Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped

A post from Monday on Softpedia highlights comments from Ubisoft's Alex Hutchinson during a recent episode of Major Nelson's podcast about the graphics in Far Cry 4, the next installment in the shooter series (thanks HARDOCP). Alex explains that the game's visuals on the new console systems are equal to those on the PC, in spite of the PC's greater capabilities:

We develop on PC primarily, which is actually unusual. With Assassinís Creed, we develop on console, so we start at that and we push the boundary of the console as hard as we can. But because we develop on PC, youíve never really seen on console the ultra-high PC version before.

So even out of the box, even day one, we just stuck the code on the new consoles and we were able to dial it all the way up. So as a console player youíre already getting by far the best version we can ship.

On a related note, this trailer from VG247 shows about 10 minutes of Far Cry 4 gameplay captured at E3.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 22, 2014, 03:33 Ant

jdreyer wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 03:22:
Axis wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 09:50:
Haven't wanted to play a Far Cry game since the first (and imo the best one).

Definitely don't want to start again with FC 4...

I don't think I finished FC1, but I put in a good 20 hours. It was pretty fun. I've tried to play FC2, twice and can't get past the first half hour. Promised myself I wouldn't pick up FC3 until I played most of FC2...
I finished FC1, but hated its last few levels. I never bothered with FC2 even though I got it for free. I just gave both discs to a co(worker/lleague) who only played the FC1 demo even though it has tons of replayabilities. Geez, get the full game so I gave him mine since I will never play again. Also, my FC2.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 21, 2014, 04:45 Quinn

KilrathiAce wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 19:26:
uplay and ubi sucks. Never touching anything that uses uplay in my life.

So then you're either pirating (shame on you!) or actually missing out on allot of good games (your loss!) due to some useless principle. For me, Uplay works just as well as Steam -- you start it up, click the game you want to play and you're done. As a bonus, Uplay rewards you Uplay points for some achievements with which you can buy ingame rewards (aka achievements actually mean something).

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

46. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 21, 2014, 03:22 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 09:50:
Haven't wanted to play a Far Cry game since the first (and imo the best one).

Definitely don't want to start again with FC 4...

I don't think I finished FC1, but I put in a good 20 hours. It was pretty fun. I've tried to play FC2, twice and can't get past the first half hour. Promised myself I wouldn't pick up FC3 until I played most of FC2...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

45. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 19:26 KilrathiAce

uplay and ubi sucks. Never touching anything that uses uplay in my life.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

44. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 18:58 Rattlehead

Alamar wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 17:37:
Rattlehead wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 11:46:
Eh no loss for me, I pirate all Ubi games anyway, that's my policy. Until they remove fucking Uplay, they are never getting another dime from me.

So go ahead, castrate the game all you want.

We all have our justifications, for the things we do, but I wonder... Do you also have this policy for more invasive, in the way, DRM schemes, like Steam?

-Alamar
Bwahaha, Steam is more invasive? Are you on crack or something? Uplay is extremely slow, unstable and does zero stop piracy, in fact it encourages me to pirate since I get to bypass that hassle completely. Uplay is the complete opposite of Steam.

43. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 18:18 Beamer

saluk wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 18:13:
I agree with Axis on FC1 - I've played some of FC2 and beaten FC3, but FC1 really blows them away. I'm starting to feel that open world design in general is just lazy. Linear story structure + open local gameplay >>>>> generic loose structure + linear local gameplay. FC2 and 3 are just so bland - run to this outpost with enemies + clear; run to this outpost with enemies + clear. Games are inherently repetitive, but you lose the feeling of a journey, "what is going to happen next?" that the linear structure of FC1 had.

If I ever have to do that part of FC1 with the 10 rocket launcher mutants in one area I'd kill someone.

I think FC3 surpassed FC1 in most all ways. I think Crysis did, too. Still haven't done 2 or 3 of those, yet, even though I own them.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

42. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 18:13 Kosumo

Yep, putting people on your ingonre list is always the answer to people saying things you don't wish to hear.

I believe that Axis was just a few days ago posting postive things about Team Fortress 2, so where you claim he is just always negitive is total bullshit.

41. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 18:13 saluk

I agree with Axis on FC1 - I've played some of FC2 and beaten FC3, but FC1 really blows them away. I'm starting to feel that open world design in general is just lazy. Linear story structure + open local gameplay >>>>> generic loose structure + linear local gameplay. FC2 and 3 are just so bland - run to this outpost with enemies + clear; run to this outpost with enemies + clear. Games are inherently repetitive, but you lose the feeling of a journey, "what is going to happen next?" that the linear structure of FC1 had.  

40. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 17:42 yonder

Alamar wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 17:37:
Eh no loss for me, I pirate all Ubi games anyway, that's my policy. Until they remove fucking Uplay, they are never getting another dime from me.

We all have our justifications, for the things we do, but I wonder... Do you also have this policy for more invasive, in the way, DRM schemes, like Steam?

-Alamar

Please explain how Steam is *MORE* invasive and in-the-way than Ubisoft. Thank you.

39. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 17:41 yonder

Verno wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 12:16:
Creston wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 11:19:
Why not just give the PC those few extra options and pieces of eye candy? They do it for their other games. Maybe they just don't sell enough PC copies to make it worth it, but then just say that. Don't try to hide it behind this fable that the failbox can run everything a PC can.

It's just marketing fluff to assuage their sales base. The PC version will definitely have extra options and visual detail. It's not even a concern IMO, Ubi has been doing much better in the port department.

Please look up what they did for Watch Dogs PC graphics to understand why you're wrong.

38. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 17:37 Alamar

-Alamar

37. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 15:47 Mad Max RW

Drayth wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 13:30:
I give it another year and every one of us will be ignoring everyone else.

Should make the comment section interesting for the lurkers.

We already have admitted Nazi apologist Cutter ignoring virtually every single person on here. His repetitive nonsense is good foreshadowing.

36. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 15:35 Frags4Fun

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 11:43:
"We develop on PC primarily, which is actually unusual. With Assassinís Creed, we develop on console,"

OMG. I'd jump off a cliff trying to type a whole game with a game-pad. No wonder games get delayed.

LMAO! That would be rough!

35. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 14:14 Axis

Drayth wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 13:30:

In life you either bury your head in the sand and live in your own reality, or you have the balls to deal. There's a few people here who are not worth my reading time, but I don't bury my head in the sand in life, and certainly wouldn't in some forums.

The vast majority of "ignorers" are people who love to dish out, but never take -- there's a couple exceptions, but not many.

In the case of Darks there, I provided undeniable proof that he was the negative Nancy he was accusing me of, and he couldn't take it - so Darks resorted to name calling proclaiming an "ignore" in an futile effort to make himself look better - that's kid stuff and I'm fine with it - he'll learn eventually or the world will eat him up.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2014, 14:20.

Yours truly,

Axis

34. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 13:30 Drayth

33. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 13:22 jdreyer

Well obviously PC gamers are FREELOADERS being dragged along by those glorious console sales, so why should we cater to them?

Also, everyone knows PC gamers are all pirates anyway.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

32. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 12:49 Cutter

Ubisoft is most definitely slipping back into bad old habits since the release of the new consoles. Well, if they haven't learned their lesson by now and like losing sales that's their damage.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

31. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 12:32 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 11:43:
"We develop on PC primarily, which is actually unusual. With Assassinís Creed, we develop on console,"

OMG. I'd jump off a cliff trying to type a whole game with a game-pad. No wonder games get delayed.

Giggle

30. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 12:16 Verno

Creston wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 11:19:
Why not just give the PC those few extra options and pieces of eye candy? They do it for their other games. Maybe they just don't sell enough PC copies to make it worth it, but then just say that. Don't try to hide it behind this fable that the failbox can run everything a PC can.

It's just marketing fluff to assuage their sales base. The PC version will definitely have extra options and visual detail. It's not even a concern IMO, Ubi has been doing much better in the port department.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

29. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 11:57 Darks

Yes, another dumbass ignored!  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo