Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hello Games "Would Like" to Bring No Man's Sky to PCs

There's a story on Eurogamer on "How No Man's Sky stole the show at E3," talking about the strong reaction to the showing of the sci-fi game. The game is a PS4 console exclusive, and they offer a sidebar exploring the possibilities of a PC edition:

Having one of the most striking games of the moment on its stage was certainly a boon for Sony, though it's still not clear exactly what the exclusivity it has on No Man's Sky means. “The wording is we're doing a console debut on PS4,” says Murray. “The thing that that leaves open is a PC version.”

Does that mean a PC version could arrive day and date with the PS4 No Man's Sky - or possibly even before? “If I'm honest, we're taking on quite a lot at the moment,” says Murray. “We're definitely coming to PS4. I would like to come to PC. Whether that arrives the same day - we're a small team!”

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Hello Games Jun 26, 2014, 02:22 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 13:46:
NamecaF wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 10:30:
Yeah, this definitely has red flags all over it.

And after reading that interview with the devs, I lost interest in it.

The fact that it isnt truly procedurally generated content and is instead specifically crafted (so everyone's going to experience the same wildlife, flora, geography, etc of every planet) was a bit of a let down.

Not to mention the fact that their focus is simply being MMO exploration and space fighting rather than missions and a story/campaign bummed me out.

I was hoping it was going to be like a procedurally generated sci-fi Skyrim-type game with single player story/campaign, side missions, random jobs/quests, star system exploration, planetary exploration, space and land battles against AI enemies, AI NPCs, etc.

Maybe one day

Probably no day. [...]

Why not?
Maybe not on the machines we have now, in the sense that trying to simulate the human brain on normal computers is very inefficient because they work completely differently, but that doesn't mean that we won't have the type of computers who are very efficient at simulating an ai that is capable of procedurally generated missions that feel like they were written by a real person.
This is, of course, very fictional and the science behind it is highly questionable but I wouldn't necessarily rule out such an option.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 23:48 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 16:05:
I can't imagine this NOT coming to PC, although Sony does have a history of leaving games as PS exclusives, like Uncharted. It would be money of the table if they didn't. I'm very interested in this game, but I'll never own a PS.

The PS4 is basically a mid-range game PC, and I'm sure there are things that can be done to the game as is on PC that will make it look better and take advantage of the extra PC power: add AA, increase draw distance, add tessellation, etc.

Last generation a great deal of the downloadable third-party titles that were console-exclusive to the PS3 ended up on the PC eventually... even ones that Sony funded, like Hello Games' prior effort, Joe Danger.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2014, 21:32 Rigs

I understand the disappointment in the possibility of it not coming to PC but nothing has been announced that says it definitely won't. Just not at first. Still, I can't understand the mentality that these things can't exist in the same world at the same time. Once it was known that it wasn't coming to PC right away, all of a sudden the comments on how it's not as good as Elite start. Why does it have to be a competition? Elite has it's strengths as does NMS and SC. They can exist concurrently without having to battle for hierarchy. In all honestly, it really sounds that it's more of a 'defense mechanism' for some of you when you find out that it's not going to be on your preferred platform. Do I wish NMS was coming to PC? You bet your ass I do! But I'm not going to put the PS4 down and call NMS shit because it's not on my preferred gaming device...This is the rebirth (ugh...no pun intended) of the space-sim genre - BE HAPPY ABOUT IT! Hope it sells gangbusters! Hell, buy it even if you don't have a PS4 to show you support space-sims!

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

40. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 21:07 saluk

Still looking forward to it. Even if it is not as great as it sounds, I still think procedural tech is the way of the future. Less so for the gameplay in this case I think, and more in terms of graphics. With their small art team, there is no way they would have been able to create the rich graphical diversity that they have without the procedural technology. I see it more as a way to fix some annoying things games still have, such as cloned models, lack of diversity, etc. Even if this just turns out to be a cool proof of concept.

Do hope for a pc version though, no current or future plans to get a ps4. It is kind of annoying to see it get locked down as well.

39. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 18:24 HoSpanky

Hello Games' first game was a ps3 exclusive, and it showed up on pc alongside its weirdly xbox360-exclusive sequel. Both games are largely the same, graphically, with AA and whatnot but no better textures. They're a small company. The Joe Danger games are pretty damn fun tho, mix of Mario and Excitebike.

Last year they were independent and planning for an initial release on pc, then their offices were flooded and their insurance didn't cover it. I have a feeling that's when Sony swooped in to save their asses, they went silent for a while.

Complaining that it WAS on pc first and now isn't... is your own fault. If you're so butthurt, why didn't YOU cover their financial problem? Because you don't have the money, or you didn't care THAT much. Without Sony stepping up, NMS would have died.

Controls-wise, I never expected the game to require a billion buttons. It doesn't appear to be an overly complex game. If you think a team of like 10 guys is going to build a game remotely as complex as a 47 million dollar behemoth, you're delusional. I was just disappointed that there's no direct multiplayer. You can see people's notes and discoveries but not other actual players. I had hoped for at least some co-op exploration...oh well.

38. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 17:48 Numinar

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 17:04:
Verno wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 16:04:
Minecraft on the consoles is arguably dumbed down anyway. It just hasn't affected the PC version so far which is the exception rather than the rule.

You mean the built in wiki to build things?

This is an improvement.

Unless you are telling me you preferred to find out all these for yourself, or think second screening/wiki reference is something that adds to a game. (I say in the middle of a Payday Addiction which is kind of similar, the wiki is constantly up on my phone, but at least there pre-mission research is thematic.)

Dumbed down is different to having an intuitive interface and game mechanics. I think some of the things console have bought to us (dynamic, mostly invisible HUDS, HOTAS controls and optimisations) are good. The handholdy, game playing itself mainstreamyness is bad, agreed.

37. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 17:04 The Half Elf

Verno wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 16:04:
Minecraft on the consoles is arguably dumbed down anyway. It just hasn't affected the PC version so far which is the exception rather than the rule.

You mean the built in wiki to build things?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

36. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 16:25 Fion

I'm not sure how to feel about this. On the one hand, I'm pissed that yet again a console has taken a promising PC title. On the other, it also means they'll likely have the money to make the best game they possibly can.

If the PC version is released a bit later, I'm willing to wait for the superior game - one that hopefully is very mod oriented.

35. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 16:12 Beamer

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 15:06:
Beamer wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 14:47:
People have this weird notion that things are guaranteed to be dumbed down to be on consoles.
Because that is usually the case. Minecraft is the exception not the rule.
Just look at some of the older PC games that came out with a new fresh version recently also developed for the consoles. Games like Supreme Commander, Command and Conquer, or Thief. We also have games like Watch Dogs that got gimped in the graphics department in favor of the consoles, and the list goes on.
I think people rightfully so are concerned about games that are primarily developed for the consoles especially console exclusives.
Of course on the flip side we have PC exclusive games are are pretty dumbed down also like X-Rebirth, but thankfully not too many of those are in existence.

I didn't say it was the rule, I said immediately assuming something is dumbed down isn't right. This game seems most comparable to Minecraft. Minecraft succeeded by not being dumbed down. Why would anyone just assume this is going to be dumbed down?
People aren't saying "it'll probably be dumbed down, so I'll keep my expectations low," they're saying "I've already written this off because it's dumbed down."

Was the new X-COM dumbed down?
And who gives much of a shit about graphics? Big deal, the lighting wasn't as good in Watch Dogs. Who even knows if they would have had it right if it was PC only? Maybe it's that I'm older, but I hardly care about graphics these days. We've been "good enough" for a while. I'm happy to have to upgrade my PC less often. Good gameplay trumps good graphics, and most genres don't need to be dumbed down on consoles these days. The new ones aren't going to hold us back on loading for a long while. Most games can function well enough with console input to not have any major changes.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 16:05 jdreyer

I can't imagine this NOT coming to PC, although Sony does have a history of leaving games as PS exclusives, like Uncharted. It would be money of the table if they didn't. I'm very interested in this game, but I'll never own a PS.

The PS4 is basically a mid-range game PC, and I'm sure there are things that can be done to the game as is on PC that will make it look better and take advantage of the extra PC power: add AA, increase draw distance, add tessellation, etc.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

33. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 16:04 Verno

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

32. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 15:35 Overon

Beamer what hardware or software limitations does the PC game development environment have that prevents a developer from making the game they want that also does not simultaneously exist on the new consoles?. I can think of motion controls like kinect and that's it. Can you think anything else?

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2014, 17:41.

31. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 15:06 SpectralMeat

People have this weird notion that things are guaranteed to be dumbed down to be on consoles.
Because that is usually the case. Minecraft is the exception not the rule.
Just look at some of the older PC games that came out with a new fresh version recently also developed for the consoles. Games like Supreme Commander, Command and Conquer, or Thief. We also have games like Watch Dogs that got gimped in the graphics department in favor of the consoles, and the list goes on.
I think people rightfully so are concerned about games that are primarily developed for the consoles especially console exclusives.
Of course on the flip side we have PC exclusive games are are pretty dumbed down also like X-Rebirth, but thankfully not too many of those are in existence.

Steam: SpectralMeat

30. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 14:56 ASeven

Right on that number:
https://twitter.com/pgeuder/status/481812186390880257

And it's more than two consoles, and it's combining PCs and Macs, but regardless, it's sold more on consoles than PCs. It's not dumbed down. People have this weird notion that things are guaranteed to be dumbed down to be on consoles.

I stand corrected then.

29. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 14:47 Beamer

ASeven wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 14:41:
Beamer wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 14:29:
Minecraft has sold more on consoles than PC. Would you say it's "dumbed down?"

Wrong on that number.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/29/5665834/minecraft-sales-15m-copies-pc

Minecraft has sold more on PC than on both consoles. Also, lumping two platforms against one is a bit disingenuous.

Right on that number:
https://twitter.com/pgeuder/status/481812186390880257

And it's more than two consoles, and it's combining PCs and Macs, but regardless, it's sold more on consoles than PCs. It's not dumbed down. People have this weird notion that things are guaranteed to be dumbed down to be on consoles.

-------------

28. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 14:41 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 14:29:

Wrong on that number.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/29/5665834/minecraft-sales-15m-copies-pc

Minecraft has sold more on PC than on both consoles. Also, lumping two platforms against one is a bit disingenuous.

27. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 14:29 Beamer

Pr()ZaC wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 14:27:
verybad1 wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 14:02:
Overon wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 13:51:
If it ever comes to PC, it will hampered down by ps4 console limitations built in. So meh.

*meh* as regards to that, the PS4 is capable enough that most limitations based on the machine shouldn't necessarily make the result a bad game on PC. Early Xbox360 and PS3 games were fine for the time on PC (if the original game was good to begin with, and they did a decent job bringing it over)

Would the game test a top line PC game now? No, but that's not what defines good gameplay.
It's not because of the hardware, it's because of the audience.
SC or Elite are not being developed with a console-centric mentality, which normally would "dumb down" the experience.

Normally, maybe, but not always.

-------------

26. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 14:27 Pr()ZaC

verybad1 wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 14:02:
If it ever comes to PC, it will hampered down by ps4 console limitations built in. So meh.

*meh* as regards to that, the PS4 is capable enough that most limitations based on the machine shouldn't necessarily make the result a bad game on PC. Early Xbox360 and PS3 games were fine for the time on PC (if the original game was good to begin with, and they did a decent job bringing it over)

Would the game test a top line PC game now? No, but that's not what defines good gameplay.
It's not because of the hardware, it's because of the audience.
SC or Elite are not being developed with a console-centric mentality, which normally would "dumb down" the experience.

25. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 14:02 verybad1

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2014, 14:07.

24. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 13:51 Overon

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo