Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight

Recent comments from Ubisoft VP of digital publishing Chris Early indicate Ubisoft has a newfound outlook on the impact of DRM on game sales, saying they understand that this can lead to punishing paying customers while failing to deter piracy as intended (thanks The Escapist). This is in stark contrast to their historical outlook, which led to the implementation of an onerous online DRM scheme several years ago that required a constant Internet connection before this was relaxed. Chris explains their changed outlook on this to GameSpot:

What becomes key for us is making sure we're delivering an experience to paying players that is quality. I don't want us in a position where we're punishing a paying player for what a pirate can get around. Anything is going to be able to be pirated given enough time and enough effort to get in there. So the question becomes, what do we create as services, or as benefits, and the quality of the game, that will just have people want to pay for it?

I think it's much more important for us to focus on making a great game and delivering good services. The reality is, the more service there is in a game, pirates don't get that," Early said. "So when it's a good game and there's good services around it, you're incentivized to not pirate the game to get the full experience.

View
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

88. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 25, 2014, 10:06 Prez

Hey, Ubisoft earned every bit of scorn they received with the crap they pulled with Silent Hunter 4's and Assassin Creed 2's broken and draconian DRM for sure. That said, they earned back a lot of respect when they started behaving right. Uplay isn't my favorite thing in the world, but it is better than Origin and is mostly unintrusive. Points as well for not behaving like children like EA and still allowing their games to be sold via Steam even though Ubisoft has its own service.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

87. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 23, 2014, 01:28 KilrathiAce

Overon wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 12:05:
My dislike for Ubisoft started with Silent Hunter 4. They never fixed the broken multiplayer. The host of the match would take damage no matter who was hit in the game. They never fixed it. They have a history of leaving egregious bugs in the game and pulling support for the PC version.

Overon, that was Silent Hunter 3. SH4 had its own problems though engine wise but the problem you refering to which was a big game breaker for online play was with SH3.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

86. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 13:16 Dev

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 12:30:
I just bought FarCry3 on the steam sale yesterday and already have buyers remorse... had I known I'd need to sign up for uPlay I would have never bought it.
It does mention that at the bottom of the steam page in the additional requirements. Not very noticeable I admit.

However, I much prefer enhanced steam plugin for chrome, and buying games from a web browser. That plugin adds a BIG RED BANNER at the top for any 3rd party DRM. In this case on that page it says "Warning: This title uses 3rd party DRM (Ubisoft Uplay)"
As in nearly all options on this wondrous plugin, it's configurable

I love features like showing what DLC I've purchased. Prior to this I had to add all DLC to cart in steam (which for BL2 is quite a lot), see if steam said I didn't own all of them, try to purchase the last 2 that the cart said I didn't own, then get to the final payment page and find out I really did own one more of them steam just couldn't figure it out. Also on the ones I didn't own I had to remove one at a time from the cart. This plugin shows exactly which ones I own and don't own.

It also shades items I've wishlisted, which I've own, which other's have wishlisted (again everyone of this is optional and configurable). Makes it SO MUCH EASIER TO BUY.

OMG valve, please hire a dedicated GUI guy.

85. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 12:52 Redmask

Blue wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 09:49:
That comment is for PC graphics code amid a bunch of console code. Doesn't that seem more like a comment meant to denote what platforms the code was for rather than a buried public statement of platform prejudice? That DsoG link even says the same thing.

I think it's likely a bit of both but without more context its difficult to tell so I've chosen to go with my interpretation based on Ubisofts uneven PC offerings.

84. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 11:49 Quboid

Blue wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 09:49:
Redmask wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 08:51:
Iurand wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 04:43:
Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:31:
Purposefully cripple product = unequal treatment. Or, as their own developers put it "is PC only, who cares."

Was that confirmed?

Yes it was commented in the games source files, you can see it yourself as just as easily.

AAA publishers view the PC as an unimportant platform outside of DLC and microtransactional revenue. That's why all of the innovation on PC is happening outside of that space.

That comment is for PC graphics code amid a bunch of console code. Doesn't that seem more like a comment meant to denote what platforms the code was for rather than a buried public statement of platform prejudice? That DsoG link even says the same thing.

The way the #ifdef statements are structured suggests that upperColor isn't relevant when READ_3D_TEXTURES isn't active, so it's just filling in a value so later code can safely assume that upperColor has a legitimate value set. "This is PC only, who cares" could mean that READ_3D_TEXTURES only applies to consoles. This is just going by the code snippet, I'd need more source code (and motivation) to know one way or the other.

- Quboid

83. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 10:04 Kevin Lowe

AAA publishers view the PC as an unimportant platform outside of DLC and microtransactional revenue. That's why all of the innovation on PC is happening outside of that space.
So get out there and reward those developers! People like Chris Roberts and Russ Bullock are bringing back the golden age of PC games I grew up on (okay, maybe with varying degrees of success for that last one). There's a ton going on without worrying about what the AAA world is doing.

I've got a Rift, a new HOTAS (I always wanted an FCS/WCS as a kid), and pledges for Star Citizen, Elite, MechWarrior, Hawken, etc.. At the same time, I thoroughly enjoyed Watch_Dogs, Far Cry 3, and plenty of other games from Ubi and other AAA publishers, on PS3, PS4, and PC.

My money is where my mouth is, and I'm getting hours of entertainment in return.

82. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 09:52 Kevin Lowe

Fletch wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 00:11:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 23:12:
His complaint is that others, by buying products they enjoy, are not shaping the market to his desires. If that isn't entitlement, then what is?

So if you voted for Romney*, and complain about the direction Obama is taking the country, against your desires, you are just entitled. If lots of people buy a game I think is shit, like Thi4f and the new Wolfenstein, and I complain and voice my opinions of those games, I'm just entitled. Anytime I voice an opinion on something that I think should be better, or speak with my wallet and refuse to purchase for whatever reason ( consolization, DRM, forced social BS, online-only...), I'm acting entitled.

I think you should look up "entitlement". Wanting something better and having a strong opinion about something is not the same as feeling you deserve it. I'm just so fucking tired of the whole "entitled PC gamer" bullshit from clueless fanboys and console sheeple.

*I didn't. I mean... hell no.
Here's the difference between the perfectly reasonable scenarios you described, and what's actually happening. You or anyone else is more than welcome to point out your displeasure with an aspect of a product. What you don't have any grounds to do, is claim that you're being treated unequally.

It's basically the same thing as the thread a few weeks ago where people complained that Bungie was fucking over PC gamers - never mind that they have the exact same number of games that they would have had, had Destiny not been made at all.

If you guys want to claim disparate treatment, let's see some actual relative harm. The PC has higher settings than the next-gen consoles, available right out of the box, so no harm there - quite the opposite, it's special treatment just for your platform. So much for Settingsgate.

81. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 09:49  Blue 

Purposefully cripple product = unequal treatment. Or, as their own developers put it "is PC only, who cares."

Was that confirmed?

Yes it was commented in the games source files, you can see it yourself as just as easily.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

80. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 08:51 Redmask

Was that confirmed?

79. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 07:32 KilrathiAce

That 2nd paragraph should of read, we must focus on making a great game, however to get best experience due to our lame drm people pirate just to actually play game without problems.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

78. No subject Jun 22, 2014, 06:21 Mashiki Amiketo

Was that confirmed?
Oh it's in the packshaders.dat file. Extract it and you can see it for yourself.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

77. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 04:43 Iurand

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 12:07:
Now about Uplay itself. They give you free games, offered by Ubisoft, and your surprised you can't redeem them anywhere else but Uplay? Really? But yet it's ok for EA to do this?

Where did he wrote, that it's OK for EA to do this?

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:04:
Out of every form of DRM, online DRM has always proven the worst for customers. Issues with flaky internet, Diablo 3/SimCity/numerous other games whom severs couldn't handle the pounding, etc... Just because something can be down, doesn't mean it's the best/only option.

At least you have a chance to run it on anything post XP. Try play Blazing Angels now.

Was that confirmed?

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2014, 04:56.

76. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 01:41 ASeven

His complaint is that others, by buying products they enjoy, are not shaping the market to his desires. If that isn't entitlement, then what is?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2014, 02:30.

75. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 00:53 Sempai

Chris Early from Ubisoft is an obvious troll. He's trolling everyone here with his oh so astute "new found outlook."

Alright Chris, first things first. Nuke Uplay from orbit, or stfu and crawl back into your hole.

74. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 00:11 Fletch

So if you voted for Romney*, and complain about the direction Obama is taking the country, against your desires, you are just entitled. If lots of people buy a game I think is shit, like Thi4f and the new Wolfenstein, and I complain and voice my opinions of those games, I'm just entitled. Anytime I voice an opinion on something that I think should be better, or speak with my wallet and refuse to purchase for whatever reason ( consolization, DRM, forced social BS, online-only...), I'm acting entitled.

I think you should look up "entitlement". Wanting something better and having a strong opinion about something is not the same as feeling you deserve it. I'm just so fucking tired of the whole "entitled PC gamer" bullshit from clueless fanboys and console sheeple.

*I didn't. I mean... hell no.

73. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 23:14 Beamer

Quboid wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 22:12:
Beamer wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 21:27:
another person mentioning that customers have "rights" other than just not-buying (but not saying what those rights are)

Who me? I didn't think the existence of consumer protection laws needed backed up. The Sale Of Goods Act 1979, for example. Whether or not that applies, or what laws do apply, is a question for someone with more law degrees than I have.

Edit: In response to your post 3 minutes before this one - bravo! The thing that really amazes me about this is when the hell have you ever heard of anyone, particularly Ubisoft, have a problem with their PC port being too good.

I didn't mean you in particular, just the weird conversation in general.

And ports are never too good, but e3 demos often are. They may be prerendered, but often are actual in-engine demos that get stripped because that's easier than polishing and fixing to work beyond that one scene. Ineptitude. They mean for the final to look like that, they just fail.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

72. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 23:12 Kevin Lowe

Fletch wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 22:58:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 13:17:
The entitlement is strong with this thread.

The righteousness is strong with this commenter.

Consider the following:
ASeven wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:22:
If I don't buy something, others might, something that seems to have not entered your flawed logic. And if others buy the game it shapes the market. If a game with draconian DRM sells a lot it will send a message to publishers, regardless if I bought it or not. And regardless if I bought it or not I will voice my displeasure about consumer rights being throttled due to draconian DRM. That's just one example of all the shit Ubisoft, and the gaming industry, keeps pulling on us.

71. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 23:02 Fletch

Beamer wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 21:27:
This thread needed cliff's notes because no one seems to be responding to anything in particular, anymore, just throwing out angry posts based on what look kind of like misinterpretations.

Oh yeah? Well, FUCK YOU!!

70. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 22:58 Fletch

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 13:17:
The entitlement is strong with this thread.

The righteousness is strong with this commenter.

69. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 22:50 Fletch

The "service" they want to include with the game is the fucking problem. It's DRM. Quit forcing it on customers. It's why I don't give Ubisoft games even a first look.  

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo