Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight

Recent comments from Ubisoft VP of digital publishing Chris Early indicate Ubisoft has a newfound outlook on the impact of DRM on game sales, saying they understand that this can lead to punishing paying customers while failing to deter piracy as intended (thanks The Escapist). This is in stark contrast to their historical outlook, which led to the implementation of an onerous online DRM scheme several years ago that required a constant Internet connection before this was relaxed. Chris explains their changed outlook on this to GameSpot:

What becomes key for us is making sure we're delivering an experience to paying players that is quality. I don't want us in a position where we're punishing a paying player for what a pirate can get around. Anything is going to be able to be pirated given enough time and enough effort to get in there. So the question becomes, what do we create as services, or as benefits, and the quality of the game, that will just have people want to pay for it?

I think it's much more important for us to focus on making a great game and delivering good services. The reality is, the more service there is in a game, pirates don't get that," Early said. "So when it's a good game and there's good services around it, you're incentivized to not pirate the game to get the full experience.

View
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

28. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 13:58 Kitkoan

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 13:17:
The entitlement is strong with this thread.

So, to be treated as an equal customer and not as a 3rd class citizen is now considered entitlement?

Such a shallow view you have of others.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 13:43 Beamer

If people want to pirate and admit they're stealing someone else's hard work, fine. It's when people act like their stealing is taking some moral high ground that drives me nuts. "I'm doing this because I'm a good person who dislikes UPlay or Origin. I'm not the one wrong here, paying nothing for the 40 hours of fun this game will give me, it's them who are wrong for providing it in a way I don't like!"

Just admit you're pirating it because you don't feel like paying the cash.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 13:27 wtf_man

Get rid of uPlay requirements on all old and new games, and I'll forgive.

I don't want a fucking data mining service. Just the damn game (in full... no nickel and dime DLC shit... full expansions, OK).

Same goes for Steam (as far as the service goes).

I DO buy all of my games. Haven't pirated since I was a kid / young adult.

/shrug

25. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 13:20 nin

Mr.Rainbow wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 12:53:
It's time to forgive Ubisoft. Forget ten years of horror and torture. All PC gamers should hold hands and sing kumbaya.

Hello reegle.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

24. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 13:17 Silicon Avatar

The entitlement is strong with this thread.

23. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 13:05 NewMaxx

Piracy or no piracy, the bottom line is: demo. We're seeing a comeback in demos with both freebies (Sniper Elite 2 for free to herald Sniper Elite 3, for example), free days/weekends/playtime (Titanfall), beta access (numerous titles), etc. This is a good thing. I know a lot of people will say that piracy has nothing to do with demos, but that's bullshit. I know a lot of people who pirate or wait around for big sales to get games since they can't be certain of a title's value. I'm loyal to companies and their brands but only if they show some respect to me as a consumer.

This "services" shit is just that, shit. It just means social/online features. I honestly think companies are just pushing for things they THINK people want rather than what they do want. Then they tote them as "next gen features" despite the fact it's usually not only a form of online DRM but means more resources of game design are put towards optional shit. Worse, it's yet another outlet for DLC...oh so it's multi-player, let's sell outfits, blah blah blah. Give me a break. I do think Ubisoft has made steps in the right direction, but c'mon...

(I realize that the online features of Watch_Dogs, for example, are actually pretty good, but it's getting ridiculous how much of a game is in "the cloud" these days)

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2014, 13:15.

22. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 12:53 Mr.Rainbow

It's time to forgive Ubisoft. Forget ten years of horror and torture. All PC gamers should hold hands and sing kumbaya.  

21. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 12:53 Silicon Avatar

When I was a kid I mowed grass to pay for games. If I didn't have enough money I mowed more grass.

I thought that was how it was supposed to work.

20. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 12:50 nin

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 12:22:
Too...much...irony...

You mean with you admitting to pirate shit? I'll say...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 12:30 BIGtrouble77

Flak wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 12:03:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 11:52:
Then why is the PC Master Race pirating their products in the first place? If you guys don't see value in what they're producing, then why spend time on them?

Anyone over the age of 18 who pirates games is just an asshole. I used to pirate hundreds of games as a kid...a kid with parents that wouldn't buy him conputer games, no access to money to buy said games, and unsupervised access to the internet and the Kazaa/Limewire craze of 10+ years ago...but again...that's when I was a stupid kid.

If you're an adult who has the means to own a computer powerful enough to play these games with an active internet connection and can't budget your life to afford a few games, you're simply an asshole who's stealing because you're too much of a cheap bastard. Don't blame PC gamers for the actions of children and cheap assholes who still live with mom at the age of 40.

I've retroactively purchased every game on Steam that I've pirated in my youth, my library I think just passed 300 titles, each that I purchased and most over $10 at the time of purchase. I honestly don't even remember the last game I pirated and I've probably pirated more software than the majority of 'pirates'.

Making blanket statements about piracy on PC proves you're either a troll, a complete dumbass, or an Ubisoft schill, or sadly maybe a combination of all three.

When I was a kid my perspective was so different than it is now. I had a limited ability to buy games myself so I had to be resourceful. I started a pirate BBS in the early 90's, moved to FTP sites, then graduated into usenet. After I started making a reliable income this all became more of a hassle that it was worth.

I can say with 10 years of experience pirating games, copy protection never once stopped me from getting what I wanted. On the other hand, copy protection in stuff I bought ultimately pushed my away from pc gaming until steam really started to take off. I know we all bitch about steam's drm, but it solved some major problems that made installing games not so much of a hassle.

I just bought FarCry3 on the steam sale yesterday and already have buyers remorse... had I known I'd need to sign up for uPlay I would have never bought it. So I'm not sure what this UBIsoft guy is proposing will fly with me.

The bottom line is just support the game well after release, offer high quality DLCs and use keys for online play. I've never seen anyone show evidence that this strategy is flawed.

18. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 12:25 Julio

I can smell what Ubi's shoveling from here. Screw them, I haven't bought a PC Ubi game since HOMM6 (demo ran perfectly, full retail game stopped working at all, Ubi support said tough luck, and gave me a rootkit).

And I don't pirate games, my PC is proudly 'Uplay free'.

17. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 12:22 Rattlehead

Too...much...irony...

16. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 12:18 Xil

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 12:07:
Flak wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 11:51:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 10:39:
Overon wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 10:09:
I have no goodwill for Ubisoft. They have fucked over the pc master race too many times. Latest example is gimping Watchdogs.

How exactly did they 'fucked over' the pc users 'too many times'? Yeah Watch Dogs has some graphical things turned off because they cause some serious issues with the lighting engine, but again I'm curious.

Much like how EA has utterly destroyed the Battlefield franchise, Ubisoft has obliterated everything Tom Clancy related, at least if you're an actual fan of the original games and not the bile they call the current ones.

Ubisoft also has a terrible track record pre-'DRM' with Securom going back to Chaos Theory and Farcry 1. UPlay is a fucking joke and another useless layer of bloatware I don't need on my system. Their customer service rivals EA in terms of poor quality. Titles purchased or 'owned' on UPLAY are not available to be claimed on any other service (ie. I got some Ubisoft games with a video card and could not redeem them on Steam, even though 99.9% of my library is on Steam). Many Ubisoft games require post-install .ini tweaks so they don't look like complete ass on PC.

*yawn*

EA destroying franchises is one thing, but Tom Clancy's involvement with Ubisoft ended a long time ago.

The always online DRM issue was taken care of years ago, as Chaos Theory was released in 2005 and Far Cry in 2004. Customer Service I can't say either way, but I haven't heard any out cryings of horrible support either.
Now about Uplay itself. They give you free games, offered by Ubisoft, and your surprised you can't redeem them anywhere else but Uplay? Really? But yet it's ok for EA to do this? Please pick a double standard and stick to it.

Post install ini tweaking?!? People have been doing this since fucking QUAKE!

Do I care for Uplay? Not really. But I will give them credit that if I do something in one of their games, I can use those points to unlock something in another Uplay game (Used Driver San Fran to unlock stuff in Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 4, and Watch Dogs). But Ubisoft really has turned around from where they were 10 years ago.
Great support for PC games, got rid of the Online DRM, good rewards beyond collecting cards on Steam.

I just don't understand why people are bitching about a company that fixed what people were bitching about years ago.

well said (or written) !

15. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 12:07 The Half Elf

Flak wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 11:51:
I have no goodwill for Ubisoft. They have fucked over the pc master race too many times. Latest example is gimping Watchdogs.

How exactly did they 'fucked over' the pc users 'too many times'? Yeah Watch Dogs has some graphical things turned off because they cause some serious issues with the lighting engine, but again I'm curious.

Much like how EA has utterly destroyed the Battlefield franchise, Ubisoft has obliterated everything Tom Clancy related, at least if you're an actual fan of the original games and not the bile they call the current ones.

Ubisoft also has a terrible track record pre-'DRM' with Securom going back to Chaos Theory and Farcry 1. UPlay is a fucking joke and another useless layer of bloatware I don't need on my system. Their customer service rivals EA in terms of poor quality. Titles purchased or 'owned' on UPLAY are not available to be claimed on any other service (ie. I got some Ubisoft games with a video card and could not redeem them on Steam, even though 99.9% of my library is on Steam). Many Ubisoft games require post-install .ini tweaks so they don't look like complete ass on PC.

*yawn*

EA destroying franchises is one thing, but Tom Clancy's involvement with Ubisoft ended a long time ago.

The always online DRM issue was taken care of years ago, as Chaos Theory was released in 2005 and Far Cry in 2004. Customer Service I can't say either way, but I haven't heard any out cryings of horrible support either.
Now about Uplay itself. They give you free games, offered by Ubisoft, and your surprised you can't redeem them anywhere else but Uplay? Really? But yet it's ok for EA to do this? Please pick a double standard and stick to it.

Post install ini tweaking?!? People have been doing this since fucking QUAKE!

Do I care for Uplay? Not really. But I will give them credit that if I do something in one of their games, I can use those points to unlock something in another Uplay game (Used Driver San Fran to unlock stuff in Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 4, and Watch Dogs). But Ubisoft really has turned around from where they were 10 years ago.
Great support for PC games, got rid of the Online DRM, good rewards beyond collecting cards on Steam.

I just don't understand why people are bitching about a company that fixed what people were bitching about years ago.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 12:05 Overon

My dislike for Ubisoft started with Silent Hunter 4. They never fixed the broken multiplayer. The host of the match would take damage no matter who was hit in the game. They never fixed it. They have a history of leaving egregious bugs in the game and pulling support for the PC version.

13. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 12:03 Flak

Then why is the PC Master Race pirating their products in the first place? If you guys don't see value in what they're producing, then why spend time on them?

Anyone over the age of 18 who pirates games is just an asshole. I used to pirate hundreds of games as a kid...a kid with parents that wouldn't buy him conputer games, no access to money to buy said games, and unsupervised access to the internet and the Kazaa/Limewire craze of 10+ years ago...but again...that's when I was a stupid kid.

If you're an adult who has the means to own a computer powerful enough to play these games with an active internet connection and can't budget your life to afford a few games, you're simply an asshole who's stealing because you're too much of a cheap bastard. Don't blame PC gamers for the actions of children and cheap assholes who still live with mom at the age of 40.

I've retroactively purchased every game on Steam that I've pirated in my youth, my library I think just passed 300 titles, each that I purchased and most over $10 at the time of purchase. I honestly don't even remember the last game I pirated and I've probably pirated more software than the majority of 'pirates'.

Making blanket statements about piracy on PC proves you're either a troll, a complete dumbass, or an Ubisoft schill, or sadly maybe a combination of all three.

12. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 11:59 Quboid

You realise not all PC gamers pirate games? It appears not, which presumably means you do.

- Quboid

11. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 11:55 ASeven

You guys? Speak for yourself.

10. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 11:54 HorrorScope

I am going to believe that these new found insights from UBI are based solely from them reading our comments within yesterdays UBI thread. They have seen the light and have taken them to heart. Yes I'm going to live in that world assuming that is why this happened. Hi Mr. Unicorn, I'll meet you at the rainbow for our picnic today.  

9. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 11:52 Kevin Lowe

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo