Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Game|Life - Why Videogames Should Be Played With Friends, Not Online With Strangers.
“There’s something super addictive and super satisfying about just sitting down with your friends and having that real-world experience,” he says. “I think a lot of the times people play Cards, they have this great time and they often attribute it to the game, but it’s really just that the game was the pretext for them to sit down and have this real world interaction.”

Wilson hopes Sportsfriends will similarly act as a “Trojan horse” that gets gamers back into the living room, socializing in person, recapturing the magic of the offline games he played in his youth.

Feminist Frequency Women as Background Decoration – Tropes vs Women. Thanks Ant via Boing Boing.
In this episode we explore the Women as Background Decoration trope which is the subset of largely insignificant non-playable female characters whose sexuality or victimhood is exploited as a way to infuse edgy, gritty or racy flavoring into game worlds. These sexually objectified female bodies are designed to function as environmental texture while titillating presumed straight male players. Sometimes they’re created to be glorified furniture but they are frequently programmed as minimally interactive sex objects to be used and abused.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2014, 12:56 Beamer

I also find it fascinating that the guy most angry at the wealthy for thinking they're better and deserve more income is also claiming that Stephen Hawking is more important than some poor, uneducated ditch digger.

Again, the issue I always see with these discussions is that some people are unable to see the world through eyes other than their own, and he's the worst as every single political opinion he has is about what is best for him and fuck anyone not him.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2014, 12:51 jdreyer

SS wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 09:16:
SS is my initials, not some allusion to anything else, so I don't get what that has to do with the discussion.
Not directly related, which is why I put it in parens. I figured it was something innocent. That being said, they are related in the sense that the SS oppressed minorities, while Anita is fighting against minority oppression. Also, as Eraser pointed out, this is an international board and those initials carry a lot of baggage. If you weren't aware before you are now.

You make a facile argument, taste in a movie is not the same as trying to make a cultural change in an industry, so yes I see how dumb your point sounds. Where did I write that she has to be in the industry to criticize it? Anybody can do that and I wouldn't stop her, but she obviously wants to change things which is a different kettle of fish. If you want to change things you need to take real action, not sit around and point the finger in the hopes that people will listen and do it for you. Her making a game is just one idea for an action,(you know, leading by example) where as making a video series telling people things they already know is pissing up a rope.
Wrong. Any criticism BY DEFINITION advocates change. "If you don't like this X go make your own X," is an attempt to invalidate the criticism by the criticism: "You can't even make your own X, therefore your criticism is invalid." You may not mean it that way, you may be genuine in your suggestion, but that's how it's interpreted.

I'm sure you'll disagree with me and that's fine, but I don't understand why everyone is getting so heated over this. Its really not a big issue.
Here's something to put it into perspective http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZgYso0vxnQ
Well, sure, but that's related to this. Oppression is oppression. Anita has been threatened with rape and murder, and thousands of women in the Congo have been raped and murdered. Also, there are always bigger problems in the world. While such problems still exist, why are you even spending time on a blog about gaming?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

48. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2014, 10:52 eRe4s3r

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 08:46:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 06:11:
really? You chose "SS" as your name?

Better call GM and complain to them about the usage, too. The Impala SS, the Camaro SS, Chevelle SS, Malibu SS, Nova SS, the Silverado SS, etc.

SS can also mean "Super Sport" and was made part of the American lexicon in 1961 with the release of the Impala SS. I'd wager that more Americans know SS from GM/Chevrolet than they do from history.

The fact that we are even talking about this would indicate some things

To me, a user with name SS is instantly ignored, because one has to assume he knows the meaning in historic context and if he wasn't a neonazi he at least knows that his name would make others assume that he is.

Of course, as I am German this might not surprise you, but the first thing I think of when reading SS is not Super Sport (in fact, thats like the last thing I would think off, 2nd would be Super Sampling and 3rd would be Solid State ;p) so whatever the case, it's a really, really bad user name if you want your opinion to not be instantly devalued

47. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2014, 09:16 SS

SS wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 23:37:
Wow one George Carlin reference causes an eruption.
Just for the record I like Anita and I agree with many of her points, but not all of them. What she says doesn't bother me, even the things I don't agree with. The thing is, all she's doing by complaining is appealing to men to do what she wants, which isn't very female empowering. If she wants real change then she should put her money where her mouth is and make a game herself, with an all female staff. Action speaks louder than words. I'd buy a copy.

Sorry, SS (really? You chose "SS" as your name?) but that's a bullshit response.
First, a person can criticize trends in an industry without needing to join that industry and try to improve it. "Oh, you didn't like the movie? Go make your own movie then." See how dumb that sounds?
Second, if the only people allowed to criticize an industry were those participating in it, said criticism would be extremely myopic and weak. In fact, you'd have almost no criticism at all.

SS is my initials, not some allusion to anything else, so I don't get what that has to do with the discussion.
You make a facile argument, taste in a movie is not the same as trying to make a cultural change in an industry, so yes I see how dumb your point sounds. Where did I write that she has to be in the industry to criticize it? Anybody can do that and I wouldn't stop her, but she obviously wants to change things which is a different kettle of fish. If you want to change things you need to take real action, not sit around and point the finger in the hopes that people will listen and do it for you. Her making a game is just one idea for an action,(you know, leading by example) where as making a video series telling people things they already know is pissing up a rope.

I'm sure you'll disagree with me and that's fine, but I don't understand why everyone is getting so heated over this. Its really not a big issue.
Here's something to put it into perspective http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZgYso0vxnQ

46. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2014, 08:53 Burrito of Peace

nin wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 08:51:
None of which are in his name.

So? Chevrolet sells a model that's just called the "SS" as well.

45. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2014, 08:51 nin

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 08:46:

Better call GM and complain to them about the usage, too. The Impala SS, the Camaro SS, Chevelle SS, Malibu SS, Nova SS, the Silverado SS, etc.

None of which are in his name.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

44. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2014, 08:46 Burrito of Peace

SS can also mean "Super Sport" and was made part of the American lexicon in 1961 with the release of the Impala SS. I'd wager that more Americans know SS from GM/Chevrolet than they do from history.

43. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2014, 06:11 jdreyer

SS wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 23:37:
Just for the record I like Anita and I agree with many of her points, but not all of them. What she says doesn't bother me, even the things I don't agree with. The thing is, all she's doing by complaining is appealing to men to do what she wants, which isn't very female empowering. If she wants real change then she should put her money where her mouth is and make a game herself, with an all female staff. Action speaks louder than words. I'd buy a copy.

Sorry, SS (really? You chose "SS" as your name?) but that's a bullshit response.
First, a person can criticize trends in an industry without needing to join that industry and try to improve it. "Oh, you didn't like the movie? Go make your own movie then." See how dumb that sounds?
Second, if the only people allowed to criticize an industry were those participating in it, said criticism would be extremely myopic and weak. In fact, you'd have almost no criticism at all.

42. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2014, 05:56 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 16:29:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 15:35:
I know, right? What were those uppity black folks back in the '60s THINKING? All those marches and rallies and riots did nothing to further their cause! If only they'd gently nudged.

And look at all the violence that ensued during that period. That's precisely my point. The government had to call out the fucking national guard in several states just to keep order. That's the end result of trying to force people into things they don't agree with. And what do you have today? Still a heavily fractured melting pot that doesn't melt. Multiculturalism doesn't work. And men and women are not equals. That doesn't mean one is inherently better than the other, it just means they're not equals. All the feel good PC liberalism is just so much Disneyfied bullshit. Walt Disney knew it was all bullshit, but it would sell. Do you honestly believe the ditch diggers of the world are just as important to humanity as someone like Stephen Hawking?

Yup, it's still not perfect today. But without all that upheaval in the 60s, black people would still be drinking from separate fountains, riding in the back of the bus, and being suppressed via Jim Crow.

Do you honestly believe the ditch diggers of the world are just as important to humanity as someone like Stephen Hawking?

Dunno about Canada, but that's enshrined in the document that our founders used to emancipate us from Great Britain:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness"

41. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2014, 04:22 ASeven

This new brand of feminism is more about playing the professional victim and trying to change inconsequential things rather than going for the real problems women face in the world today, from the abuse they suffer in countries where religion law is prominent to forced marriages to equality in work salaries and distribution. That was what real feminism was and is about, this new brand is nothing more than first world problems that don't solve shit and serve nothing more than to play the victim card whenever someone says something that they don't like.

Such a shame so many people still buy and eat all this shit, instead of actually working towards an equal society all over the world.

40. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2014, 02:11 jimnms

Feminism versus FACTS (RE Damsel in distress):
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Steam Profile

39. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 23:37 SS

38. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 20:03 Dades

The same woman did not say those two things in a split second while opening a door. Two different women maybe. I'm sure there are women who don't want doors opened for them the same way I run into alpha males who insist I go first or that they hold the door themselves. People are just rude, its not a gender specific thing.

That's not to say I identify with bullshit feminist agendas but we don't need complain like they do about it. The easiest way to torpedo that shit is to ignore it, they need the media attention for their dumb cause.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

37. No subject Jun 18, 2014, 19:52 Mashiki Amiketo

Dades wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 19:45:
That sounds like some scenario you imagined or saw on a sitcom.

Have seen it happen, the city where it happened is known as "the centre of the universe" aka Toronto.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

36. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 19:45 Dades

Cutter wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 19:43:
Ever hear women bitch about chivalry is dead if a man doesn't open a door for a woman? Then bitch because they're capable of getting the door themselves? There's no winning, fellas.

That sounds like some scenario you imagined or saw on a sitcom.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

35. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 19:43 Cutter

Ever hear women bitch about chivalry is dead if a man doesn't open a door for a woman? Then bitch because they're capable of getting the door themselves? There's no winning, fellas.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

34. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 19:30 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 16:40:
And, with video games, no one gives a shit that Batman is a dude, despite you repeatedly saying it. What people care about is that video games star, almost exclusively, straight white males. Non-straight, non-white or non-males tend to be minor roles, often underclothed and in distress.

Hollywood isn't like this. The Hunger Games is about a strong female who's clothed. Even comic book movies now - Natalie Portman is Thor's clothed love interest. Scarlett Johansson is Captain America's clothed partner who saves his ass.
In video games? No. This doesn't happen often. People don't care much that many video games are trite, whitewashed male bullshit. People care that it's almost exclusive.

Video games star almost exclusively white males because that's what sells. That's the market; frankly, if anybody tries to do anything different they can't win. Lara Croft was remade into a character who, in the latest game, could easily have been male and people *still* bitch because she's attractive so therefore not male enough to not be sexist.

As far as Hollywood not doing the same thing, that's utter horseshit. Just completely untrue. There are no comic books movies with female leads that Hollywood's taken a serious shot at despite the popularity of the characters in comics. Johannsen's Black Widow fits the same minor character stereotype that you just slammed games for, she's almost completely unnecessary in the movie.

And the Hunger Games turns into a damsel story by the 3rd book where she becomes a prize between her two love interests. Sorry to burst the bubble for you, if you haven't read it.

There are umpteen examples of characters that don't fit your minor role, damsel in distress, unclothed stereotype but instead with all this Sarkeesian shit THIS is the kind of discussion we have. It's idiotic, it's not actually factual, and it really serves no purpose whatsoever.

33. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 19:29 Agent.X7

#FirstWorldProblems

Men don't constantly hear discussion on their looks.

Because women never judge men based on looks, right?

Hollywood isn't like this

Ahahahahahahahaha! How can you even say that with a straight face?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

32. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 18:12 Mashiki Amiketo

jdreyer wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 15:22:
I have no idea if any women read this blog, but I do wonder what women gamers think of the work Anita does.
My sister reads it, she doesn't have an account but she'll forward things to me to send in to the news bag as well. I believe her statement on this article today, when we were discussing it was:

"Will that fucking cunt, please shut up and stop trying to ruin my games." She's pretty much what every feminist hates. Independent, works in a male dominated field(works in a canadian federal prison as a guard), and doesn't expect free handouts. If you want to hear vitriol, anger, rage, and hate asking her about 3rd wave feminism is a good way to see it.

Another female friend of mine, who works here in Ontario as a prison guard is along similar lines. Detests feminism to it's core, and everything it's trying to do today. The three of us went through the same law program a few years ago.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

31. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 18:04 nin

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 17:19:
Really do we not have better shit to argue about?

Some people come here to do nothing but argue with other people.

They are best ignored.

Also, I still blame all of this on Ant.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo