism of the actual game do I need to provide? That its ugly? That other games have editors that allow you build stuff? If you think mining pixels or voxels or whatever the fuck they are is the height of culture then you're only proving my point for me.

What exactly does Minecraft provide as an actual game that no other game can provide. Please educate me. What exactly is the draw that's so utterly compelling and unique about it? I tried it for all of 30 minutes and I literally found that watching paint dry was far more entertaining. Literally.

No, it's a cultural phenomenon. One member of the herd hears about it and is told that this is what all the cool kids are doing. And being the conformist he is he can risk social alienation or he can go along with the crowd. Then when someone asks him about it it gives him a sense of validation and self-importance. And the cycle continues.

People play Minecraft because they like it, it is pretty much the opposite of a game where conformity is any concern. Everyone tends to play it the way they want, they have individual goals and creativity abounds - no one is conforming to anything. That's the whole point of Minecraft, it is almost structure free and lets people shape it to what they want. That's not conformity, thats individuality.

I've got news for you about the people who play Minecraft, many of them are just like you. You should try the game sometime so you understand it before you dismiss it because you see a lot of people streaming it on Youtube. It would be fine if you just didn't like Minecraft for the gameplay but you're just saying its bad because some vague number of people like it which is something I would expect to hear from a teenager. I don't even like Minecraft but I don't tell myself I'm James Dean for not playing it.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

47. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 18:29 Orogogus

saluk wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 17:33:
A group of friends can get together, build things together, be creative together, and customize a game experience to their own desires, without leaving the game. This is something that hasn't really been done anywhere close to this level before. The graphics have an appeal, you may think they are ugly, but they are attractive to people. They strike a balance between simplicity, conveyance, expressibility etc. They allow unskilled creators to build decently looking things that still fit their surroundings.

I don't even play Minecraft, but it seems obvious to me that this is the draw. A simple Google search for Minecraft creations turns up links to top 5, top 15, top 93, top 21, top 27, top 50 things built in Minecraft. I opened up the top 25 one and there's a ton of player-built cities, a virtual computer, pixel art, the Battlestar Galactica, etc. If there was a pre-existing video game that had an editor that let people build stuff like this, what was it?

46. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 18:25 Numinar

Sometimes things are popular because they are good.

To me it evokes a kind of first person Dungeon Keeper. It may be lego, but lego with real dangers. Your shit can totally get blown up, and real consequences for mistakes in that you can lose valuable resources when you die if unable to make the corpse run in time.

Best server I've been on had the industrial mods installed. I hollowed out mountains for resources and built an open air temple invoking Phil Fishian ruins and mystery. Easily can loose days in it once I get in the mood. Will double dip on a split screen/console version once the young'n is a bit older.

Just wish someone would clone this fucker properly, with more persistancy, optimisations, emergent game systems and AI so we can have some kind of graphical multiplayer FPS Dwarf Fortress sim on the go.

But as it is, a unique-per-generation terrainscape with 9.3 million times the surface area of the earth, with it's own set or rules, mechanics, wonders and dangers would be enough for most children and some adults to be fascinated by for hours on end.

45. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 17:51 dj LiTh

As a soon to be parent, i cant wait to be playing with legos again (once the little one is of the proper age to avoid choking hazards of course). I rather spend 10,000$ on lego(s) then 5$ on this to further their development.  

44. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 17:33 saluk

A cultural phenomenon also occurs when something or someone gains widespread popularity. This includes everything from films to musical artists to clothing styles. The thing that gains popularity is not a cultural phenomenon; rather, the cultural phenomenon is the process of something becoming popular. For example, Beyonce accumulating a large fan base is a cultural phenomenon. The theory is people are more prone to like something because other people like it."

And yes, the in-crowd isn't me. Never has been, never will be. I disparage anyone who goes along because it's the easy thing to do. Because they're afraid to be on the outside. I've rebelled my whole life over that shit. Maybe I'm just a contrarian but the idea of living a life going to BBQs and ballgames, and hanging out around the water cooler talking about American Idol or playing Minecraft simply because other people do makes me throw up in my mouth.

Conformity

A group of friends can get together, build things together, be creative together, and customize a game experience to their own desires, without leaving the game. This is something that hasn't really been done anywhere close to this level before. The graphics have an appeal, you may think they are ugly, but they are attractive to people. They strike a balance between simplicity, conveyance, expressibility etc. They allow unskilled creators to build decently looking things that still fit their surroundings.

Also, gamifying the creation aspects is pretty innovative. When people want to create X, they need to acquire enough Y, and there is a relatively simplistic but fun progression to go through to get that Y. This progression takes you through the randomly generated landscapes that are fun for people to explore.

One of my younger cousins is on the autistic spectrum, and he spends hours building things, chasing chickens, and whatever else. He doesn't do it because his friends do it, he does it because it gives him an expansive world that he can hope to understand. I'm sure this is not uncommon.

Surely the explosive growth and popularity can be attributed to a kind of network effect - but it wouldn't have happened the same way or had the kind of staying power it has had if the core had no value. And if you only played it for 30 minutes, and/or do not like to create things, you are not really in a position to "get it".

Realtime communal creativity amidst hardship is a genre now. Ignore it if you like, but it's a thing.

43. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 17:29 Dagnamit

you just don't offer any valid criticism of the game other than saying its a social alienation or he can go along with the crowd. Then when someone asks him about it it gives him a sense of validation and self-importance. And the cycle continues.

Conformity

sometimes something is just good and reaches a wider audience than originally anticipated.

42. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 16:48 Cutter

Conformity

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

41. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 16:12 Beamer

Wildone wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 16:11:
big deal

Yes, yes it is a big deal.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

40. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 16:11 Wildone

big deal  

39. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 15:06 Dagnamit

38. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 14:58 Quboid

Numinar wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 10:37:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 10:17:
InBlack wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 10:14:
Its kind of sad to see that in the park though. Whats the point of going outside to play if they are basically still playing minecraft on their ipads or whatever?? Sigh...50 years from now kids wont even know what a tree looks like in real life, they will probably recognise one in a picture on their tablet of choice...
agreed
Some kids spend way too much time staring at the screens.

Depends what it's replacing. If it's replacing playing alone in your dank bedroom writing hateful crap into global chat then doing it socially (trash talk and all) is probably a good thing, much like LANS and couch gaming are healthier and more fun than playing alone over the internet drunk.

Moderate dose of vitamin D is also healthy, any way you get it. Depending on where this park is the air may be better or worse than what it is inside.

That was my take on it, this would probably be a good thing. Better to play computer games together in fresh air and sunshine if that was what they were doing, which it's not. Playing with Lego (not "Legos"!) is probably better for all the real-world physics that it demonstrates but it beats playing alone in a dark room - not that that harmed meeeeee wibble wibble wibble

- Quboid

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo