Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I mentioned plans to see a doctor a while back about a pain in my shoulder that wasn't going away. It's commonly joked that one's pain often disappears once you arrive at the doctor's office, which actually happened in my case, even though I actually missed my appointment. Clearly whatever was aggravated at the time has settled down a bit, but the shoulder doesn't feel very strong, and I need to start working on rehabilitating it, but at least I'm no longer convinced that surgery is the only answer here (which makes me very glad I missed that appointment).

Appointed Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Squid Skid.
Mark of Darkness.
Woodwork Builder.
Links: Humanity Surprised It Still Hasn’t Figured Out Better Alternative To Letting Power-Hungry Assholes Decide Everything.
Flying—and crashing—a $1,300 quadcopter drone.
Stories: North Korea calls new Seth Rogen film 'an act of war'.
Jurgen Klinsmann wrote a note to your boss so you can watch USA-Germany. Thanks Digg.
Media: Charcoal And His Bucket.
Every airplane crossing the Atlantic in a 24-hour period.
Polish VW Golf III Has a Strange Sounding Engine.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2014, 08:44 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 08:20:
Julio wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 06:07:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 18:53:
Muslim extremists have killed more westerners than North Korea, sure.

And that's the primary difference - if Muslim extremists killed almost only Muslims, they'd be viewed pretty similar to North Korea's government.

If they killed only Muslims - we wouldn't be involved.....

Totally true.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2014, 08:20 xXBatmanXx

Julio wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 06:07:

And that's the primary difference - if Muslim extremists killed almost only Muslims, they'd be viewed pretty similar to North Korea's government.

If they killed only Muslims - we wouldn't be involved.....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2014, 06:07 Julio

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2014, 02:54 1badmf

tim howard has been long acknowledged as one of the best in the world. in fact that's one thing we've always had going for us; we seem to have no shortage of world class goalies. our backup brad guzan would probably be the starting keeper for any other team in the tournament. the rest is true; we don't have elite talent in the outfield, but we're also not as atrocious as the eurosnobs would have you believe.

that germany game was as much a result of klinsmann's tactics as it was a disparity in talent. it was clear to me his plan was to sit back, concede possession, defend with our superior size and athletic ability, then chase the game late. about the 80th minute we finally started to press high, force turnovers and create some chances. we could've done that the whole game, but we probably would've lost like 6-4. our attack is actually quite good and the germans' great weakness was a slow backline so we definitely could've bagged a few goals on them. we beat them 4-3 in mostly a B team matchup a few months ago.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2014, 01:04 Creston

1badmf wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 00:42:
i presume you don't follow US soccer too closely, cuz this is precisely the way our team and league are built. our best players in MLS are cherrypicked by european teams, spend a few years there and eventually come back. most of our lineup has played in europe at some point, some of them very successfully. to name a few; clint dempsey was a leading scorer for a team in the EPL for several years. michael bradley was a starting midfielder for AS Roma. jozy altidore scored 31 goals for a dutch league team. a lot of the rest play in germany.

the process you're talking about started a long time ago; that's why i think it'll take only a few more generations before we're competitive.

I don't watch it, no. Last time I looked (admittedly years and years ago), they were very hesitant to let the top US players go to other (far, far, FAR better) leagues, and like I explained, it was killing US soccer, which was an appalling product at the time. I saw better soccer at junior leagues in Holland.

If they've finally realized their folly and implemented the process, then yes, US soccer will get better because of it, but it is a slow process of growth.

None of the players on today's US team really struck me as top level, other than perhaps your goalie.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2014, 00:42 1badmf

Creston wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 14:36:
1badmf wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 14:08:
it'll be another generation of players, maybe two, before we can legitimately challenge for the cup.

Not if your best players keep staying mired in the swamp of poor play that is US soccer. All your best players need to play in European leagues for 8-10 years, then come back and raise the level of play in the entire US. This is a process that will take 20-30 years, but it's the only way it's going to happen.

Your best players aren't going to get better if all they play against are the dregs of US Soccer.

Germany dominated throughout, with the exception of the last two minutes when the US FINALLY started attacking. If none of your players can beat the opposing player one-on-one, all you're left with is continuously passing it around, and that rarely leads to wins.

I was amazed Germany only scored once. (Your goalie had a lot to do with that, and the defense played well.)

i presume you don't follow US soccer too closely, cuz this is precisely the way our team and league are built. our best players in MLS are cherrypicked by european teams, spend a few years there and eventually come back. most of our lineup has played in europe at some point, some of them very successfully. to name a few; clint dempsey was a leading scorer for a team in the EPL for several years. michael bradley was a starting midfielder for AS Roma. jozy altidore scored 31 goals for a dutch league team. a lot of the rest play in germany.

the process you're talking about started a long time ago; that's why i think it'll take only a few more generations before we're competitive.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 20:56 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 17:29:
There is no better combined strength and cardio exercise, period.

I think swimmers might disagree, but rowing is pretty damn awesome.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 18:53 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 18:39:
Asmo wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 18:08:
Ah North Korea, you're still making Muslim extremists seem balanced and reasonable...

Uh not really. Seeing as muslims are out actively killing people daily and all NK ever does is talk. In fact, I suspect most of the world would probably like to see them actually do something for once.

Muslim extremists have killed perhaps thousands (as ISIS appears to be doing currently. A shame that's the same acronym as Archer ). North Korea has killed millions of its own citizens through forced starvation. Millions more have been tortured. It's a regime of systematic brutality unparalleled in the modern world, even by backward regimes such as those like the Taliban or ISIS.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 18:39 Cutter

Asmo wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 18:08:
Ah North Korea, you're still making Muslim extremists seem balanced and reasonable...

Uh not really. Seeing as muslims are out actively killing people daily and all NK ever does is talk. In fact, I suspect most of the world would probably like to see them actually do something for once.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 18:27 xXBatmanXx

If you don't need surgery or do - still need to get that thing checked out/fixed. I have a lot of coworkers and friends who have ignored shoulder issues and ultimately found there were tears, disconnects of tissue, etc and it took many years to fix the problem....sometimes surgery.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 18:08 Asmo

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 17:59 jdreyer

Out of the blue, and a few years old, but this story about how they filmed the original Alien chestburster scene is pretty cool.  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 17:29 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 15:39:
Cutter wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 11:40:
Use it or lose it. That's what happens with age. It's why you absolutely NEED to be active regularly and SHOULD be doing something like Tai Chi, Yoga, Pilates, or just stretching in general - ever notice how much cats stretch all the time?

What Cutter said. A few years ago, work got so busy that I stopped working out for about a year. I got nasty, nasty capsulitis in both shoulders. I couldn't even put my shirt on over my head without help. Went to the Dr. and got diagnosed. He said hit the pool, but it wouldn't get completely better. I didn't swim, but I did start stretching and doing basic calisthenics daily. When I could, I started body weight exercises. Now, several years later, I'm completely pain free and have full range of motion.

I want all of you to get one of these.

Concept 2 Rowers

It's what the Olympians use. There is no better combined strength and cardio exercise, period. I was never fitter in my life then when I was rowing and will be returning to it next month. And that aside when you row, row, row your boat gently down the stream you find that merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.

Ahoy

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 17:24 Cutter

Numinar wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 15:12:
Streets of Munchen are very quiet given the win in the footy.... guess everyone considered it a formality.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for a bit of territorial creativity Cutter, It would be nice for the locals to win a modern war at least once in history, but the Bundeswehr barely has the manpower to invade a Chzech Beergarten these days.

You lead the charge mein Herr and I'll gladly invade a beergarten with you! Cheers

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 16:27 Quboid

Prez wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 16:01:
People still debate whether soccer players melodramatically flop around like bad-acting retards? It is so obvious that they do, they make the game utterly unwatchable for me.

Several people are arguing that it does happen in the mistaken belief that I'm arguing that it doesn't. I do think it happens less than most people seem to, including those who love the sport, but I've tried numerous times to make it clear that I think it happens too often.

- Quboid

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 16:01 Prez

People still debate whether soccer players melodramatically flop around like bad-acting retards? It is so obvious that they do, they make the game utterly unwatchable for me.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 15:43 Quboid

Creston, you've twice flounced off like your shrill little girl because you don't like me attempting to point out your error (and no, not intimidating, frustrated). If you read my comments and tried to comprehend them, even the bit you quoted, you might actually argue against my point. The only times you've got close to understanding me is when you've actually tried to be sarcastic.

Football consists of quick, sharp impact injuries. This results in a quick sharp pain which quickly subsides. Have you ever stubbed your toe? Ever bumped your shin against a coffee table? Closed a door on your hand? What happens? You shout, you swear, you limp a bit and then your wits return and you get on with your life. I don't know why this is complicated and I don't know why you insist on thinking that I'm calling football an especially dangerous sport played by warriors. I have repeatedly gone out of my way to say the opposite, and not just in that thread; likewise for saying that diving and associated fakery happens too much.

- Quboid

23. Soccer Championship Jun 26, 2014, 15:41 El Pit

Congratz to the US team! They made it to the next round and proved to be better than Portugal and the soccer player of the year, Cristiano Ronaldo. Germany was too strong and experienced for the US team, but nevertheless the US boys are playing a solid tournament.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 15:39 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 11:40:
Use it or lose it. That's what happens with age. It's why you absolutely NEED to be active regularly and SHOULD be doing something like Tai Chi, Yoga, Pilates, or just stretching in general - ever notice how much cats stretch all the time?

What Cutter said. A few years ago, work got so busy that I stopped working out for about a year. I got nasty, nasty capsulitis in both shoulders. I couldn't even put my shirt on over my head without help. Went to the Dr. and got diagnosed. He said hit the pool, but it wouldn't get completely better. I didn't swim, but I did start stretching and doing basic calisthenics daily. When I could, I started body weight exercises. Now, several years later, I'm completely pain free and have full range of motion.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 15:23 Creston

Quboid wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 15:10:
You've some nerve whining about me calling you out on this when you STILL haven't figured it out.

Is that supposed to sound intimidating or something? Because instead it sounds like a shrill little girl screaming that she's right and everyone else is wrong.

The entire fucking WORLD says that people in soccer flop way way way too much, and that it makes the sport plain irritating to watch sometimes. You pretend that there is little to no flopping, and that it's legitimately players being injured for 5 seconds, and then shrugging it off.

Okay dude. Whatever. I'm done fucking arguing with you about it. I genuinely couldn't give two shits about soccer to begin with, so thump your little chest and proclaim victory. You've won. There is no flopping in soccer. Rolleyes

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo