Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DICE on Bad Company 3: "Wait and See"

DICE general manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson talks with Eurogamer about the future of the Battlefield: Bad Company series, as there are voices clamoring for a return to that sub-franchise, in contrast to the announcement of Battlefield Hardline. "Well you'll have to wait and see," Troedsson said when asked if the Bad Company series would return. "The Bad Company sub brand is something we hold very near and dear. We'll take that into account when we think about the future." Strangely, he admits one of the reasons for being cagy about this is because they can't actually pin down what it is people liked about the first two Bad Companies:

"Some people say they found the multiplayer controls faster and more direct," he said. "Some people liked the single-player and the characters and the humour. People love different things about it. It's starting to almost get to that place where, if we were to make a sequel to Bad Company, what would than even imply?"

He continued: "It's scary to go back and try to remake an old fan favourite when actually no-one can really put their finger on what it is people love. Bringing back the characters and creating a great single-player out of that, sure, I can understand that.

"But some people say this: the Bad Company 2 multiplayer is the best you've ever done. Okay, why is that? It's hard for people to articulate what that is, which is actually hard for us. It would be hard to remake something like that. Can we do it? Of course. We have our theories when it comes to the multiplayer."

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 25, 2014, 08:13 ASeven

For the fun of it, here's a list of lies and PR bullshit from DICE.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 25, 2014, 04:18 Slick

<Electric-Spock> wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 23:37:
1) The netcode wasn't as horrid as it is with BF3 and BF4. Were they still doing sever side hit detection then?
2) Better map/level design. Maps for Rush mode were obviously designed around that mode and not just thrown in as an afterthought.
3) More on map design: There are just way too many vehicles on the fish bowl sized maps for BF3 and 4. I'm not sure if the level designers thought they had some good going, or if they had their hands tied trying to get the game to run on ancient console hardware.
4) The guns felt more devastating. It seems like the gunfire for BF3 and 4 were scaled around Metro and Locker sized maps. In BC2, you could have an assault rifle and still engage at long range. I'm not sure how they calculate the range/bullet drop for BF3 and 4, but it doesn't feel right.

1) no bf game (or any self-respecting FPS game) has ever had server-side hit detection. have you ever played a game with server side hit regs? you fire your weapon and 0.2 seconds later a bullet comes out, it's just about the worst thing ever.

2) yes, rush mode was great, and the main focus. people forget (or didn't know) that Badcompany 1 shipped with ONLY the rush mode (they added conquest for free 6-8 months after launch). objective based games modes are more focused, and usually more exciting

3) here's where you lose me, fishbowl sized maps in BF3 and BF4? are you kidding me? this is where people need to take off the nostalgia goggles. BC2 maps were Rush-based which means a long narrow snake-like map. other than the obvious exceptions metro/locker) the BF3/4 maps were very large. BF3 had the biggest map in BF history if i'm not mistaken.

4) this point plays into point #3. the maps were ALOT tighter, smaller, more focused and designed for 32 players instead of 64 in BC2. so yeah, the weapons felt like they hit further, but they really weren't! the maps were just alot smaller! you rarely could see more than 200m in any direction in BC2. think about it. nostalgia glasses are rose-tinted.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin

34. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 25, 2014, 01:45 eRe4s3r

harlock wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 16:03:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 14:58:
harlock wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 14:26:
if people want to buy it you can be damn sure they will be making it

haha, good joke ... Homeworld 3.. BF2142 sequel.... the list goes on.

you dont think its going to happen? pretty clueless

homeworld is no longer a running series

BF2142 was a 1-off fluke.. bad company already has 2 games in series

You said if people want to buy it it's going to be made, but this is 100% untrue. I would have bought PoE and D:OS if it had released, instead I had to crowdfund it, because NOBODY WAS MAKING IT, despite loads of people willing to buy it.

Companies like EA do not ever do what their (related game) community wants. They do a market analysis and if it doesn't project to sell 5m copies they are not making it, even if 2.99m would have bought it had it been made.

33. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 23:37 <Electric-Spock>

Wow...

I find it sad that a general manager of a game company has a hard time articulating or putting a finger on what made a game his company created... fun? Has he ever played the game or does he even game at all?

Others have stated similar stuff but here goes ...

1) The netcode wasn't as horrid as it is with BF3 and BF4. Were they still doing sever side hit detection then?
2) Better map/level design. Maps for Rush mode were obviously designed around that mode and not just thrown in as an afterthought.
3) More on map design: There are just way too many vehicles on the fish bowl sized maps for BF3 and 4. I'm not sure if the level designers thought they had some good going, or if they had their hands tied trying to get the game to run on ancient console hardware.
4) The guns felt more devastating. It seems like the gunfire for BF3 and 4 were scaled around Metro and Locker sized maps. In BC2, you could have an assault rifle and still engage at long range. I'm not sure how they calculate the range/bullet drop for BF3 and 4, but it doesn't feel right.

Given all this, while I have my reservations on BF Hardline, they have already proven on the last 2 games that they cannot get the large scale stuff right. At this point I welcome a smaller and more infantry focused game using the engine. Perhaps when they quit developing on 360 and PS3, we can actually have a true BF2
successor with maps proper in scale in relation to all the vehicles thrown in.

After typing this without much thought and it not being my day job, it sounds as if the DICE GM should step down and hand the reigns over to a few of us forum posters.

32. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 22:00 Slick

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 12:05:
I'd really like to see a retail game akin to Bad Company 2 Vietnam. That expansion was so fucking awesome.

this. was the best part of BC2

the rest of the intangible greatness that BC2 had was 3 things:

1) not super buggy on launch
2) 32 man instead of 64 means different style maps, more focused battles (cough hardline cough)
3) it was the first time PC players got to experience the new engine in a BF game, so it will always have a great nostalgia factor. for me it's BC1 cause that was my first experience, even if it was on a PS3

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin

31. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 20:23 theglaze

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 18:41:
3 words:

Carl muthafuckin Gustav.

and droppin bombs on snipers from have a mile out, fuckin loved it

30. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 18:41 Mordecai Walfish

3 words:

Carl muthafuckin Gustav.

29. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 18:25 007Bistromath

MAKE 2143 YOU STUPID ASSHOLES  

28. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 17:27 Kosh401

My squad would be the shit out of a new Bad Company, just like we did with BC2. We've also had a ton of fun with BF3 & 4 (now that it's been patched up so much).

About War Tapes audio setting from BC2: it's in both BF3 and 4 as well and everyone should give them a go - gotta love them raw audio recordings! Nothing like the sound of gunfire and ricochets everywhere while an attack chopper does a low pass overhead >:D

27. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 16:09 Mordhaus

BF:BC2 was their best multiplayer since BF1942. BF2142 comes in third, but I doubt we will see a sequel to that anytime soon. It would sort of weaken the market for Titanfall.  

26. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 16:03 harlock

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 14:58:

you dont think its going to happen? pretty clueless

homeworld is no longer a running series

BF2142 was a 1-off fluke.. bad company already has 2 games in series

25. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 15:56 LanikTnt

Linksil wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 12:05:
Well I played only Rush on BC2 and logged over 100 hours doing that. Things that made it fun:

Bug free (for the most part). Some people had problems, but well I didn't.
Maps had all the buildings destroyable. Added more options.
Maps had better flow. Yes some of them bottlenecked, but it was still fun to try and break.
In GAME server browser.
Weapons felt like they would kill people, then they did.
Single player was a rail with more freedom and enjoyable writing.
Steam instead of Origins. Not sure how much that matters.

I know I missed a few, but well that's the best my just woke up brain can handle.

^ This.

24. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 14:58 eRe4s3r

23. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 14:54 DangerDog

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 12:05:
I'd really like to see a retail game akin to Bad Company 2 Vietnam. That expansion was so fucking awesome.

The Rush maps for Vietnam were dreadful though, full of choke points that would grind even the best team to a halt.

I think Bad Company 2 succeeded because of it's newness - at least on the PC, it took them a long time to shake off the console port effects on the PC version and they slowly nerfed it to death like they always seem to do. It was fun while it lasted.

22. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 14:43 theglaze

Linksil wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 12:05:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 11:42:
Bad Company 2 had some really crappy and some really great maps, but all of them were sort of fun ;p

On BF4 I could say "fun" to maybe about 3 maps...

Well I played only Rush on BC2 and logged over 100 hours doing that. Things that made it fun:

Bug free (for the most part). Some people had problems, but well I didn't.
Maps had all the buildings destroyable. Added more options.
Maps had better flow. Yes some of them bottlenecked, but it was still fun to try and break.
In GAME server browser.
Weapons felt like they would kill people, then they did.
Single player was a rail with more freedom and enjoyable writing.
Steam instead of Origins. Not sure how much that matters.

I know I missed a few, but well that's the best my just woke up brain can handle.

I put damn near 1,000 hours into BC2, and clearly felt it to be one of the most enjoyable multiplayer FPS titles I've played. It's been a long time since I last played it, but as I remember it, in BF3 and BF4 they kept throwing more in to the game and expecting it to be better.

EA's thoughts: More fun = More guns, more unlocks, more vehicles, more hiding spots, more players, more map complexity...

There's a balance, and I agree with Troedsson, BC2 brewed together a perfect mix and it was great. Defining it is hard, but here are some of my thoughts:

- Rush was awesome. That was a function of the map design, which was smaller and with less routes to the M-COM stations. It mad maps a grind at times which certain choke points, but that's when effective team tactics came into play
- Gustav rocket launcher...it was awesome to jump into a game and explode buildings with a quick, direct fire explosives. Throw in tracer darts with whip rocket shots, and the fun level significantly increased.
- Hero runs. One person could change the momentum of a multilayer match by being the first sneak around enemy lines and arm an M-COM, or pull of a last second de-arm. BF3 and BF4 gameplay does not lend itself well to moments like that.
-Vehicles were selectively included for certain maps, compared the overabundance of death machines in later BFs.

21. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 14:26 harlock

20. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 14:01 The Half Elf

I want 2143. I don't give a shit about another Battlefield game with a bunch of whiny sidekicks (GTA5 is just as bad), in a story mode that they are trying to push on Hardlines to justify charging 60 bucks for a fucking mod.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

19. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 13:14 descender

You forgot the WAR TAPES audio setting. Some of the best surround sounds in any video game.

BFBC2 was great, the best thing about BF3+ were the trailers.

18. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 13:08 Cutter

InBlack wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 10:55:
Cutter wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 10:45:
Bad Company....they won't deny.

I see what you did there.
Great, underrated band BTW.

Makes you wanna have a few beers and rock out, doesn't it?
Headbang

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 12:20 Rhett

Noooot really looking forward to the future of this IP after BF 4 and Hardline...  

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo