Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight

Recent comments from Ubisoft VP of digital publishing Chris Early indicate Ubisoft has a newfound outlook on the impact of DRM on game sales, saying they understand that this can lead to punishing paying customers while failing to deter piracy as intended (thanks The Escapist). This is in stark contrast to their historical outlook, which led to the implementation of an onerous online DRM scheme several years ago that required a constant Internet connection before this was relaxed. Chris explains their changed outlook on this to GameSpot:

What becomes key for us is making sure we're delivering an experience to paying players that is quality. I don't want us in a position where we're punishing a paying player for what a pirate can get around. Anything is going to be able to be pirated given enough time and enough effort to get in there. So the question becomes, what do we create as services, or as benefits, and the quality of the game, that will just have people want to pay for it?

I think it's much more important for us to focus on making a great game and delivering good services. The reality is, the more service there is in a game, pirates don't get that," Early said. "So when it's a good game and there's good services around it, you're incentivized to not pirate the game to get the full experience.

View
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

8. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 11:51 Flak

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 10:39:
Overon wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 10:09:
I have no goodwill for Ubisoft. They have fucked over the pc master race too many times. Latest example is gimping Watchdogs.

How exactly did they 'fucked over' the pc users 'too many times'? Yeah Watch Dogs has some graphical things turned off because they cause some serious issues with the lighting engine, but again I'm curious.

Much like how EA has utterly destroyed the Battlefield franchise, Ubisoft has obliterated everything Tom Clancy related, at least if you're an actual fan of the original games and not the bile they call the current ones.

Ubisoft also has a terrible track record pre-'DRM' with Securom going back to Chaos Theory and Farcry 1. UPlay is a fucking joke and another useless layer of bloatware I don't need on my system. Their customer service rivals EA in terms of poor quality. Titles purchased or 'owned' on UPLAY are not available to be claimed on any other service (ie. I got some Ubisoft games with a video card and could not redeem them on Steam, even though 99.9% of my library is on Steam). Many Ubisoft games require post-install .ini tweaks so they don't look like complete ass on PC.

*yawn*

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 11:39 Quboid

*slow clap*

At least they've finally figured out that rewarding customers is a better route than attempting to punish pirates.

In terms of services being always on-DRM; that depends on how they implement it. The gaming community will be quick to call bullshit (and some will be quick to boycott, although I doubt that hits their bottom line much) if they impose required connections that aren't essential to the game. It doesn't really matter what they say, their actions have and will determine their reputation.

I don't think Watch Dogs was gimped, as in the graphics were turned down to make consoles look good. I've heard plenty to suggest that the PC port is well below the standard of Far Cry 3 and it makes sense that some things that didn't work right got cut rather than fixed when a deadline - already after a slightly embarrassing 6 month delay - is approaching. I know a modder enabled this quickly but "getting it to run" and "getting it to run properly on (theoretically) all systems (theoretically) all the time" are very different things.

They probably implemented this stuff, used it for E3 bullshots and then realised they couldn't get it to work reliably in time. Again, going by what I've heard, the game isn't short of unpolished PC features with stuttering performance issues.

- Quboid

6. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 11:39 Alamar

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 11:00:
The reality is, the more service there is in a game, pirates don't get that,"

In short, we are trying to make our games be like blizzard and need to be online all the time as the DRM, but trying to call it as a feature enhancing service in hopes people don't see it as the always online DRM that it really is.

That's essentially how I read it... Though if it has an MP infrastructure in the game, like most shooters, with an online profile (everything has xp/levels now). And still allow LAN play (with or without connecting to the backend), so LAN parties, which are drying up too fast, can still function as they should.

However, as spoiled PC gamers, we want dedicated servers that anyone can throw up anywhere, and not pay for the extra development of these : )

I don't know how this could be used to add value to non-MP games though... DLC is already an addition that you need to be connected (or pirate) for, but it also already costs money...

-Alamar

5. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 11:00 Kitkoan

The reality is, the more service there is in a game, pirates don't get that,"

In short, we are trying to make our games be like blizzard and need to be online all the time as the DRM, but trying to call it as a feature enhancing service in hopes people don't see it as the always online DRM that it really is.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

4. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 10:48 Mr.Rainbow

I have no goodwill for Ubisoft. They have fucked over the pc master race too many times. Latest example is gimping Watchdogs.

Ubisoft is great! Without them we wouldn't have exact copies of console games to play on the PC. 5 stars out of 5 for Ubisoft!

3. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 10:39 The Half Elf

How exactly did they 'fucked over' the pc users 'too many times'? Yeah Watch Dogs has some graphical things turned off because they cause some serious issues with the lighting engine, but again I'm curious.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

2. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 10:21 Vazz

I just want them to quit making every new game require Uplay.  

1. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 10:09 Overon

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo