Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Eurogamer.net - Ending the Minecraft fantasy.
Mojang has always been something else; the company that unlocked the gaming world's creativity, that regularly poked at big business. We routinely call Markus Persson "Notch" and for that and other reasons, he can't help but feel 'one of us' in a way that no other developer right now can claim - the guy who initially faced Bethesda's guns over the name "Scrolls" by suggesting the two companies fight it out in Quake 3, dropped plans to work with the Oculus Rift due to fears of what Facebook might to do it, and recently got the kind of coverage most developers can only dream of simply by spending two hours knocking out a dumb joke game about a horse. The same Notch talking about EULAs and lawyers doesn't fit that playful narrative. It's like being threatened with a restraining order by your teddy bear.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2014, 14:56 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 21:54:
They should be rejoicing he's changed his EULA? Uh no. No one should be rejoicing that EVER in any industry. In fact, it shouldn't be permitted at all. If he didn't have the foresight then, than tough titty for him. He can chalk that up to a life lesson.

You really do not even do cursory reading about the things you comment on, do you?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2014, 02:21 Sepharo

They should be rejoicing he's changed his EULA? Uh no. No one should be rejoicing that EVER in any industry. In fact, it shouldn't be permitted at all. If he didn't have the foresight then, than tough titty for him. He can chalk that up to a life lesson.

As someone pointed out restrictions were loosened. The EULA changed to explicitly disallowing making money off of the game and mods in March 2012 but it wasn't enforced. Now he's going to start enforcing but with more relaxed restrictions that will allow selling of cosmetic items and server membership/entry fees (but no game affecting fees/sales).

10. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2014, 02:17 Sepharo

TheVocalMinority wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 01:04:
One thing I'm curious about. I've not played Minecraft myself but I think I read somewhere that either the client or server (or possibly both) had to phone home before it would start. Baring the existence of a hacked server I imagine this would make it easy for Notch to enforce the "new" rules on server admins. If they didn't comply the server simply would not start. Anyone know if this is the case?

Yeah it's the same situation for almost all private servers. There is an authentication server to hit first before connecting to the private server. With Valve servers it used to be WON and when that went down because of switching over to Steam a lot of unofficial stuff got cut off and people were ticked for a bit.

9. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2014, 02:10 mag

dubfanatic wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 22:45:
mag wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 22:05:
The change to the EULA LOOSENED the terms. LOOSENED them. LOOSENED. It is LESS STRICT now. It was MORE STRICT before. He had something in the EULA to prevent server-operators from enacting pay-to-play. He LOOSENED that, so server operators can recoup costs.

Why Do People Persist in Believing Things That Just Aren't True?

tl;dr don't bother arguing with people who hold incorrect beliefs, it just makes it worse

It's impossible to convince Cutter that he's wrong, but it's important to combat his campaigns of disinformation.

8. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2014, 01:04 TheVocalMinority

One thing I'm curious about. I've not played Minecraft myself but I think I read somewhere that either the client or server (or possibly both) had to phone home before it would start. Baring the existence of a hacked server I imagine this would make it easy for Notch to enforce the "new" rules on server admins. If they didn't comply the server simply would not start. Anyone know if this is the case?  
Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

7. Re: Op Ed Jun 21, 2014, 22:45 dubfanatic

mag wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 22:05:
The change to the EULA LOOSENED the terms. LOOSENED them. LOOSENED. It is LESS STRICT now. It was MORE STRICT before. He had something in the EULA to prevent server-operators from enacting pay-to-play. He LOOSENED that, so server operators can recoup costs.

Why Do People Persist in Believing Things That Just Aren't True?

tl;dr don't bother arguing with people who hold incorrect beliefs, it just makes it worse

6. Re: Op Ed Jun 21, 2014, 22:05 mag

5. Re: Op Ed Jun 21, 2014, 21:54 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

4. Re: Op Ed Jun 21, 2014, 21:14 Sepharo

PC gamers should be rejoicing over Notch's stand on this. Nobody wants to get nickle and dimed or deal with P2W scenarios. This is all he wanted to address, you can still sell cosmetic non-game affecting items.

Right when the scandal was hitting I joined some of the popular networks since I hadn't experienced it before. You enter the spawn and it's signs and colorful chat bombarding you everywhere listing your limited rights and prices for everything under the sun. Really off putting.

3. Re: Op Ed Jun 21, 2014, 16:56 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 14:52:
the scrolls thing was just as stupid if not moreso

I thought it was funny.

I've never put him on a pedestal. I just thought he was a dude that got lucky with something he thought would be cool, and it turned out that everyone else thought so too.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Op Ed Jun 21, 2014, 14:52 harlock

the scrolls thing was just as stupid if not moreso  

1. Re: Op Ed Jun 21, 2014, 14:17 Cutter

Fanboy is sad his hero turns out to be just another selfish human being. Awwwww. Don't cry for him, Argentina.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo