Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Deus Ex Details?

PlaystationTrophies.org claims insider knowledge in presenting allegedly leaked details about Deus Ex: Universe, the upcoming DX project first revealed last October. According to their unidentified source this was originally conceived as a single game, but now will be a trilogy with a Mass Effect-style continuity where the outcome of each game impacting the games that follow. They follow this with the claim that another inside source has shared details about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, which was trademarked in March, and is likely the other DX game revealed alongside DX Universe. Their source claims to have seen promotional material for the game, showing it will star both Adam Jensen from Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Deus Ex: The Fall's Ben Saxon. They also suggest that it's possible Deus Ex: Mankind Divided will turn out to be the first game in this Deus Ex: Universe trilogy. Thanks NowGamer.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 18, 2014, 09:02 nin

Raptor wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 04:05:
(and yeah, get off my nostalgia lawn ffs

Yeah, seriously.

If you didn't like it, that's fine. But for other people to claim that anyone that liked it hasn't played anything before 2003 is fucking laughable.

Just because something is different doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable, and no one should claim otherwise.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 18, 2014, 04:05 Raptor

Squirmer wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 22:56:
I think the output of the games industry kinda sucked for a few years through the 2000s, but things are really interesting nowadays thanks to digital distribution and smaller teams. There have always been interesting games along the way so there's always been something worth playing though.

Anyway, point is the original Deus Ex was a better game, so it makes sense to consider why and apply that knowledge to Eidos's next game/s. Hopefully avoiding a travesty like Thi4f in the process (diff teams I know).

E.g. level design. Anyone paying attention would have noticed a difference between the docks map in HR and every other map in HR. The docks map was the most DX-like of all of them, and was way better for it. If they're smart enough to realize that, maybe we'll get some better level design next time.

Ahh, but that's where the technology or "consolitis" as they call it comes in.

DxHR was heavily influenced by the console.
Level design was small and the AI was stuck in "their zones" (just get someone to follow you and see how far they come)

They did try to work around it by compressing things down to still give you those paths or options, but to me it felt like getting a small playground with 3 quite clearly visible toys to play with in every area and having to make a choice between them.

There were tons of other limitations as well and till they get over trying to make the games for consoles (or hopefully the new ones offer more power than my phone) we will never have a true Deus ex game (look at Dx2 - made for consoles = small levels and an IQ drop of a 100)

Then of course the other problem which I fear every time a game gets made for platforms which... say a younger target base.
Simplification and handholding.

They took the things Dx offered and thought "hey, how can we compress things" and then thought "hey, how can we make things very cool with minimal effort required from the player" and of course someone also thought that bossfights would be awesome...

Through answering those questions they ended up with what DxHR had. (and I'm leaving out the gold filter and highlighting here)
Yah we still got hacking, a lot of it actually since they took away so many other things to do that hacking and searching drawers needed to compensate.
Yah we still got our augs, but a lot of them were designed to make the game even easier (or more metal gear solid like) and we lost the skill system to "optimisation".
They pretty much removed emergent gameplay since the choice of tools was so much smaller with rules too clearly defined and restricted by the platform.

And of course finally we also have the writing - one side on the streets just hating the augs for some reason and another side who doesn't...
E-mails were 99% of the time a bore to read, there were probably a few french in-jokes I didn't get and there were references to characters from Dx1 which belongs to the 1% along with some other good E-mails.
The overall story/plot on the other hand... (kinda worked the best when they took/implemented things from Dx1)

The story didn't fit in the Dx universe, it was a prequel, but was more futuristic. I'd like to think of it rather as an alternative universe where some whiny bastard got augmented and didn't ask for it.

So while it still appealed to the 10 year olds in all of us who thought that the takedowns were cool and there was spy shit and hacking and you could explore and talk and do all of those things then in the end to me it lacked the Dx soul & atmosphere - the deep and complex story, the deep and complex gameplay and the proper deus ex universe.

DxHR was a good game, but not by Dx standards, had it been named differently I would have said "hey nice game, has some nice Dx feel to it".
But name it Deus Ex and put in all your anime, MGS, consolitis shit and you get rated by Deus Ex standards.

So get pver trying to make a game for everyone and we might have a deal for the next game, but I think it would also need a different developer, these ones don't get it and Thi4f showed the mentality quite well. Dx is not for the masses.

(and yeah, get off my nostalgia lawn ffs, gonna replay dx1 now)

28. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 23:17 Drayth

Get off my quake lawn!!

*waves nail gun*

27. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 22:56 Squirmer

I think the output of the games industry kinda sucked for a few years through the 2000s, but things are really interesting nowadays thanks to digital distribution and smaller teams. There have always been interesting games along the way so there's always been something worth playing though.

Anyway, point is the original Deus Ex was a better game, so it makes sense to consider why and apply that knowledge to Eidos's next game/s. Hopefully avoiding a travesty like Thi4f in the process (diff teams I know).

E.g. level design. Anyone paying attention would have noticed a difference between the docks map in HR and every other map in HR. The docks map was the most DX-like of all of them, and was way better for it. If they're smart enough to realize that, maybe we'll get some better level design next time.

26. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 19:21 Beamer

Squirmer wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 19:17:
Beamer wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 14:21:
Wildone wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 14:10:
Guess you never played the original, or played PC games before the year 2003

siapnar wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 13:03:
Deus Ex: HR kicked so much ass. Dunno what the hell people are complaining about.

Pumped for a next iteration

How's it feel to live in the past?
Well the games are better at least.

I don't get your point. It's pretty widely thought that the original Deus Ex is a better game than HR, so why would you criticise someone who wants a return to the original's quality?

That wasn't what he said. He said, essentially, that games haven't been good since 2003.

Sorry, if you think your favorite hobby has sucked for 11 years, why bother dedicating so much time to it? There are other ways you can spend your time. Ones that likely won't aggravate you as much as you constantly whine that things used to be so much better.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 19:18 Task

nin wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 19:07:

Deus Ex: HR kicked so much ass. Dunno what the hell people are complaining about.

Holy incorrect assumptions, Batman.

DXHR was fucking awesome.

I think they are talking about THE original. You play as the character in my avatar.

24. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 19:17 Squirmer

Beamer wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 14:21:

Well the games are better at least.

I don't get your point. It's pretty widely thought that the original Deus Ex is a better game than HR, so why would you criticise someone who wants a return to the original's quality?

23. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 19:07 nin

Holy incorrect assumptions, Batman.

DXHR was fucking awesome.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 19:03 Riker

Your comment wasn't directed at me, but I'm someone who has been playing games since the 80s, loved DX:HR, and the original Deus Ex has remained my favorite game of all-time since its release.

21. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 18:13 siapnar

You got me, bro.

I have projectile dysfunction.

20. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 17:42 Quinn

NKD wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 10:57:
Are we back to shitting on DX:HR? You guys need to make up your minds.

This.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

19. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 15:49 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 15:46:
Creston wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 11:23:
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE .... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE .... (much, much later) EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

A trilogy game would be even more awesome. It's one of my favorite things about Mass Effect, even though some of the decisions do kinda fizzle out in the end.

Squee™ and all interations of Squee™ are Trademarked by TheHalfElf™ Enterprises.

That'll be 5 dollah's sir!

PATENT TROLL! PATENT TROLL!!!!!!

18. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 15:46 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 11:23:
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE .... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE .... (much, much later) EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

A trilogy game would be even more awesome. It's one of my favorite things about Mass Effect, even though some of the decisions do kinda fizzle out in the end.

Squee™ and all interations of Squee™ are Trademarked by TheHalfElf™ Enterprises.

That'll be 5 dollah's sir!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 14:47 grudgebearer

Brataccas wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 11:55:
Other than the final chapter, I really enjoyed DX:HR Director's Cut -- set design and music were outstanding. Characters were a little cardboard, but still interesting. Looking forward to a trilogy, but doubtful the impact between games will be anything noteworthy. We've been promised that sort of thing many times before...

Yeah that last chapter killed it for me as well. In spite of the consolitas it suffered from, some of which could be disabled in the settings, it was fun and the story was interesting and the game play was pretty solid minus the boss fights, right up until they had to put "zombies" in it which is pretty much all that last level really is.

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

16. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 14:31 Optional Nickname!

"Are you referring to Deus Ex: The Fall..."

No, I am referring to the HR Director's Cut, which does have these specific game elements (which I implied it doesn't at all) and you are correct to mention that.

My complaint is how wonky and incomplete the UI feels. Especially inventory management, which creates un-necessary chores in moving (click-to-rotate) items and slotting them to your action bar.

Click-dragging implies selecting multiple items with the mouse which probably isn't that important overall, but there is also something about the mouse scroll wheel or unassignable buttons that seemed needlessly restrictive.

Why all of that would even matter in the discussion for this new Title is that the original Deus Ex handled these UI items very well and every title since then has been off.

Since it is trivial to accommodate a mouse and keyboard correctly, even with a console designed game, you can't be too optimistic about the rest.

p.s. The soundtrack continues to surprise me and it is faithful to the Deus Ex experience, I just expect more from the 'Director's Cut'

15. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 14:21 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 14:10 Wildone

13. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 13:34 NegaDeath

Loved HR, eager for some more. Bring on the gold filter!  

12. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 13:03 siapnar

I have projectile dysfunction.

11. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 12:21 Parias

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 10:23:
Consolitis also prevents click-dragging or proper key-rebinding.

Wat. No - DX:HR absolutely allows you to rebind your keyboard keys.

And it absolutely does have drag-and-drop inventory management.

Are you referring to Deus Ex: The Fall instead (which does indeed have such limitations and is universally acclaimed as terrible)? Because that's a VERY different game than Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo