Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MS: "We Are Continuing to Support the GFWL Service"

In reporting the removal of GFWL support from Ms. Splosion Man, GameInformer.com got a quote from Microsoft about the status of Games for Windows LIVE, which has been dropped by many games over the past year amid continuing rumors the unpopular service would be closing down. In spite of interpretations to the contrary, MS doesn't actually say they are not planning on killing GFWL, but they do say they are currently continuing to support it:

We are continuing to support the Games for Windows Live service. As previously announced, as part of the retirement of Microsoft Points the Xbox.com PC marketplace was closed. Although customers are unable to purchase new games from the marketplace or receive title updates, they can continue to enjoy previously purchased content by downloading them through the Games for Windows Live client as usual. We remain committed to investing in PC gaming in the years ahead, and look forward to sharing more in the future.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: MS: Jun 24, 2014, 08:20 SpectralMeat

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 17:55:
But when you are putting out more than you are getting back, that isn't making money either. Consoles.
Yes but that is a different problem all together. That return of investment can be there if they get their act together and release a few system seller console exclusive games.
On the PC however there is no money to be made off gamers.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 17:55 HorrorScope

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:49:
Slashman wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:32:
There are quite a few little things that they can do which they steadfastly refuse to do.

They do not have to do anything. For them there is no money in pc gaming.

In console gaming on the other hand they have their greedy hand in everything from hardware to software, royalty fee after every single copy of game sold, annual fee for mp gaming, buying new hardware, or any kind of accesory for your console, controllers, etc.
They make money on all those things, while not a dime on the PC.
It is pretty obvious why they don't give a flying fuck about pcgamers and they would love to see everyone with a PC gaming rig to migrate to the bone instead.
That's where all the hardcore XxXgamerzXxX are anyways.

But when you are putting out more than you are getting back, that isn't making money either. Consoles.

38. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 13:12 SpectralMeat

Is that PC gaming alliance thing still around?
This Microsoft statement reminds me of that.

37. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 13:10 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:50:
So why does Microsoft keep recommitting to PC gaming? Because some poor asshole has the job of doing so. Microsoft needs its hands in PC gaming somehow. They need to keep making quality versions of Direct3D, and they need to dabble here and there.

Why? Why do they need to? There's no money to be had there, so why do they feel they NEED to? I mean, they obviously do for whatever weird fucked-up reason, since they keep paying some jackass money to bleat this kind of fairy tale once every six months, but WHY do they do it?

Maybe it's a Milton scenario. They've forgotten they have the guy on the payroll, and so he just keeps saying something every six months to sorta justify his job.

36. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 12:50 Beamer

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:06:
Verno wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 10:53:
I like to imagine a scenario where Microsoft realizes the error of its ways and rebuilds its PC gaming image and helps lend more credibility to the industry for AAA releases. Plus I'm just a positive person

Is that positive or something else?

The thing about it is that it wouldn't be at all hard for them to do something. Push some decent PC exclusive releases in the right genres, add some actual useful functionality to Windows for better game support. Maybe create a small division with the purpose of actually getting in touch with the PC gaming community and learning what their needs are.

There are quite a few little things that they can do which they steadfastly refuse to do. They hosted a small breakfast event on my island recently to celebrate the launch of Office 365 in our region. How much more difficult would it be to do something similar for PC gaming? They have so many resources available to them and cannot be bothered.

That's pretty much all the statement I need from them.

It wouldn't be hard for them to do, but it wouldn't really be necessary.

The Xbox is fighting for its life. It needs all the help it can get. Sony sales are fueled, in part, by exclusives. Nintendo sales are fueled almost solely by exclusives. The Xbone needs exclusives to compete (and, for some reason or another, Microsoft seems to have forgotten how to make exclusives not Halo or maybe Gears of War.)

The PC? It does fine without Microsoft. Steam is really the main driver. Anything Microsoft does, no matter how good and beneficial, will be spit on because and shunned in favor of Steam. It would take years to turn that bad will around, and there's really no good reason to. They don't control the PC, they don't stand to make much revenue off PC gaming (Valve does), and PC gaming will do well without their intervention.

The Xbone, though, lives and dies based on exclusives. You can't get Uncharted on the PC, so people buy a PS4. You can't get Mario Kart on a PC, so people buy a Wii. If you could get Halo on a PC, why would anyone buy an Xbone over a PS4?
No, really, stop and ask yourself that question. What single, possible reason would there be to buy an Xbone over a PS4 if all the Xbone games were on the PC, probably with better graphics?

So why does Microsoft keep recommitting to PC gaming? Because some poor asshole has the job of doing so. Microsoft needs its hands in PC gaming somehow. They need to keep making quality versions of Direct3D, and they need to dabble here and there. Whoever they keep hiring to do this job has grand plans they just aren't able to perform. Microsoft really just needs to shut up about what they want to do and quietly keep doing something.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 12:49 SpectralMeat

There are quite a few little things that they can do which they steadfastly refuse to do.

They do not have to do anything. For them there is no money in pc gaming.

In console gaming on the other hand they have their greedy hand in everything from hardware to software, royalty fee after every single copy of game sold, annual fee for mp gaming, buying new hardware, or any kind of accesory for your console, controllers, etc.
They make money on all those things, while not a dime on the PC.
It is pretty obvious why they don't give a flying fuck about pcgamers and they would love to see everyone with a PC gaming rig to migrate to the bone instead.
That's where all the hardcore XxXgamerzXxX are anyways.

34. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 12:32 Slashman

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:06:
I like to imagine a scenario where Microsoft realizes the error of its ways and rebuilds its PC gaming image and helps lend more credibility to the industry for AAA releases. Plus I'm just a positive person

The thing about it is that it wouldn't be at all hard for them to do something. Push some decent PC exclusive releases in the right genres, add some actual useful functionality to Windows for better game support. Maybe create a small division with the purpose of actually getting in touch with the PC gaming community and learning what their needs are.

There are quite a few little things that they can do which they steadfastly refuse to do. They hosted a small breakfast event on my island recently to celebrate the launch of Office 365 in our region. How much more difficult would it be to do something similar for PC gaming? They have so many resources available to them and cannot be bothered.

That's pretty much all the statement I need from them.

33. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 12:06 HorrorScope

32. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 10:53 Verno

Slashman wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 09:52:
Why would you like to be optimistic?

Unfortunately Microsoft is all talk and no action as you said

The Xbox is such a weird, divergent platform, I really don't know what they hope to accomplish with it. It is terrible for pushing other brands and divisions within Microsoft and its hamstrung by fierce competition from several other industries. They have a PC monopoly that is slowly dwindling and they're doing nothing with it. Oh well.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

31. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 10:42 HorrorScope

One can make a strong argument that keeping GFWL is against supporting PC's.  

30. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 09:52 Slashman

Verno wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 08:31:
I would really like to be optimistic about these things but Microsofts commitment to their own platform is just a string of broken promises and missed opportunities. They should have been Steam and instead are now neglecting their own platform entirely.

Why would you like to be optimistic? They've never done anything!

That's the point. They've never been supportive of PC games to any tangible degree. There is no leeway for optimism. They make these statements almost every year.

29. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 09:34 Ladron3dfx

MS: "We Are Continuing to Support the GFWL Service" Gossip  

Steamworks

28. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 08:31 Verno

I would really like to be optimistic about these things but Microsofts commitment to their own platform is just a string of broken promises and missed opportunities. They should have been Steam and instead are now neglecting their own platform entirely.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

27. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 04:49 KilrathiAce

Hey MS while you are at it, please throw some millions around the world from gates private jet as it will be better use of money than towards GFWL  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

26. Re: Into the Black Jun 23, 2014, 03:01 NeOCidE

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 20:14:
*puts pillow over GFWL's face*

Shhhh shhhhh it's ok, it'll all be over soon.

Seriously though remember how they wanted to charge money for this "service" initially? Just die already.

Rofl!

Trent Reznor - Atticus Ross an incredible team.

25. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 02:27 Ant

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 19:41:
Wonderful poster.

I've never understood Microsoft's disdain for PC gaming. Okay, they have their XBox line of game-consoles, and they want to push that. I totally get that part; Microsoft wants some exclusives for the XBox so that people will chose that platform. But there are a lot of games that just do not work well on consoles (sims, adventure and strategy games, for example) but are a perfect fit for the PC. Yet Microsoft seems to be actively working to sabotage gaming of all sorts on the PC, from killing the MS Flight Sim series, closing Ensemble, and locking games to particular versions of Windows for no reason except marketing. I mean, it's not as if Microsoft has to worry about limited resources; they could have easily supported both platforms.

Windows is still the heart of Microsoft's empire (despite all the money poured into it,it certainly isn't the XBox division, which continues to lose money), and PC gaming was one reason people stuck with Windows; their games didn't run well on the alternatives. Nowadays, Macintosh, Linux and mobile devices are increasing their marketshare, and the PC is only something you use when you have to do work. I don't think it is a coincidence that Microsoft's domination of the desktop began to slip when they made it clear that gaming on the PC was no longer a priority.

So maybe I'm biased but I just don't understand the strategy. They deliberately slaughtered their golden goose - Windows, with 99% control of the home PC market and low cost-of-entry - to chase after the game console market, where they at best would have 50% control and might make a profit after five years.

I thought MS wanted domination in gaming no matter what platforms. Now, that is going awway to Linux and others.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

24. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 00:50 Creston

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 19:41:
I mean, it's not as if Microsoft has to worry about limited resources; they could have easily supported both platforms.

Sure, but they don't want to. They said very very early in Xbox's life cycle that their vision was office work on the PC, games on the Xbox. That's what they wanted, and thus that's the only thing they pursued.

Windows is still the heart of Microsoft's empire (despite all the money poured into it,it certainly isn't the XBox division, which continues to lose money)

It makes money now, but it's nowhere near in comparison to Office, Windows, Exchange and even Azure, no.

and PC gaming was one reason people stuck with Windows; their games didn't run well on the alternatives.

No, it wasn't, and people really need to stop believing that. For all their stupidity, and they do some REALLY fucking stupid things, and have had some REALLLLLLY stupid people in charge, MS is not that dumb. If PC gaming was their prime revenue driver, they wouldn't have let utterly ignored it like they have.

The (sad) reality is that PC gaming is nothing compared to the money they make on Enterprise licensing. If it wasn't for the OEM deals that still make them money, I'm fairly sure MS would have completely given up on gaming on Windows long ago. In the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't make them that much money, and that's why they never put any kind of effort into it.

Which is fine, it's understandable, in the end they need to make money, I just can't fathom why they keep feeling the need to repeat that lie to utter absurdity. Seriously, they've gone BEYOND the Boy Who Cries Wolf now. They've literally been parroting this tale since 2006, sometimes multiple times a year, and they do FUCK.ALL.

I don't think it is a coincidence that Microsoft's domination of the desktop began to slip when they made it clear that gaming on the PC was no longer a priority.

No, that really has nothing to do with it. The #1 reason MS no longer utterly dominates the desktop the way they do is price. They are simply too expensive with their licensing. Not just the price per seat license, but then the horseshit you have to go through if you have a license for an older product, and MS simply tells you that that license is no longer valid, and if you wish to keep using it (say, Project, or Visio), you HAVE to upgrade to the latest version. (my own company is going through that right now. Probably around 500 licenses that we're having to upgrade, at an average cost of 3-400 bucks each.)

That's what's been driving certain enterprises to different solutions.

They deliberately slaughtered their golden goose - Windows, with 99% control of the home PC market

Windows is doing just fine (well, Windows 8 isn't, but Windows 7 is dominating, and XP is still hanging on). MS doesn't really care about the home market. It's an easy revenue source to do OEM deals, but other than that, it's just not interesting for them. Enterprise is where they make their money, and where they are still focused.

As for games, they still think they can dominate the living room, but the continuous setbacks with the failbox SHOULD at some point demonstrate to them that their utopian vision of every living room with a failbox, and people paying fees for literally every single fucking thing they do with it, is just not going to fly anymore. They've been having to withdraw those horseshit paywalls of theirs like crazy.

Maybe in ten more years they'll wake up.

23. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 00:38 Creston

DangerDog wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 16:12:
They hired that one guy from Steam/Valve but I think I read that he already has quit.

He did. Like four months after he was hired. he works for Oculus now.

22. Re: Into the Black Jun 23, 2014, 00:01 Slashman

It's as if they think they are pulling some sort of major deception by saying one thing and doing the opposite year after year.

Can they really be naive enough to think that people don't KNOW that they have done jack squat for PC gaming over the last decade?

It's not like people are forming angry mobs outside their offices to protest their crappy treatment of PC games and their horrible GFWL service. So why even bother to make these statements that can be proven false less than a year later just by casually observing their actions?

21. Re: Into the Black Jun 22, 2014, 20:14 NegaDeath

*puts pillow over GFWL's face*

Shhhh shhhhh it's ok, it'll all be over soon.

Seriously though remember how they wanted to charge money for this "service" initially? Just die already.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo