Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Destiny Still Destined for PCs?

A post on Polygon from Thursday (thanks VG247) has comments from Activision CEO Erik Hirshberg about Destiny, Bungie's upcoming first-person shooter. While there are no plans for a Windows edition, he does discuss discussing this:

"It is [a good fit], and it's something we're talking about and looking at very carefully, and obviously it makes a lot of sense with the genre and the type of game it is," Hirshberg stated.

"Again, no announcements, but it's something that's a heavy point of discussion. And you asked how are we dealing with the complexity of developing for so many platforms, how about one more on top of that?" he continued.

"You know, developing on PC is a different animal than developing for consoles and so we just want to make sure that we're putting one foot in front of the other and getting it right, and that it's of the highest possible quality. But obviously I see the same things about the natural fit."

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 16, 2014, 13:10 Agent.X7

InBlack wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 04:33:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 16:54:
I can shoot 1K+ rounds out of real guns every range trip and not have tired hands.

Sounds...expensive...

Not if you buy cheap ammo.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 16, 2014, 04:33 InBlack

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 16:54:
I can shoot 1K+ rounds out of real guns every range trip and not have tired hands.

Sounds...expensive...

I have a nifty blue line!

46. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 16, 2014, 02:59 djinn

Fantaz wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 16:50:
also with all the crap that hovers on screen i find it hard to even see enemies properly like with the triangles, names and health bars hovering over enemies, and the hit point numbers that show every time you shoot an enemy. sort of like a mess of graphics. the last two bosses in the alpha are just ridiculously long also, and take forever to beat.

Couldn't agree more. Developers have taken the hand holding in hud design way too far and now it's just getting in the way. If a hud is needed in your game, please find a way to make it minimalistic. I want to see the world you created.

45. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 15, 2014, 19:23 Agent.X7

nin wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 18:18:
Played a few more missions and still on the fence. Got to the tank guy and couldn't go any further, as once again, no one was around...

I'll shoot you a friend X7. I don't multi much at all, but I'm always curious to see what other are playing/achievements, etc...

Hopefully they'll do another weekend later...

Beta is in July. I think you have to pre-order for that, though. I'm kind of waiting to see if they do a Collector's Edition, because I have a sickness.

I don't multi much either except in games that are all multi, like this or Driveclub when it comes out. I get all my multiplayer fun from the PC. ESO, BF4. Except Watch Dogs, because that just happens.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

44. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 15, 2014, 18:18 nin

Played a few more missions and still on the fence. Got to the tank guy and couldn't go any further, as once again, no one was around...

I'll shoot you a friend X7. I don't multi much at all, but I'm always curious to see what other are playing/achievements, etc...

Hopefully they'll do another weekend later...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

43. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 15, 2014, 16:54 Agent.X7

Fantaz wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 16:50:
i don't like how that always in Bungie games you have to shoot hundreds of bullets into an enemy just to kill it. kind of like Gears of War, it may be more challenging but it just gets boring for me after a while and tiring on the hands, especially shooting with the new trigger buttons on the new controllers that have more resistance when you press them. also with all the crap that hovers on screen i find it hard to even see enemies properly like with the triangles, names and health bars hovering over enemies, and the hit point numbers that show every time you shoot an enemy. sort of like a mess of graphics. the last two bosses in the alpha are just ridiculously long also, and take forever to beat.

The triggers don't really bother me. You don't have to crank them all the way back to shoot, so you can feather them very lightly over and over to get accurate burst fire. If that's tiring on your hands, you may need some sort of exercise. I can shoot 1K+ rounds out of real guns every range trip and not have tired hands. You'd better believe there's a lot more resistance in real triggers than on game controllers.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

42. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 15, 2014, 16:50 Fantaz

i don't like how that always in Bungie games you have to shoot hundreds of bullets into an enemy just to kill it. kind of like Gears of War, it may be more challenging but it just gets boring for me after a while and tiring on the hands, especially shooting with the new trigger buttons on the new controllers that have more resistance when you press them. also with all the crap that hovers on screen i find it hard to even see enemies properly like with the triangles, names and health bars hovering over enemies, and the hit point numbers that show every time you shoot an enemy. sort of like a mess of graphics. the last two bosses in the alpha are just ridiculously long also, and take forever to beat.  

41. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 15, 2014, 16:45 Agent.X7

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 15:51:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 14:15:
In the alpha you start at level 4 and you can only level to 8, so it's pretty limited. You can't really get a sense of what the story is.

How about how it is presented, that was more my wondering?

The limited story info in the alpha is presented by your Ghost, which is some small floating ball/robot/entity thing that floats by you for light and exposition.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

40. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 15, 2014, 15:51 HorrorScope

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 14:15:
In the alpha you start at level 4 and you can only level to 8, so it's pretty limited. You can't really get a sense of what the story is.

How about how it is presented, that was more my wondering?

39. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 15, 2014, 14:15 Agent.X7

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 11:03:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 02:21:
After spending the last 2 hours in a 3 man group taking on missions and then the final alpha boss, I have to say that I am going to pre-order this. It's just a lot of fun. Reminds me of Borderlands playing co-op.

Does it have a story being acted out like BL's? Another part of BL's that I like is the over the top characters and how it all is easily followable by them talking to us in the top right as we continue to move and fight. I still credit that was the magic that is System Shock 2 back in the day. Telling the story as we continue to play, not stop get story, go play, stop get story. Does Destiny deliver its story in a BL fashion as well? And what is the term we used to describe story telling like this?

Well, the overall story is given in the trailer. The Traveler shows up...well, to save time, watch the Fifth Element. That's pretty much what it sounds like. You've come back to Earth after a long time, and you're trying to piece together what happened. We only got one "story" mission in the alpha, and it's very early on. Then you go open world mode, looking for missions. When you make level 6, you can do the co-op "Strike" mission, which is a bunch of boss fights.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

38. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 15, 2014, 13:10 HorrorScope

Gruntstein wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 12:38:
I have a feeling that Valve has something similar to Destiny up their sleeves

HL3 with drop in and out Coop?

37. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 15, 2014, 12:38 Gruntstein

I have a feeling that Valve has something similar to Destiny up their sleeves with Left 4 Dead 3. By the time Bungie stops wringing their hands about a PC port, it's quite possible that Valve will have stolen their thunder.  

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 15, 2014, 12:06 Rigs

I've seen a lot of comments about how HALO was supposed to be this revolutionary shooter and 're-invent' the genre...blah blah blah...and that it was just another tired FPS. And you'd be right, but for one thing: the story. To me, playing HALO isn't about playing a shooter or what new shooter mechanics it brings to the table. No, I'm interested in the story and that's something that HALO does damn good, especially REACH and HALO4. I've read nearly all of the novels (except for the latest ones) and when playing, I feel like I'm watching a interactive movie version of the novels. And for a game to be able to do that, consistently, over many iterations, is pretty revolutionary in my book (no pun intended)...You keep your FPS, I'm perfectly happy playing my novel...

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

35. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 15, 2014, 12:04 Numinar

Story is the one thing I cannot call based on the alpha, seems to be just about none of it in there. I am guessing that the solo/co-op missions play out like a Halo campaign. With loot.

Fun though, putting in my Pre-order based on this. It's no Halo in terms of Combat (Where my one-hit melee to the back at?) Though it feels like it at first it's not as sharp. Gunplay and movement are 100% Halo, but the AI doesn't react to being hit/exploded in the same way, and it's lacking that sweet "Dual to the Death" one mistake from game over that Halo has on Legendary when up against an Elite. It's just you vs bullet sponge.

It is waaaaay better than the Warframe/BL/Diablo/MMO combat that normally comes along with this stuff however.

That's me though, probably too simple for a lot of you PCMR's. Seems like a good mix. I am pre-ordering based on this content, hopefully they haven't pulled a bait and switch with the amount of content in the full game.

As for not doing 60FPS? I don't feel it except in passing. Content+Gameplay over tech anyday. Got plenty of games that claim 60FPS and they don't feel or look as good as this.

34. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 15, 2014, 11:03 HorrorScope

After spending the last 2 hours in a 3 man group taking on missions and then the final alpha boss, I have to say that I am going to pre-order this. It's just a lot of fun. Reminds me of Borderlands playing co-op.

Does it have a story being acted out like BL's? Another part of BL's that I like is the over the top characters and how it all is easily followable by them talking to us in the top right as we continue to move and fight. I still credit that was the magic that is System Shock 2 back in the day. Telling the story as we continue to play, not stop get story, go play, stop get story. Does Destiny deliver its story in a BL fashion as well? And what is the term we used to describe story telling like this?

33. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 15, 2014, 10:54 Paranoid Jack

1badmf wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 07:09:
how did you guys get in the alpha test?

The alpha is a weekend access test for all PS4 owners. Not sure if it is available to any others.

32. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 15, 2014, 07:09 1badmf

how did you guys get in the alpha test?  

31. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 15, 2014, 03:03 Slick

it's too bad that they can capitalise on the vacuum created by not having any real 4-player co-op next gen "boarderlands-like" games, so they just offer this shovelware instead. looks like it was hobbled together in about 18 months from scratch. oh well, all this game is really doing is getting me excited about The Division (4 player co-op, random encounters with other groups, oh and doesn't look like garbage)

ugh, i hate myself for hating this hard, i really want to like this game, fucking EVERYONE will be playingit, i know it, i think i'm just delaying the inevitable.... sadness... overcomes me

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin

30. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 15, 2014, 02:21 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

29. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 14, 2014, 21:54 HoSpanky

Destiny doesn't really interest me. I lost interest in Bungie as a developer when 343 came stomping out with Halo 4. Most of H4 was spent wondering what next gen could really offer over that. Bungle has been tweaking the Halo engine for years and 343 has two years and absolutely blows Bungie out of the water.

Seriously, the ONLY thing Halo 4 failed on was Large Ship Explosions. They still looked like shit. Considering how good the rest of the game looked, it was disappointing.

So...Sorry, I'm more interested in what 343's gonna do next than Bungie. Especially when every trailer for Destiny just looks like Halo anyway.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo