Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade

A thread from last week on the Ubisoft forums discusses stuttering problems some owners of the PC edition of Watch Dogs are experiencing running the open-world action game (thanks DSOGaming). This prompted the following reply from a U.K. Community Manager: "We have identified the factors that are creating this particular issue and are currently working on a fix. We’ll keep you updated when we know more on when we’ll be able to release it." Those looking into the game's visuals and performance, may also be interested in a thread from last week on the Guru3D.com Forums (thanks CVG) which offers tips on how to enable bloom effects and other visual effects shown during the E3 2012 demo of the game, though these may come at the expense of performance and stability.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 17, 2014, 13:27 SpectralMeat

headshot wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 02:54:
- i profile someone and he has the status "had to take a second mortgage" or "saves for a new car" or something like that. i hold Q and transfer 1.600$ from his account. why am i such a dick?

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 17, 2014, 11:55 Kevin Lowe

entr0py wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 17:23:

If I were cynical I'd guess it's because they didn't want to overshadow the new consoles. Like they couldn't get these features working on the PS4, so decided to cut them out of every version.
How, exactly, would Ubisoft benefit from doing that?

32. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 17, 2014, 02:54 headshot

i can't wrap my head about some contradictions this game has..

- five police cars and a chopper follow me, i jump into a board, scuttle under a bridge and -poof- they lost me.
- i profile someone and he has the status "had to take a second mortgage" or "saves for a new car" or something like that. i hold Q and transfer 1.600$ from his account. why am i such a dick?
- i injure or kill a civilian and my rep decreases. i am a dick to every living person, smash cars and every breakable thing on the streets (except 10cm/3,9in "high" brick walls), neutralize cop cars (they even BURN in their cars!!) and damage helicopters and nothing happens.
- i commit crimes to one person with no camera around (which wouldn't call the cops as cameras don't work that way in this game) and with a silenced pistol and some random citizen around the block calls the cops. GTA 4 does this similar.
- pressing Q while driving 150km/h or 93 miles per hour "hacks" blockers, electronic signs, steampipes, pedestrians' phones or bridges in a matter of a second.
- why does chicago need hackable steampipes?

there are many more points which leads me to not believe anything this game world has to offer. if i were a telepathic/telekinetic superhero or villain, i could understand aidens "abilities" to alter his surroundings to some degree. but i am a middle aged weirdo and dick with a cell phone. a 100% waterproof cell phone, by the way.

i wait for GTA 5. that is a world i can live in.

31. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 20:24 Bundy

Not a big fan of the high DoF that this mod includes, but maybe I can disable it. That said, the game both looks better now, and runs far better. I noticed that it does mess with some other settings. Like "HBAO High" setting was reduced. So maybe that's it. I dunno.

For skyrim, Bethesda has never been big on patches. Typically they release a "fix the most common game stopping bugs" patch and then another one that fixes a bunch of random things. And then that's it. The community provides fixes for everything else, within their access, and Bethesda seems content to do fuck all else.

30. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 18:42 Frags4Fun

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 16:52:
Frags4Fun wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 16:27:
There is a major flaw in the game's main character which destroys any sense of realism for me. He's supposed to be some vigilantly, right? He's running around fighting/stopping crime, right? So why is it ok (in his mind) to go and commit the exact same (or worse) crimes? The guy is a total hypocrite. How did the developers not realize this?

They did. It's mentioned several times by news commentators and other characters. He's a flawed character.

Personally I find him way more likeable than someone like Kratos, whose whole tortured existence is his own fault. Or the guy in the second Prototype who caused 90% of his own problems by being an asshole to everyone he met.

Aawww crap! I guess if I kept playing it, I would have found this out. I stopped playing until the performance issues are ironed out. Thanks for the heads up.

29. No subject Jun 16, 2014, 18:03 Mashiki Amiketo

jomisab wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 16:57:
OMG....the crashing...for TWO YEARS....and then a simple SKSE DLL....no more crashing. I guarantee there were programmers at Bethesda who knew full well what the problem was, and they may have even wanted to help, but Bethesda probably wouldn't let them. Literally no profit to be had in fixing it I suppose.
Nothing about a skse dll is simple, especially since the only way it works is to have skse(in the first place), having the extensions available. Look at it this way 90% of the scripting extensions that were available in Skyrim were first introduced in Oblivion and FO:NV. Following that, there's a whole new pile introduced in SKSE for skyrim, which will probably make it into FO4.

Damn it blue, I posted that guru3d thread back a day or two ago in another thread and sent it to ya in a email. probably got eaten by email grue's.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

28. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 17:23 entr0py

Those screen shots do look impressive. Why build all of this stuff and then completely disable it, why not just leave it in as some kind of extreme quality setting?

If I were cynical I'd guess it's because they didn't want to overshadow the new consoles. Like they couldn't get these features working on the PS4, so decided to cut them out of every version.

27. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 16:57 jomisab

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 15:53:
NegaDeath wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 13:27:
Weirdly enough that graphics enhancement mod is also getting reports that it's fixing stuttering and improving performance for people. Makes you wonder wtf Ubi was doing.

Same shit happened with Skyrim, two community patches fixed long time issues they had with the engine.

OMG....the crashing...for TWO YEARS....and then a simple SKSE DLL....no more crashing. I guarantee there were programmers at Bethesda who knew full well what the problem was, and they may have even wanted to help, but Bethesda probably wouldn't let them. Literally no profit to be had in fixing it I suppose.

26. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 16:52 Agent.X7

Frags4Fun wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 16:27:
There is a major flaw in the game's main character which destroys any sense of realism for me. He's supposed to be some vigilantly, right? He's running around fighting/stopping crime, right? So why is it ok (in his mind) to go and commit the exact same (or worse) crimes? The guy is a total hypocrite. How did the developers not realize this?

They did. It's mentioned several times by news commentators and other characters. He's a flawed character.

Personally I find him way more likeable than someone like Kratos, whose whole tortured existence is his own fault. Or the guy in the second Prototype who caused 90% of his own problems by being an asshole to everyone he met.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

25. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 16:27 Frags4Fun

24. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 15:53 HorrorScope

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 13:27:
Weirdly enough that graphics enhancement mod is also getting reports that it's fixing stuttering and improving performance for people. Makes you wonder wtf Ubi was doing.

Same shit happened with Skyrim, two community patches fixed long time issues they had with the engine.

23. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 14:39 NewMaxx

The game with the stealth patch or whatever they did, plus the pagefilecheck tweak, seems to run well enough. Using SLI with 337.88.

Bitcoin miners most commonly come from Usenet or public torrents. Using either without caution is unwise. Doesn't matter what "release group" version you have, it's very easy to insert the miner into the setup or autorun process of an otherwise legitimate release.

22. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 14:07 descender

I didn't think you made it up intentionally, which is why I suggested you should check your system for the bitcoin miner... but there is literally zero reason for a cracked game to run slower. Especially in this case where there have been no patches yet (patches that pirated versions actually still get now thanks to the steam cracks) and the removal of the DRM (uPlay).

I'd say there is likely something else going on there. I know I have my steam folder on the "fast" part of the disk through my defrag software, so if I don't install something there (like a cracked game) it could theoretically end up being slower unless I am diligent.

21. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 13:52 Quinn

descender wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 12:47:
Where do people get this notion that the pirated version runs poorer than the legit copy?

One of the pirated copies of Watch_Dogs comes loaded with a bitcoin miner malware that will run one of your cores 100%. Technically THAT version of THIS game runs slower... but in general cracked copies of games run exactly the same or slightly faster than their legit versions.

Also, quinn you should probably scan your system now

Haha nope I had the right one. The one from the guys that call themselves after the thing you need to do when your clip runs empty. Trust me, it somehow runs poorer. Why would I make this up?

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

20. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 13:50 Creston

robdot wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 09:46:
i cant understand any of the high reviews for this game..

AD dollars.

19. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 13:49 Creston

So we finally reached a point where developers don't automatically DROWN their games in bloom right off the bat, and now we have the community working to put fucking bloom right back into those games where it was left out?

Let's make up our minds fellas.

18. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 13:27 NegaDeath

17. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 12:47 descender

Where do people get this notion that the pirated version runs poorer than the legit copy?

One of the pirated copies of Watch_Dogs comes loaded with a bitcoin miner malware that will run one of your cores 100%. Technically THAT version of THIS game runs slower... but in general cracked copies of games run exactly the same or slightly faster than their legit versions.

Also, quinn you should probably scan your system now

16. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 12:36 Rattlehead

Quinn wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 11:30:
The game has many shortcomings but I've already put 30+ hours in it nevertheless. Also, the 1vs1 hacking / tailing Multiplayer feature is so incredibly awesome I tend to call it revolutionary.

Also, those who pirated the game: Cracked version runs crappier = fact. Pirated it myself first too.

15. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 12:19 Verno

That mod is crazy, just tried it and the difference is staggering. The bait and switch on visuals is even more apparent running it.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo