Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2014, 00:01 xXBatmanXx

jdreyer wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 03:56:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 05:23:
The problem is, as the article says, they're fueled by ego, they think less critically about their decisions because of that ego (they think they're infallible), and over time they hire people that feed that ego by not questioning them.

You just described my Chief!

I guess that means you won't be getting a promotion.

I didn't. He promoted his drinking buddy.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2014, 03:56 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 05:23:
The problem is, as the article says, they're fueled by ego, they think less critically about their decisions because of that ego (they think they're infallible), and over time they hire people that feed that ego by not questioning them.

I guess that means you won't be getting a promotion.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2014, 05:23 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 20:18 NegaDeath

As a followup to the news about Harrison Ford hurting his ankle on set recently, apparently he broke his leg.

I assume when the Doctor told him he simply responded with "I know".

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 17:24 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 16:14:
Oh hell, don't give Dan Snyder any ideas. 'Cause you know what word HE'd put up with the N.

(For those of you unfamiliar with Dan Snyder and can't reason this out, it'd rhyme with Snickers.)

"Nickers?"

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 16:57 Creston

BobBob wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 16:22:
Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 16:18:
You should call yourself a Mutt

I just call myself American.

An American Mutt, starring Kevin Spacey. Coming Soon, to a theater near you.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 16:22 BobBob

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 16:18:

I just call myself American.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 16:18 Creston

BobBob wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 14:33:
I have American Indian (Native American) DNA floating in my biology. Of course, who doesn't these days?. I also have European DNA. Or should I say I'm Irish, English, Polish, German, Russian, Native American? Or should I spell out each ethnicity clearly and separately?

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 16:14 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 12:21:
mag wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 12:14:
Cutter wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 11:38:
So the Redskins lost their trademark. Wow. Wonder what they'll do now. They should probably just change the team name seeing how much pressure is on them from all sides. Hell, they don't even play in Washington. Why not call them the "Maryland Mauraders™"?

I saw someone suggest the "Washington Department of Football Services," which I think is the best and most terrifying professional sports name possible.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.
That's fantastic. But it needs an N. Department of Football N(something) Services. DeFNS.

Oh hell, don't give Dan Snyder any ideas. 'Cause you know what word HE'd put up with the N.

(For those of you unfamiliar with Dan Snyder and can't reason this out, it'd rhyme with Snickers.)

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 16:02 BobBob

Beamer wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 15:42:
That's good, because there have been so many national sports teams mocking your various white sides owned by non-white people.

How does that even compare?

Based on your stance, I should walk around in a state of self-hatred for one part of myself mocks the other part. Take a deep look at European history, you'll see that often different nationalities hated and enslaved each other. For example, based on my own heritage, German vs. Polish vs. Russian or English vs. Irish or all of the above warring or making love with (in my case) Native Americans. The distinct advantage in my situation is that I can role-play WW2 or Cowboys and Indians all on my own.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 15:42 Beamer

BobBob wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 14:51:
Beamer wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 14:35:

There's quite a difference between being based on ethnicity and being based on a slur.

I really fail to see why so many people struggle with this.

When I think of my Polish side, all I can come up with are jokes about myself and it makes me laugh -- it also contributes to my hard work ethic. When I think about my English side, I wonder how bad my teeth are, how I can't cook and ill mannered others seem to be. When I contemplate my Irish side, I feel my inner anger and a bit of James Joyce. The German side makes me think of my arrogance and desire for order. My Russian side makes me think of my desires for social justice and philosophical contemplation. My Native American side makes me want to go camping and run through the wilderness.

Do I really think all this? No. It's just a bunch of BS stereotypes and fantasy thinking. I'm just an average person. Heritage means nothing to me in the grand scheme of things. One's true heritage come from childhood and every imaginary and creative step taken up till now. I believe, and hope, future generations will come to the same realization.

That's good, because there have been so many national sports teams mocking your various white sides owned by non-white people.

How does that even compare?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 14:51 BobBob

Beamer wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 14:35:

There's quite a difference between being based on ethnicity and being based on a slur.

When I think of my Polish side, all I can come up with are jokes about myself and it makes me laugh -- it also contributes to my hard work ethic. When I think about my English side, I wonder how bad my teeth are, how I can't cook and ill mannered others seem to be. When I contemplate my Irish side, I feel my inner anger and a bit of James Joyce. The German side makes me think of my arrogance and desire for order. My Russian side makes me think of my desires for social justice and philosophical contemplation. My Native American side makes me want to go camping and run through the wilderness.

Do I really think all this? No. It's just a bunch of BS stereotypes and fantasy thinking. I'm just an average person. Heritage means nothing to me in the grand scheme of things. One's true heritage come from childhood and every imaginary and creative step taken up till now. I believe, and hope, future generations will come to the same realization.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2014, 15:07.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 14:35 Beamer

BobBob wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 14:33:
Another wave of political correctness destroying our minds and culture. Plenty of High School sports teams have names that are based on ethnicity -- especially American Indians, or is it Native Americans, or is it Indians?

I have American Indian (Native American) DNA floating in my biology. Of course, who doesn't these days?. I also have European DNA. Am I proud of either? Not really. I don't really care. I consider myself your typical native California beach boy. Race, religion or politics matter not. Surf's up!

-------------

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 14:33 BobBob

Another wave of political correctness destroying our minds and culture. Plenty of High School sports teams have names that are based on ethnicity, typically in battle name fashion, especially American Indians -- or is it Native Americans, or is it Indians?

I have American Indian (Native American) DNA floating in my biology. Of course, who doesn't these days?. I also have European DNA. Or should I say I'm Irish, English, Polish, German, Russian, Native American? Or should I spell out each ethnicity clearly and separately?

I am:

Irish American
English American
Polish American
Russian American
German American
Native American

Oh heck with it, I'll keep it simple. I'm American!

Am I proud of my heritage? Not really. I don't care. I consider myself your typical native California beach boy. Race, religion or politics matter not. Surf's up!

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2014, 14:58.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 13:33 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 13:14:
Is This the Beginning of the End of the Redskins’ Team Name?

But what’s interesting about the new trademark ruling is how it undermines Mr. Snyder’s stated case for not making a change. He and his newly hired lobbyists and public relations gurus have tried to argue that “Redskins” is meant to honor and celebrate Native Americans, not belittle them.

Lol! As if. Tell you what Dan, why don't you head out to some reservations. When you meet the people there say, 'Hey Redskin! Want some firewater, chief?' and see how that works out for you. They'll be feeling something alright and honored isn't the word that comes to mind. Christ, the arrogance of the elites. Common decency would have made anyone change that name long ago, but not clowns like this. 'I'm rich and powerful so I can do anything I want!' America really needs a cure to this terrible Affluenza.

American Indians feel the same way as black people do about the N-word. We wouldn't tolerate a team named the Atlanta N*gg*rs. Why tolerate the R#dsk#ns?

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 13:32 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 13:26:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 10:02:
Executives typically have contracts with huge pay outs if they are let go - so the incentive to work hard is very small....

I was going to say the same thing. The other thing is CEOs used to make 20x worker salary in the '60s and 30x the '70s. Today they make more than 300x worker salary. Meanwhile, average worker salary has not gone at all during the same period, despite massive gains in productivity. ALL the money has gone to C-class execs. Time to bring back the 90% tax bracket.

You sound like me.
But I disagree that the golden parachute is a disincentive to most CEOs. Most of them are fueled be ego, and getting fired, even if they make a huge amount of cash from it, doesn't support their ego.

Want proof? Read the article. It says that the CEOs perform worse over time. If the golden parachute was the incentive, they'd fail rapidly. The problem is, as the article says, they're fueled by ego, they think less critically about their decisions because of that ego (they think they're infallible), and over time they hire people that feed that ego by not questioning them.

Of course, it's also that ego that makes them think that the profits the company experiences are gained via their decisions, not the hard work of thousands of employees, and therefore they deserve huge bonuses while G&A remains flat.

-------------

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 13:31 Cutter

Acleacius wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 13:02:
Steam Summer Sale begins!

Cool beans. Don't forget to check prices with Is There Any Deal?, people!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 13:31 jdreyer

Duplicate post.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 13:26 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 10:02:
Executives typically have contracts with huge pay outs if they are let go - so the incentive to work hard is very small....

I was going to say the same thing. The other thing is CEOs used to make 20x worker salary in the '60s and 30x the '70s. Today they make more than 300x worker salary. Meanwhile, average worker salary has not gone up at all during the same period, despite massive gains in productivity. ALL the money has gone to C-class execs. Time to bring back the 90% tax bracket.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 13:26 Verno

I think we can all agree Redskins is pretty dumb and there are many better team names they could go with to represent Washington. Maybe the Washington Conmen.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo