Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Markus "Notch" Persson - Literally worse than EA. Thanks Eurogamer.net.
Someone saw that the EULA says you can’t charge for these things, and asked one of the people working at Mojang about it. That person said that yes, it is indeed against the rules, and then everything exploded. A lot of people got the impression that we’re changing the EULA somehow to only now disallow these things, but they were never allowed. A lot of people voiced their concerns. A few people got nasty. Someone said we’re literally worse than EA.

We had discussions about it internally, and eventually had a big meeting where we said that yes, people running servers are a huge part of what makes Minecraft so special, and that they need to be able to pay for the servers. So we came up with all sorts of ways this could be done without ruining the “you don’t pay for gameplay” aspect of Minecraft we all find so important. These rules we’re posted in non-legal speak here: mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation (our lawyers are probably having a lot of fun trying to turn that into legal text). There are new rules. These are new exceptions to the EULA. All of these make the rules more liberal than things were before.

People are still asking me to change back to the old EULA. That makes me sad.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Op Ed Jun 17, 2014, 08:45 nin

Linksil wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 22:49:
Nin: you can opt-out of the stupid Wifi thing... but you have to call in... and talk to about 3 level of upsales and other people before getting to the right place to do it. Then they'll keep trying to tell you that other people using your internet connection(router/modem) has NO effect on your speeds/connection. Oh wait we're going to charge you overages or slow down your connection because of usage... hmmmm.

Should have tried this. I'd be curious if it's that simple.

edit: They even list it in the faq... http://wifi.comcast.com/faqs.html

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 22:49 Linksil

Nin: you can opt-out of the stupid Wifi thing... but you have to call in... and talk to about 3 level of upsales and other people before getting to the right place to do it. Then they'll keep trying to tell you that other people using your internet connection(router/modem) has NO effect on your speeds/connection. Oh wait we're going to charge you overages or slow down your connection because of usage... hmmmm.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

29. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 19:37 Creston

RavingArmy wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 15:22:
Creston, you realize that if any of these ideas appear, we're all coming to your place for the lynching, right?

28. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 19:36 Creston

DangerDog wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 15:23:
Creston wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 14:21:
I struggle to imagine what "literally worse than EA" looks like. What would a company have to do to be LITERALLY worse than EA? Let's take a stab at it:

How about Comcast forcing you to "share" the internet connection you've paid for and using your electricity so their so called customers can have wi-fi access from you as a collective hot-spot.

No? How about corporations knowingly killing people either slowly (Monsanto) or more expediently (General Motors).

People seriously need to stop tripping over EA.

Fair enough. I meant "as a publisher." Obviously shitholes such as Monsanto and Bank of America are far, far FAR worse.

27. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 16:52 Frijoles

Cutter wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 13:52:
Isn't the real issue here the revised EULA? My understanding was that it was never prohibited originally and only recently they changed their minds. If that's the case he really hasn't got a legal leg to stand on.

Even if that's true, he could change it going forward. Anyone on the old version would be free to do this, but you'd never be able to upgrade your server. If someone wants to remain on an old version just so they can keep paying to win, fine by me.

26. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 15:57 nin

Pigeon wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 15:46:
nin wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 15:29:
How about Comcast forcing you to "share" the internet connection you've paid for and using your electricity so their so called customers can have wi-fi access from you as a collective hot-spot.

Pretty sure you can opt out of that.

If memory serves correctly you can, but you have to know its there to opt out, and some how I doubt Comcast is presenting it as an option.

Yeah, I can't remember where I read it in the past few days, but the article mentioned the opt-out option...

25. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 15:46 Pigeon

nin wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 15:29:

If memory serves correctly you can, but you have to know its there to opt out, and some how I doubt Comcast is presenting it as an option.

24. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 15:29 nin

23. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 15:23 DangerDog

I struggle to imagine what "literally worse than EA" looks like. What would a company have to do to be LITERALLY worse than EA? Let's take a stab at it:

No? How about corporations knowingly killing people either slowly (Monsanto) or more expediently (General Motors).

People seriously need to stop tripping over EA.

22. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 15:22 RavingArmy

Creston, you realize that if any of these ideas appear, we're all coming to your place for the lynching, right?  

21. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 14:52 descender

Said unreachable server will be shut down before the release date, but after pre-orders are taken.

Boxed PC versions of the game will come with actual bait. Switches can also be purchased, but only in collectors editions.

This is a fun game...

20. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 14:44 Pigeon

Second, you have to micro-transaction absolutely EVERYTHING. Not just pay-to-win shit, no, EVERYTHING. Want to change your keybindings? That'll be 5 bucks for the "Keybinder Unlock." Want to be able to quicksave? Ten bucks for the "Quicksave Unlock."

Fun bonus, every time you get an achievement, your credit card (which you have to provide before being allowed to install the game) gets charged three bucks, which shows up on your bill as "Administrative fees for processing an Achievement."

Ssh, don't give EA any ideas

19. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 14:21 Creston

I struggle to imagine what "literally worse than EA" looks like. What would a company have to do to be LITERALLY worse than EA? (edit: As a publisher) Let's take a stab at it:

First of all, you need to release games that are just plain unplayable. Not just broken like BF4, but unplayable. As in, all your customers just crash to desktop upon starting the game, or the controls in the game don't actually correspond in any meaningful way to what you are doing.

Second, you have to micro-transaction absolutely EVERYTHING. Not just pay-to-win shit, no, EVERYTHING. Want to change your keybindings? That'll be 5 bucks for the "Keybinder Unlock." Want to be able to quicksave? Ten bucks for the "Quicksave Unlock."

Fun bonus, every time you get an achievement, your credit card (which you have to provide before being allowed to install the game) gets charged three bucks, which shows up on your bill as "Administrative fees for processing an Achievement."

Third, of course, is that everything is online. Everything. The game, the install, the saves, EVERYTHING. And the online server has to never be reachable. Think Uplay, but worse.

Fourth, DRM. DRM? Of course! OUT THE ASS. Have some dipshit intern with three months of Java 101 homebrew some piece of shit DRM that wipes hard drives upon activation, refuses to revoke installations, installs itself as a 0 ring driver, constantly crashes your kernel, and can never be uninstalled no matter what you do.

Bonus, the DRM randomly refuses to allow you to start your game. Basically a 1 out of 3 chance or so, and it remembers that result for 72 hours. That seems legit.

And finally, the most idiotic marketing campaigns ever developed. Did one of your devs make a heartbreaking tale of a young girl losing her family and struggling to find her place in a vibrant, almost alien world? Market it as "WATCH THIS TEEN WHORE GET WHAT'S COMING TO HER WHOOOO!!!" while Cannibal Corpse plays in the background at volume 3900000.

I think that would be worse than EA, or really any publisher. I give it 5 more years before one of them gets there. Maybe they can merge and form ActiGramesArts.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2014, 19:38.

18. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 14:10 descender

Article:
A lot of people got the impression that we’re changing the EULA somehow to only now disallow these things, but they were never allowed.

Cutter post:
Isn't the real issue here the revised EULA?

STOP MAKING THEM SAD.

17. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 14:09 MindStalker3

Nope, no revision in the EULA. It was always in the EULA, it just simply wasn't enforced before. Change in enforcement, not a change in EULA.

Of course one could certainly argue lack of enforcement is permission, so you could possibly attempt to prove in court that this is a change. Good luck with that!

16. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 13:52 Cutter

Isn't the real issue here the revised EULA? My understanding was that it was never prohibited originally and only recently they changed their minds. If that's the case he really hasn't got a legal leg to stand on.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 12:37 Beamer

Ernest Renan said a similar form in the late 1800s. His variation was often changed to "it is not the starry sky that can give the most complete idea of the infinite, but human stupidity!"

It's not quite what he said, but still attributed to him long before anyone knew who Einstein was. Odds are it's just a nice phrase that's been around in some form or another for centuries.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 12:28 Mr. Tact

Interesting, I'd heard that quote attributed to Einstein before and thought it was odd because I thought Einstein preferred the idea of a static universe. Looking around it appears someone named Frederick S. Perls wrote a book and attributed the quote to Einstein. In a previous book he attributed a slightly different version of the quote to "a great astronomer." Whether or not Einstein said it appears to be in dispute.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 12:25 Jivaro

Beamer wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 12:13:
Nathos wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 12:01:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

I enjoy when someone uses an incorrectly attributed quote to prove stupidity.

I tried to track this one down once, just out of curiosity. I found this quote in an issue of the 1929 New Yorker, attributed to Einstein. Than I found a few others that were even earlier, including one where one man attributes it to Benjamin Franklin. Do you know who is actually given credit for it Beamer or is it one of those quotes that basically everybody has said? (which is what I decided was the case...)

12. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 12:13 Beamer

Nathos wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 12:01:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

I enjoy when someone uses an incorrectly attributed quote to prove stupidity.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo