Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up

Capcom Unity rejoices in the inclusion of Dead Rising 3 in the Steam summer sale. They celebrate this by revealing a release date for the Windows edition of the survival/horror game, saying it's due for release on September 5th. There's also a steam community post that offers reassurances that the game should run fine in uncapped mode under most circumstances, addressing recent statements suggesting running the game without its console-oriented 30-fps cap in place could result in "weird stuff with physics" and the like. They have footage showing uncapped gameplay, though this is v-synched to a 60 Hz monitor. Here's word:

Allow me to set the record straight -- while Dead Rising 3 is optimized to run at 30 frames per second for gameplay reasons, you can expect it to still run fine uncapped under most conditions provided you have a capable enough hardware. We canít guarantee that there wonít be issues, and obviously depending on your rig you may see different results. Rest assured the beefier your gaming machine, the smoother your zombie killing experience will be. :)

Bear in mind the frame rate will fluctuate in uncapped mode in certain areas, particularly later in the game, where streets are literally filled with zombies and other complex objects. Couple that with an open world sandbox game engine, big explosions, complex physics interaction, and huge draw distance and youíre bound to experience dips here and there.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 23, 2014, 16:01 JediPunisher

Jerykk wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 05:07:
Also, v-sync is terrible. Causes input lag and microstuttering. How any hardcore PC gamer doesn't already have a 120+ Hz monitor is baffling to me. 120 Hz + no v-sync = smooth, tear-free, lag-free goodness.

Well, for a single player game, a smooth vsynced 30fps is better than an unlocked framerate that bounces all over the place... not to mention the awful screen tearing.
But, I'll agree there are times when no vsync is better, such as to minimize input lag for an illusory advantage in MP games or to minimize microstuttering.

The problem is that disabling v-sync produces tearing... even with a 120Hz monitor... and many of us can not stand screen tearing. Up until now the solution was to cap the frame rate to a multiple of the monitor's refresh rate, usually 30 or 60 fps. This prevents screen tearing by insuring only fully drawn frames are displayed; If the frame rate dips to 40 fps and is vsynced to a 60Hz refresh, it simply means that every other frame is displayed twice with no tearing. John Carmack and Nvidia have been pushing G-Sync (variable vsync) which puts the game in control of when vsync occurs, not the monitor. So, with Nvidia's G-sync and a compatible monitor, the image is only displayed when it is ready, whether it takes 1/10s or 1/120s to draw, which should eliminate screen tearing and microstutter. I'm looking forward to giving this a try when the price of those new monitors drops.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2014, 16:12.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 23, 2014, 05:07 Jerykk

Fluid v-synced 30fps > inconsistent 60fps.

30 FPS is never "fluid." Playable, yes. Fluid? Not even close. As for "inconsistent" 60 FPS, it depends on how inconsistent it is and how severe the drops are. Getting 60 FPS 95% of the time with occasional drops to 45 FPS or above is technically "inconsistent" but I'll take that over a constant 30 FPS any day. A constant 30 FPS is a constantly crappy framerate.

Also, v-sync is terrible. Causes input lag and microstuttering. How any hardcore PC gamer doesn't already have a 120+ Hz monitor is baffling to me. 120 Hz + no v-sync = smooth, tear-free, lag-free goodness.

Sure, many gaming pcs are much more powerful than the XB1. But due to the huge number of zombies instanced onscreen (500?), I guessing VRAM will affect your frame rate far more than horsepower for this game. Remember, the XBone can theoretically assign 8GB, minus the core game and OS overhead, as VRAM. I'd wager an average PC with a 4GB video card beats a $3K monster with triple-SLI 2GB cards.

The zombies are more a matter of CPU (for AI) and GPU (for rendering) power than VRAM usage. VRAM is primarily used for render resolution, texture resolution and antialiasing.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2014, 05:13.

19. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 20, 2014, 14:47 JediPunisher

Fluid v-synced 30fps > inconsistent 60fps.

As you rotate 360 degrees, if you're getting 60fps facing a wall and it dips to ~30fps facing a horde of zombies, you will notice. Better to have it locked to 30fps, IMHO. Sure, many gaming pcs are much more powerful than the XB1. But due to the huge number of zombies instanced onscreen (500?), I guessing VRAM will affect your frame rate far more than horsepower for this game. Remember, the XBone can theoretically assign 8GB, minus the core game and OS overhead, as VRAM. I'd wager an average PC with a 4GB video card beats a $3K monster with triple-SLI 2GB cards.

For the most part, the game was locked to 30fps on the XBone. I only noticed the frame rate dip (maybe to about 20fps) later in the game as I mowed down hundreds of zombies at a time with vehicles.

BTW, it was a fun game, and I didn't even like the original.

18. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 20, 2014, 10:51 descender

What's needed to play it at 60? A Titan super-computer?

An optimized game-engine and competent programmers?

17. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 20, 2014, 07:23 Redmask

I'll just edit a single config file and then go on my merry way. Of course the framerate will change in certain areas where density is higher.  

16. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 20, 2014, 02:44 dj LiTh

@Axis, i also cant stand blur or bloom. Always go off in anything that has those settings.  

15. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 20, 2014, 02:00 Flo

I decided to go back to the PC again (Macbook pro with Win 8.1 is just too loud when gaming this winter. Gonna buy this Alienware Alpha. That's exactly what I always wanted...  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

14. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 20, 2014, 01:43 Fantaz

144 FPS or gtfo...  

13. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 20, 2014, 00:22 Axis

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 21:01:
Axis wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 18:36:
I don't purchase ANY fps/tfps etc game if the frames are capped at any speed. I play FPS's at 120+ these days and I ain't ever going back.

Name 1 FPS released in the last year or two that you play with max settings and get 120+ fps in?

And ya might want to go read the Steam post, where they have links to video footage they took (with machine specs) uncapped.

Give me 1 reason I would desire to play any FPS with max settings? I get 144 solid on every FPS I play because I play for skill not for bling.

And if I feel like playing some FPS story like Fear, I go for middle of the road settings, primarily because I can't stand all the shiny shit people seem to love like bloom, blur, dof etc -- and still get a solid 144. I don't piss around with shit PC's, I don't waste my money on consoles or console games - so I'm glad to beef my PCs.

Max settings are for RPGs, RTS's, Story games, that kinda shit.

Yours truly,

Axis

12. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 20, 2014, 00:01 Wallshadows

So this game has arguably some of the steepest recommended requirements around, possibly minimum as well, and it's being knee capped at 30fps? Wait, you mean to tell me those requirements released only took in to account playing this game at 30fps?

What's needed to play it at 60? A Titan super-computer?

11. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 19, 2014, 23:58 saluk

Jerykk wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 23:10:
So what they're basically saying is that the game is poorly optimized and they can't guarantee a stable framerate beyond 30 FPS.

Eh, sounds more like just covering their ass just in case.

As far as a port, xbox one is pretty much a mid/low end pc, and it makes a lot of sense to keep performance pretty similar to what it already was. The game was originally optimized for 30fps, changing the optimization strategy for 60fps for wide audience machines (many of which have WORSE specs than the xbone) would be quite difficult.

I'm glad they are at least letting higher end users try to push it a little more. Would be gladder if they actually took the effort to support the uncapped mode. Devs lately (capcom more than most) seem to go out of their way to appear lazy. "Uh, guys? We put the exes on a pc and ran it a couple times, and it seems to run. We didn't bother with testing it or anything, it ran OK I guess. Give us money? We did add resolution options!"

10. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 19, 2014, 23:36 born2expire

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 21:01:
Name 1 FPS released in the last year or two that you play with max settings and get 120+ fps in?

I for one will not settle for anything less than 120fps and can max ALL new FPS games at 144fps, its not that much of a stretch.

9. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 19, 2014, 23:10 Jerykk

So what they're basically saying is that the game is poorly optimized and they can't guarantee a stable framerate beyond 30 FPS.  

8. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 19, 2014, 21:01 The Half Elf

Axis wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 18:36:
I don't purchase ANY fps/tfps etc game if the frames are capped at any speed. I play FPS's at 120+ these days and I ain't ever going back.

And ya might want to go read the Steam post, where they have links to video footage they took (with machine specs) uncapped.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 19, 2014, 20:44 Yakubs

Release Dead Rising 1 for the PC and I don't care what the FPS is.  

6. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 19, 2014, 20:33 Tim Collins

30fps this and that? straight dunces.  

5. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 19, 2014, 20:31 RaZ0r!

Rest assured I won't be buying this game even on a Steam sale.  

4. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 19, 2014, 20:19 Simon Says

Stupidity -_-. MAKE IT STOP!

Probably that what they use ( tweak, hack, shortcut, whatever ) to squeeze everything they can from the slow ass consoles results in problems when you try to run it at higher than intended fps.

Yeah, next gen are so HAWT! -_- Stupidity...

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2014, 20:26.

3. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 19, 2014, 19:52 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 18:13:
Why not just add a 60 cap option?

Because if you listen to the console idiots, 30fps is for that "true cinematic experience."

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 19, 2014, 18:36 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo