Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight

Recent comments from Ubisoft VP of digital publishing Chris Early indicate Ubisoft has a newfound outlook on the impact of DRM on game sales, saying they understand that this can lead to punishing paying customers while failing to deter piracy as intended (thanks The Escapist). This is in stark contrast to their historical outlook, which led to the implementation of an onerous online DRM scheme several years ago that required a constant Internet connection before this was relaxed. Chris explains their changed outlook on this to GameSpot:

What becomes key for us is making sure we're delivering an experience to paying players that is quality. I don't want us in a position where we're punishing a paying player for what a pirate can get around. Anything is going to be able to be pirated given enough time and enough effort to get in there. So the question becomes, what do we create as services, or as benefits, and the quality of the game, that will just have people want to pay for it?

I think it's much more important for us to focus on making a great game and delivering good services. The reality is, the more service there is in a game, pirates don't get that," Early said. "So when it's a good game and there's good services around it, you're incentivized to not pirate the game to get the full experience.

View
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

48. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 17:26 Eirikrautha

ASeven wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:22:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 16:46:
"Consequences it might do to the market"? Oh, do go on. This should be good for a laugh. What consequence is this game going to have that aren't perfectly ameliorated by the simple procedure I described in my post (JUST DON'T BUY IT!)?

This type of reply only shows you have really no idea what you're talking about, do you?

If I don't buy something, others might, something that seems to have not entered your flawed logic. And if others buy the game it shapes the market. If a game with draconian DRM sells a lot it will send a message to publishers, regardless if I bought it or not. And regardless if I bought it or not I will voice my displeasure about consumer rights being throttled due to draconian DRM. That's just one example of all the shit Ubisoft, and the gaming industry, keeps pulling on us.

Then again I'm starting to think you really have no idea of what you're talking about based on your continued flawed logic.

Something tells me he is the same kind of dickhead who would tell you that if you don't like the NSA spying on you, don't use email or a phone...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 17:25 Kevin Lowe

ASeven wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:22:
"Consequences it might do to the market"? Oh, do go on. This should be good for a laugh. What consequence is this game going to have that aren't perfectly ameliorated by the simple procedure I described in my post (JUST DON'T BUY IT!)?

This type of reply only shows you have really no idea what you're talking about, do you?

If I don't buy something, others might, something that seems to have not entered your flawed logic. And if others buy the game it shapes the market. If a game with draconian DRM sells a lot it will send a message to publishers, regardless if I bought it or not. And regardless if I bought it or not I will voice my displeasure about consumer rights being throttled due to draconian DRM. That's just one example of all the shit Ubisoft, and the gaming industry, keeps pulling on us.

Then again I'm starting to think you really have no idea of what you're talking about based on your continued flawed logic.
So what if someone else buys something you're not happy with! Publishers are in business to make money, and as long as enough people are happy enough with their products to pay for them, what does it matter what you, me, or any other one person thinks of them?

46. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 17:24 ASeven

Quboid wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 16:55:
ASeven wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 16:40:
Are you subtly implying that anyone who doesn't buy a game doesn't have an opinion about it and about its consequences it might do to the market?

I don't think he knows it, but he's implying that the right to not buy a game is the only consumer right we've ever had (if that's what we're left with after giving up 0 rights). This is not true.

Yeah, sad really. There really are people out there like him that have this mentality. Sad and terrible for all consumers.

45. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 17:22 ASeven

44. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 17:20 Julio

Lots of Uplay fans posting here, do they pay well?  

43. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 17:17 Kevin Lowe

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:04:
Guessing you've missed the whole deal about the Watch Dogs being held back on PC?

Given that you can find posts from me in the comments for that article, yeah, I'm well aware of it. That article discusses extra features cut from the final game - not features present on other platforms that were cut from the PC version. The PC still has the graphics features of the other platform, plus extra. How is that unequal treatment?

Out of every form of DRM, online DRM has always proven the worst for customers. Issues with flaky internet, Diablo 3/SimCity/numerous other games whom severs couldn't handle the pounding, etc... Just because something can be down, doesn't mean it's the best/only option.
By all means, then, suggest a better option for protecting their investment. The last idea (protected memory regions using TPM) was shouted down.

And if I don't want to join such a system, I don't need to on a console. But I MUST on a PC, which again adds software that crashes and can lock me out of the product I purchased. Why is it mandatory for a PC but optional on a console? Just because they made it, doesn't mean it should be a mandatory (and problematic) need for some and a basic option for others. Also, things like GfWL, Gamespy, Steam, etc existed when UPlay was released. They didn't need to create yet another friend system, options were there.
You'd rather they used GfWL or Gamespy? And you suggest that I'M not keeping up on the latest news?

42. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 17:10 Kitkoan

When you don't buy a game, and never voice the reasons (as you're implying) then it's up to the maker to guesswork the answer.

Maybe there isn't a market there?

Maybe the market didn't feel an acceptable price that would bring a financial return was felt too high?

Not enough marketing?

Too much marketing causing a backlash?

System requirements were set too high for minimum performance?

Wasn't released in an accessible manner?

Too much competition in the chosen genre of the PC market?

Was too different for this crowd?

Gamer base wasn't old enough/too old for this type of game?

There are many options, and if the consumer stays quiet and just votes with their wallets in silence then the problem never improves.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

41. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 17:04 Kitkoan

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 16:20:
How were you "forced to have lower quality graphics at the to give better favour to the next gen console"? If I fire up Watch_Dogs on PC, set it to 1600x900, and set the in-game settings to Ultra, will it not look at least as good as the PS4?

Guessing you've missed the whole deal about the Watch Dogs being held back on PC?

For the online DRM, that's how DRM works on your platform. On the PS4 and X1, it works differently (requiring binaries signed by Sony/MS). Still DRM either way. If people hadn't raised such a fuss against TPM, then you could have the same functionality on PC.

Out of every form of DRM, online DRM has always proven the worst for customers. Issues with flaky internet, Diablo 3/SimCity/numerous other games whom severs couldn't handle the pounding, etc... Just because something can be down, doesn't mean it's the best/only option.

As for UPlay, there isn't a platform-wide system for friends lists, achievements, etc., so they wrote their own. On consoles, you still have to load and use software for those things, it's just built into the platform instead.

And if I don't want to join such a system, I don't need to on a console. But I MUST on a PC, which again adds software that crashes and can lock me out of the product I purchased. Why is it mandatory for a PC but optional on a console? Just because they made it, doesn't mean it should be a mandatory (and problematic) need for some and a basic option for others. Also, things like GfWL, Gamespy, Steam, etc existed when UPlay was released. They didn't need to create yet another friend system, options were there.

40. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 16:55 Quboid

Are you subtly implying that anyone who doesn't buy a game doesn't have an opinion about it and about its consequences it might do to the market?

I don't think he knows it, but he's implying that the right to not buy a game is the only consumer right we've ever had (if that's what we're left with after giving up 0 rights). This is not true.

- Quboid

39. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 16:46 Kevin Lowe

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 16:32:
ASeven wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 16:24:
So... wanting to be treated with respect as a customer and not be bullshited before and after we buy a game is now entitlement.

Entitlement my ass!

You guys are the entitled ones to think we have to listen to your bullshit opinion and give up basic consumer rights just because publishers think we're walking wallets without brains, and you people eat this bullshit all the way and spew it everywhere.

Ubisoft has treated PC gamers as second class citizens and still does. From Watch Dogs locked PC features to Uplay always crashing and preventing people from playing and Ubisoft doing shit to fix this time and again. I don't think anyone here is in favor of any kind of piracy and yet we are still using the same old stupid fallacy of painting every PC gamer as pirates and that it's our fault for this only shows you either have an agenda to say such shit or you're just plain stupid.

As someone said, the only reason people might be defending Ubisoft is either if they're trolls, idiots or shills or a combination of the 3.
Actually, no, you don't have to give up basic consumer rights! You still have the most important one at all - the right to decline to purchase. If Ubisoft puts out a product you don't want, and you choose not to give them your money, then they can do exactly zero harm to you.

38. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 16:40 ASeven

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 16:32:
So... wanting to be treated with respect as a customer and not be bullshited before and after we buy a game is now entitlement.

Entitlement my ass!

You guys are the entitled ones to think we have to listen to your bullshit opinion and give up basic consumer rights just because publishers think we're walking wallets without brains, and you people eat this bullshit all the way and spew it everywhere.

Ubisoft has treated PC gamers as second class citizens and still does. From Watch Dogs locked PC features to Uplay always crashing and preventing people from playing and Ubisoft doing shit to fix this time and again. I don't think anyone here is in favor of any kind of piracy and yet we are still using the same old stupid fallacy of painting every PC gamer as pirates and that it's our fault for this only shows you either have an agenda to say such shit or you're just plain stupid.

As someone said, the only reason people might be defending Ubisoft is either if they're trolls, idiots or shills or a combination of the 3.
Actually, no, you don't have to give up basic consumer rights! You still have the most important one at all - the right to decline to purchase. If Ubisoft puts out a product you don't want, and you choose not to give them your money, then they can do exactly zero harm to you.

37. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 16:33 Silicon Avatar

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 15:25:
Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 13:58:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 13:17:
The entitlement is strong with this thread.

So, to be treated as an equal customer and not as a 3rd class citizen is now considered entitlement?

Such a shallow view you have of others.
In what way are you treated unequally from other Ubi customers?

If you're a paying customer screwed by DRM software you have a legitimate gripe for the single product you were screwed out of.

Every other argument is just some variation of conscience-salve for people who want something and don't have the self-control needed to save up for it. It's easy to identify those remarks - just look for sophistry and the emotional appeals. It's thick. It's mundane. It's people doing mental gymnastics trying hard to cheat creatives out of their due.

36. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 16:32 Kevin Lowe

Entitlement my ass!

35. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 16:24 ASeven

Entitlement my ass!

34. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 16:20 Kevin Lowe

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 15:53:

As has already been mentioned before with the Watch Dogs, PC customers were forced to have lower quality graphics at the to give better favour to the next gen console customers. When someone patched in those settings and the game didn't become some crash-fest, it showed it wasn't a stability reason (but the comments they gave were a PR move, normal when caught).

As this article is indicating, PC users will still need to be online for the full game (if it will even run offline). Something console users again don't need to do.

UPlay is required for PC users, something that can be bypassed on consoles with no real effects in single player mode.

UPlay has issues running on Windows and can cause UPlay to crash, which can prevent your games from playing/installing: 1 2

Yep, feel like an equal by having to jump through the extra hoops... that can prevent me from enjoy the product that was paid for.

How were you "forced to have lower quality graphics at the to give better favour to the next gen console"? If I fire up Watch_Dogs on PC, set it to 1600x900, and set the in-game settings to Ultra, will it not look at least as good as the PS4?

For the online DRM, that's how DRM works on your platform. On the PS4 and X1, it works differently (requiring binaries signed by Sony/MS). Still DRM either way. If people hadn't raised such a fuss against TPM, then you could have the same functionality on PC.

As for UPlay, there isn't a platform-wide system for friends lists, achievements, etc., so they wrote their own. On consoles, you still have to load and use software for those things, it's just built into the platform instead.

33. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 15:53 Kitkoan

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 15:25:

So, to be treated as an equal customer and not as a 3rd class citizen is now considered entitlement?

As has already been mentioned before with the Watch Dogs, PC customers were forced to have lower quality graphics at the to give better favour to the next gen console customers. When someone patched in those settings and the game didn't become some crash-fest, it showed it wasn't a stability reason (but the comments they gave were a PR move, normal when caught).

As this article is indicating, PC users will still need to be online for the full game (if it will even run offline). Something console users again don't need to do.

UPlay is required for PC users, something that can be bypassed on consoles with no real effects in single player mode.

UPlay has issues running on Windows and can cause UPlay to crash, which can prevent your games from playing/installing: 1 2

Yep, feel like an equal by having to jump through the extra hoops... that can prevent me from enjoy the product that was paid for.

32. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 15:25 Kevin Lowe

31. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 14:58 harlock

lets see minimum wage raised to $10, elimination of predatory creditors and dishonest bankers, lobbyists removed from government interests, etc. etc. etc.

then we can talk about "moral high ground"

until then, enjoy shaking your little finger in your imaginary righteousness

30. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 14:19 Silicon Avatar

Beamer wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 13:43:
If people want to pirate and admit they're stealing someone else's hard work, fine. It's when people act like their stealing is taking some moral high ground that drives me nuts. "I'm doing this because I'm a good person who dislikes UPlay or Origin. I'm not the one wrong here, paying nothing for the 40 hours of fun this game will give me, it's them who are wrong for providing it in a way I don't like!"

Just admit you're pirating it because you don't feel like paying the cash.

I just imagine those guys wearing fedoras and everything is explained.

29. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 14:14 Cutter

Um, Upay is DRM. And since the new consoles launched they've gone back to treating PC gamers like the red-headed step children of the gaming world.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo